On board the Celebrity Edge

zltm089

22 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I have not been in mine yet (2/16/20!!!) but I LOVE them for the fact that they offer a solo option that is not an indoor coffin!!

Edited by zltm089
Duplicate post

On 12/15/2019 at 2:17 PM, hcat said:

We really liked it  and would book another .  The Sunset Veranda cabin was larger with an awesome balcony but we hardly used it..too much sun.

Are the sunset verandas at the back of the ship?

On 12/13/2019 at 3:36 PM, davekathy said:

OP... Not impressed with the look of the IV. A category we wouldn't book. 

Agree 100%  The allocated balcony space is too small and they replaced real balcony furniture with miniature chairs and a table that is too small to use for meals on the balcony.  Designers had no clue as to how people really use the balcony.  The elimination of the Sky Lounge and any forward viewing space for non-suite guests also eliminates some of my favorite areas on the ship.  If you are in a suite, it doesn't matter because suites  did not get the "innovative" IV balcony concept and still have access to the best areas of the ship. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Agree 100%  The allocated balcony space is too small and they replaced real balcony furniture with miniature chairs and a table that is too small to use for meals on the balcony.  Designers had no clue as to how people really use the balcony.  The elimination of the Sky Lounge and any forward viewing space for non-suite guests also eliminates some of my favorite areas on the ship.  If you are in a suite, it doesn't matter because suites  did not get the "innovative" IV balcony concept and still have access to the best areas of the ship. 

Miniature chairs in IV's on The Edge? Where? When?

Not as of 1 Dec 2019...

bon voyage

23 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Miniature chairs in IV's on The Edge? Where? When?

Not as of 1 Dec 2019...

bon voyage

The miniature chairs and table shown in this picture from the most recent sailing.  No where near as comfortable as the standard chairs on the S class ships.

20191124_114627.jpg

Edited by ipeeinthepool

44 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

The miniature chairs and table shown in this picture from the most recent sailing.  No where near as comfortable as the standard chairs on the S class ships.

I can assure you these chairs are NOT 'uncomfortable', are they overstuffed? NO.

I Am an ample sized late mid-age man and found the chairs acceptable. I could read in these chairs, have cocktails, snacks or just snooze for a bit..

Could the table be larger, sure, yet since I only had cocktails or snacks or read while sitting in my IV, I found it acceptable.

Are these chairs ones which you want to sit in for hours? NO!

There is always getting the bed by bathroom so the sofa is by the balcony if one really wants more 'comfort', then again I Am sure there can be a case made that even the sofas are not comfortable, as well...

Yes, we can always find 'better' somewhere else and that is fine if one requires better. I cannot fault the thought(s) and approach desired.

Yet, based on MY first hand experience, the furniture is fine and functional, maybe not to everyone's taste and comfort even throughout the ship, yet it is fine for me and others, especially since I have to live with it for only two (2) weeks max..

I do understand your perspective based on photos though, as that is one (1) way to judge furnishings vs actually trying them to be sure. Now were one to say that the furniture was not their style, that is a totally different issue, to me. Personal preference.

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

I can assure you these chairs are NOT 'uncomfortable', are they overstuffed? NO.

I Am an ample sized late mid-age man and found the chairs acceptable. I could read in these chairs, have cocktails, snacks or just snooze for a bit..

Could the table be larger, sure, yet since I only had cocktails or snacks or read while sitting in my IV, I found it acceptable.

There is always getting the bed by bathroom so the sofa is by the balcony if one really wants more 'comfort', then again I Am sure there can be a case made that even the sofas are not comfortable, as well...

Yes, we can always find 'better' somewhere else and that is fine if one requires better. I cannot fault the thought(s) and approach desired.

Yet, based on MY first hand experience, the furniture is fine and functional, maybe not to everyone's taste and comfort even throughout the ship, yet it is fine for me and others, especially since I have to live with it for only two (2) weeks max..

I do understand your perspective based on photos though, as that is one (1) way to judge furnishings vs actually trying them to be sure. Now were one to say that the furniture was not their style, that is a totally different issue, to me. Personal preference.

bon voyage

Here's picture, from poffles, of some comfortable chairs and a decent size table for a balcony.  This happens to be a large balcony with a lounger.  Standard balconies are about 2/3's the size of the standard balcony ise adequate for these sitting chairs and a table large enough to have a meal.   These chairs have adjustable backs and I could spend many hours in one of these chairs.  Add a footstool to these chairs and you have a great arrangement.   Unfortunately the Edge IV balconies are far too small to accommodate this size table and chairs.  IMO the size of the balcony is an inherent problem with the IV balconies and prohibits a decent size chair and table.  

It's great that the Edge chairs and table suit you, unfortunately the new design chairs and table don't  work for many of us.

Enjoy your future cruises

713.JPG

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Here's picture, from poffles, of some comfortable chairs and a decent size table for a balcony.  This happens to be a large balcony with a lounger.  Standard balconies are about 2/3's the size of the standard balcony ise adequate for these sitting chairs and a table large enough to have a meal.   These chairs have adjustable backs and I could spend many hours in one of these chairs.  Add a footstool to these chairs and you have a great arrangement.   Unfortunately the Edge IV balconies are far too small to accommodate this size table and chairs.  IMO the size of the balcony is an inherent problem with the IV balconies and prohibits a decent size chair and table.  

It's great that the Edge chairs and table suit you, unfortunately the new design chairs and table don't  work for many of us.

