Holland America Sucks!

mcirv

28 minutes ago, Despegue said:

ps. Royal Caribbean/ Celebrity offers guaranteed Interline offers. 

Why book interline on HAL?

There are many generous last-minute deals on so many HAL itineraries. Some big discounts even a year from departure!

26 minutes ago, kazu said:

It was not I but VennDiagram who asked the brilliant question 😉 

Kazu:  Gotcha.  You are still a genius though from other postings!!!!

VennDiagram:  I must give credit where it is due.  Nice catch and you are a genius!

(I hope this thread dies a quick death but alas, I am keeping it alive! by posting)

• Thanks 1

Now I will admit it was years ago but when I was an airline employee the first rule we were told about was DO NOT TALK about interline fares and discounts.  The second rule was that nothing was guaranteed.  We could be asked to get up and deplane as there was a full paying customer that needed our seat and smile while you did so.  When it came to interline cruises one could pack their bags, head to a pier and find themselves still there as the ship pulled away.  It's a shame the OP doesn't appreciate the opportunity he/she has, take advantage of when he/she can and keep his/her mouth shut.

• Like 16

Very interesting dynamic going on with this thread.

Like many others here, I have never previously heard of an "interline" rate. It sounds like a special deal that is available only to travel-industry insiders (kind of like flying on stand-by?), that comes with certain restrictions and risks, and that the insiders are expected to keep a low profile about.

If all of the foregoing is accurate, it sounds (to me, at least) like the OP was ill-advised by his TA, neglected the fine print to his peril, and is now churlishly lashing out at HAL.

I too toss kudos to VennDiagram for solving the mystery.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, regnig said:

Now I will admit it was years ago but when I was an airline employee the first rule we were told about was DO NOT TALK about interline fares and discounts.  The second rule was that nothing was guaranteed.  We could be asked to get up and deplane as there was a full paying customer that needed our seat and smile while you did so.  When it came to interline cruises one could pack their bags, head to a pier and find themselves still there as the ship pulled away.  It's a shame the OP doesn't appreciate the opportunity he/she has, take advantage of when he/she can and keep his/her mouth shut.

I was very much aware of the bumping procedures. The problem that I had was that I paid for a Veranda and they gave me a ocean view with no offer of a refund for the difference in cabin. To me that is a bait and switch and they were forcing me to take it without a refund. No one should pay for any product and have to accept something lesser without a refund.  There was the same cruise 2cweeks later and the full fare was $400 cheaper per person. I have interlined many years and have been bumped, but never treated like this. I enjoy the benefits but if a company is going to do this they should not even offer the discount.

• Like 1

I wouldn't say that Holland America sucks at all. Seems like the OP is at fault if he/she did not read the obvious interline restrictions. The thread topic title is very wrong and misleading to other HAL passengers. No one can talk you into something (Club Orange) if you don't want to do it.

There was a very similar thread on the Crystal board a few months ago. A very inflammatory thread-header by the OP who slammed Crystal, as well as all other posts responding to their perceived mistreatment by the cruise line. Same investigative-type thread: the OP was booking on a heavily discounted, restricted interline rate. Paraphrasing regnig's comments above: these are very restrictive, industry-courtesy fares that should not be discussed in public forums, lest these industry "perks" will cease to exist for those that qualify. Discretion should be observed. No sympathy here with the OP from those of us not eligible for these travel industry reduced fares.

Closure to this tale: the CC moderators eventually removed the most cynical, sarcastic and insulting comments from the OP and then closed the thread to future comments.

• Like 1

It should be made clear that interline rates are not small discounts from the published rates but are for the most part very large discounts. This is not the get an additional onboard credit or cashback by using a travel agent as opposed to booking directly with HAL.   I tested the pricing on a cruise I was considering.  The going price with all the normal consumer discounts as advertised by the cruiseline and advertised by independent travel agencies was twice what the interline rate was for the same cruise and room.    I then tested the pricing on other cruises advertised by the interline agency and found similar discounts.  A typical example I found was a Seabourne cruise list priced at $50,000 but really selling for $25,000 was $12,500 on the interline. Nobody would pay the list price but most of the passengers would be paying the $25,000 with whatever additional benefits might be offered by their travel agent but no where near the additional one half off the interline fare. 

It is not surprising that the Cruise Lines would have a number of major restrictions when they sell their berths a such a substantial discount.

• Like 3

I used to work in the airline industry and frequently took advantage of certain "interline" and other industry perks. Whether it be jumpseating, pass travel, perx, you name it. EVERYONE knew that it was a privilege and not a right. You were even required to be on your best behavior when using these benefits. Think of it as you are someones "guest" and that you are representing your "employer." Travel on these passes was free or SUBSTANTIALLY discounted. That was the trade off. If you wanted to be a drunk member of the hoi polloi, pay full fare. The fact that this person is complaining about a benefit really grinds my gears.

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, SumoCitrus said:

I used to work in the airline industry and frequently took advantage of certain "interline" and other industry perks. Whether it be jumpseating, pass travel, perx, you name it. EVERYONE knew that it was a privilege and not a right. You were even required to be on your best behavior when using these benefits. Think of it as you are someones "guest" and that you are representing your "employer." Travel on these passes was free or SUBSTANTIALLY discounted. That was the trade off. If you wanted to be a drunk member of the hoi polloi, pay full fare. The fact that this person is complaining about a benefit really grinds my gears.

Bolding is mine.

That’s exactly how my TA explained it to me.  emphasized we had to dress appropriately (we usually do anyways 😉 ) in biz class and on the ship, etc.

1 hour ago, SumoCitrus said:

44 minutes ago, kazu said:

Bolding is mine.

