P&O drink package poor for wine drinkers

mickrory

When we embarked on 25th October we were inundated with requests to buy the drink package so we buttonholed a waiter to establish what we could drink if we bought it.

The 4 of us all enjoy copious amounts of wine but the £6.95 price excludes all 250cl glasses except house wine and Vinho Verde although you can purchase bottles of wine at a 40% discount.

Question is after shelling out £40 a day why would you want to start buying bottles? 

Wine by the glass in the package was limited so unless you buy the bottle no Chenin Blanc, no Fleurie, no Pinot Noir. Even standard cocktails like Aperol Spritz are not included in the package as over £7 and unlike Celebrity if it's over you pay the full whack not the difference.

After a few minutes discussion we agreed it wasn't for us. 

I was talking to a guy during week 2 who bought the package and he said although it worked for him during the day he had difficulty getting a second glass of wine in the MDR at dinner because his Sommelier had too many tables to service so this reinforced our view that the package would have been pretty useless for us.

• Like 1

I think your opinion matches that of many here.

Anecdotal evidence would suggest that the take up of the drinks package is pretty poor ( with the exception of some family orientated cruises, where the children's package is free if an adult package us purchased).  I wonder if the poor take up level is why you were put under pressure to buy the package.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, mickrory said:

When we embarked on 25th October we were inundated with requests to buy the drink package so we buttonholed a waiter to establish what we could drink if we bought it.

The 4 of us all enjoy copious amounts of wine but the £6.95 price excludes all 250cl glasses except house wine and Vinho Verde although you can purchase bottles of wine at a 40% discount.

Question is after shelling out £40 a day why would you want to start buying bottles? 

Wine by the glass in the package was limited so unless you buy the bottle no Chenin Blanc, no Fleurie, no Pinot Noir. Even standard cocktails like Aperol Spritz are not included in the package as over £7 and unlike Celebrity if it's over you pay the full whack not the difference.

After a few minutes discussion we agreed it wasn't for us. 

I was talking to a guy during week 2 who bought the package and he said although it worked for him during the day he had difficulty getting a second glass of wine in the MDR at dinner because his Sommelier had too many tables to service so this reinforced our view that the package would have been pretty useless for us.

We were on Ventura last month for 2, 7 night cruises. There seemed to be quite a few people on the package, you could see the extra symbol on their CC. Chatted with a few and they thought it worked for them on a 7 night cruise but thought any more would be a bit excessive. No good for us as my wife would never drink £40 worth in any one day. In fact on our second 7 nights we were no where near £40 per night for both of us.

Can’t see anyone on our next cruise taking the package, it’s 35 nights. That would be £2800

So, what are the current options?

We've just picked up a P&O cruise in December, it's been at least 3 years since we were last on P&O (preferring Celebrity).  We don't drink during the day but do like decent glug of wine with our evening meal and I do prefer to pay up front and forget about the price.  On previous P&O cruises our only option was wine packages e.g. 10 bottles got a xx% discount.    What are the current options?

20 minutes ago, Critique999 said:

We've just picked up a P&O cruise in December, it's been at least 3 years since we were last on P&O (preferring Celebrity).  We don't drink during the day but do like decent glug of wine with our evening meal and I do prefer to pay up front and forget about the price.  On previous P&O cruises our only option was wine packages e.g. 10 bottles got a xx% discount.    What are the current options?

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life-on-board/drinks_package

Scroll down on the link and then select wine packages.

14 minutes ago, wowzz said:

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life-on-board/drinks_package

Scroll down on the link and then select wine packages.

Thanks for the link . .

At £20+ for a bottle for wine the £40 a day package starts to look like a option worthy of consideration but then there's the small print . . . .

'An incredible array of beers, single-measure spirits, cocktails and wines by the glass up to £6.95 as listed on our menus' 

what wines are below £6.95 / what glass size (volume) is below £6.95? 

'Alcoholic drinks are limited to 15 beverages per 24-hour period (6am to 6am); Only one drink at a time may be ordered (minimum 15-minute wait between orders)'

I am sure we would not drink 15 glasses but I am not sure I like the idea of the 'drink's police' watching over me with a stop watch whilst I am on my holidays!

I am beginning to remember why we switched from P&O to Celebrity !

1 hour ago, Critique999 said:

Have a look at the link below, then do the maths to see if it would work for you.

http://cruisemummy.co.uk/po-cruises-drinks-menus-2019/

We find PAYG works for us but appreciate the P&O drinks packages apparently works for some.

Edited by P-L-B

5 minutes ago, Critique999 said:

Thanks for the link . . .

So, if it costs £6.70 for a 250ml glass of wine why would I pay £20 a bottle (the discounted price for 12 bottles)?

Because the £20 bottle is supposedly better wine than the wine you get by the glass.

