Chilled Soups?

DoggyDaddy

On past Holland America cruises, there was usually a chilled soup appetizer option. I understand that this has been discontinued. However, in the current World Cruise I noticed that they are on the menu. Is this fleet wide or just for the World Tour? We are taking a 44 day cruise in March and DW would be very happy if they are back.

DD

This is encouraging news.  On our last Cruise Survey, I made sure to include a comment about missing the chilled soups, and remember an older Thread where others are doing the same.  I used to enjoy them so much.

Happy Sailing!

On last year's cruise (partial Panama), I mentioned to our server in the MDR how much I missed the chilled soups and he got them for me after that.  🙂  I hope the same thing happens this year (leaving in 8 days!  yahoo - can't wait!)

The chilled soups on the GWV have been fantastic.  I passed on last night's because it was beet (☹️) but we have had some great ones.  My favorite so far was one with apples, pears, and eggnog.  Sounds weird but was delicious.  Tonight's is chilled strawberry bisque which I will order.

I used to love the Chilled Soups.  I don't see them offered very often.  It used to be the was a broth, a creamed soup and a chilled soup at dinner in the dining room. Now there is one offered each evening and the option is French Onion Soup.

I promise I'm not being snarky. But for the life of me I just don't get the appeal of a chilled fruit soup as an appetizer. It sounds like a fancy glass of juice or a smoothie in a bowl with a spoon. Yet folks repeatedly lament their absence.

I never ordered one when they were available, so help me understand:  Why would people want a sweet appetizer? (I assume they are sweet?)  What makes them special, over and above something like a fruit smoothie or drink (neither of which I would ever desire as an appetizer....)?

Now if it was a chilled sorbet served as a palate cleanser or intermezzo, then maybe .... but only maybe. And I've never thought those were that great either.

Am I the only one who doesn't feel the chilled fruit soup love?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I personally looked forward to them b/c it is typically something one doesn't make at home -- one could consider them to be lighter fare -- and a nice course for warm-weather cruising,   That said, I expect the food cost on them is fairly high, and the future meal re-purpose opportunity quite low.   As for popularity, despite the pleadings of above, I don't think they were generally too loved -- focus group of one notwithstanding, I seemed to be the only person at my table to ever order them.  Plus, consumer tastes, like hemlines, change with the years.     Scott. 

Edited by YXU AC*SE
  • Like 2

Not really sweet.  I prefer the creamy ones, but some like the ones without cream because they are very fruit-forward.  As noted, these are not something you get every day and there is appeal in that.

HAL's regular soups have been demoted to a tablespoon or two (rarely two) of veg and/or meat and a lot of broth.  Not worth the bother, so the chilled fruit soups hold even more appeal.

• Like 2

Cruisemom42,

I agree with you question about the fruit soup during the meal.  HOWEVER, I LOVE most of the fruit soups I had on HAL.  BUT I always asked the steward to serve it as my Dessert!  For me it has been a perfect dessert, sweet enough but not too sweet or filling.

Edited by wander

3 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

Not really sweet.  I prefer the creamy ones, but some like the ones without cream because they are very fruit-forward.  As noted, these are not something you get every day and there is appeal in that.

HAL's regular soups have been demoted to a tablespoon or two (rarely two) of veg and/or meat and a lot of broth.  Not worth the bother, so the chilled fruit soups hold even more appeal.

One, non-sweet, favorite of ours is Rudi Sodomin's creation served on HAL when your lucky.

https://honestcooking.com/chilled-pea-soup-with-chives-recipe/

Edited by DFWGUYZ