5 for Free isn't Free At All

cruzsnooze

9 minutes ago, cementhands said:

I agree free is not free. The tips and added cost of basically the same room as a sail away are excessive to $1,000.00 for 2 people. We enjoyed the sail away rate many times. Recently on the Gem 2 in ocean view for 14 nights was like $1,900.00. Same room with free drinks package was $2,900.00.

My wife doesn’t drink. Cancer survivor so no bashing, please. But I can’t drink $1,000.00 worth in 2 weeks.
On RCL and celebrity we’re diamond and elite so we get a few free drinks a night but we enjoy Ncl activities more.
The Gem was always fun nightly dancing activities. Going on the Bliss soon and hopefully the same. I think it’s all personal preference. My 90 year old mother cruises with drinks package only. Red wine has preserved her well.

The difference in Sail Away or not really depends on the sailing and the room type. Right now, on my upcoming March sailings on the Bliss, the difference between a Sail Away inside and the lowest inside room category with perks is $30 per person for the WEEK.  For Oceanview it's $50 per person for the week. And for a Balcony and Mini-suite, the difference is $100 per person for the week.

Edited by JamieLogical

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

The difference in Sail Away or not really depends on the sailing and the room type. Right now, on my upcoming March sailings on the Bliss, the difference between a Sail Away inside and the lowest inside room category with perks is $30 per person for the WEEK.  For Oceanview it's $50 per person for the week. And for a Balcony and Mini-suite, the difference is $100 per person for the week.

Yes, but this is since they raised the price of the sailaway.  Up until very recently the sailaway rate was hundreds of dollars less than the rooms with promotions.  So, what they've done is ruin the value of the sailaway.  Now there's no point of getting the sailway rate.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Sounds like you had the Classic Package and were ordering drinks at the Martini Bar...

BTW, the upgrade from Classic to Premium on Celebrity is $12 per day...one or all in the cabin can upgrade..

Zacapa old fashioned for me, Sailers crush for my wife. Signed for three dollars each drink, plus tip several times a day. I would do it again. My point is, that was my free drink perk on Celebrity .

On 1/23/2020 at 7:40 PM, 2+2 said:

My last Celebrity cruise, I had to sign for an additional three dollars on almost every drink I got. And , I was only able to get one drink at a time. I  had to make two trips to the bar each time that I  wanted one for my wife and I to have out on our balcony. Poor me. 

This doesn't make sense

With both sea passes you can pick up a drink for each pax. 

Celebrity does charge the difference in any drink over the package limit which is far better than other lines that charge the full drink price that doesn't conform to package rules.

Celebrity also allows you to pick up the drink and a bottle of water at the same time.

Also no time delay like other lines that limit when a drink can be picked up at the bar

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

This doesn't make sense

Celebrity does charge the difference in any drink over the package limit which is far better than other lines that charge the full drink price that doesn't conform to package rules.

Celebrity also allows you to pick up the drink and a bottle of water at the same time.

Also no time delay like other lines that limit when a drink can be picked up at the bar

NCL only charges the difference plus 20% gratuity on their drinks over the limit also.

25 minutes ago, SullytheBFG said:

We don’t pay any extra for drinks package, only the daily general gratuity. In Europe you can’t give things away and then make further charges.

so our price is what it is, very happy!

May be the gratuity is already included in the price.

Will try to compare the price tomorrow.

On 1/25/2020 at 8:14 AM, Fogfog said:

This doesn't make sense

Royal, carnival, princess, and NCL all only charge the price difference too. Royal and NCL don't have a time limit. 

On 1/24/2020 at 7:17 AM, Liljo22 said:

And the reason why people "let them get away with it" is because Carnival and RCCL do not have their drink or dining package as a perk.  A 7 day drink package for 2 on Carnival comes out to $858.21 and on RCCL its $908.60.  NCL is $277.20.  We can get into the sailaway rates vs rates with offers but it comes down to this for me.  Is NCL with the packages a better value for my cruise than Carnival or RCCL.  It was for me.  My family of 4 are in a balcony on the 7 Day Getaway with drink and dining package for $3053.  Liberty of the Seas without the drink package was going to be about $4500 and Vista without Cheers was going to be about $4,000.  

Exactly!  Set up a spreadsheet when narrowing down your choices and figure out the cost differences.   That's what I started doing and NCL is always less money based on what items are important to me.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, catinhat said:

Exactly!  Set up a spreadsheet when narrowing down your choices and figure out the cost differences.   That's what I started doing and NCL is always less money based on what items are important to me.

We have done two Royal C. cruises and were Diamond because we were Celebrity Elite.   Diamond Happy Hour runs from 5pm until 8.

You can order wine at the MDR as long as it is prior to 8.

On both our cruises, we didn't have a drink package and didn't spend anything on alcohol.

Also, drink packages were available and were far cheaper per day than what we have seen on Celebrity or NCL.

The NCL beverage package has very poor choices for wine.  Only the Chardonnay is good.  Also NCL charges the absurd 20% gratuities based on $99 per person per day.  

58 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

We have done two Royal C. cruises and were Diamond because we were Celebrity Elite.   Diamond Happy Hour runs from 5pm until 8.

You can order wine at the MDR as long as it is prior to 8.

On both our cruises, we didn't have a drink package and didn't spend anything on alcohol.

Also, drink packages were available and were far cheaper per day than what we have seen on Celebrity or NCL.

The NCL beverage package has very poor choices for wine.  Only the Chardonnay is good.  Also NCL charges the absurd 20% gratuities based on $99 per person per day.  

Good for you but a majority of cruisers are not Diamond/elite/platinum status.  On a 4000 passenger ship, I would be surprised if more than 500 cruisers are at that level.  

