Service Dogs!

roger b

We were having dinner in Red Ginger  the other night , I had little white dog sitting next to me, on enquiring I was told it was a service dog.

I don't  know what policy is regarding dogs in the restaurant  on a ship ,personaly I do not like it as people were petting the dog.

How many dogs will Oceania allow on their  ships as I would not like everyone to bring their  pets !

Edited by roger b
Left out a letter

1 hour ago, roger b said:

How many dogs will Oceania allow on their  ships as I would not like everyone to bring their  pets !

Here in the United States, at least, Service Dogs on cruise ships appear to  fall under the "Public Access" section of the Americans with Disabilities Act. 

Judging from the blue text below, the Law applies to cruises which begin or end within the USA :

Service dog teams are granted public access

Commonly referred to as “public access,” qualified disabled Americans, including those using a prescribed service dog to mitigate a disability, have civil rights protections against discrimination in the activities of public accommodations on the basis of their disability under Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).  Many states have enacted similar legal protections at their local level.

For ADA protections, the Department of Justice has defined Service animal means any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability.usdoj-bw25-150x150.png?x81857

Other species of animals, whether wild or domestic, trained or untrained, are not service animals for the purposes of this definition. The work or tasks performed by a service animal must be directly related to the individual’s disability.

Civil monetary penalties

Maximum civil penalty for a first violation under title III from $55,000 to $75,000; for a subsequent violation the new maximum is $150,000.  The new maximums apply only to violations occurring on or after April 28, 2014.

The text of the ADA defines the term “commerce” as means of travel, trade, traffic, commerce, transportation or communications (A) among several states; (B) between any foreign country or territory or possession and any state; or (C) between point in the same state but through another state or foreign county.  The text of the ADA defines “commercial facilities” as facilities (A) that are intended for nonresidental use; and (B) whose operation will affect commerce.  Commerce does not include rail operations or locations exempted from coverage under the Fair Housing Act. (§ 12181 (1-2)).

The text of the ADA defines a “private entity” means any entity other than a public entity (§ 12181 (6)).  Requirements on state and local governments and departments, public entities, are found in Title II of the ADA.

The text of the ADA defines 12 areas of private entities that are considered public accommodations for the purposes of Title III, if the operations of such entities affect commerce:

(A) an inn, hotel, motel, or other place of lodging, except for an establishment located within a building that contains not more than five rooms for rent or hire and that is actually occupied by the proprietor of such establishment as the residence of such proprietor;

(B) a restaurant, bar, or other establishment serving food or drink;

(C) a motion picture house, theater, concert hall, stadium, or other place of exhibition entertainment;

(D) an auditorium, convention center, lecture hall, or other place of public gathering;

(E) a bakery, grocery store, clothing store, hardware store, shopping center, or other sales or rental establishment;

(F) a laundromat, dry-cleaner, bank, barber shop, beauty shop, travel service, shoe repair service, funeral parlor, gas station, office of an accountant or lawyer, pharmacy, insurance office, professional office of a health care provider, hospital, or other service establishment;

(G) a terminal, depot, or other station used for specified public transportation;

(H) a museum, library, gallery, or other place of public display or collection;

(I) a park, zoo, amusement park, or other place of recreation;

(J) a nursery, elementary, secondary, undergraduate, or postgraduate private school, or other place of education;

(K) a day care center, senior citizen center, homeless shelter, food bank, adoption agency, or other social service center establishment; and

(L) a gymnasium, health spa, bowling alley, golf course, or other place of exercise or recreation.

Here's the Oceania policy - UK version  (see item 12):

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/Documents/Legal/13534/UK_TicketContract-062514.pdf

As for the U.S., The key to ADA interpretation of "yea or nay" on a bona fide service animal is the requirement to provide "reasonable accommodation" to an individual with disabilities.

IMO, the confined environment of a ship, when it is at sea, cannot reasonably accommodate the health and safety needs of our four legged friends. 

did it have a bow in it's hair & a stroller type cart?

If people were petting it

It is not  a service dog

If it is the same person we had on one of our cruises   then I think  they just did not want the dog left at home

You read about these "service" animals on other lines

They get dressed up & sit at the table  etc..

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

did it have a bow in it's hair & a stroller type cart?

If people were petting it

It is not  a service dog

If it is the same person we had on one of our cruises   then I think  they just did not want the dog left at home

You read about these "service" animals on other lines

They get dressed up & sit at the table  etc..

Yes, and everyone who wears sneakers into the Dining Room does not have a medical condition that warrants it and a good number of the abled bodied sometimes use wheelchairs because they don't enjoy walking long distances-

Ethics are no longer taught in the schools, what do you expect?

