Empress of the seas - 12 nights with Kids - Are we crazy?

2 minutes ago, mtsublueraider said:

That's amazing. Are the people rude? Is it  dirty? 

EVEN IF IT WAS FREE? That's strong... I'm curious. 

I see you're diamond so you've obviously sailed a ton. It's not an apples to apples comparison to newer ships of course but was it like crossing the high seas on the Santa Maria? 

It can't be that bad or else the ship would sail empty! 

Some people are value cruisers and will just go somewhere because it is cheap. That is not us.

We have a lot of choices for vacations between cruise lines and land experiences but only 28 vacation days a year. I would much rather pay more/use those limited days for great experiences than waste them on something “meh”. 

17 minutes ago, mtsublueraider said:

That's what I was HOPING because it says New York City instead of New Jersey. Even the agent on the phone said they thought it was NJ. Wondering though... 

The port tracking apps that I use (I am a TA) agree that it will be manhattan.   Unfortunately the manhattan cruise port does not have its schedule on-line as of yet.

6 minutes ago, stevea36 said:

The port tracking apps that I use (I am a TA) agree that it will be manhattan.   Unfortunately the manhattan cruise port does not have its schedule on-line as of yet.

thank you! That would be amazing. I looked at the Manhattan cruse terminal schedule for October and it did list other ships for a port of call but nothing from royal Caribbean 

13 minutes ago, kruzerci said:

Some people are value cruisers and will just go somewhere because it is cheap. That is not us.

We have a lot of choices for vacations between cruise lines and land experiences but only 28 vacation days a year. I would much rather pay more/use those limited days for great experiences than waste them on something “meh”. 

I can totally respect that. And I’m not trying to engage but some folks make more money than others and in some cases the decision would be to look at this as a new adventure and a longer cruise or do what we’ve done before. Can’t afford a B2B on a large ship:

i keep hearing people say they wouldn’t do it but not many reasons why. 

I bet the staff are great! Food is good! And there’s a bar or two we can find a drink. 

Other than the sq footage. Any issues with cabin? Reasonably updated? 

again, considering it transport to ports more than resort at sea. 

I have taken my two kids on 20 cruises since they were 3 and 5. We have stayed in all sorts of accommodations, from insides, to suites, to adjoining cabins, on cruises up to 14 days.   In every case, we have had a great time and the memories aren't so much of the cabin, but of the fun.

And because it horrifies so many, I always love to post this photo on these types of threads. We didn't mind it at all.

IMG_0619.JPG

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, mtsublueraider said:

I think I'm looking at it more of.... will we get good meals... be able to sleep the night... and generally have a good time having transportation to all of the different ports. On Oasis Class... the SHIP is the destination. On this... we wouldn't have to tender, fight crowds, or deal with the other things associated with the larger ship. And it's half the cost. 

Taking all of that into consideration. 

Would ANYONE do it? 🙂

Personally I would go on Empress any day of the week over an Oasis Class ship even at the same price or even if Empress  cost more.  We like smaller, less crowed, ships. 

If it does dock in Manhattan (my only experience is arrival and departure, we live in the area) then  you are about a 60 second walk to Intrepid. We were on the Intrepid yesterday, first time on an Aircraft Carrier and enjoyed the experience. You also around midtown on the west side so a good starting point to explore Manhattan. You can't see everything in a day so you have to decide what to do.  The weather can be nice and warm or cold and rainy at that time of the year.  If it is cold or rainy the children might like the Museum of Natural History (up on the west side of Central Park).  If it is nice there is Top of the Rock nearby (or the Empire State Building) if you want to go to the top of a skyscraper. Also Central Park is wonderful on a nice day.

Personally we like to walk in Manhattan (walked from Penn Station to Intrepid to Rockefeller Center to see the tree, stopped in at Christie's [no exhibits at the moment], St. Patrick's Cathedral, up 5th Ave to look at the high end stores, through Central Park to the MET and back to Penn Station) however it may be too much for a 5 and 3 year old.  Also, while we take the subway when the walk is too far the subway system can be a little confusing (try google maps).  

Only went to Bar Harbor by car so can't say much about a port stop there, however October is likely to be cool.  I believe the big draw is Acadia National Park (I think it is a very nice park) however, at that time of the year it might be too cold to enjoy. I have only been there in the summer.  You might want to check on that.

I have gone to Quebec many times (never on a cruise) and like the city.  I would go at any time of year. 

Was on a QM2 cruise that stopped in St. John.  We did not think it was that exciting a port stop.

October is very likely to be too cold to use the outside pool or watch the movies under the stars.  This cuts way down on what you can do with children on sea days.

Finally, as stated previously we were in an obstructed Ocean View cabin which was very small.  If my memory is correct (may not be, look for pictures), the extra Pullman beds drop down over the main bed which could be claustrophobic. It was hard enough to get into the bed even with the Pullman beds up.  I  would triple check to understand how they would fit 4 people in the cabin.

1 hour ago, mtsublueraider said:

I think I'm looking at it more of.... will we get good meals... be able to sleep the night... and generally have a good time having transportation to all of the different ports. On Oasis Class... the SHIP is the destination. On this... we wouldn't have to tender, fight crowds, or deal with the other things associated with the larger ship. And it's half the cost. 