23 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

4774Papa I am wondering if you happen to have photos of the wine list, or know where it might be posted?   Or does it change by ship/sailing?    We are going on an NCL Greek Island cruise next Sept, and I have been wondering what would be available!

11 minutes ago, Buttongirl72 said:

4774Papa I am wondering if you happen to have photos of the wine list, or know where it might be posted?   Or does it change by ship/sailing?    We are going on an NCL Greek Island cruise next Sept, and I have been wondering what would be available!

There are a few more that are not on here.  Anything $15 and under would be included.  If you want one more than $15, you would pay the difference plus 20% gratuity.

A911EE40-13DB-465D-94AE-EA0C702C3364.jpeg

70EA2B54-708D-4CD3-9693-744F84F0585F.jpeg

1BF026BD-36F4-4ED3-884C-5F6D5E3BACA8.jpeg

On 1/23/2020 at 8:38 AM, JamieLogical said:

I don't know why this is such a challenge for people. Every cruse line (every business for that matter) has their BS marketing. Cut through all that crap and look at the TOTAL cost of the trip. I am in the process of buying a new washer and dryer. All the big box stores have "deals" going for "30-40%" off, but that is literally ALWAYS the case. Good luck ever finding a full priced washer and dryer somewhere! Ignore the marketing and look at the bottom line. How is this a new concept to any functioning adult that has ever had to make ANY major purchase?

That's true - yay for the USA where we never know what the price of anything is!  I'm curious to try other cruise lines that don't do US pricing and are up front about the cost.  But, sigh - that's what we are used to.

A great example is restaurants.  So you have a meal that is $20 in the US that would cost you $25 in the EU.  By the time you add tax (say 10%) and tip (20%), you're paying $26. The "less expensive" meal ends up costing more... 

On 1/26/2020 at 2:06 PM, SullytheBFG said:

We don’t pay any extra for drinks package, only the daily general gratuity. In Europe you can’t give things away and then make further charges.

so our price is what it is, very happy!

I highly doubt,  your rate is the SAME as a Sail Away rate?    So,  the price of your "free" stuff is that difference.    Yes,  there is most always a cost for perks.   

3 hours ago, Liljo22 said:

There are a few more that are not on here.  Anything $15 and under would be included.  If you want one more than $15, you would pay the difference plus 20% gratuity.

A911EE40-13DB-465D-94AE-EA0C702C3364.jpeg

70EA2B54-708D-4CD3-9693-744F84F0585F.jpeg

1BF026BD-36F4-4ED3-884C-5F6D5E3BACA8.jpeg

Viewing that wine list, it amazes me how much the prices of wines have gone up.  

When we had the bev package, NCL had just reduced the wines on the list (wines included without extra cost) and reduced it to about 12 wines.  There was one Cabernet on the list.  Looks like most of the wines available are from 21-31 dollars.  I do see two Cabernets for 9 dollars.  Not sure if those are available on the bev package?  

I think that I will still prefer to bring my own wines.   I can purchase some very good wines like Fourteen Hands for about $11-12 per bottle, pay the corkage fee of $15 and still pay only about $26-$27 per bottle, with NO gratuity.  If I get the package, I am paying about $20 per day for self and  wife for total of $40 per day in gratuities.  If we drink a bottle of wine a day, we are way ahead.  Sure, occasionally, my wife might have a scotch and I will have a beer, but usually not every day.

26 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

I do see two Cabernets for 9 dollars.  Not sure if those are available on the bev package?  

All alcoholic drinks under $15 are available on the beverage package and any over $15, you pay the difference plus a 20% gratuity on the difference. So a $16 wine would cost you $1.20.

On 1/31/2020 at 1:46 AM, Budget Queen said:

I highly doubt,  your rate is the SAME as a Sail Away rate?    So,  the price of your "free" stuff is that difference.    Yes,  there is most always a cost for perks.   

Sailaway price plus £99 gave us on our 10:day cruise 4nights speciality dining and 10 days free beverage package up to £15 per drink. No further gratuities, costs or charges.

we are happy with it......

On 1/23/2020 at 9:11 AM, 4774Papa said:

NCL price bundling has pushed NCL out of the competition with Celebrity and Royal C.  We book early and NCL never seems to allow a NO PERK choice, unlike Celebrity and Royal.

Easy, book a sail away cabin, no free perks with gratuities added on

This is still being discussed?  Now, I have to get more popcorn.

NCL's drink package allows you to get any drink ($15 limit), anywhere on the ship, any time, for just the cost of the tip.  I know some here have quoted they can get their drinks at certain times, only in certain places, on other cruise lines.  But, they're limited.  I'm betting those who are getting the "free" drinks on other lines also tip for those drinks (at least I hope they do).  So, tomato-tomahto!

I've sailed Royal.  I like them.  But, over the last couple of years, whatever they have given away to their top cruisers, have cost more in the fares.  Celebrity's fares are even more.  Heck, for a Jr Suite on Royal, I can sail the Haven on the Escape with ALL THE PERKS.  I know!  I just priced them out.

I'm sailing on Carnival Vista this month.  Booked a nice cabin (Havana).  But, I also spent an extra $300+ for the drink package (vs just tips for NCL at less than ½ that amount) and another $100 for specialty dining, which is included in the NCL perks package.

I know people want to offer their favorite cruise company as "proof" of the better value.  But, I don't see it.  You're paying for it somewhere down the line.

Sailing Celebrity or Royal just hasn't been in the cards for me in the last few years because of the TOTAL cost of what it would cost me to cruise with them, which have been generally higher (like for like fares+perks+tips) than NCL.

Haven't done Carnival in a while.  So, looking forward to sailing one of their new ships to see what it's like these days.