Anyone Currently on Jewel?

Just a heads up for anyone onboard contemplating the RCI airport transfer.

The cost is $18.95 USD per person - that is AED 69 PP

The cost of a taxi from the port to the airport is between 60-80 AED dependent on traffic.

There were four in our party so I decided that the equivalent of AED 276 for the coach transfer was a little over priced. 😠

The taxi cost for four was AED 78

• Thanks 1

And just to add to the above post - we paid 65 AED from the airport to the port on embarkation day. When we disembarked the taxi driver asked us if we wanted meter or flat rate, we asked the flat rate and he said 90 AED so we opted for meter. He pointed to the meter and said 'look there's 25 on there already' but we said fine. Again it cost us 65 AED so don't get fooled by thinking a flat rate will be cheaper.

On 1/23/2020 at 8:27 AM, little britain said:

Currently on Jewel on the amended itinerary which cancelled Bahrain and we now have overnights in Doha and Abu Dhabi.

No Russians on board but the seen to have left a legacy of a vodka menu which I have never seen before. Not to be outdone there is now also a new Gin Bar for the Brits! 
A very large group of Chinese on board and also it is the first ship where I have seen a halal section in the WJ.

Jewel also has the separate curry menu at dinner.

33 pinnacles and 356 D and D+. The whole of Vortex is opened for drinks.

Doha was fantastic: well worth seeing. Spotless.  A ride in the brand new metro was so cheap! 
Royal are very silly imho to be pulling out of this vibrant buzzing affluent region- the construction in Doha preparing for the football in 2022 and the infrastructure they are building  - shame to not be where the action is! Downside is the construction is 24/7 so there was a pile driver pounding all night! Long line at GR this morning from those who had no sleep!

Would be interested on any information for the new gin bar (flavoured gins?).

Many thanks in advance

Jazz

On 1/24/2020 at 4:27 PM, UK Cruiser2 said:

So you can use your seapass card for the HOHO bus ? I would have thought you would have to buy a ticket.

Another heads up if you are considering the HOHO bus for Dubai and Abu Dhabi ...

The one day Big Bus HOHO onboard price is $76.99 USD pp for each city.  Cruise planner price was £57.76 GBP pp

Twin city ticket is $132.99 USD pp

If you buy Big Bus in advance via Expedia you can get the one day tickets for £43 pp

Big Bus reps were allowed onboard the ship to sell tickets. I have never seen that before.

The ship does not tell you about the free shuttles from the port to the malls.

Edited by icsys

The above menu is specific to the Gin Bar, which is located to the left of the Safari Club, just past the pool tables.

I'm sure you could get them at any main bar.

Two flavoured gins with mixer was $18.88 inclusive of gratuity.

Edited by icsys

8 hours ago, icsys said:

The above menu is specific to the Gin Bar, which is located to the left of the Safari Club, just past the pool tables.

I'm sure you could get them at any main bar.

Two flavoured gins with mixer was $18.88 inclusive of gratuity.

Many thanks icsys, will be my first stop after boarding and probably my last stop before retiring that evening!

Jazz

As OP, I have been watching the replies with great interest and I thank everyone for their input. 
I posted originally because my wife didn’t want to travel because of potential terrorist action.  I have persuaded her to travel so we set off on Friday and have 2 full days at a hotel on the Marina. Because of her reluctance I have not booked anything, so would appreciate any suggestions for Dubai and also any tips for life on board JOS. 

we are Diamond plus, is concierge lounge still closed to D plus?  We have selected MTD but have booked a table each night at 7pm as I have read people had long waits on MTD if no reservation booked. 

