Princess Behaving Poorly in New Zealand

lissie

9 minutes ago, geoherb said:

I wish the cruise lines would do away with the costumed crew members posing for photos. Doing so would speed up getting off the ship even for those of us who never stop to pose.

I wholeheartedly agree. We have over 25 cruises and have never, ever posed for a picture with one of the characters at the foot of the gangplank (or anywhere else for that matter).

In all those cruises I remember two ports where the locals where very involved with the disembarking (Saguenay, Canada) and embarking (Cobh, Ireland) passengers and made such an impression on us that I remember it years later.  In Saguenay there were dancers, musicians, and other costumed locals handing out samples of maple syrup and blueberries and willing to explain anything and everything about their town as we disembarked for our excursions.  In Cobh it seemed like the entire town turned out for our sail away.  The town band played on the pier accompanied by a handful of costumed (Titanic era clothing) townsfolk while the main street above the port was filled with waving spectators.  As we weighed anchor, the band played Anchors Away until we were out of earshot.

In other ports we have enjoyed small groups of musicians and dancers, often dressed in folk costumes, as we disembarked.  It is a wonderful experience disembarking the ship in a new place and hearing folk music and watching folk dancers for a few minutes (or more).  I have no idea who pays for the entertainment but I would guess that it is the local tourist/port authority.  Maybe Princess can encourage local musicians and dancers (and the port authorities obviously) in other ports to do the same.

2 hours ago, geoherb said:

I wish the cruise lines would do away with the costumed crew members posing for photos. Doing so would speed up getting off the ship even for those of us who never stop to pose.

Totally agree. They are treating us like little children in a kindergarten school or pre-school to line up with the special fuzzy characters. Its ever so condescending and childish to treat grown adults like that.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Brisbane41 said:

I have never been a fan of this cheap and tacky way to get childish and mindless photos with passengers who are purportedly adults with crew members forced into indignity and disgrace themselves by dressing up in childish costumes. It really is disgraceful that the crew are forced to do this. If it is not stupid furry animals then it is some sort of gnarly pirate or some character you would expect to find at a 2 year old's birthday party, yet Princess sees fit to demand their crew gets dressed up as these silly things to pose for photos with adults, middle aged adults and retirees.

Obviously enough passengers purchase these overpriced photos to make it profitable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

In all those cruises I remember two ports where the locals where very involved with the disembarking (Saguenay, Canada) and embarking (Cobh, Ireland) passengers and made such an impression on us that I remember it years later.  In Saguenay there were dancers, musicians, and other costumed locals handing out samples of maple syrup and blueberries and willing to explain anything and everything about their town as we disembarked for our excursions.  In Cobh it seemed like the entire town turned out for our sail away.  The town band played on the pier accompanied by a handful of costumed (Titanic era clothing) townsfolk while the main street above the port was filled with waving spectators.  As we weighed anchor, the band played Anchors Away until we were out of earshot.

In other ports we have enjoyed small groups of musicians and dancers, often dressed in folk costumes, as we disembarked.  It is a wonderful experience disembarking the ship in a new place and hearing folk music and watching folk dancers for a few minutes (or more).  I have no idea who pays for the entertainment but I would guess that it is the local tourist/port authority.  Maybe Princess can encourage local musicians and dancers (and the port authorities obviously) in other ports to do the same.

The difference is that those welcoming the ship and seeing it off were not being used as props in a photo taken by ship's photographers to sell to the passengers.

Wow, the world is just too sensitive.  Soon no Halloween or Santa Claus.   IMHO, expecting everyone to be concerned about an item of entertainment or marketing is not realistic.  But if something bothers you it is good to point it out, just don't expect everyone to agree.  Also demonizing companies and people over it may be a bit much.

