What to Do on Transatlantic

DwayneG

@FLAHAM

My transatlantic on the Getaway in April/May will have eight intermediate port stops between New York and Rome.  Hard to imagine a more port-intensive itinerary. 

But how many sea days before you get the first port?   It is those 5 days that people find "boring"!!!   

Your cruise like most 15+ TAs is really two cruises.  A stretch of sea at the beginning or end and port intensive at the other.

I love how they've changed the TAs up with so many more ports.  The 1st TA I did was in 2015 on the Star, we had 2 stops, 1 in Ponta Delgada and the next in Miami which we missed due to engine problems.  (I've always wondered if Star's issues were in part caused by the very bad TS Joaquin we had to go through/around, but who knows)

My next 1 is Getaway BCN to NYC with 6 port of call and 7 sea days, really is best of both worlds IMO. Next is on Jade April 2021 leaving NYC and has 6 Ports of call (overnight in Iceland) and 6 sea days. 

I'm loving it. 

1 hour ago, All-ready2cruise said:

I love how they've changed the TAs up with so many more ports.  The 1st TA I did was in 2015 on the Star, we had 2 stops, 1 in Ponta Delgada and the next in Miami which we missed due to engine problems.  (I've always wondered if Star's issues were in part caused by the very bad TS Joaquin we had to go through/around, but who knows)

My next 1 is Getaway BCN to NYC with 6 port of call and 7 sea days, really is best of both worlds IMO. Next is on Jade April 2021 leaving NYC and has 6 Ports of call (overnight in Iceland) and 6 sea days. 

I'm loving it. 

So many more ports, ours was Dover-Lisbon-Ponta Delagda-Miami.  We skipped the Azores so only made 1/2 of all our ports.  LOL

• Like 1

Discount for laundry is a great help on transatlantic after a land trip in Europe or Europe cruise. We’re looking forward to doing it again 2020 fall. Having Halloween on the ta is fantastic. Many different theme parties and Zumba and other dancing opportunities. Activities staff is the key to a great ta Cruise 

On 12/23/2019 at 10:08 PM, All-ready2cruise said:

I've done TAs each way and do appreciate a W>E transition, it's definitely easier than doing an E>W only losing 1 hour a night instead of losing 5>6 hours while flying. TAs are my favourite cruises and just booked another.  So, I have a TA from Barcelona to NY in Dec 2020 and a NY to Amsterdam in Apr 2021. 

Im curious to hear more about the benefits of each direction. Thanks

9 hours ago, FLAHAM said:

My transatlantic on the Getaway in April/May will have eight intermediate port stops between New York and Rome.  Hard to imagine a more port-intensive itinerary. 

We’re on that cruise too! Get to pay for it tomorrow 🤑 Merry Christmas to me!

1 hour ago, blueslily said:

Im curious to hear more about the benefits of each direction. Thanks

Getting to Europe without jet lag is a major plus.  I find the older I get the longer it takes me to get over the time difference, so arriving in more fit form makes it so much easier to hit the ground running.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, casofilia said:

@blueslily

Im curious to hear more about the benefits of each direction.AI

The one major difference is sleep!!!!   For about 5 days of the cruise and during the time at sea; USA to Europe 25 hour days;  Europe to USA 23 hour days

So, does that also mean that its better to do a spring TA (April/May) versus a fall one in Oct/Nov? 

We have done both and prefer going from Europe TA back to USA. After a week or so of intensive touring, the 8 days of sea are so relaxing. We've also done a Transpacific with sea days at the end of the cruise. Another advantage is that we get back to the States with no jet lag.

On 12/23/2019 at 3:36 PM, DwayneG said:

Never been on a TA, but looking at the Epic November 2020 Barcelona to Puerto Rico.  We've been on Epic before and don't have any issues with the ship...layout is okay, and bathrooms don't bother us.  But we're wondering what activities NCL provides during all those sea days.  Do they run out of shows?  Do they have daytime activities?

There are a variety of activities including cooking classes, crafts, fitness, swimming, etc. There are shows in the evening. We enjoy reading so we do a lot of that - you can also enjoy movies if that is your wish. 

Edited by dogs4fun

16 hours ago, blueslily said:

So, does that also mean that its better to do a spring TA (April/May) versus a fall one in Oct/Nov? 

We prefer East to West...

Europe to USA - gaining many hours on the way to the US...

Caveat - if you are starting your vacation by flying to Europe from the US - you will lose the hours in the first place...

I believe, generally speaking, the Europe to US cruises are in the Fall