Oasis - Junior Suites oversold for March sailing

klove613

6 hours ago, sdrocks said:

I totally agree.  Would not give up a JS without more incentives or bump up to a better suite.

Very interested to hear what happens if you simply refuse any offer.

33 minutes ago, Gerginator said:

I guess I can go ahead and cancel my RoyalUp bid for a JS on 2/23 then...

In all seriousness I’m very sorry to hear about this for everyone affected 

Not necessarily, you may be one of the lucky ones

4 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

No one is affected yet.  This is simply an offer that went out to everyone booked in a JS.  They are only looking for a few takers. 

We don't really know how many takers they are looking for. We do know that a poster was told by Royal that two different groups were assigned the same JS. I think there are around 86 Junior Suites on Oasis. What if they are all double booked? I certainly hope this is not the case, but we simply don't know. 

I hope that I will get more info about the situation on Monday. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, klove613 said:

We don't really know how many takers they are looking for. We do know that a poster was told by Royal that two different groups were assigned the same JS. I think there are around 86 Junior Suites on Oasis. What if they are all double booked? I certainly hope this is not the case, but we simply don't know. 

I hope that I will get more info about the situation on Monday. 

I have clients on one of these sailings and just reporting what the reps that I deal with told me.  Every JS is not double booked.

• Like 3

On 1/24/2020 at 11:14 PM, klove613 said:

I find it hard to believe that people will be reassigned from Junior Suites that they paid for to less expensive Balconies and receive nothing in exchange.

What on earth are you talking about?  

They are offering a cash refund AND some additional OBC.... did you even read this thread?

18 hours ago, suesnake2002 said:

I would ask on the roll call page if anyone got a royal up email. I do not trust the web site. It does not show all available cabins

What possible difference would a RoyalUp email make?

The RoyalUp program is managed by a third party, and sending out offers has absolutely nothing to do with available inventory.  

Translation: they will send out RoyalUp emails even if there are no rooms available.

A RoyalUp offer is not a bid on an open room -- it's just letting Royal know that IF there is a room available, you'd be willing to pay X amount of dollars to change to it.  

It's also free market research for Royal, getting an idea of what the threshold is that they can charge for various categories of rooms.... how much are people really willing to pay.  

1 hour ago, brillohead said:

What on earth are you talking about?  

They are offering a cash refund AND some additional OBC.... did you even read this thread?

Since I started the thread I certainly did read it. Did you? I was responding to a poster who said that if you did not respond to Royal's survey that you would be reassigned and receive nothing. 

As far as the cash refund goes, that would only put some of us equal with what booking a balcony would have cost to begin with. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My travel agent did some calls yesterday.  The 'downgrade' would be to an oceanview balcony not a Boardwalk/Central park as I was wondering. There are plenty of oceanview balconies available on both of my sailings that are impacted Feb 23 & March 1..

In our case we are B2B and when we booked a year ago the second person was 50% off and we did receive a decent senior discount on both sailings.  The amount of $$$ we would be refunded is not that high and if we took them up on the 'offer' RCI would get away rather inexpensively for their error at least for us. 

These sailings were also on the Going Going Gone sale but I cannot confirm if JS were  offered. 

However as of now there are NO same oceanview balconies on both sailings.   😞 

We are on the March 1 sailing, having booked a JS in Feb of 2019. We got the email; as did our friends next door. Both of us have responded "No" to the offer as it makes us paying more for an ocean view balcony that they are selling for at the moment - not worth it to me. Possibly if i was to get 50% back of the entire cruise fare we may have considered it. 

We will be anxious to see what happens after the survey period ends on Jan 31. We also received a Royal Up email in Dec and put in a bid on a couple of different categories. So we'll also wonder if they do not get enough responses they decide to do upgrades instead of downgrades.

Following this topic closely....

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, scooter6251 said:

Has anyone heard anything about JS overbooking on the March 8 Oasis cruise?

From all i have heard there are only 3 sailings....2 in Feb and this Mar 1 sailing affected. Which is why the survey, when completed asked which of the 3 sailings you are booked

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JeffKoz said:

From all i have heard there are only 3 sailings....2 in Feb and this Mar 1 sailing affected. Which is why the survey, when completed asked which of the 3 sailings you are booked

I asked because we have a JS GTY on the Mar 8.  We didn't choose the guarantee but it was all available when we wanted to upgrade from a balcony because of our 45th anniversary.  Never in 25 cruises have we booked a GTY cabin.  TA felt it shouldn't be a problem since she had done this many times before and never had a problem.  Until now?!?  We'll see what happens.

7 minutes ago, scooter6251 said:

I asked because we have a JS GTY on the Mar 8.  We didn't choose the guarantee but it was all available when we wanted to upgrade from a balcony because of our 45th anniversary.  Never in 25 cruises have we booked a GTY cabin.  TA felt it shouldn't be a problem since she had done this many times before and never had a problem.  Until now?!?  We'll see what happens.