Enjoy your future cruises

Thank you for posting the photo, I suggest that 'most' of X's traditional balconies in standard balconies are NOT that size, yet your point is made were they...

I can accept that they do not work for those who only have seen the photos and decided, the point is I can accept that IV's do not work for many in the same demographic for the same reason(s). The droning I, personally, object to is the issue.

I have no basis to argue the point for those reasons, except for my direct experience and encounter with the IV's and the furniture and tech around the ship. Which was enjoyed overwhelmingly by our group of 13.

I agree the The Edge experience is not for everyone like every other ship or class of ship or cruise line is for everyone, as well...

Yet your point is and has been accepted accordingly.

bon voyage

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:
27 minutes ago, VitaminSea53 said:

Bo you are such  a Gentleman.  Truly a breath of fresh air on these boards. 

I second that.    I want to meet him in person.   I'm sure our paths will eventually cross.

Thirded.  🙂 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don’t understand why it doesn’t seem to be okay to like the IV cabins.  Whenever I read a post from someone who really liked it and explains why, there are always a bunch of people who have to chime in and say why the IV is terrible, practically calling the person who liked it a liar.

I hope someday that people who like them will be “allowed” to like them instead of being told they are wrong.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, VitaminSea53 said:

Bo you are such  a Gentleman.  Truly a breath of fresh air on these boards. 

Agree😀 and Bo please don’t take the bait thrown from someone who has never stepped foot on the Edge.  He just wants to stir the pot for attention, sad.

Edited by Oville
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bo1953... were you on this last cruise (12/15)??  I am a HUGE fan of your posts and truly appreciate your "level" posts.  I'd love to share a beverage with you some day.  As you know, my recent cruise was challenging.. but the ship and her crew were fantastic.  Film at 11. 🙂

• Like 1

My final review will be posted later... I usually post daily and have fun with it.  BUT... Celebrity has a VERY long way to go as a customer friendly company.  Our Edge crew and ship experience was overall.. pretty good... but  inevitably hampered by Celebrities disconnected (land) reservations service and the information they fed me and my long time travel agent (no rookie there!).  She often called me back in total frustration after an hour or more phone call with Celebrity's folks.  We never felt confident of our reservations or excursions.  What you'd like to happen on your vacation is a "baton hand off" where you sprint to the finish line (after a year long run of setting stuff up)  and in the end you board the ship and it all coasts to the finish.  You actually relax ALL week.  No, I joined the line to our suite concierge - who later knew me by name on arrival as did I her.  At one point we got a reservation card on our door for Chefs Table that was for 7:45pm 12/22 - TODAY on the day we leave the ship!!.  Really?!.  To our concierge managers credit (MOR) she set things right while shaking her head at the TOTAL disconnect within the system.  Again.. nice trip.. WAY too much effort once onboard.. but I LOVE the folks onboard.  Film at 11.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Chefwoody said:

Bo1953... were you on this last cruise (12/15)??  I am a HUGE fan of your posts and truly appreciate your "level" posts.  I'd love to share a beverage with you some day.  As you know, my recent cruise was challenging.. but the ship and her crew were fantastic.  Film at 11. 🙂

c - we were on 24 Nov sailing, Thanksgiving...

As stated before, I Am so sorry for your challenges.... I had a few too, but figured out the best way to calmly to handle them as I was with 12 others who know me as cool, calm, creative and collected (or so they think I Am that way... LOL).

Just wanted to make sure the newbies to X and/or sailing had a great time and we did... despite it all.

Yes, I would enjoy having "beverages" with you for sure...

Cheers and bon voyage

Hello all - thank you for your kind words...

I really did not want Zltm's very good thread to be hijacked, if anyone has the opportunity to do so, he is the one to meet!

Also, if anyone has the opportunity to do so, please read chef's postings, sorry I was not there to help out there, that would have been fun, for me. Yes, I spent some time in GS line, but did not mind at all because I met other passengers who I found interesting, too.. and got to hear some of the complaints which made me smile. 😁

Very kind and gentle and understanding and straight forward!

While my next sailing is 2021, maybe we can plan a sailing for 2022 as a 'private' CC sailing amoungst us all who would like to join in???

At any rate, thank you again, cheers, bon appetit and bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 1

On 12/22/2019 at 4:52 AM, zltm089 said:

Are the sunset verandas at the back of the ship?

We were recently in one on Deck 7.  Middle location and one of the  largest balconies. We had no problem receiving a sun  lounger.

They are very nice  staterooms,  extreme aft,  (if you can walk  back and foth to/ from the elev banks sev times a day...we had no issues but it is a walk!)

Stateroom is larger than the IV,,,the space where there would be an IV is inside and part of the room..makes a nice seating area!

Balcony is huge with a small overhang...can be quite sunny.  Great wake view and stars at night  and early am were amazing . I will try to post sime pics from my Sunset Veranda review...

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

bon voyage

Bo...

As always very well expressed,  We had an IV on our first EDGE cruise and managed quite nicely.. We used the IV area as a Florida room or mini wintergarden, and would def book this category again..we liked bed by balc but could do either!  

Not sure why there is so much EDGE bashing,,, We are happy we have many choices on X. My gripe is the tech side..,.poor website, and  too many changing offers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This  is an excellent well balanced review..

Agree about the buffet.  Other than the excellent  first day lunch  there ....it was seriously lacking for lunch and dinner.  It featured way too much spicy food there for our palate!

• Thanks 1