Adventure of the Seas 1854 - The View From the Top 🚢

John&LaLa

48 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Rocket launched nice, but second burn failed and she can't get to ISS. Oops. Hopefully they can land it Sunday in New Mexico

Boeing is not doing too good.  Nice view of it  from up here in the semi dark

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Judyrem said:

What is awful about the internet?  I am wondering if I should cancel it for my Feb trip?  I like to stream Netflix at night, would I be able to do that?

3 hours ago, Judyrem said:

Did you have to pay for it even though it did not work properly?

53 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I believe if you complain soon enough after you buy the package, they will refund the cost to your onboard account.

47 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

@FionaMG can explain it

On my cruise there was a confirmed malfunction with one of the servers out of action. Combine that with a fully-booked ship (3900 passengers, including lots of families with teens) and you could barely even check your e-mail.

I realised very quickly from past experience that its performance was much worse than it should have been, so I went to the Voom desk the day after boarding, where the man confirmed the problem. On that occasion, people were being given the option of cancelling their package and getting a full refund or hanging on and getting a pro-rata refund if and when they actually fixed it.

Onboard sales were suspended until they could fix the problem. Once they did, they were offering deeply-discounted prices for the last two days of the cruise, presumably in the hope of recouping some of the lost revenue.

I think the most important thing is the speed with which you complain. I am inclined to think Bob is correct in thinking that a speedy complaint will probably get you a refund but I can't confirm that is definitely the case if there is no acknowledged malfunction.

I received a refund to the value of 40% of the package cost, which I didn't quibble about but I did feel it should have been more because the issue was not fixed until day 6 of an 8-night cruise. After they fixed it there was a noticeable improvement and it was still slow but workable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Rocket launched nice, but second burn failed and she can't get to ISS. Oops. Hopefully they can land it Sunday in New Mexico

FB_IMG_1576851012958.jpg

My NASA engineer brother in law used to say “That’s what you get when you go with the lowest bidder”,

I hope that  now space exploration is privatized, they go with the highest quality bidder. 

Edited by jagsfan
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Above us is a vast unused sun deck.

20191202_122555.thumb.jpg.1112a3eb84987a11479129542ee3a271.jpg

Yes, this one:

20191124_163143.thumb.jpg.f55026b444e4bb717043f72d355ff476.jpg

It wraps all the way round the front of the ship. I am amazed that Royal have not found some way of making revenue from this space! We had an amazing view of our arrival into SJ from up here.

20191126_170353.thumb.jpg.b09efd1d9e1e64e7a0539dcda85e25f2.jpg

10 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

20191124_163143.thumb.jpg.f55026b444e4bb717043f72d355ff476.jpg

It wraps all the way round the front of the ship. I am amazed that Royal have not found some way of making revenue from this space! 

Freedom is that way as well. Maybe they can come up with something for her AMP.

Other ships put the mini golf up there

I did a poll years ago asking for suggestions on Freedom.

Once again, it's to old for me to find it.

Maybe one of the Hosts can find it😉

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

Great photos, thanks for the review.  Fantastic cabin too!  We were on the Adventure out of Bayonne in June for a NE and Caribbean cruise and we really loved the ship.  As far as the internet goes, it was HORRIBLE.  I couldn't open any websites and basically all I could do was email.  I never asked why it was so bad because I'm sure I would've been fed a bunch of excuses.  

The DL is beautiful and the CL is also a great size.  The CL had a bar setup and the drinks were served that way.  Wish this ship would come to PC. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, torpeedo said:

Great photos, thanks for the review.  Fantastic cabin too!  We were on the Adventure out of Bayonne in June for a NE and Caribbean cruise and we really loved the ship.  As far as the internet goes, it was HORRIBLE.  I couldn't open any websites and basically all I could do was email.  I never asked why it was so bad because I'm sure I would've been fed a bunch of excuses.  

The DL is beautiful and the CL is also a great size.  The CL had a bar setup and the drinks were served that way.  Wish this ship would come to PC. 

You don't like Mariner? 

I still haven't been on since the Odyssey, but it has a lot of improvements as far as I can tell.

28 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Freedom is that way as well. Maybe they can come up with something for her AMP.

Other ships put the mini golf up there

I did a poll years ago asking for suggestions on Freedom.

Once again, it's to old for me to find it.

Maybe one of the Hosts can find it😉

Here is a suggestion.... leave it alone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

You don't like Mariner? 

I still haven't been on since the Odyssey, but it has a lot of improvements as far as I can tell.

I don't!  Lots of reasons mostly due to the 3/4 night thing!  I feel like the Mariner has been turned into just a taxi to the beach.  Not much attention to detail.  We were on 3 cruises in a row and never once was the balcony glass cleaned..ever.  I thought the Adventure did a great job in all respects..  

13 minutes ago, torpeedo said:

I don't!  Lots of reasons mostly due to the 3/4 night thing!  I feel like the Mariner has been turned into just a taxi to the beach.  Not much attention to detail.  We were on 3 cruises in a row and never once was the balcony glass cleaned..ever.  I thought the Adventure did a great job in all respects..  

Problem solved then, Adventure doesn't have balcony glass.

