10:00am JetBlue return flight out of FLL ?

VentureMan_2000

6 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

Looking at an April Carnival cruise out of Fort Lauderdale.  Would a 10:00am JetBlue return flight out of FLL be do-able ?  

Is that enough time to clear customs, get to the airport and through security ?

Maybe,  maybe not

If you're one of the first off of the ship and there aren't any delays...sure. No way I'm booking anything like that though. I just don't like to be rushed like that.

When I was on Magic last month they called the first people at 7:15. We had a lot of delays. They called all tags at 10:45. I could've went down with my tag at 9:30 but since I had a late flight I waited until 11am to get off the ship. It took me an hour to get from Lido deck through customs. 20 minutes for an Uber to get to me. 15 minutes to get to the airport. 30 minutes to get checked in and through security...

If that timeline stayed true and I tried to get off at 7:15 that would put me through airport security at 9:15.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

That's helpful...  

Looking for input from someone who had a FLL flight this early, and their experience making their flight after disembarking.

That's the point.  What anyone's experience was last week, today or three months from now, doesn't mean you will be fine.  I always fly in and out of FLL and the experience varies wildly from walking up to the luggage drop off counter to being prevented from even entering the line until you were within 2 hours of flight time.    Ships have returned on time and have been late.  Customs have been speedy and I have hit full crew immigration inspections.   I have been caught in huge traffic jam inside the airport to whipping right up to the curb. 

Your travel insurance will not cover any flight issues if you book before the recommended flight time 

Edited by Elaine5715
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

Looking at an April Carnival cruise out of Fort Lauderdale.  Would a 10:00am JetBlue return flight out of FLL be do-able ?  

Is that enough time to clear customs, get to the airport and through security ?

Ask me after March 12.  I have a 10:15 flight.  Its on a Thursday though, which might help with crowds at airport, etc.  

I can tell you when booking my cruise, the PVP gave me this exact flight.  I booked it on my own, but, apparently he thought it was doable.  WE do plan on doing self debark and might just bring carryons so we don't have to check our luggage.  

3 hours ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

That's helpful...  

Looking for input from someone who had a FLL flight this early, and their experience making their flight after disembarking.

But people that are used to cruising and know the delays that can happen, are responding that the time you chose is very risky. Are you ok with it if you miss your flight, because that’s a real possibility. I’ve flown home out of FLL numerous times. On two occasions, the line to check in wound all the way out the door, and down the sidewalk. So even if you do get off the ship early and to airport in time, this scenario is a possibility. Don’t disregard people trying to advise you. Most people would not choose that early of a flight post cruise, because anything can happen.

2 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

That's the point.  What anyone's experience was last week, today or three months from now, doesn't mean you will be fine.  I always fly in and out of FLL and the experience varies wildly from walking up to the luggage drop off counter to being prevented from even entering the line until you were within 2 hours of flight time.    Ships have returned on time and have been late.  Customs have been speedy and I have hit full crew immigration inspections.   I have been caught in huge traffic jam inside the airport to whipping right up to the curb. 

Your travel insurance will not cover any flight issues if you book before the recommended flight time 

Very well said.

Everytime this comes up on this site, the passenger seems to make it no problem.  If you self assist and hop in line early, you should easily make the flight providing the ship is on time (almost always is).

Up to you how much anxiety you get.  If I had to make an educated guess on odds of making the flight, based on my experience and the constant posts about it here, I'd put it over 95%+ chance you can make the flight if you do self assist.  I definitely would not call the flight time "very risky" as others suggested.

Edited by BNBR

If you book this flight and don't have any type of priority, be sure to go to guest services before the end of your cruise and get information on where and when to meet for early flights.  Also, it's helpful if you have carry on only and pre check.  I would definitely not use Carnival's shuttle.  A taxi or Uber will be quick.

I would definitely never book a return flight that early.

Of course the rest of my usual group are clueless and always book flights way too early to be safe, and despite my protestations, they have not missed one yet. Still, I have a healthy respect for the ability of airlines or TSA to screw things up, so I always add extra time, and have been thankful for the buffer on several occasions.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

That's helpful...  

It was actually a good reply, the timing is tight.  We have been at our gate at 8:30, but there are other factors to consider.  Which type of debarkation you take, how you transfer to the airport, etc. 

14 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Maybe,  maybe not

I think this is the most accurate answer. 

There are times when I’ve made it early enough to standby on an 8:45am flight, and there have been times when I’m sweating bullets thinking that I won’t make an 11:30am flight.

Personally, I wouldn’t book a 10:00am flight. Book a later flight, and if you get to the airport early enough, and there are seats open, then standby on the earlier one like we did. Check your airline’s standby policy. It varies from one to another. 

I understand folks booking early flights, price and getting home quicker. 10 a.m.  to risky. It can be done however to many things can go wrong that you have no control over. Ship delays, weather, time of year (spring break,Easter)I cruised out of Miami once there was a ton of cruise ships in port. There was a line to get into the terminal at the airport. Book a later flight. 

9 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

It was actually a good reply, the timing is tight.  We have been at our gate at 8:30, but there are other factors to consider.  Which type of debarkation you take, how you transfer to the airport, etc. 

A few weeks ago I did self disembark for a 11:12  Jet Blue flight. We were not able to disembark until 8:30 because they could not get the gangway set up.  The gangeways are set up by an outside company and apparently all the ships that day were impacted because it was a very windy day. There was a passenger right in front of me who had booked a 9:30 flight.  I have wondered if he was able to check his bags, get thru security and board his flight. I got in a Lyft at 8:48 and arrived at the airport at 9:03. Booking a 10:00 would probably work if all goes perfectly but I would not do it because of the stress. And it would be on my mind the whole cruise. 

Edited by Charles4515

20 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

A few weeks ago I did self disembark for a 11:12  Jet Blue flight. We were not able to disembark until 8:30 because they could not get the gangway set up.  The gangeways are set up by an outside company and apparently all the ships that day were impacted because it was a very windy day. There was a passenger right in front of me who had booked a 9:30 flight.  I have wondered if he was able to check his bags, get thru security and board his flight. I got in a Lyft at 8:48 and arrived at the airport at 9:03. Booking a 10:00 would probably work if all goes perfectly but I would not do it because of the stress. And it would be on my mind the whole cruise. 

Agree, stuff does happen.  Thanks for adding your experience.   

I've never personally met anyone or heard of anyone who missed a flight and was never, ever able to get back home.  I guess it could happen.  There was that Tom Hanks movie....

Yes, things can happen.  If everything goes normal, as it normally does go quite nornally normal.... Then making this flight is easy.

If a delay happens, you could miss a 1pm flight.... Your ship could lose propulsion on the return and you could miss a next day flight....

I'd bank on things going normal and making the flight.  If something comes up and the flight is missed.  You do what I have done when missed a flight, pulled up my big boy pants, walked up to the counter.... And.... They put me on another flight home.  Anticlimactic I know...

10 hours ago, idraconis said:

I understand folks booking early flights, price and getting home quicker. 10 a.m.  to risky. It can be done however to many things can go wrong that you have no control over. Ship delays, weather, time of year (spring break,Easter)I cruised out of Miami once there was a ton of cruise ships in port. There was a line to get into the terminal at the airport. Book a later flight. 

Airfare out of cruise ports go up considerable after 12 noon so that is one reason