Observations from Himself

Himself

Two weeks ago today I flew to FLL from Chicago ORD to start on a cruise on the NIEUW STATENDAM.  This was my second voyage on this ship.   I have been both a passenger and a chaplain.   I will be on the Koningsdam in three months.  There are many nice things about this class of ship. I love the pool area and the fact that they show nightly movies by the pool side.   The Dining room is nice and the lido restaurant is very bright and spacious. I do not like the narrow Promenade Deck. I love the World Stage. It is the best of the different classes of ship.

The Captain and the crew are outstanding. I wish there was a different location for the Lincoln Center Stage rather than the musicians having to share with the BB Bing Blues people.  On the other class ships the classical stage is back near the dining room.   I do not like the BB King stage having two levels. It makes the Promenade deck very noisy.

OTHER OBSERVATIONS AND COMMENTS. 

When I left the ship, I was regretting not doing a second week in the Western Caribbean. I stayed in Ft. Lauderdale for two extra days.   I stayed at the Hilton Marina. On Sunday evening I walked up to THE BRAVO only to find out they went out of business. All in all, I had a restful and wonderful time.

If you have any questions I will try and answer them.

Respectfully Submitted:

HIMSELF

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HAL4NOW said:

Were you able to set the time for mass, or was it designated by ship personnel? 

How many interdenominational services took place each week?  Were you asked to lead those, or were they congregationally led?

The time is set by the cruise line and adjusted by the facilities manager.  The Interdenominational sevice is led by the congregation and if no steps in they ask the priest to lead. This the current HAL policy.

34 minutes ago, DoggyDaddy said:

Himself, we are taking a 44 day cruise on the Koningdam around South America. Will you be on part, or all of this cruise?

DD

I am not on this sailing. I will be in Naperville Illinois saying "Wow is me that my sojourn on land has been prolonged."

Edited by Himself

3 minutes ago, DoggyDaddy said:

Himself, do you get cruise credits towards status during your “official” cruises? If so, just curious as to what star and Medalian level you have attained.

DD

When I go as a passenger I get credit.  I am a 3 Star Mariner.  When I act as Chaplain I am Service Staff and I do not get mariner credits.

Reverende:

It's a wonderful tribute to HAL that you've chosen to sail as a paying customer all the way to 3-star Mariner status. 

When you sail as a passenger, I infer that there is still a Catholic chaplain engaged as part of the Service Staff. Do you help out in any way? Concelebrating perhaps? I imagine it would happen only rarely that an "official" chaplain would not welcome your presence and active participation.

14 hours ago, Himself said:

The time is set by the cruise line and adjusted by the facilities manager.  The Interdenominational sevice is led by the congregation and if no steps in they ask the priest to lead. This the current HAL policy.

Thanks for the explanation. I’ve wondered, and personally would prefer the priest to lead the Interdenominational service.

One time I was on a multi week cruise that included a large Polytheistic group. Their leader lead the interdenominational service. Since then I attend mass with my RC brothers and sisters.

9 hours ago, Petronillus said:

Reverende:

It's a wonderful tribute to HAL that you've chosen to sail as a paying customer all the way to 3-star Mariner status. 

When you sail as a passenger, I infer that there is still a Catholic chaplain engaged as part of the Service Staff. Do you help out in any way? Concelebrating perhaps? I imagine it would happen only rarely that an "official" chaplain would not welcome your presence and active participation.

I might help with Communion but that is it.  I do not bring an Alb to Concebrate.

26 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Thanks for the explanation. I’ve wondered, and personally would prefer the priest to lead the Interdenominational service.

One time I was on a multi week cruise that included a large Polytheistic group. Their leader lead the interdenominational service. Since then I attend mass with my RC brothers and sisters.

It would be well to communicate  this information to HAL particularly on the surveys they send to you.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TiogaCruiser said:

What the heck?  That is weird, to say the least.