Port of Miami boarding - Times how strict?

Patterzone

Hi All,

We made a sonewhat risky move as on Sunday we embark our ship but before that we watch Dolphins game at Hard Rock stadium. Game begins at 13:00 and ship leaves at 19:00. Game ends around 16:05 Originally I thought we will check in to the ship in the morning and just board it around 17:30. (MSC Meraviglia)
However I just recieved my cruise ticket and it says boarding is from 16:15 to 17:00. Now I am a little scared as the journey from the stadium is only 20 minutes normally but after the game it might be hard to find a taxi + roads night be closed, traffic can be bad...

Anyone had experience with traffic in Miami after football game? How to get to the port as fast possible?
Also: is this check in time that strict? For me it is hard to believe you could not board a ship which leaves at 19:00 until at least 18:00.

Thanks for the inputs.

16 minutes ago, Patterzone said:

Hi All,

We made a sonewhat risky move as on Sunday we embark our ship but before that we watch Dolphins game at Hard Rock stadium. Game begins at 13:00 and ship leaves at 19:00. Game ends around 16:05 Originally I thought we will check in to the ship in the morning and just board it around 17:30. (MSC Meraviglia)
However I just recieved my cruise ticket and it says boarding is from 16:15 to 17:00. Now I am a little scared as the journey from the stadium is only 20 minutes normally but after the game it might be hard to find a taxi + roads night be closed, traffic can be bad...

Anyone had experience with traffic in Miami after football game? How to get to the port as fast possible?
Also: is this check in time that strict? For me it is hard to believe you could not board a ship which leaves at 19:00 until at least 18:00.

Thanks for the inputs.

The tone of your post demonstrates that you already know that what you are proposing is a really bad idea since there's no way you'll make that 17:00 boarding cutoff.

1 hour ago, Patterzone said:

Hi All,

Thanks for the inputs.

Are you serious.  The capacity of Hard Rock Stadium is 65000 people who will all be trying  to leave at the same time.  You are allowing yourself 1 hour to get from the stadium as you have to be on board at 17:00, not 18:00.   You propose to try to find a taxi at that time outside the stadium.  Can you imagine the traffic jams.

Have you actually thought this thing through.

DON

You obviously need to think about risk vs reward.  The risk is that you get to the port too late and are denied boarding.  The reward is that you get to see some more of Dolphins.    Given that the Dolphins are truly one of the worst teams in the NFL, I would much rather be on the MSC ship :).  As to other comment about 65000 people being at the stadium, I think it will be a long time before the Dolphins are able to fill their stadium.  But even with 45000, the traffic can be nasty.  And finding a taxi could be difficult.

Hank

6 hours ago, Patterzone said:

Most cruise lines require you be on board at least 90 minutes prior to departure as their final passenger manifest needs to be submitted to US Immigration by then, so you would need to be on board by 17:30 latest. If you are not on board by then you will not be able to board.

I am an NFL season ticket holder who has been going to games since 1997 and I will say from experience that you are not taking somewhat of a risky move with your plan - you are running a huge cruise threatening risk with this.  Your luggage may sail away without you.....

If you are truly committed to going to this game, I would agree with marco and suggest leaving at half time. And hopefully you will be able to get a taxi or Uber then.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

MSC is not 'most cruise lines'.  They state on their website that you must be onboard two hours before sailing, which would be 1700.  I don't know if they observe this strictly, as I have never tried it.  We have always boarded about 1230-1300.  Best info would be on the MSC board here, under Cruise Lines A-O.  EM

• Thanks 1

So this question is not about "Port of Miami strictness", but about required boarding times and procedures. As mentioned, in US ports, manifests must be turned into Customs and Border Protection (not the port) a required time in advance of sailing. Additionally, worldwide, lifeboat drill must be completed prior to sailing. So most, if not all, cruise lines require you to be onboard at least 60 minutes is advance of scheduled sailing, and some cruise lines, as much as 2 hours. 

If this will me, I would be leaving no later than the end of the third quarter, by taxi or Uber. I might even leave at half.

There will be fans at a Miami Dolphins game?  With their record, I'd think the stadium will be mostly empty. Maybe they are playing a contender and that teams' fans will show up?