I have done guaranty cabins a few times in the past and never had a problem. That category clearly states you get that cabin or BETTER....i have seen some topics on people getting downgraded but you should be able to negotiate that if it happens

14 hours ago, klove613 said:

I was responding to a poster who said that if you did not respond to Royal's survey that you would be reassigned and receive nothing. 

That was complete conjecture on the part of the person making that statement.  There is nothing in this thread or in Royal's history that indicates this would happen.  Read your email again -- where does it say that if you don't respond, you're just screwed?  Oh, that's right, it doesn't.  Someone just made that part up.

14 hours ago, klove613 said:

As far as the cash refund goes, that would only put some of us equal with what booking a balcony would have cost to begin with. 

I agree that their offer is incredibly weak for what they're asking for.  As mentioned, they are only looking for a few people to take the offer to get them out of this jam -- if they don't get any takers from this, they'll sweeten the pot (or take counter-offers from people who have offered them).  

This is (as has already been mentioned) similar to an overbooked flight.  At first they offer a couple hundred bucks in flight vouchers.... if they still need more takers, they offer a refund of your flight cost plus the flight vouchers.... if they still need more takers, they offer more and more money until they get enough volunteers. 

(On my way home from my last cruise, in addition to an overnight hotel and food vouchers, I was offered $750 in GIFT CARDS -- not even just money to use on future flights with the airline, but gift cards to places like Amazon and even Royal Caribbean!  I was all set to collect my windfall, and someone was a no-show so they didn't need my seat after all and I went home on time with nothing extra in my pocket.)

If the offer in the email isn't worth it to you, just answer "no" and wait for the next offer (or wait for someone else to take the offer and you get your original room and price).  

10 hours ago, suesnake2002 said:

Wow brillohead. I was unaware of all that info. Very enlightening. I had thought the royal up was based on availability. 

So royal gets free research info on the royal up. As far as exactly how much the customer is willing to pay. 

Interesting. 

Yep -- there are all kinds of reports of RoyalUp offers on completely sold out cruises... I've had it myself on my Symphony cruise in March.  It was Canadian school spring break week, so the ship was completely sold out WAY in advance, but they still offered RoyalUp several times leading up to the cruise.

Even on a sold-out cruise, the info can be used.  In the event that someone has to cancel last-minute (missed a flight, illness/injury, work emergency and can't leave town, death in the family, or whatever), they have a list of who will pay the most to upgrade to that room, and then who will pay the most to upgrade to the room that the upgraded people are leaving empty, and on and on and on down the line.  

It maximizes their profit, and they're a business, so they are doing this for the purpose of making a profit.

19 minutes ago, brillohead said:

That was complete conjecture on the part of the person making that statement.  There is nothing in this thread or in Royal's history that indicates this would happen.  Read your email again -- where does it say that if you don't respond, you're just screwed?  Oh, that's right, it doesn't.  Someone just made that part up.

My entire point was that Royal WOULD not do that. I am well aware that there is nothing to indicate that Royal would do as the other poster stated and move people to lesser rooms with no compensation. You are arguing with the wrong person here. 

Edited by klove613
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, klove613 said:

My entire point was that Royal WOULD not do that. I am well aware that there is nothing to indicate that Royal would do as the other poster stated and move people to lesser rooms with no compensation. You are arguing with the wrong person here. 

I definitely did not get that from your statement.... what you said made it sound like you believed that would/could happen, which is why I made my comments.  

On 1/25/2020 at 9:52 AM, klove613 said:

My daughter received a Royal Up email on Jan 19, which I thought was weird since she is a young adult and never books anything.

According to jmh2006, there are two groups booked into their JS. I wonder how many Junior Suites are affected

Edited by Pacew
Sorry posted to wrong thread.

2 hours ago, brillohead said:

Actually, that statement was made by a RCI supervisor who spoke to on Friday night for 30 minutes in order to figure out what to do about this debacle. Now, you can definitely take what they say with a grain of salt, which I do, but do not think that it was “complete conjecture on the part of the person making that statement”. This is very upsetting to myself and those who are affected and we are only here to try and help each other!

• Like 1

On 1/25/2020 at 9:53 AM, emmy said:

Yes I was Offered Royal Up for the Feb 23 sailing. It came on Dec 26.

three sailings are oversold Feb 16, Feb 23 and March 1

Emmy -- please keep us in the loop on what happens with your JSs.  We are sailing on HM on 4-19-2020 and I don't want to downgrade from a JS for any reason.  We like the room and the perks.  Only thing I would accept would be an upgrade.  

• Like 1

On 1/24/2020 at 9:19 PM, emmy said:

I am also on March 1 sailing and the one before Feb 23 and the offer is for both my sailings 

Yes!! I am booked on the Feb 23 sailing and received this as well. If we specifically chose a stateroom a year ago I do not see how they can deny us that cabin and especially if we have been paid in full for months! 

I have not responded to the email. We chose that stateroom as my 85 year old mother LOVES the balcony and loungers and is out there all the time. We are crossing our fingers that no one else has a working set of Sea Pass cards for our room 😱😱😱

• Like 2