Group rate advantages...

Just got off a great cruise on the Liberty last month, November.  

A friend just called, wanted us join our business friends group who we've previously cruised with 5 times before.  Previously, our company paid for all balcony cabins.  But this is an extra trip that we'll be paying ourselves.

They've reserved 20 balcony cabins on deck 8 on the exact same Nov sailing in 2020.

I called RCCL group dept & was quoted a price $300 more than what we paid last month.  

So  what's your recommendation on whether to wait for better pricing, book with our private TA (same pricing), or go ahead & put down $500 deposit, reserve our cabin, & hope pricing may come down later?

We have another RCCL cruise in Jan, after which we'll be Diamond.   If we wait to book until after Jan, will it make any difference?

Any other advantages of booking through RCCL group dept vs booking on our own (as our TA usually has more avail discounts & OBC).  Any disadvantages to booking on our own (for different cabin types) , then link to group booking #, for same group dining time, etc?

Thanks,

17 minutes ago, NavyCruiser said:

Just got off a great cruise on the Liberty last month, November.  

A friend just called, wanted us join our business friends group who we've previously cruised with 5 times before.  Previously, our company paid for all balcony cabins.  But this is an extra trip that we'll be paying ourselves.

They've reserved 20 balcony cabins on deck 8 on the exact same Nov sailing in 2020.

I called RCCL group dept & was quoted a price $300 more than what we paid last month.  

So  what's your recommendation on whether to wait for better pricing, book with our private TA (same pricing), or go ahead & put down $500 deposit, reserve our cabin, & hope pricing may come down later?

We have another RCCL cruise in Jan, after which we'll be Diamond.   If we wait to book until after Jan, will it make any difference?

Any other advantages of booking through RCCL group dept vs booking on our own (as our TA usually has more avail discounts & OBC).  Any disadvantages to booking on our own (for different cabin types) , then link to group booking #, for same group dining time, etc?

Thanks,

Groups set up by individuals are different than groups set up by TA's.

I would check with your TA and see if they have group space.  If they do it will most likely be at a lower price, come with some OBC and have a refundable deposit.  I can't answer questions about the group that your friends company set up as they are different terms than TA group space.

Repricing to get your diamond discount usually triggers a repricing of your reservation unless you are before final payment and in a group with space still left in the group, again that is for TA groups...not sure how the private group would work.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

6 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Groups set up by individuals are different than groups set up by TA's.

I would check with your TA and see if they have group space.  If they do it will most likely be at a lower price, come with some OBC and have a refundable deposit.  I can't answer questions about the group that your friends company set up as they are different terms than TA group space.

Repricing to get your diamond discount usually triggers a repricing of your reservation unless you are before final payment and in a group with space still left in the group, again that is for TA groups...not sure how the private group would work.

Ken,

This is how we booked. If booked in a group from a TA are you stuck with that cabin or would you be able to upgrade to a higher priced cabin?

TIA

1 minute ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

Ken,

This is how we booked. If booked in a group from a TA are you stuck with that cabin or would you be able to upgrade to a higher priced cabin?

TIA

You can absolutely upgrade to any cabin and you will still keep the OBC from the group.

If your TA does not have group space in the cabin you want then you will be booking at prevailing rates either refundable or non refundable.

Royal allows very few categories to be held in group space.  1 or 2 inside categories , usually 1 oceanview, a Central park and Boardwalk balcony and two balcony categories and now they have also added 1 or 2 balconies.  No suites other than the very occasional JS on an Oasis class ship.

3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You can absolutely upgrade to any cabin and you will still keep the OBC from the group.

If your TA does not have group space in the cabin you want then you will be booking at prevailing rates either refundable or non refundable.

Royal allows very few categories to be held in group space.  1 or 2 inside categories , usually 1 oceanview, a Central park and Boardwalk balcony and two balcony categories and now they have also added 1 or 2 balconies.  No suites other than the very occasional JS on an Oasis class ship.

Ken,

Thanks for the timely reply. We are at the 55 day mark i believe so all inventory for group space has probably been turned in.

I realize I could have asked my TA but figured I would get a faster reply here, so I really appreciate you taking your time to reply.🙂

1 minute ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

Ken,

Thanks for the timely reply. We are at the 55 day mark i believe so all inventory for group space has probably been turned in.

