Baggage Handling Company

Fatchemist

Thanks for that.  It certainly seems like it might work for us.

Just back from New Year Cruise.. first one after an accident last year.  I was no help with lifting the cases and I think OH found it a bit wearing.  We always drive down the day before and getting the cases in the hotel then back out again was a bit difficult for him.. now we aren't spring chickens!!!!

• Like 1

You keep your case on the last night then take it down in the "self help" group. Alternatively you can put it out and collect from the Baggage Hall. Either way the company van is waiting outside to take your case and arrange a delivery date to your home. I once had a late disembarkation from Oceana and the Baggage Handling Company driver phoned my mobile to ask if he could get my case from the Hall as he had all the others. I described it to him and 10 minutes later he phoned me back to say it was on the van and arrange home delivery. Great service.

20 hours ago, tartanexile81 said:

One case each for 30 days???  My shoes, handbags and toiletries fill up one case :classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

My husband has one very large case.  That takes some of my shoes, but apart from that everything fits into my own case.  He takes a carry on holder for his dinner jacket and blazer.  But that's it.  As I said, I still come home with stuff that I haven't worn.  Handbags?????  I take one.  I don't bother with anything in the evenings.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Clodia said:

You keep your case on the last night then take it down in the "self help" group. Alternatively you can put it out and collect from the Baggage Hall. Either way the company van is waiting outside to take your case and arrange a delivery date to your home. I once had a late disembarkation from Oceana and the Baggage Handling Company driver phoned my mobile to ask if he could get my case from the Hall as he had all the others. I described it to him and 10 minutes later he phoned me back to say it was on the van and arrange home delivery. Great service.

Must say, I am shocked at this.  The baggage hall is before you go through customs, I would not be taking anyone's bag through customs but my own.

I am giving consideration to booking this for our next cruise, probably will just do the outbound journey which will save me lugging the cases into the hotel for the night. I can manage the return journey with a porters help, and prefer to be able to start on the laundry as soon as we get back.

1 hour ago, davemorton said:

Must say, I am shocked at this.  The baggage hall is before you go through customs, I would not be taking anyone's bag through customs but my own.

I think that might depend on which terminal you use. I’ve only got experience of Mayflower, but the baggage hall is definitely after customs in that one.

2 minutes ago, Les_ldh said:

I think that might depend on which terminal you use. I’ve only got experience of Mayflower, but the baggage hall is definitely after customs in that one.

I think you have this wrong. The baggage hall is definitely before customs at Mayflower and at all the other terminals. At any port or airport the customs have the right to examine any baggage you are bringing into the country and they can only do this after you have collected your baggage.

Brian

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BrianI said:

I think you have this wrong. The baggage hall is definitely before customs at Mayflower and at all the other terminals. At any port or airport the customs have the right to examine any baggage you are bringing into the country and they can only do this after you have collected your baggage.

Brian

What you say makes perfect sense so I’m not disputing what you say, and maybe I’m having a senior moment, but my recollection of when I came off Ventura in June 2018 at Mayflower was that once I picked up my bags in the baggage hall I walked through a set of double doors straight outside and handed my cases to the baggage handling company. As I say, I am not yet an experienced cruiser so maybe it’s my memory playing tricks on me.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Les_ldh said:

What you say makes perfect sense so I’m not disputing what you say, and maybe I’m having a senior moment, but my recollection of when I came off Ventura in June 2018 at Mayflower was that once I picked up my bags in the baggage hall I walked through a set of double doors straight outside and handed my cases to the baggage handling company. As I say, I am not yet an experienced cruiser so maybe it’s my memory playing tricks on me.

The normal way out is at the opposite end of the hall to the one you enter, and customs is after this point.

There are double doors on the right hand side which is where the porters return, and trolleys are brought back.

If you escaped through these then there might be a wanted poster for you next time you visit Mayflower.😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know that we are all on cctv and Customs are watching from a distance but the customs hall is so easy to miss as we have never seen a soul in one.    At first we didn't even realise we had been through.   Deserted every time. 

It doesn't create a good impression.

21 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

I know that we are all on cctv and Customs are watching from a distance but the customs hall is so easy to miss as we have never seen a soul in one.    At first we didn't even realise we had been through.   Deserted every time. 

The last few times at Southampton there have been several customs officers on duty, and a couple of tables with bags being searched.

4 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

My husband has one very large case.  That takes some of my shoes, but apart from that everything fits into my own case.  He takes a carry on holder for his dinner jacket and blazer.  But that's it.  As I said, I still come home with stuff that I haven't worn.  Handbags?????  I take one.  I don't bother with anything in the evenings.

Obviously enjoy different aspects of the cruise. So much of it for me and my friends is glamming up with lots of bling and sparkle!  👠🍾:classic_biggrin: I follow the Queen's lead and never feel dressed without a handbag :classic_ohmy:

• Like 3

Ha ha, I like to dress up too.  Have my dresses for formal nights, but don't carry a bag.  If I did, I would leave it somewhere.  What do I need a bag for?   I wear my jewellry, perfume, makeup. 

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Ha ha, I like to dress up too.  Have my dresses for formal nights, but don't carry a bag.  If I did, I would leave it somewhere.  What do I need a bag for?   I wear my jewellry, perfume, makeup. 

I keep the same in mine as the Queen does in hers. Indispensable!

Got my 10 outfits, 5 pairs of evening shoes and 4 evening bags ready for the formals my next 35 day cruise. Travelling light this time :classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, tartanexile81 said:

I keep the same in mine as the Queen does in hers. Indispensable!

Got my 10 outfits, 5 pairs of evening shoes and 4 evening bags ready for the formals my next 35 day cruise. Travelling light this time :classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

If you are travelling on Ventura then 35 night cruises now only have 8 formal nights.

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life-on-board/dress_code_all.html

Edited by terrierjohn

The BHC ask you not to put alcohol, tobacco or medication in your suitcases; all of these have to go in hand luggage if you carry them, so there are no issues going through customs. On the day I described, there were no officers on duty so the staff were able to collect what was one of the last few cases and take it to the van. I do not see a problem with this, and in any case it was a one-off because i normally do self help and take my own case off at about 7.40 am.

16 hours ago, indiana123 said:

16 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

The last few times at Southampton there have been several customs officers on duty, and a couple of tables with bags being searched.

Totally agree with Indiana's post regarding lack of Customs officers at the bench.  That may change next week/end of the year. 

That said when we got off Oceana last week saw someone being turned out.  From what I saw they were well over the over the "suggested" max limit for cigarettes/tobacco duty paid in the EU, let alone the duty free limit if they had bought their stash in one of the port duty free shops.

20 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I am giving consideration to booking this for our next cruise, probably will just do the outbound journey which will save me lugging the cases into the hotel for the night. I can manage the return journey with a porters help, and prefer to be able to start on the laundry as soon as we get back.

I only do the outbound journey as it saves taking cases in and out of hotel. The porters help me take the cases to the car for the homeward journey and I have help to take them out at home. It is a godsend as sometimes we stop halfway down to Southampton for the night and then in Southampton the night before. 

1 hour ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Totally agree with Indiana's post regarding lack of Customs officers at the bench.  That may change next week/end of the year. 

That said when we got off Oceana last week saw someone being turned out.  From what I saw they were well over the over the "suggested" max limit for cigarettes/tobacco duty paid in the EU, let alone the duty free limit if they had bought their stash in one of the port duty free shops.

They do seem underused, but our last cruise at NY, there were plenty of 'agents' around with sniffer dogs, but did not see anyone searched. 

Apparently, they are pretty active around weekend cruises to Amsterdam... Can't think why? 🤔

Andy