Taking all of that into consideration. 

Would ANYONE do it? 🙂

NO WAY!! The cabins are too small for 2 people much less adding 2 kids into the mix.  I know it’s tempting to save money and cram everyone in one cabin but that’s gonna be a long 12 days!   When my kids were younger, we would get 2 cabins (connecting if possible)!if not my husband and I would split up for the week      The ship itself is old and crummy but it does have an amazing crew!  I was on it in November right before Thanksgiving and there were only a few kids onboard.  They were all in one club together, toddlers to teens. I think maybe 10 very bored kids in total. 
I’m sure if you decide to book this you will find a way to make it fun.  As I always say, a cruise is what YOU make of it!

Have not been on the Empress. In fact trying her this May for the first time.

But  I have been on the New England itinerary 3 times,. Both Royaland Celeb.
Cannot imagine what there is to do on that itinerary for a 3 and 5 year old. Especially if it is not a sunny time of the year. Save that for when they are a bit older.

I have two adult children of my own,  and have been an Elementary teacher for 30 years, would never do that with pre schoolers.

5 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

If it does dock in Manhattan (my only experience is arrival and departure, we live in the area) then  you are about a 60 second walk to Intrepid. We were on the Intrepid yesterday, first time on an Aircraft Carrier and enjoyed the experience. You also around midtown on the west side so a good starting point to explore Manhattan. You can't see everything in a day so you have to decide what to do.  The weather can be nice and warm or cold and rainy at that time of the year.  If it is cold or rainy the children might like the Museum of Natural History (up on the west side of Central Park).  If it is nice there is Top of the Rock nearby (or the Empire State Building) if you want to go to the top of a skyscraper. Also Central Park is wonderful on a nice day.

If if does dock next to Intrepid, then it is about a 2-3 block walk to the new 30 Hudson Yards with the highest outdoor observation deck in the Western Hemisphere (higher than the ESB). I spent a lot of time there working the past year and was able to go up there during construction and it's a breathtaking view!

Looking "down" at the ESB... 🙂

1700075281_ScreenShot2020-01-11at10_35_32PM.thumb.png.8c4c421030efe775bc273ffa51b5a7e8.png

Empress had 180 kids on board for Thanksgiving (I think).  I was on the cruise before with only a fraction of that.  I suspect those families survived just fine.  Maybe some didn't like, maybe some made lifelong memories.  BTW - That's 10% of the ship population.

If you are looking for a ship where you and your kids can hang out and have quality family time together Empress might be the right ship.  Would you go camping and put all four of you in a four or six person tent?  Empress will be a huge upgrade over camping like that.  

Empress does have Adventure Ocean programming that is different from the teens program.  They don't mix all ages groups into one.

Empress AO 08-10-19 8 Nt Eastern .PDF

Empress Teens 08-10-19 8 Nt Eastern .PDF

Empress AO and Teens CC Jul 21, 2019.pdf

Empress has a small kids splash area.

4mK1zH8.jpg

If your kids need a lot of activities to do on their own like water slides or bumper cars  or ice skating, Empress is not the ship for you.  If you are looking to actually spend time with your kids engaged with them throughout the cruise then this is something to continue doing what you are doing.  Research and ask questions.  Only you know your family and what will and won't work for you.  

On all my Empress sailings there were kids on board.  They seemed to be having a good time.  I never observed any bad behavior or whining like they hated being there.  

• Like 1

We were on the Empress in September, I really enjoyed the ship. It is smaller, but the crew is fantastic. We stayed in a junior suite, which is about the size of a balcony cabin on the other ships. You may want to look into that, I cannot remember if it had a pullout couch or pullman berths. Whatever you decide have a fabulous cruise. 

42 minutes ago, fletch1027 said:

If if does dock next to Intrepid, then it is about a 2-3 block walk to the new 30 Hudson Yards with the highest outdoor observation deck in the Western Hemisphere (higher than the ESB). I spent a lot of time there working the past year and was able to go up there during construction and it's a breathtaking view!

The Edge is scheduled to open in March.  It is about a 1 mile walk from the Intrepid. 

Also at Hudson Yards is the Vessel.

1 hour ago, fletch1027 said:

1700075281_ScreenShot2020-01-11at10_35_32PM.thumb.png.8c4c421030efe775bc273ffa51b5a7e8.png

thanks for the reply! How beautiful! We did Intrepid when in QM2 but sadly it looks like this itinerary has us going into New Jersey according to the port schedules. But if we brought car seats it looked like a quick jump over to Ellis island! Can’t beat that! 

1 hour ago, vegascruiser1 said:

We were on the Empress in September, I really enjoyed the ship. It is smaller, but the crew is fantastic. We stayed in a junior suite, which is about the size of a balcony cabin on the other ships. You may want to look into that, I cannot remember if it had a pullout couch or pullman berths. Whatever you decide have a fabulous cruise. 

thank you! Sadly it looks like all of those are taken but I’ve seen a hidden “balcony” forward in front of the cabins on deck seven and eight. Seems like that could be fun to have a unique and close outdoor space! 

