Water slides with kids that don’t meet the height restrictions

Hi all. 

Apologies if this has been asked before, I struggled with the search function in CC!

Our little one is a few inches shy of the 48 inches required to ride the Perfect Storm slides. Does anyone know whether children who don’t meet the minimum water slide height requirements to be able to slide on their own, can ride with an adult? 

Thanks in advance. 

21 minutes ago, Hawaii_Lover2 said:

Does anyone know whether children who don’t meet the minimum water slide height requirements to be able to slide on their own, can ride with an adult? 

This will depend on the staff at the ride, but unlikely.

Here's a link to the height requirements - hope this helps.  They're super strict with height requirements and measure the kids.  My son was about 5/8 of an inch short for flow rider and was denied (they made him take his shoes off for the measure - otherwise he would have been tall enough - lol).

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/are-there-age-requirements-or-height-restrictions-at-perfect-day-at-cococay

• Thanks 1

We were on navigator in April and they measured my 7 year old like everytime he went..after a couple days the crew recognized him and stopped measuring him. He was 48.5 inches....I am worried for my 3 year old b/c he is 41 inches and the small slide in the splash away bay on Adventure has a 42 inch rule but I am hoping they are a little more lax b/c it is a tiny slide in the middle of the deck, but who knows!!

My sister, who's a lifeguard, educated me on why you should never go down a waterslide with a kid in your lap. When the kid hits the water in front of you, they effectively stop for a split second. The adult is still moving behind them, and the impact from behind, combined with the surface tension of the water, can break the child's femur(s). Almost seems safer to let the child go down the slide on their own in "violation" of the height requirement, vs trying to go down the slide with them. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jaygee77 said:

My sister, who's a lifeguard, educated me on why you should never go down a waterslide with a kid in your lap. When the kid hits the water in front of you, they effectively stop for a split second. The adult is still moving behind them, and the impact from behind, combined with the surface tension of the water, can break the child's femur(s). Almost seems safer to let the child go down the slide on their own in "violation" of the height requirement, vs trying to go down the slide with them. 

Some more info if you want to read:

https://safe-wise.com/downloads/ConsiderationsforWaterSlideOperation.pdf

https://www.quora.com/How-are-the-weight-limits-and-height-limits-for-water-slides-calculated

BTW, Royal FAQ on what the height requirements are for various slides:

BTW, there are some slides that allow smaller children to ride with an adult, but they are already ones that allow a double tube.

Q

Are there restrictions for pools, water slides, and Flowrider®?

A

Pools

• No diving, running or horseplay
  • Use handrails and stairways to enter and exit the pool
  • No glassware or food allowed in pool area
  • Children must be supervised by an adult at all times
    • Complimentary swim vests are available in three sizes for children between the ages of 4 and 12. Swim vests can be picked up and returned near the towel station and are only intended for use onboard.
    • Licensed lifeguards will be monitoring the pools during specified pool hours.
  • Due to public health regulations, children in diapers, swim diapers, pull-ups, or who are not completely toilet trained are not allowed in the pools, and whirlpool.

H2O Zone℠

• Due to public health regulations, children in diapers, swim diapers, pull-ups, or who are not completely toilet trained are not allowed in the H2O Zone.

Flowrider®

• Height Restrictions: Guests must be at least 52" to boogie board and at least 58" to stand up surf.

Riptide℠

• Height Restrictions: 42" minimum
  • Weight Restrictions: 300 lbs. maximum

Splashaway Bay℠

• Height Restrictions: 42" minimum (42” minimum for the purple slide and 45” minimum for the yellow slide on Liberty of the Seas®)
  • Weight Restrictions: 300 lbs. maximum

The Perfect Storm℠ Waterslides (Typhoon℠, Cyclone℠ and Supercell℠)

• Height Restrictions: 48" minimum
  • Weight Restrictions: 300 lbs. maximum (220 lbs. maximum for Typhoon℠ and 250 lbs. maximum for Cyclone℠ on Adventure of the Seas®)

The Blaster℠

• Height Restrictions: 45" minimum (guests under 48" must ride with an adult)
  • Weight Restrictions: 400 lbs. maximum per raft (2 people)

Tidal Wave℠ Boomerang Slide

• Height Restrictions: 52" minimum
  • Weight Restrictions:
    • 75 lbs. individual minimum, 280 lbs. individual maximum
    • 450 lbs. total weight maximum
  • Double riders only. No single riders allowed. 

* Hours vary by day and ship. 

** Activities and experiences vary by ship. 

19 hours ago, Biker19 said:

and to satisfy RCI lawyers and insurers.

Exactly, and with good reason.  Imagine if they said "sure, he can ride with you."  And then something happened.  That parent could easily sue, saying "well I assumed it was safe since they let us do it.  Obviously it wasn't so they never should have allowed it.  They were negligent."