Book solo or for two?

smd247

I'm looking at going on a Canada/New England cruise next year but I'm not sure if I will be going on my own or with someone. Is it better to book for one and then add the second person later or book for two and then cancel the second person.  Also, can I change the name of the second passenger later if plans change?

2 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Book two now, you can change the name up to 24 hours before the cruise.

I have a different issue... I am a solo and when I try to book a balcony on the 4/13/20 Enchantment out of Galveston, it says there are no balcony cabins available... but if I put in 2 people, there are Balcony Guarantees available.  

I've read many posts here that say book a phantom passenger and just have a no-show at check-in and they will refund the port fees and taxes later.  There would be three of us doing the same thing... 3 solo cabins and all having a no show...  all Diamond status if it matters.

Suggestions?

2 hours ago, twincheryl said:

I have a different issue... I am a solo and when I try to book a balcony on the 4/13/20 Enchantment out of Galveston, it says there are no balcony cabins available... but if I put in 2 people, there are Balcony Guarantees available.  

I've read many posts here that say book a phantom passenger and just have a no-show at check-in and they will refund the port fees and taxes later.  There would be three of us doing the same thing... 3 solo cabins and all having a no show...  all Diamond status if it matters.

Suggestions?

Absolutely book this way.

for some reason Royal does not usually allow solos to book guys and this is the only way around it.  

Suggestions?

I always book solo and don't pay the port fees and taxes for the second person that could be i n the cabin.

Suggestions?

It's very common for guarantees to be restricted to two or more guests.   Book a phantom person in each stateroom and let them be a no shpw.

47 minutes ago, squadron said:

I always book solo and don't pay the port fees and taxes for the second person that could be i n the cabin.

If you book a cabin that has a non-show, you will be refunded the port fees and taxes.  The OP has a situation where they may or may not have a second cabin mate.  Easier to change the name after the fact than try to add a person to a cabin.

Several years ago, my wife was going to do a trip with my MIL to Israel.  I decided to do a Caribbean cruise during that same time frame as I had no interest in joining on what was essentially a pilgrimage.   When I booked the cruise, I put my wife's name as the second person in the cabin.  Lol and behold, the Israel trip was postponed due the fact that missiles were being fired.  My wife was able to join me on my cruise with no fuss and no muss.

3 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Yes you do.  

I didn't in the past, but it's been a long time (booked for two, second person didn't come).

Now I just book solo and if anyone wants to come I make them book their own cabin 🙂

Edited by Ewing

17 minutes ago, little britain said:

Yes you do.

The only grade where you do not get double points is when you book a studio cabin. 

48 minutes ago, SRF said:

Incorrect.

You will get the extra points.

I'm speaking from my personal experience where I've had issues getting them.

As I said in my follow up though, it was a long time ago (I now just book solo cabins) so they could have fixed it.

Edited by Ewing

3 hours ago, Ewing said:

I didn't in the past, but it's been a long time (booked for two, second person didn't come).

Now I just book solo and if anyone wants to come I make them book their own cabin 🙂

Given Royals IT system you may need to call to get the points but you do get them. 

6 hours ago, Ewing said:

The rules changed a few years ago, so, yes, if you sailed solo more than 6+? years ago, then you would not have gotten 2x points.

5 hours ago, Ewing said:

I'm speaking from my personal experience where I've had issues getting them.

As I said in my follow up though, it was a long time ago (I now just book solo cabins) so they could have fixed it.

A long time ago, you did not get the extra point for sailing solo, at all.

I am sure someone on here knows when it changed, or I can ask a friend, as she sails solo and had a number of cruises before the change.

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

The rules changed a few years ago, so, yes, if you sailed solo more than 6+? years ago, then you would not have gotten 2x points.

5 minutes ago, SRF said:

A long time ago, you did not get the extra point for sailing solo, at all.

I am sure someone on here knows when it changed, or I can ask a friend, as she sails solo and had a number of cruises before the change.

Oct 2013

I've always wanted to get clarification on this:

So, if I book a cabin for, say, me and a "friend". The friend will be a "no-show".  Would I have paid passage for two people instead of one?  Should I do final payment at the last possible date?  

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, SteadyBetty said:

So, if I book a cabin for, say, me and a "friend". The friend will be a "no-show".  Would I have paid passage for two people instead of one?  Should I do final payment at the last possible date?  

Unless the sailing is running a reduced solo supplement, the total cruise fare you pay for a solo is the same total you would pay for two people.  If you book for two people, you will pay port fees and taxes for two people.  However when that second person no shows you, they end up refunding one set of port fees and taxes.  If you don't want to shell out the second set of port fees and taxes upfront, you need to cancel the second person before the final payment date.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SteadyBetty said:

I've always wanted to get clarification on this:

Thanks!

Yes, and I always make final payment very close to the last possible date.

• Like 1