Ventura broken down?

AndyMichelle

22 minutes ago, eeyoreworld said:

We are due to sail on the Ventura 17 December. I asked on P&Os Facebook page if the ship is fixed and likely to sail, they confirmed the cruise will be going ahead... I've not started packing yet as not convinced! I'm hoping it will go ahead but would hate to make the journey down to Southampton just to be sent back home.

From reports, she is coping OK with rocky seas through Bob and should arrive 8pm tomorrow. 

Hope all is OK and you have a great time. 

Andy 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

From reports, she is coping OK with rocky seas through Bob and should arrive 8pm tomorrow. 

Hope all is OK and you have a great time. 

Andy 

Great stuff, that's reassuring, we are well stocked with travel sickness pills so here is hoping for a safe return for everyone and the repair holds up 👍

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

A different level of compensation for Holland America passengers who had their cruise cancelled last night.

Different type of customer - that's the reason. 

P&O know that most of their customers are older, more accepting, more 'loyal', less savvy, and much more likely to accept whatever's thrown at them.  Time and time again we see this.

47 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Different type of customer - that's the reason. 

P&O know that most of their customers are older, more accepting, more 'loyal', less savvy, and much more likely to accept whatever's thrown at them.  Time and time again we see this.

Different type of customer or different type of consumer protection laws?  I don't know the answer, it is simply a question I would like to understand.  

Well Holland America is also owned by Carnival, so surely compensation should be the same for any complete cruise cancellation.

Unless there are other extenuating circumstances that we are not aware of, ( don't ask me what ) then I can see a legitimate right of complaint, for those concerned.

Remember " if you don't ask you don't get "

?? The fact that the passengers were in the main American, might have some bearing on it, they are so litigious .!!

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

A different level of compensation for Holland America passengers who had their cruise cancelled last night.

Screenshot_20191216-072427.png

The entire cruise was cancelled. The people on their way back had already had a cruise as far as the canaries. Those on the short cruise that was cancelled have had a full refund, so not really like for like.

4 minutes ago, the english lady said:

The entire cruise was cancelled. The people on their way back had already had a cruise as far as the canaries. Those on the short cruise that was cancelled have had a full refund, so not really like for like.

I think Josy is comparing the compensation differences for the cancelled cruises, i.e. the 4 nighter  on Ventura, not the cruise it actually broke down on. 

1 hour ago, crompton21 said:

Different type of customer or different type of consumer protection laws?  I don't know the answer, it is simply a question I would like to understand.  

Cruise booked and taken in the US. Different Consumer rights. There are a number of other areas where the consumer laws are far better than those in the U.K. e.g. if your cruise drops in price you can claim the difference.

19 minutes ago, dunnster1965 said:

I think Josy is comparing the compensation differences for the cancelled cruises, i.e. the 4 nighter  on Ventura, not the cruise it actually broke down on. 

You are correct, I was just comparing the cancelled P&O cruise NOT the delayed return cruise. 

My husband and I were discussing the Ventura situation last night and came to the conclusion that if we had been on the broken down ship we would have just gone with the flow and enjoyed the extra time in Tenerife, we would not have been bothered about compensation because we thought that an extended holiday was a bonus.  I appreciate that being retired we are in a different situation than many passengers because we wouldn't have anything important to rush home for.  My husband does have heath issues that require a lot of medication but he always takes an extra week's worth of medication in case of emergency.

We have been on a broken down cruise with Princess and we were pleasantly surprised at the level of compensation that we got because we did not lose any of our holiday albeit that the last 2 days were in a hotel in Venice rather than on board the ship.I

On 12/12/2019 at 9:48 PM, Bin man said:

On my app I use for tracking says just that 16th 18.00 due in Southampton so don't know how accurate that will be but time will tell 

According to Southampton Ventura due to dock at 21.00 on the 16th she is now sailing up the channel at 14 knots 

2 hours ago, daiB said:

your cruise drops in price you can claim the difference.

I'm not sure that is due to legislation,  per se, just the terms of the contract. Saga do a similar price match,  so there is no reason why other UK cruuse lines could not do the same.. 

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

I'm not sure that is due to legislation,  per se, just the terms of the contract. Saga do a similar price match,  so there is no reason why other UK cruuse lines could not do the same.. 

it is I have read about it on here and on other boards for many years. It used to come up time after time when P&O used a different pricing structure, before fluid pricing, at that time there used to be huge discounts late in the booking period and sometimes not so late. As you can imagine it was always a hot topic. In the US consumer rights legislation means that if there is a price drop the cruise line has to give it to all passengers. The down side is that it is up to the customer to ask, it is not just given.

You  hear little now as large scale price drops are now not common.

3 hours ago, Officeboy said:

According to Southampton Ventura due to dock at 21.00 on the 16th she is now sailing up the channel at 14 knots 

currently about 35 miles SW of Nab pilot station at 10knots

according to latest Moments  Captain Willard was due off on the 13th

2 hours ago, sogne said:

currently about 35 miles SW of Nab pilot station at 10knots

according to latest Moments  Captain Willard was due off on the 13th

So the Captain had an extra long time away then! Wonder what his overtime package is?! 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, jeanlyon said:

I would very much doubt that is overtime.  Aircrew that get stuck somewhere for a few days, just get different time off.

I was half joking Jean! I actually hope he wasn’t planning to go off on a holiday himself as soon as he got back!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

So the Captain had an extra long time away then! Wonder what his overtime package is?! 

Sadly I doubt there is any overtime, I know because my hard working husband is a ship's Captain. He's scheduled for his time away and if in port or at sea, he works 12-18 hours per day with no days off for weeks at a time (and certainly no overtime) until it's time for his leave. No such thing as the European working time directives when you work at sea. He works for one of the companies with better conditions as well!

Edited by eeyoreworld
  • Like 1