Need help - ran up a big cell phone bill but had Net package

3 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

For those with an iPhone:

Airplane mode

I always put my iPhone in Airplane mode from the control center. You don’t have to open settings. You can swipe down from the lock screen or home screen. 

2E5FF7BE-B782-42B1-84AC-FBCF934C68EC.png

Edited by Charles4515
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cutigerlady said:

I had this happen to me on a Disney cruise with AT&T.  When we got back on land, my phone had been suspended.  I called AT&T and found out the only way to prevent the international charges was airplane mode. I thought turning cellular off was enough.

That is true but misleading. The only way to turn all cellular radios off is airplane mode so whatever you did to turn cellular off, if it wasn’t airplane mode, then you didn’t actually turn cellular off. In other words, turning cellular off is enough...if you actually turn cellular off.

2 hours ago, broberts said:

Does this not disable Wi-Fi calling and eliminate any locally stored contacts?

2 hours ago, broberts said:

Not on the SIM?

Yes, removing the SIM card will disable WiFi calling through your carrier. As for contacts on the SIM card, that went out years ago. Smart phones don’t store contacts on the sim.

12 minutes ago, blackshirt said:

Yes, removing the SIM card will disable WiFi calling through your carrier. 

But you can do WiFi calling with an app like Google Voice. It's something you have to think about in advance and get set up, but with it, you are able to make phone calls via the internet and not via cell towers.

To clarify - turning on airplane mode will turn off all radios in most cases, but the ones you want back on (usually Bluetooth and WiFi) can be turned back on after airplane mode has been enabled.

As @blackshirt noted, most phones today don't store contacts on the SIM card.  In fact - the Pixel devices don't have the option for local storage anymore, leaving cloud storage the only option anymore on those devices.

6 hours ago, blackshirt said:

No one said it was a negative. I only said airplane mode was simpler. If you want to remove your SIM card and advise others to do so, you go right ahead.

I have no idea what a SIM card is or where to find it. So, I agree, no airplane mode for me.

7 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

Many good responses here. The one I haven't read is to simply remove your SIM card. Then you are absolutely assured that your phone will only be functioning on the WiFi and not accessing any cell towers.

Oh God, I can't imaging anyone who doesn't know about airplane mode or turning off data and roaming,  would be  able to wrap their head around removing a sim card and keeping it safe. That's a scary thought  for anyone technically challenged. Anyone who could remove a sim card would know to take the simpler precaution but it would work.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

...  I still would not remove the SIM card unless I was inserting another SIM. It is easier to put the phone in Airplane mode than to remove the case and then the SIM card.. ...

Agree.

WiFi Calling folks.  Activate it at home.  Keep it activated, it's FREE.  Turn off Data Roaming.  Put your cell phone in Airplane Mode to "force" it into WiFi Calling whenever you are hooked up to the internet.  It's easy, it's free, and you can use your phone anywhere in the World for no charge other than daily WiFi service on the ship or hotel.  You can go into WiFi Cafes worldwide and use it. You can use it on WiFi equipped buses or vans.  You just have to be on the WiFi.  Why is everyone making this so complicated?  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Oh God, I can't imaging anyone who doesn't know about airplane mode or turning off data and roaming,  would be  able to wrap their head around removing a sim card and keeping it safe. That's a scary thought  for anyone technically challenged. Anyone who could remove a sim card would know to take the simpler precaution but it would work.

Well...the funny thing about that is that removing a SIM card is a physical thing...like mechanical. And some people are quite gifted in that area. Dealing with software functions is a different skill set, and some people have real issues with software logic. I totally get what you are saying though...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

WiFi Calling folks.  Activate it at home.  Keep it activated, it's FREE.  Turn off Data Roaming.  Put your cell phone in Airplane Mode to "force" it into WiFi Calling whenever you are hooked up to the internet.  It's easy, it's free, and you can use your phone anywhere in the World for no charge other than daily WiFi service on the ship or hotel.  You can go into WiFi Cafes worldwide and use it. You can use it on WiFi equipped buses or vans.  You just have to be on the WiFi.  Why is everyone making this so complicated?  

Wifi calling worked great on Anthem. The call didn't break up. We even utilized FaceTime.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

That is mostly true but just be aware that when using your carrier’s WiFi calling in a foreign country, it is the same as if you were back in the US connected to a cell tower. You don’t get any roaming charges but calls are treated as if you are calling from the US so if you are in France and call a French number, you will pay international long distance.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChinaShrek said:

I have no idea what a SIM card is or where to find it. So, I agree, no airplane mode for me.

I'm sure you misunderstand (since you say you have no idea what a SIM card is) - removing the SIM card is not a requirement for enabling Airplane Mode.  Removing the SIM was only suggested as a way to prevent any cellular network use.  Use airplane mode when on the ship.

SIM is short for Subscriber Identity Module.  It is the way your device is identified to the cellular network so you can make and receive calls and use the internet when not near WiFi.

Where is it?  It's usually in a "tray", if you look at the edge of your phone you should see an oblong cutout with a pin-hole at one end.  I think iPhones have it on the top edge, Pixel devices have it along one of the sides.  If you were to gently poke a pin into that hole the tray would pop out and you'd see a small chip the size of a pinky nail.  If you're curious and try this, do it while sitting at a table and turn the phone off first.  Better yet, just watch the video below.  Don't just go poking into random holes on the edge of your phone, phones also have pinholes for sound-canceling microphones.

4 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I believe the change makes sense as it is no longer required to turn off WiFi on airplanes, only cellular. I agree there are many variations and all should verify the actual functioning of the phone they own. Also verify WiFi calling before the cruise as some updates have required re enabling it. 

Odd because I'm running the latest IOS and just put my phone in airplane mode. Bluetooth is on but wifi is off. I'm paranoid about this anyway so I always turn off data and roaming and put it in airplane mode, then check to see if wifi and bluetooth are on.

26 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Odd because I'm running the latest IOS and just put my phone in airplane mode. Bluetooth is on but wifi is off. I'm paranoid about this anyway so I always turn off data and roaming and put it in airplane mode, then check to see if wifi and bluetooth are on.

Do you have WiFi calling turned on? I always have it on. Maybe that’s why WiFi is staying on in Airplane mode on mine. I notice it says AT&T WiFi when I put the phone in Airplane Mode. I used to have to turn WiFi back on when putting the phone in Airplane Mode but not as it is set now. 

Edited by Charles4515

Just now, Charles4515 said:

Do you have WiFi calling turned on? I always have it on. Maybe that’s why WiFi is staying on in Airplane mode on mine. I notice it says AT&T WiFi when I put the phone in Airplane Mode. 

No wifi calling is off. Wifi turned off in airplane mode. I have to turn it back on. Bluetooth stayed on. Maybe I miss understood your post.

1 minute ago, Iamcruzin said:

No wifi calling is off. Wifi turned off in airplane mode. I have to turn it back on. Bluetooth stayed on. Maybe I miss understood your post.

Interesting, my WiFi and Bluetooth both go off when I switch to Airplane mode.