With regard to your comment about Celebrity,  given the current fx rate, plus the service charge that Celebrity add to their drink prices,  I'd have to say that P&O drinks prices  in general are pretty competitive. 

2 hours ago, mickrory said:

The 4 of us all enjoy copious amounts of wine but the £6.95 price excludes all 250cl glasses except house wine

I don't think  that's right mickrory - a look at the t&c's says any drinks under £6.95, and excludes double spirits, but I can't see anywhere that it excludes 250ml wines, of which there are several available under the £6.95 cap:

What is Included •  The Ultimate drinks package is £39.95 per person, per day and includes an incredible array of beers, spirits, cocktails, liqueurs and wines by the glass retailing up to £6.95 per serving as listed on our menus, subject to availability.  Spirits will be served in single measures only with a draught soda or long life juice mixer.

Exclusions and Limitations •  The Ultimate drinks package excludes any drinks retailing above £6.95, all bottles of wine, large bottles of water (750ml/1.5L), canned or bottled premium soft drinks or juices and smoothies.

7 minutes ago, newbie cruissy said:

I don't think  that's right mickrory - a look at the t&c's says any drinks under £6.95, and excludes double spirits, but I can't see anywhere that it excludes 250ml wines, of which there are several available under the £6.95 cap:

What is Included •  The Ultimate drinks package is £39.95 per person, per day and includes an incredible array of beers, spirits, cocktails, liqueurs and wines by the glass retailing up to £6.95 per serving as listed on our menus, subject to availability.  Spirits will be served in single measures only with a draught soda or long life juice mixer.

Exclusions and Limitations •  The Ultimate drinks package excludes any drinks retailing above £6.95, all bottles of wine, large bottles of water (750ml/1.5L), canned or bottled premium soft drinks or juices and smoothies.

In the full terms and conditions it notes the following:- Ordering a double shot or a large glass of wine is not permitted under the programme as it counts as two drinks.

It certainly included the Ice wine, as I took full advantage of it the other week, and the gins came with small cans of tonic. Just order a small glass instead of a large, still plenty of choice such as Boomboom and Jam Shed. 

I had no problems getting wine with dinner, or an after dinner port/brandy. 

Edited by davemorton

56 minutes ago, wowzz said:
57 minutes ago, wowzz said:

With regard to your comment about Celebrity . . . P&O drinks prices  in general are pretty competitive. 

After 20 cruises over the past 15 years with various lines I know it's their job to get my money and they produce whatever business model they choose because they believe that models will get them the most profit. 15 - 20 years back there no all inclusive drinks packages and in recent years there has been a trend towards more and more cruise lines offering these packages.  Celebrity often throw it in for 'free,' of course I know it's not free, I pay for it in some other way but as packages go the P&O one has far greater restrictions/exclusions than any other I've had which is a shame.  I don't expect anything for nothing and as a captive audience I expect to pay a premium but I expect something for something and for example, if I buy 12 bottles in a package I expect a bit more than the possibility of it being a 'better' wine.  All that said, it is what it is and I'll probably buy those 12/24 bottles and that will do us.  (and then there's the bottles of water (last time they were £1 a bottle, probably £5 now)!

1 minute ago, Critique999 said:

and then there's the bottles of water (last time they were £1 a bottle, probably £5 now)!

Can't see the need to buy bottles of water  - just wasting money that could be spent on wine in  my view! 

Just now, mickrory said:

We perused the wine list on board. My wife wanted  NZ Sauvignon Blanc, my sister in law Pinot Noir, my brother Chenin Blanc and me a Washington Merlot.

Couldn't get any of these in a 250 glass on the package.

Are you sure you should be on P&O?  You and your party are much too sophisticated  judging by your tastes in wine!

15 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Are you sure you should be on P&O?  You and your party are much too sophisticated  judging by your tastes in wine!

I choose my wine by illiminating anything from Europe then I look for the highest alcohol content (works for me) :)

• Haha 1

We like the Chilean Merlot and a Sauvignon Blanc also from Chile.  I think they are £17.95 and £18.95, but can't remember.

Anyway, on the first night at dinner, we order one of each colour and it comes back to the table each night.  I drink a large glass of wine in the bar and my OH has a whisky and GA.  We are nowhere near that package, not even half of it!!

2 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

We like the Chilean Merlot and a Sauvignon Blanc also from Chile.  I think they are £17.95 and £18.95, but can't remember.

Anyway, on the first night at dinner, we order one of each colour and it comes back to the table each night.  I drink a large glass of wine in the bar and my OH has a whisky and GA.  We are nowhere near that package, not even half of it!!

Those prices are as cheap as chips.I drink Pinot Grigio Rose and that is £16.Who needs a package at those prices.