Anyway, the OP has to decide what is more important, watching his team lose or boarding the ship for his cruise.  If it were me, I'd just go to the port and forget about the game.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, evandbob said:

Maybe they are playing a contender and that teams' fans will show up?

Even with their recent offensive struggles, I would agree that there will be plenty of my Birds fans there as they do trend to travel very well......😉

3 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

MSC is not 'most cruise lines'.  They state on their website that you must be onboard two hours before sailing, which would be 1700.  I don't know if they observe this strictly, as I have never tried it.  We have always boarded about 1230-1300.  Best info would be on the MSC board here, under Cruise Lines A-O.  EM

If MSC cuts off boarding at 1700, and the game, which starts at 1300 and runs the typical three to three and a half hours, OP is thinking about getting out of the stadium, getting ground transport, and getting to the port (“20 minutes normally” - which obviously does not mean being in a mob of tens of thousands - many going in the same direction) in a half hour.

He is either kidding (there are trolls who like to build a bit of drama as part of their cruise anticipation), or is already planning to leave at half time.

13 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

He is either kidding (there are trolls who like to build a bit of drama as part of their cruise anticipation), or is already planning to leave at half time.

Agree, except the OP made no mention of leaving at halftime, but rather was trying to confirm if leaving after the game would work with his boarding time frame.  The halftime departure suggestions came in response.  So yes, he is either kidding (as a troll) or is now wisely considering leaving at halftime as a change to his posted plans....

3 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Even with their recent offensive struggles, I would agree that there will be plenty of my Birds fans there as they do trend to travel very well......😉

We traveled well when we were crap, so what's the difference now

6 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Additionally, worldwide, lifeboat drill must be completed prior to sailing.

Not quite true. Actual regulations require it to be held within 24 hours of sailing. That's why MSC holds a second life boat drill the next morning for those cruisers that boarded at or after the life boat drill at 5. Still falls within the 24 hour regulation. I'm guessing Patterzone will be a second morning person (if he makes it at all) unless he gives up his plan. 😀

Dear All,

Thanks for all the inputs! Obviously my question rather look foolish but let me explain:

We are actually Hungarian Eagles Fans so we somewhat came for this game as well. 🙂 I only been to cruising from Dubai where I could board the ship in the morning. So I originally thought when I saw the ship’s schedule that I check in before the game and with the cruise card in hand we go to the game and then we can boadd it only 1 hour before departure. Any chance of this?

42 minutes ago, Patterzone said:

Dear All,

Thanks for all the inputs! Obviously my question rather look foolish but let me explain:

We are actually Hungarian Eagles Fans so we somewhat came for this game as well. 🙂 I only been to cruising from Dubai where I could board the ship in the morning. So I originally thought when I saw the ship’s schedule that I check in before the game and with the cruise card in hand we go to the game and then we can boadd it only 1 hour before departure. Any chance of this?

What part of "you won't be there when that ship's gangway is withdrawn" (no matter when you "checked in") do you not understand?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Patterzone said:

Dear All,

No, for all the reasons already stated.  Your idea is understood, but suggest you carefully re-read all the responses - all the reasons why this is not a good plan have already been given to you. 

If you are set on going to the game regardless, I again strongly suggest you leave at halftime. 

22 hours ago, Patterzone said:

Dear All,

No, there is no chance of this.  Give it up.  In Dubai, you do not have US Customs and Border regulations to deal with.  You do in Miami.  They're in charge, and they don't make exceptions.  So you'll have to choose whether or not you want to see a football game or go on a cruise.

So a little update how it went. We left around the middle of the 3rd quarter and there was still zero traffic. Arrived to the port at 15:45 already. Asked the guys what could have been the limit, one of them told me 17:30, other 18:00. Anyways when we left we were winning 28-14, at the end we lost 31-37 to THE DOLPHINS, so it was might be the best thing to leave. 😄

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Patterzone said:

So a little update how it went. We left around the middle of the 3rd quarter and there was still zero traffic. Arrived to the port at 15:45 already. Asked the guys what could have been the limit, one of them told me 17:30, other 18:00. Anyways when we left we were winning 28-14, at the end we lost 31-37 to THE DOLPHINS, so it was might be the best thing to leave. 😄

Good to know you were able to make it, after all.