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Empress had 180 kids on board for Thanksgiving (I think).  I was on the cruise before with only a fraction of that.  I suspect those families survived just fine.  Maybe some didn't like, maybe some made lifelong memories.  BTW - That's 10% of the ship population.

If you are looking for a ship where you and your kids can hang out and have quality family time together Empress might be the right ship.  Would you go camping and put all four of you in a four or six person tent?  Empress will be a huge upgrade over camping like that.  

Empress does have Adventure Ocean programming that is different from the teens program.  They don't mix all ages groups into one.

Empress AO 08-10-19 8 Nt Eastern .PDF 395.63 kB · 0 downloads

Empress Teens 08-10-19 8 Nt Eastern .PDF 403.91 kB · 0 downloads

Empress AO and Teens CC Jul 21, 2019.pdf 875 kB · 0 downloads

Empress has a small kids splash area.

4mK1zH8.jpg

If your kids need a lot of activities to do on their own like water slides or bumper cars  or ice skating, Empress is not the ship for you.  If you are looking to actually spend time with your kids engaged with them throughout the cruise then this is something to continue doing what you are doing.  Research and ask questions.  Only you know your family and what will and won't work for you.  

On all my Empress sailings there were kids on board.  They seemed to be having a good time.  I never observed any bad behavior or whining like they hated being there.  

this is the response I was looking for. And YES, we could camp together. We value time spent together and can make our memories no matter the circumstances. I’m excited! Just as long as the crew has a smile and I can find good meals this is looking like an adventure I will look forward to. 

27 minutes ago, mtsublueraider said:

what does that mean? Finding fall and the colors is exactly what I’m looking for

Its a term used fairly often in the northeast.  Not sure about the rest of the country.

People try to look for the perfect fall colors.  In fact there are some web sites that track peak color (a mix of bright reds, yellows and still some green).  The fall New England cruises tend to be looking for fall colors.

It is of course an inexact science and depends on temperatures, rainfall during the season, etc.  The time of peak fall color in any given area can vary by many weeks from year to year.  Too early and the leaves are still mostly green,  too late and everything is brown.

FYI, you might want to fly into Quebec an extra day early if that fits in with your schedule. I would stay at the Frontenac if it fits your budget.  We didn't take our children to Montreal and Quebec until they were older so can't help with what to do with young children.

PS. Not sure about the 5 year old however the 3 year old may just be excited by the whole experience of new things.

22 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

FYI, you might want to fly into Quebec an extra day early if that fits in with your schedule. I would stay at the Frontenac if it fits your budget.  We didn't take our children to Montreal and Quebec until they were older so can't help with what to do with young children.

Oops. Didn't realize it started in Montreal.  Thought the cruise started in Quebec.  Still, I would fly in a day early if that works for you.  In 2019 in October they had a Chinese lantern festival in the Montreal Botanical Gardens, you need to buy nighttime tickets in advance.  I thought it was very well done.  It is very near the old Olympic Stadium.  The Biodome was closed for refurbishment.  Not sure what it will be like this year.

If you actually do dock in Bayonne: 

Your children might like the Liberty Science center better than Ellis Island/ Statute of Liberty.  If you want to climb to the Crown you need to get tickets in advance (not sure it is worth the climb even though I have done it a few times).  I have never done it however I don't think there is anything that stops you from going to Ellis Island/Statute of Liberty from New Jersey on the ferry and then taking the ferry to downtown NY (Battery Park) from there you can explore NYC. 

FYI, there is airport like security to get on the ferry to Ellis Island/Statute of Liberty.  I have no clue as to what you would do with car seats or a stroller.

4 hours ago, mtsublueraider said:

thanks for the reply! How beautiful! We did Intrepid when in QM2 but sadly it looks like this itinerary has us going into New Jersey according to the port schedules. But if we brought car seats it looked like a quick jump over to Ellis island! Can’t beat that! 

People are not telling you that they don’t like the Empress. They aren’t saying “don’t cruise with your kids.”  They are responding to your precise question about taking two young children on the Empress on a TWELVE night cruise - roughly twice the length of “all the Caribbean cruises” you say you have been on - when your only accommodation option looks like 126 sq ft. 

As I stated before, there are no suites available for this sailing. 

And you are talking about taking taking their car seats!

That would take up ALL of the space in the cabin that isn’t a bed. NO exaggeration. 

We are trying to give you advice based on reality. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cyntil8ing said:

I have taken my two kids on 20 cruises since they were 3 and 5. We have stayed in all sorts of accommodations, from insides, to suites, to adjoining cabins, on cruises up to 14 days.   In every case, we have had a great time and the memories aren't so much of the cabin, but of the fun.

And because it horrifies so many, I always love to post this photo on these types of threads. We didn't mind it at all.

IMG_0619.JPG

That my friend is close quarters, but you made it work for you!

11 hours ago, cyntil8ing said:

IMG_0619.JPG

By the way, the bunk beds “require” that the occupant be at least six years old. 

The parents would be sleeping in the bunk beds, not the kids!

• Like 2