That’s exactly how my TA explained it to me.  emphasized we had to dress appropriately (we usually do anyways 😉 ) in biz class and on the ship, etc.

I don't know if it's still this way, but the airline a friend worked for had a dress code for employees flying on passes. They were always the best-dressed people on the plane.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, doone said:

That's why I book the specific cabin I want with no upgrades, then I am never disappointed...................................

EXACTly  the way   to book any travel MO.   Book and pay for just what you want and what will make you happy.  Most of the problems of this sort seem to be a result of   trying to 'get more, for less..   IMO  No one made you  agree to the 'upgrade.  '    Most to hope for when booking travel    :   Hop  e   to get what you pay for and nothing more.

If you used a reputable TA, they would have dealt directly with TA and not you.  Hard lesson to be learned here.

image.png.be229cb7d7eec25cff46e051e7d9bda3.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

Edited by sail7seas

57 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I don't know if it's still this way, but the airline a friend worked for had a dress code for employees flying on passes. They were always the best-dressed people on the plane.

I worked in the airline industry for a few years. Multiple times a year we would get 'buddy passes'. There was a strict dress code for anyone who used the pass. If I gave my passes to any friends, I would make it clear that they had to dress nice and if they didn't get on the flight to not make a scene. Many times friends or extended family to some employees would complain to gate agents about not getting a guaranteed seat and guess what? That employee's buddy passes were revoked and they weren't allowed to receive any in the future.

• Like 2

Looking  at another aspect of the  complaint.....

Last year,  we booked  Panama Canal cruise very late a nd  got a Dolphin Deck port hole midship cabin on Vollendam. We liked it so much,  especially going through the  canal, that we requested the same cabin on sister ship Zaandam on a cruise next spring.  

Vacations and journeys are what you make of them. The cruise is more important than the cabin. And a bird in the hand...etc.  Especially if you're getting a discounted fare!  

2 hours ago, SumoCitrus said:

True that, and wear a jacket and tie, and always count who you perceived to be other "non-revs" hanging near the boarding gate to try to figure out who was left in front of you, and how many seats were left. "Fun" times but those bennies were great as were the heated cashews flying 1st class to HNL! :classic_smile: 

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 1

I think we are missing the crux of the OP's complaint.  He booked a cruise at an interliner rate.  He later upgraded to a more expensive cabin and paid the upgrade fee.  HAL jacked him around, telling him his cabin was sold, then telling him it wasn't sold at the last minute, then telling him that they would only refund the cost of the original cabin and he would have to eat the cost of the upgrade.  Another point is that HAL is in the business of filling all the cabins on the ship.  If cabins are empty many of the crew members make less money.  It is their business decision to offer these otherwise empty cabins to interliners at a discount price.  But there is no reason for them to lie to the passenger or to cheat him out of what he has already paid.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

I think we are missing the crux of the OP's complaint.  He booked a cruise at an interliner rate.  He later upgraded to a more expensive cabin and paid the upgrade fee.  HAL jacked him around, telling him his cabin was sold, then telling him it wasn't sold at the last minute, then telling him that they would only refund the cost of the original cabin and he would have to eat the cost of the upgrade.  Another point is that HAL is in the business of filling all the cabins on the ship.  If cabins are empty many of the crew members make less money.  It is their business decision to offer these otherwise empty cabins to interliners at a discount price.  But there is no reason for them to lie to the passenger or to cheat him out of what he has already paid.

Maybe. Once again we have no information on what rate he was on for the upgrade. Perhaps it was also an interline rate where the amount would be substantially less than a "normal" rate and the same interline restrictions apply.

From those posts on this thread from those familiar with interline rates and have used them, it does sound like changes and cancellations could be made up to the time the airplane door closes or the ship's gangway is pulled.

Without a complete explanation of the rates and conditions under which he was booked, it is not clear that he was lied to or cheated.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

He later upgraded to a more expensive cabin and paid the upgrade fee. 

8 hours ago, mcirv said:

They talked me into an upgrade to a better room and other perks through their Club Orange

I read the OP's comment to mean that one of the perks obtained through purchasing Club Orange was an upgraded room (which is one of the benefits of CO, I recall).  I have not experienced CO, but from comments I have read, it seems that CO participation is capacity controlled.  Since the OP refused to sail, I can understand why HAL would refuse a refund on a capacity-controlled offer the OP purchased.  The OP's purchase denied HAL the opportunity to sell that CO "spot" to someone else.

6 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Why book interline on HAL?

There are many generous last-minute deals on so many HAL itineraries. Some big discounts even a year from departure!

You obviously don’t know what interline is.

It’s not an agency but a special rate that some get.  It is MUCH CHEAPER than any last minute deal or discounts we normal paying passenger will ever see.

It’s a sweet deal but it has a lot of terms and conditions which apparently the OP didn’t like despite their highly discounted cruise.

Just now, *Miss G* said:

Sounds like it’s going to be their last sweet deal.

Yup, if they are caught being vocal, they are done like a dinner if the terms remain as I remember them 😉 

1 hour ago, kazu said:

You obviously don’t know what interline is.

It’s not an agency but a special rate that some get.  It is MUCH CHEAPER than any last minute deal or discounts we normal paying passenger will ever see.

It’s a sweet deal but it has a lot of terms and conditions which apparently the OP didn’t like despite their highly discounted cruise.

The OP said, “The agency that I used told me that they would take HAL off of their website if they could because of poor customer service but have to keep it to service some of their other customers, but they no longer actively market them. I refused to take a product that I didn't want or pay for.”  

On my last cruise, the offer for Club Orange came through my TA since HAL doesn’t work directly with passengers who have a TA; I think the OP’s TA would have explained the risk and the OP’s anger is definitely misplaced.

Edited by PatsyAnne
  • Thanks 1