I find this interesting because I believe I recall many years in the past FDR saying no, never to dogs.  But that may have been before the U.S. law went into effect regarding service animals.  But I agree, it's not a good situation for the dog even if it makes the owner happy.  I can understand that some people may really need that animal ... but then is a cruise the right vacation for the person?  And I don't think the dog should have been at the table either.

• Like 1

service dogs  usually sit  under  the table/beside the owner  & people are not allowed to pet "real" service dogs  when they are working

One lady had a lab on the cruise   when wearing his vest/harness  people would ask if they could  pet him

The owner explained  he was working  so no petting

• Like 6

If O is going to allow "service dogs", little ones that sit on laps, I think I will have my 4 pound toy fox terrier certified as a service dog, emotional therapy dog, so I can bring her on my upcoming 2 O cruises and not have to pay for a pet sitter. She makes me very happy and calm when sitting on my lap, performs a service for me. She keeps my blood pressure down.

In case you missed it, turn on your sarcasm meter now.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, tropicalkerry2002 said:

We had a sheltie dog on our last  O cruise from Seattle to Miami. Currents stated it was a service dog, and thanked us for our understanding. The dog NEVER wore any kind of vest or harness, which I think should have...even though I know they are easily purchased on line.

I would  agree

They should have a harness & the vest 

To add my opinion  there should be  a National registry  for trained  service animals  & papers issued to say they are trained  for the purpose intended.

Not papers you can buy off the internet

There is  a lady  near us  that has a service pig  you see her with it around  town ...not kidding

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, tropicalkerry2002 said:

We had a sheltie dog on our last  O cruise from Seattle to Miami. Currents stated it was a service dog, and thanked us for our understanding. The dog NEVER wore any kind of vest or harness, which I think should have...even though I know they are easily purchased on line.

Phony "service" dogs:  Yet another reason to avoid cruises that start or end in Swamplandia.

25 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Phony "service" dogs:  Yet another reason to avoid cruises that start or end in Swamplandia.

I saw a questionable service dog on a mass market cruise last year around the horn, beginning in Santiago and ending in Buenos Aires.  The owners were on our deck in an inside cabin with their pit bull mix...14 days. I also saw it at the airport, near our gate, when we leaving a few days later.  If it was on our flight, it would have been a horrid experience for the animal and any passengers, since it was BA to Newark. 

On the slight chance that it even was a true Service Animal, what they dragged that animal through was weird and bordered on inhumane.

33 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

The owners of the dog look like a well heeled couple and it must be for emotional support,  I have no objection  to the dog being on the Sirena but Not being taken into the restaurants,  there have been  reports of the dog being heard barking in the night !! 

7 minutes ago, Noxequifans said:

Reluctant to raise the question, but where on the ship do these dogs "relieve" themselves. 

I asked this question to the owner the other night and was informed  that  that is trained  to go on a mat it the statroom yuk! Lets hope it does not have any accidents  !

57 minutes ago, roger b said:

The owners of the dog look like a well heeled couple and it must be for emotional support,  I have no objection  to the dog being on the Sirena but Not being taken into the restaurants,  there have been  reports of the dog being heard barking in the night !! 

If they need "emotional support,"' they should purchase the Prestige Package and leave the dog at home so it isn't forced to relieve itself in the cabin (or on the balcony)that one of us may occupy on a different cruise.

That is just sooooo gross and unfair to that poor animal.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

If they need "emotional support,"' they should purchase the Prestige Package and leave the dog at home so it isn't forced to relieve itself in the cabin (or on the balcony)that one of us may occupy on a different cruise.

That is just sooooo gross and unfair to that poor animal.

I  have an idea for the marketing  dept   why don't  they run a special cruise for dog owners  ,a definate sell out !!

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

+1000

We don’t do Carribe cruises and this gives us ample reasons to never do one!

We are both dog owners and lovers, but they don’t belong on cruise ships! 

• Like 2

We have been on several cruises with real service dogs - blind owners, wheelchair-bound with MS, etc. - and none of those true service dogs would ever sit at a table (they would always under the owner's legs), bark or allowed to be petted while on duty. They were well-trained, true service dogs. I have no problem at all with these. Then there are those (as mentioned above) who get phony, online papers for their so-called "support" animal simply because they can't bear leaving lil' ol' Poopsie at home. For those I say "STAY HOME with them!"

• Like 8

I doubt anyone but the owner would.  On top of this, there are people who truly have allergies to dogs.  They would be particularly unhappy, I would think.  I'm a dog lover as well, but I don't think they belong in the dining room.  I can see an exception for the true service animals that sit at the owner's feet.  But only for them.  For the record, I've never seen ANY pets on board Oceania ships.

• Like 1