I realize I could have asked my TA but figured I would get a faster reply here, so I really appreciate you taking your time to reply.🙂

You're welcome.

You are correct.  Group space is recalled from TA's at 120 days prior to sailing or even earlier depending on if the cruise line needs the space and if the TA has been selling it.  Occasionally Royal will still keep group space available for agents to sell after the 120 day mark if sales for that particular sailing are weak.

12 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

Ken,

My TA responds very quickly😉😁

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You're welcome.

You are correct.  Group space is recalled from TA's at 120 days prior to sailing or even earlier depending on if the cruise line needs the space and if the TA has been selling it.  Occasionally Royal will still keep group space available for agents to sell after the 120 day mark if sales for that particular sailing are weak.

Thanks for educating us on group rates. Appreciate it.

Can one use a Cruise Next open booking deposit made on board towards a group rate with a TA?

I have seen that most say no, but would take your word over others'.

2 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

Can one use a Cruise Next open booking deposit made on board towards a group rate with a TA?

Absolutely, I have done this many times and recommended d thsts my clients do a refundable next cruise on board. 

With group rates a full deposit is required so going for the reduced deposit does not matter. 

Just now, NavyCruiser said:

Seems like group rates aren't cheaper than booking on my own.  

Can I still book through my usual TA & link to RCCL group #?

Thanks,

Groups belong to travel agencies, so of RC has a group you want to be in, you must be booked with RC.

16 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

Seems like group rates aren't cheaper than booking on my own.  

Can I still book through my usual TA & link to RCCL group #?

Thanks,

I've had a TA have lower "corporate" group rates, and I've had lower "personal" group rates, and I've had RC's rates be lower -- just depends on what the rates were at the time the groups were created and what the rates are currently with RC.  

Or are you asking if you can book separately through different groups / TAs / direct with RC and still link the reservations for purposes of seating in the MDR, booking shows together, etc.?

23 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Absolutely, I have done this many times and recommended d thsts my clients do a refundable next cruise on board. 

With group rates a full deposit is required so going for the reduced deposit does not matter. 

Thank you.

Just booked our cruise for next Nov directly with RC group dept.

Deposit fully refundable until next Aug

RC will auto match & lower price if a better sale comes up

Just booked interior cabin.  Will rebook to balcony after our next cruise in Jan, when we move up to Diamond, since Diamond balcony discount is $225 vs Emerald discount of $125 today

3 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

Just booked our cruise for next Nov directly with RC group dept.

Deposit fully refundable until next Aug

RC will auto match & lower price if a better sale comes up

Just booked interior cabin.  Will rebook to balcony after our next cruise in Jan, when we move up to Diamond, since Diamond balcony discount is $225 vs Emerald discount of $125 today

That is nice.

Did you call a special number to get the groups department and ask if there were groups available for the sailing?
Also was the E or D discount combinable/eligible with group rate?

Edited by Arzeena

2 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

That is nice.

Did you call a special number to get the groups department and ask if there were groups available for the sailing?

You have to set up a group (minimum 8 cabins)  Royal does not put people into existing groups.  That’s where travel agents come in. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/10/2019 at 9:44 AM, Arzeena said:

I have done that several times.  I book on a cruise and don't have the booking transferred to any agency.  I do a cruise compete when I get home and transfer to an agency that has group space booked.  I get the OBC that was given for booking onboard, get the group rate and they usually give me my D+ discount along with whatever amenities the group gets.  

My $100 deposit is still non-refundable as that's what's given me the OBC from RC.  If I decide to book another cruise before I board again, I do the same as above, but the deposit is a refundable deposit.  

My last 2 cruises I have booked  have been $600 and $400 less than the going rate on the RC website. The one with $400 less includes gratuities, which amount to a couple of hundred as well as a free dinner in a specialty restaurant and the OBC the agency gives.

1 hour ago, Arzeena said:

That is nice.

Also was the E or D discount combinable/eligible with group rate?

if you book a balcony when they have a "sale" on that says $100 instant savings does RCI deduct that money from your balcony discount?

1 hour ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

if you book a balcony when they have a "sale" on that says $100 instant savings does RCI deduct that money from your balcony discount?

No, the balcony discount cannot be combined with a price that includes an "instant discount".