Dining service charge question

bostonfred

I realize free at sea is really not free...20% gratuity on inflated drink package price for example, but when I see the dining service charge of $21.80 each on our invoice I am not sure what it is for. We have a 5 meal specialty restaurant package, as well as our two latitudes dinners. Which is it and how do they get $21.80?...we always leave a cash tip anyway as service is outstanding and we are blessed so why not be generous..but again what are they billing us for. Is this a percentage of what the meal package would cost and are they building in a gratuity? Just curious...thanks

You pay the gratuity up front. When you go to use the SDP on the ship, there will be a zero balance on the receipt. They may list the total charges you would have paid, though. One of my meals came in at over $140 for two people, but had a zero balance at the bottom.

49 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

I realize free at sea is really not free...20% gratuity on inflated drink package price for example, but when I see the dining service charge of $21.80 each on our invoice I am not sure what it is for. We have a 5 meal specialty restaurant package, as well as our two latitudes dinners. Which is it and how do they get $21.80?...we always leave a cash tip anyway as service is outstanding and we are blessed so why not be generous..but again what are they billing us for. Is this a percentage of what the meal package would cost and are they building in a gratuity? Just curious...thanks

I would just go with the basic cruise without all the additional perks (i.e., take the ones that are free). If you want a drink, pay by the drink. That way you avoid the inflated gratuity on the beverage package and dining package. 

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

If you want a drink, pay by the drink. That way you avoid the inflated gratuity on the beverage package and dining package. 

You will be automatically billed a gratuity for each individual drink you purchase under this scenario. So two $10 drinks a day will actually cost you (10 + 2 dollar gratuity + 10 + 2 dollar gratuity) for a total of $24. (and I don't believe there are many drinks as cheap as $10)

That is more than it would cost you for the "Free at Sea" unlimited drink package on a daily basis. Your scenario only makes sense if you are a VERY light drinker. 

~Brian

• Like 1

The gratuities on the SDP are beyond a bargain, they are very low for what you actually get!  UBP is another story, as we all know, but OP asked about SDP grats.

At least they are being displayed as grats.  When I booked my first “free at sea” I had no idea what my $225 “special services” charge was!   Back then they weren’t making it very clear that there was an autograt at all.

15 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

I would just go with the basic cruise without all the additional perks (i.e., take the ones that are free). If you want a drink, pay by the drink. That way you avoid the inflated gratuity on the beverage package and dining package. 

Great plan if you are going to have 1 drink a day.  If you plan on 2 better get out the calculator.