It does have these dark little caves🤣

20191207_083601.thumb.jpg.e3bb38a5106c00008fa522ae606a87bc.jpg

Honestly, that's my biggest peeve of this generation of Voyager.😉

20191211_113624.thumb.jpg.ea0a0ca83795b4eb4b893b622bc0880b.jpg

Sorry Doc

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, torpeedo said:

I think that's one of the reasons I like it.  It's very private and quiet on the balconies and reminds me of the Explorer which is also a great ship and one of the first Royal ships we sailed..:classic_biggrin:

I've only sailed Mariner (old) and Adventure. Laura has done Navigator.  I'd like to sail her one day. 

So I'm guessing you want Adventure in PC for the 7 day or longer runs. Maybe the route Explorer did a few years ago.

9/5 might work for Terminal 1. They could do Saturday and Tuesday departures. That would push Anthem and the Baltimore ship over to the north side for their port visits though.

7 minutes ago, torpeedo said:

I think that's one of the reasons I like it.  It's very private and quiet on the balconies and reminds me of the Explorer which is also a great ship and one of the first Royal ships we sailed..:classic_biggrin:

Explorer was my first RCI cruise too. We just had to try one of those huge Voyager class ships. The biggest that there was with all sorts of new venues for a cruise ship. We were hooked on RCI from then.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

So I'm guessing you want Adventure in PC for the 7 day or longer runs. Maybe the route Explorer did a few years ago.

9/5 might work for Terminal 1. They could do Saturday and Tuesday departures. That would push Anthem and the Baltimore ship over to the north side for their port visits though.

Wouldn't that be wonderful!!  10-12 night runs would be great from PC.  I think many are sick of the same east west itineraries coming out of PC.  I know if you go another 300 miles you have more opportunities in Ft or Miami but too much driving for us and I'm a no fly person.

7 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Explorer was my first RCI cruise too. We just had to try one of those huge Voyager class ships. The biggest that there was with all sorts of new venues for a cruise ship. We were hooked on RCI from then.

Mariner out of PC for us. Laura did a B3B, and we never looked back

5 minutes ago, torpeedo said:

Wouldn't that be wonderful!!  10-12 night runs would be great from PC.  I think many are sick of the same east west itineraries coming out of PC.  I know if you go another 300 miles you have more opportunities in Ft or Miami but too much driving for us and I'm a no fly person.

10/11 would be Saturday and Wednesday. that would work

We rarely drove to Ft Lauderdale when we lived in Atlanta

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I've only sailed Mariner (old) and Adventure. Laura has done Navigator.  I'd like to sail her one day. 

We are just off the Mariner last weekend.  LOVE IT!!!   We also on board last month.  Even Dan likes it.  As I have written before Dan is not a fan of the Oasis class.  We are in the minority- we like the 3/4 day trips.  That's enough eating and drinking for me😇

Edited by molly361
  • Like 1

Let's step inside the VP

I'll try and limit myself to 4-5 pics at a time

The View.

Don't pay attention to that smudge in the middle pane, I'll explain later

Oh, and apparently we had 8 ships in town, plus a ferry that I don't recall seeing

Read somewhere that they had 55,000+ passengers that day

20191201_130903.thumb.jpg.4d03036ff5721d809cd541f097ec3b3f.jpg

Where the magic happens 🤩

I wish....

20191201_130441.thumb.jpg.c9879479f5068b33f1d74b0710283f54.jpg

Table and chair, but obviously there is room to redecorate

20191201_130453.thumb.jpg.84251692fb3786e216f43312aa61f143.jpg

Look at that, a night stand with a drawer

20191201_130842.thumb.jpg.0c9c0efc8cfbc47157d1a4158cbaad32.jpg

View towards the entry

2018705473_20191201_131031crop.thumb.jpg.ff8c94861f43b403b90eb5ea6f2b3f7a.jpg

Edited by John&LaLa

Storage Galore

Bedroom closet

20191201_130838.thumb.jpg.2f9924d0768157f95e68da9da1d3bc2c.jpg

With Doors Wide Open

20191201_131416.thumb.jpg.50207caf23cb46c4d4e7c18da4aefa61.jpg

Desk/Vanity before we put everything away

Coffee and kettle go in the closet 

20191201_130708.thumb.jpg.e4300365892279043ca48a9d856f02dd.jpg

My closet🤣

This is where the coffee stuff goes as well

20191201_131107.thumb.jpg.a9f348edfe9fd7e097aed267253ff8d0.jpg

Shelving at Desk. 

Decent sized safe

20191201_131156.thumb.jpg.f6e90c7ae958a126f1d13e898fa64817.jpg

Edited by John&LaLa

9 hours ago, molly361 said:

And to add when the pricing first came out and they were called suites you could book them as refundable.  Don't know if that is still the case

When I booked 1854 on Liberty last month, refundable deposit was still available. I thought it used to be treated the same as a JS with no other suite benefits. I found it odd that a full suite could be booked refundable and sent a query to Nadja the SL concierge and she assured me that the panoramic suite has full suite benefits. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

When I booked 1854 on Liberty last month, refundable deposit was still available. I thought it used to be treated the same as a JS with no other suite benefits. I found it odd that a full suite could be booked refundable and sent a query to Nadja the SL concierge and she assured me that the panoramic suite has full suite benefits. 

Did you get a balcony discount?

Thank you so much for sharing!  Enjoying all the photos.

Just realized we'll be in this cabin in a few months.

Without Coastal Kitchen, what were some of your suite perks?

Suite perks for breakfast, lunch, and dinner?

Did you order room service for dinner?...did it arrive hot?

Are there any other suite perks on the Adventure that we can easily overlook?...please share.

Thanks again!