Also, as D+ I have toyed with getting a Drinks package. My wife is a total non drinker, also she doesn’t drink soda, coffees etc, so I would not want to buy a drink package that involved my wife having to buy any package. I enjoy the usual on cruise drinks scenario, couple of beers after 11, wine with lunch, wine with dinner etc. With our D plus tokens between 5-8 is a package, even just for me worthwhile?

thanks again for any more input 

27 minutes ago, scottie99 said:

As OP, I have been watching the replies with great interest and I thank everyone for their input. 
I posted originally because my wife didn’t want to travel because of potential terrorist action.  I have persuaded her to travel so we set off on Friday and have 2 full days at a hotel on the Marina. Because of her reluctance I have not booked anything, so would appreciate any suggestions for Dubai and also any tips for life on board JOS. 

thanks again for any more input 

You use to get some nice boat trips from the marina. One went to the Creek which is really interesting area, and you can get Dubai metro back. Also Atlantis Dubai is worth a visit. They had half price tickets on sale on their website when we went last year. Easy to get a taxi over there. Enjoy the warm weather and hope you have a fab holiday. Jewel is my favourite Royal Caribbean ship

6 hours ago, scottie99 said:

Also, as D+ I have toyed with getting a Drinks package. My wife is a total non drinker, also she doesn’t drink soda, coffees etc, so I would not want to buy a drink package that involved my wife having to buy any package. I enjoy the usual on cruise drinks scenario, couple of beers after 11, wine with lunch, wine with dinner etc. With our D plus tokens between 5-8 is a package, even just for me worthwhile?

Keep in mind that you can use your Diamond Drinks for wine at dinner, since your dinner is during the Diamond Happy Hour time frame.  (This is provided the wine you would drink would be something served during Happy Hour.)

And even with your wife being a non-drinker, you'd need to buy the Refreshment Package for her for you to get a Deluxe Package.  For two beers and a couple wines a day (with potentially one of those wines being free during dinner), you'd come out ahead just paying by the drink.

1 hour ago, brillohead said:

Keep in mind that you can use your Diamond Drinks for wine at dinner, since your dinner is during the Diamond Happy Hour time frame.  (This is provided the wine you would drink would be something served during Happy Hour.)

And even with your wife being a non-drinker, you'd need to buy the Refreshment Package for her for you to get a Deluxe Package.  For two beers and a couple wines a day (with potentially one of those wines being free during dinner), you'd come out ahead just paying by the drink.

Is this new?

I didn't know I could use my free drinks vouchers in the restaurant

If I can, this is great news, thanks

22 hours ago, icsys said:

Just a heads up for anyone onboard contemplating the RCI airport transfer.

The cost is $18.95 USD per person - that is AED 69 PP

The cost of a taxi from the port to the airport is between 60-80 AED dependent on traffic.

There were four in our party so I decided that the equivalent of AED 276 for the coach transfer was a little over priced. 😠

The taxi cost for four was AED 78

Just be aware that you are not tricked by Royal when booking the airport transfer to terminal 2: we booked the transfer onboard for  terminal 2 . In the bus we learned that the subcontracted bus company only serves terminals 1 and 3. Their promise that at terminal 1 and 3 will be a free shuttle to terminal 2 was wrong. So we had to purchase a taxi from terminal 1 to satellite terminal 2 which is located on the opposite site of the airport .

• Like 1

D+ are not allowed in the CL.

As this is a port intensive cruise, so we have found that with the D+ drinks, the 2 bottles of wine we can bring on, 2 bottles from c&a, the bottle you win at the m&m... and the ability to order 3 glasses of wine each at dinner before the 8;30 curfew means that we rarely need to buy any drinks ! 🤑

Edited by little britain

43 minutes ago, little britain said:

D+ are not allowed in the CL.

As this is a port intensive cruise, so we have found that with the D+ drinks, the 2 bottles of wine we can bring on, 2 bottles from c&a, the bottle you win at the m&m... and the ability to order 3 glasses of wine each at dinner before the 8;30 curfew means that we rarely need to buy any drinks ! 🤑

" 2 bottles from C & A"

What are these? Are they complementaries left in your cabin from Crown and Anchor?

3 hours ago, compman9 said:

Is this new?

I didn't know I could use my free drinks vouchers in the restaurant

If I can, this is great news, thanks

Yes, it's been offered for the past year or two now in the MDR, during the Happy Hour time frame only.

Just mention that you want to use your Diamond Coupon when handing over your card, and make sure you order your last drink before the cut-off time.  

1 hour ago, scottie99 said:

well, that’s one bottle at least!

Remember to call them to order it if you haven’t done so already

here is the full list

https://dlxffu6hwewxp.cloudfront.net/cas/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/18063159_CAS_MemberBonus_Amenity_List_v3.pdf

Edited by little britain