Time in Barcelona after cruise?

We are looking at a cruise that ends at Barcelona.  We are focusing on Greece and Italy, but this itinerary ends there in Spain.   The cruise line and ship would be the reason we would choose this over a similar Rome - Rome itinerary.

I am wondering if we should transfer from the Cruise Terminal to the airport.  Since Barcelona had not been a priority.  Or, is there a way to do a quick tour on the way to the airport, just to whiz by the highlights and get a feel for Barcelona.  Or, even though we will probably be tired and overwhelmed at that point.  And, are not young and adventurous, would you recommend that we stay overnight.  And, if so, what would be the main things that a tourist like us would not want to miss?

Thanks!

I would suggest that you spend at least one night in Barcelona at the end of your cruise.  Two if you can figure it out.  When you get off the ship, I would take a taxi to your chosen hotel and leave your luggage with them.  It will probably be too early to check into a room, but they will hold your luggage while you see some sights.  At a minimum, you really need to go see the Sagrada Familia Basilica.  It is the Crown Jewel of Barcelona sights.

https://sagradafamilia.org/en/

For easy sight seeing, you might considering doing one of the HopOn-HopOff bus routes to see the highlights of the city and stopping to get off as desired.  Sagrada Familia will be one of the stops.

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

just to whiz by the highlights

If that is the way you feel, then you would be better off just going straight to the airport.

You just don't 'whiz by' Sagrada Familia or Parc Guell or Casa Mila.

Stay at least one night and take a tour of a fascinating city with a lot of history.

We were in Barcelona this summer at the end of a land tour.  It was, for me, an unexpected gem.  It's a beautiful city, very easy to navigate, with friendly locals and great food.  Definitely try to spend a few days there.  The subway and bus system is very easy to use.  I'd take a taxi to your hotel, but pick one near a metro station and once you are luggage free, can move about the city easily.  Avoid Las Ramblas.  It's the worst part of the tourist area (crowds, trinkets, etc.)  Sagrada Familia is beautiful, but also crowded.  We went to the Hospital de Sant Pau, a UNESCO site just a couple blocks away.  Significantly less crowded, and beautiful on its own.  If you are at all confident in your ability to navigate a bicycle, consider a bike tour.  Barcelona is mostly flat, with wide pedestrian/bike only promenades.  My doubting husband proclaimed afterwards that was the best thing we could have done.  If you are not confident of your fitness level, many companies have electric bikes.  We used Steel Donkey tours.  Take a tapas tour and see the local food culture.  Have dinner at sunset at one of the beach front restaurants.  We went to Gallito, at the far end of the beach.  It was wonderful.

There's an app called Moovit that will tell you how to use public transportation in pretty much every city I've ever been to.

• Like 3

On 12/23/2019 at 4:09 PM, ollienbertsmum said:

Please don’t miss the opportunity to stay a couple of nights in Barcelona.  It is such an amazing city.

Our thoughts as well. The Gaudi sights are amazing and the city is beautiful. We like the Jazz hotel - perfect location for sightseeing.

• Like 1

We have now been to Barcelona three times, either pre or post cruise.  We have not even come close to running out of new things to see.  As Sagrada Familia is under construction it is one place we continually go back to.  If you only saw one sight, it would be on the top of my list.  After that there is Parc Guell, Gaudi houses, Gothic Quarter, Magic Fountain.

• Like 2

We have been to both Barcelona and Rome several times.  We left a ship in Barcelona this fall and stayed for the third time at the same hotel!  It might surprise our OP to find that I much prefer Barcelona over Rome.  While we have some favorite Barcelona attractions we continually find other new ones to explore.  We could easily spend ten days or more in Barcelona.  It is truly a destination city.  And we have barely touched the interesting day trips out of the city.

• Thanks 1

Barcelona is certainly worthy of a multi-night stay.  Not only do you have all the sites (and musuems) in the city, but there are numerous day-trip possibilities.   You can get lots of differing opinions where to stay in Barcelona but our own favorite is the Hotel Colon which is an older hotel with a terrific location right in the popular Gothic Quarter (a few blocks from the Ramblas).

Hank

I would consider spending two nights in Barcelona. The first day see the sights around the city, on the second day take a tour to visit either Montserrat or a drive out of the city to Tossa de Mar and Pals ( These are 2 medieval towns) I loved. We spent 5 days in Barcelona after our TA and loved everything.  Check with the cruise line and see if they offer an excursion to see the main sites of the city along with your luggage and then drop you off at a central location. That would give you some insight to the city

before you set out to see the city after checking in at the hotel. Placa de Catalunya was our drop off location, very near the apartment we rented. 

• 2 months later...
We have been to both Barcelona and Rome several times.  We left a ship in Barcelona this fall and stayed for the third time at the same hotel!  It might surprise our OP to find that I much prefer Barcelona over Rome.  While we have some favorite Barcelona attractions we continually find other new ones to explore.  We could easily spend ten days or more in Barcelona.  It is truly a destination city.  And we have barely touched the interesting day trips out of the city.

What is the name of the hotel you stay at?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

4 hours ago, PapaGoose said:

What is the name of the hotel you stay at?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The name is the Hotel Barcelona Universal.  Great location, but not in the touristy Las Ramblas area (but close enough you can walk to Las Ramblas).  Multi-lingual staff.  Entrance to the Barcelona subway right out the hotel main entrance.  We have always booked a rate which included their buffet (hot and cold items) breakfast.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2020 at 8:45 PM, Northern Aurora said:

The name is the Hotel Barcelona Universal.  Great location, but not in the touristy Las Ramblas area (but close enough you can walk to Las Ramblas).  Multi-lingual staff.  Entrance to the Barcelona subway right out the hotel main entrance.  We have always booked a rate which included their buffet (hot and cold items) breakfast.

Great hotel , also great city, loved location, roof top pool and bar , breakfast buffet also had sparkling wine. There are two really nice suites on floor 9 right below pool, also great view from roof.

52 minutes ago, George C said:

Great hotel , also great city, loved location, roof top pool and bar , breakfast buffet also had sparkling wine. There are two really nice suites on floor 9 right below pool, also great view from roof.

Of the three times we have stayed at the Hotel Barcelona Universal twice we were in the large terrace rooms (these rooms have their own private terraces) mentioned by George C.  While the two we stayed in were very differently configured, both were very large.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

When it comes to dealing with allergies, probably better to ask the hotel directly.  

Barcelona is a big, although beautiful and walkable city.  It also has a great public transport system, but regardless I have stayed in numerous times pre cruise, I always checked out what attraction I have planned and then decide where to stay.  If you plan to visit Camp Nou or Sagrada Familia and don’t want to walk then you have to choose a different hotel to if you want to go to Las Ramblas, the Gothic area or Barceloneta.  

I think that I have stayed in 7 hotels in Barcelona from 2 to 4 star rating.  Only one of them comes into “oh do you remember that awful hotel” rating and that was because it was in the days that I did not know about Trip Advisor and Cruise Critic.  The TA selected the hotel and thankfully we only had to spend one sleepless night.   My choices of hotel have all been great.  

When will I get back to Barcelona???