• Like 3

At the same time the shop owners have no problem selling souvenirs that were made in China passed off as being from their culture. :classic_rolleyes::classic_laugh:

They just want to force the cruise ship to hire locals instead of using their own people even if they were dressed properly.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, caribill said:

The difference is that those welcoming the ship and seeing it off were not being used as props in a photo taken by ship's photographers to sell to the passengers.

Understood and one of the reasons we never pose with them.  I think that, in response to the concerns in the article, Princess should encourage local groups to meet the passengers such as is already done in some ports. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, capriccio said:

In all those cruises I remember two ports where the locals where very involved with the disembarking (Saguenay, Canada) and embarking (Cobh, Ireland) passengers and made such an impression on us that I remember it years later. 

I  understand the traditional mooning of the last ship departing Skagway by the local residents makes quite an impression too.

17 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

Princess cannot win!  And I feel no sympathy for those who claim to be offended -- ....

I’m certainly in no need of your sympathy, but I am one who does find it distasteful.  

While I don’t think for a second that these staff were trying to be intentionally racist, their actions show an ignorance similar, sadly, to some of the comments in this thread.  

It is hard to explain tikanga (Māori culture/custom) to someone who doesn’t live and breath it, but the act of ceremoniously welcoming someone to our homeland is taken seriously.  The role is usually only given to people with experience and respectful status. Likewise, Māori moko (facial tattoos), are culturally significant and tell the story of ones ancestry.  They are not just a set of thrown on, haphazard paint lines    

The issue here is not that these ‘welcomers’ were a race other than Māori, it’s that they clearly had no understanding of the race they were trying to mimic.  It’s like they had picked up the grass skirts from some costume shop in Hawaii, they modelled their face paint from some kind of pretend army war game and they’re throwing around a couple of actions they might have seen on tv during a rugby match.  

When you’re not culturally connected to something, it might be hard to see why a poorly created mock-up could be considered inappropriate.  However, I’m sure even those who say Princess did nothing wrong, have a piece of their culture that they wouldn’t like to see treated irreverantly.  It could be the crew getting off the ship and singing a completely made up version of your national anthem or the crew putting on a silly wig that stereotypes your native hair style.  

Either way, my guess is that Princess will be a bit more sensitive from now on which can only be a good thing.  

Edited by oskarNZ
  • Like 9

So, does this mean that we can finally get rid of St. Patrick's Day, when people run around getting drunk, wearing shamrocks and other green paraphernalia, trying to imitate leprechauns and mocking an "Irish jig"?

In relation to the topic above, I think everyone would be better served if Princess spent a few dollars and pay the locals to

dress up in native costumes. Princess could still use their photographers and probably make more money on the pictures. At the same time, the crew wouldn't be subjected to dressing up either.

I am Irish and English !  people get a grip!!! I can partake or not! Husband is Hispanic careful he may be offended that he was not asked to ohhh I don't know cook rice and beans at the San Juan  port!He  grew up in Cayey! To further tick people off I refer to myself as Irish rican sometimes I have earned it after 40 years! of marriage and one wonderful child that will defend your behind no matter what ! State Trooper!

Your on vacation do what you want ignore the crap you don't! 

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

Wow, the world is just too sensitive.  Soon no Halloween or Santa Claus.   IMHO, expecting everyone to be concerned about an item of entertainment or marketing is not realistic.  But if something bothers you it is good to point it out, just don't expect everyone to agree.  Also demonizing companies and people over it may be a bit much.

We already have "Seasonal Greetings" instead of Merry Christmas. 🙂

I am not even a Christian, but we liked Christmas traditions and spirit when we first moved to US.

Many things changed since mid 90-es...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

The only offense taken by the locals was the fact that Princess didn't hire them.

This was my first and main thought while reading this article.

• Like 2

Interestingly, the same thing was done when the Ruby Princess was in Tauranga four days ago. Those photos are still for sale in the Photo Gallery. Princess may be asking the contracted photo department to refrain from repeating these actions, but as long as there is money to be made, it is being tolerated on board.