items no longer given/offered

Knickearth

Little galleys, likely multiple ones, on each deck that were used to provide room service at breakfast. And I believe your steward took care of this, not the dining staff. I did see one on Pacific Princess but it wasn’t being used as a galley but for storage.

Gifts for returning passengers: that’s how I have 2 pairs of champagne glasses with the Princess logo.

Nice trivia prizes: umbrellas; unique ceramic mugs that weren’t the ones sold in the shop; leather coasters or luggage tags; luggage straps; note pad & multiple pencils in unique packaging (you got both). Those are the ones I can remember.

Getting to hold the champagne bottle all by yourself and pour the entire bottle onto the tower! And it was French too!!

The honor system in place to determine the most days sailing with Princess. I remember a large gathering and the host asking for hands of “who has sailed X days” then he kept increasing the number until only 1 hand remaining.

On 12/11/2019 at 1:07 PM, Colo Cruiser said:

Why another cutback thread?  🙁

Why not post some of the great things about Princess for a change?    🤔

Just watch any news channel and the answer is obvious--Good news does  not get any attention 🙂

• Like 3

8 hours ago, tip said:

The New York Times Fax at Sea.     Those of us who like to read really miss it.

😂

I remember those...really enjoyed seeking them out in the morning. What was also fun was reading the versions for audiences in other countries for a different perspective. Thanks for bringing back those memories!!

For the sugar folks: In the Piazza on our last cruise the sugar dispensers on the tables (for coffee and tea from IC) are a small kind of bulbous glass container with a spout that looks kind of like a liquor topper spout. They actually dispense a measured amount with each tip of the container. They were picked up in the late afternoon/early evening. I thought they were kind of nice.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

It's the 21st Century all of those have been replace with Instagram, Facebook, text messaging and email which is not even a first choice to communicate any more.

Which brings me a positive change for Colo Cruiser.  Improved wifi service!

Is there a pen in the stateroom?

1 hour ago, SargassoPirate said:

The cutbacks will continue until cabins go unsold.  

Fortunately, there are many cruise lines and many ships to choose from.  Most of them even include chairs/sofas in standard balcony cabins.

And the items that one person finds value in, another may not.

Example: I don't care a chair in my room (takes up space/gets in way).  I can manage with or without.  Some folks cannot.

I travel a lot, and every hotel chain (or local) does what they deem best based off the ROI.  I would consider cruises no different.

• Like 3

On 12/11/2019 at 12:59 PM, cruzsnooze said:

Bar soaps

Canvas tote bags in suites

Personalized stationary in suites

coffee cards with all 15 coffees you paid for good until you used all 

postcards of the ship

I was in a full suite on the Regal last month...got bar soap and ship postcard, but the cheap paper tote bag had replaced the canvas one. There was stationary but not personalized. 

Was on Island Princess over Thanksgiving - full suite had bar soaps, bottles of shampoo, conditioner, lotion.  Stationary (not personalized), we had escargot on the menu, straws in our drinks (paper), canvas tote bags and slippers in our room.

We attended the 'chat with officers' and they are moving to bulk items to reduce waste and said alternative sweeteners are next. I think the bulbous brown and white sugar dispensers are effective and sanitary - you're not sticking anything like a spoon into a bowl - it's just a pour dispenser. 

That said - did notice many other changes that indicate cuts such as no more passing cookies & hot cocoa at MUTS, the ice cream is only 2 flavors and only sprinkles for a topping, etc. 

Oh - and we also got chocolate covered strawberries on formal nights.

Overall we still heart Princess, though. And it's remains a good deal for us. 

Edited by Missysole
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ref Escargot in Dining Room.  On our 29 cruise on the Emerald, 4 Nov to 3 Dec, it was offered once on the 2nd leg, Fla to LA, and it was poorly prepared.  The little cup was half full of a mystery liquid and the top had no taste.

Another noted item.  It took 3 days for the Mini Bar to appear in our room, even after 3 phone calls to room service. Then instead of a mixture of little bottles, it was all Dry Gin.  Took another two days to get that exchanged and I had to call the Passenger Service desk to get the exchange. 

Generally speaking, because food is subjective, we found most of the meals in the MDR to be lacking in taste and often the main portion of the dishes was tough.  I suspected that the meals were precooked and then heated when ordered which was drying them out. 

We discussed this one night with the Head Waiter. 

The offerings at the pastry counter, International Cafe, was really cut back from what we have found on previous cruises. 

And, yes, we did miss the barrel chair that was removed from our cabin.

Princess Bean Counters, take pride in your work. 

On the plus side, the staff all over the ship was outstanding. 

Bob

@4x4bob

On the plus side, the staff all over the ship was outstanding. 

I would fully concur with that sentiment they were.   If you had been on in the earlier cruises in the Med when there was the Code Red situation you would have been even more impressed by each and every one of the staff who faced the public.

8 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

The cutbacks will continue until cabins go unsold.  

Based on the love blind apologists here, cabins will never go unsold.

I'm actually surprised that some of them haven't jumped in to tell us not

to live in the past when things were better.  (Which I have read here)

I miss the plain soda package to $4.95.

The forced up sell to the soda'n'more to someone who doesn't want the 'n'more prevents me from purchasing.

Which, at the moment, is one of the things that keeps me on land.

6 hours ago, Missysole said:

Was on Island Princess over Thanksgiving - full suite had bar soaps, bottles of shampoo, conditioner, lotion.  Stationary (not personalized), we had escargot on the menu, straws in our drinks (paper), canvas tote bags and slippers in our room.

We attended the 'chat with officers' and they are moving to bulk items to reduce waste and said alternative sweeteners are next. I think the bulbous brown and white sugar dispensers are effective and sanitary - you're not sticking anything like a spoon into a bowl - it's just a pour dispenser. 

That said - did notice many other changes that indicate cuts such as no more passing cookies & hot cocoa at MUTS, the ice cream is only 2 flavors and only sprinkles for a topping, etc. 

Oh - and we also got chocolate covered strawberries on formal nights.

Overall we still heart Princess, though. And it's remains a good deal for us. 

It'll be interesting to see how they accomplish that one. 3 or 4 shakers at each table? Maybe one wall mounted one for the whole restaurant? 😅

I think the sugar dispensers they're no using are worse for spreading germs since many hands touch them each day & they're probably never cleaned, only refilled.

• Like 1