What is being done about coronavirus.....

Travelcat2

Yep - I remember when our HR departments had to publicize something but kind of wanted not that many people to be aware of it, they'd do the links way on the bottom in tiny print. After too many partner and staff complaints, most of those 'people consultant' folks found other business interests and the new HR people were way more upfront with news, good or bad.  Oh, and as mentioned - we're global - offices everywhere (well, not Camp McMurdo).

And, yeah, company that wants my business....you spend that much money on mattresses or original art, you can kind of keep business infrastructure up to the highest standards as well.

Edited by greykitty
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, flossie009 said:

............ and still Regent has decided not to make the Coronavirus Advisory available on their UK website 😕

There are often errors and omissions on the UK and European sites.   Don't know why!  I know that for ages on the German site the contact phone number given had no country code - I checked and it was a Frankfurt number.   Person writing that page had not given any thought to the fact that the German language site is read by people in CH and A and those people need the country code to get through!!   That has been fixed...only after I told them about it though!

Personally I think that someone has forgotten to add the caveat or info or whatever to the UK/Europe sites.   Maybe someone who knows Graham Sadler needs to tell him??

6 hours ago, flossie009 said:

The US Government and CDC advice to "reconsider travel" and to "avoid all non-essential travel" to the whole of Italy seems very blunt and non-specific, even though the hotspots of virus cases are presently confined to particular areas in the north.

If my geography is correct then US travellers can travel to Nice (350km from the hotspot) with impunity (CDC level 1; US Gov level 2), but are advised to avoid southern Italy (1000km from the hotspot).

UK Government advice for Italy (as of this morning) remains very precise as "The FCO now advise against all but essential travel to 10 small towns in Lombardy and one in Veneto which have been isolated by the Italian authorities" 

Flossie, 

it is spreading beyond those two regions, though.

Distribution of the 888 cases by region (14 out of 20 Italian regions affected): 531 in Lombardy, 151 in Veneto, 145 in Emilia-Romagna, 19 in Liguria, 11 in Piedmont, 8 in Tuscany, 6 nelle Marche, 4 in Sicily, 4 in Campania, 3 in Lazio, 3 in Puglia, 1 in Abruzzo, 1 in Calabria, and 1 in the Province of Bolzano (Alto Adige).

You could also argue that most China cases are in Hubei province, yet everyone includes all of China in travel restrictions.

@BBWC,

I do not disagree with you.

However my concerns about broad-brush country specific warnings, whether for Italy, China or elsewhere are two-fold:

1. Contagious diseases, such as the covid-19 virus, do not respect borders (particularly open borders as in Europe), so singling out one country for restrictive advice but not the region of another country immediately adjacent a badly affected area may be spurious.

2. Restricting travel to/from the whole of a large country, where only a region is seriously affected, could disproportionally damage that country's economy and create unnecessary panic.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

@BBWC,

I do not disagree with you.

However my concerns about broad-brush country specific warnings, whether for Italy, China or elsewhere are two-fold:

1. Contagious diseases, such as the covid-19 virus, do not respect borders (particularly open borders as in Europe), so singling out one country for restrictive advice but not the region of another country immediately adjacent a badly affected area may be spurious.

2. Restricting travel to/from the whole of a large country, where only a region is seriously affected, could disproportionally damage that country's economy and create unnecessary panic.

And I agree with you on that.

• Thanks 1

For USA to put a Level 3 travel warning on only a single Schengen country makes absolutely no sense.  Can you imagine us putting on restrictions from Italians flying to USA?  All they have to do is fly out of Nice or Zurich or Vienna or anywhere else.  Also, given there is no recording of internal travel data in Schengen countries no way for US to know whether any Schengen resident has been in Italy.

This just opens a can of worms with no real gains.

Marc

PS Still crickets from Regent on cruises to Italy.

1 hour ago, BBWC said:

Flossie, 

it is spreading beyond those two regions, though.

Distribution of the 888 cases by region (14 out of 20 Italian regions affected): 531 in Lombardy, 151 in Veneto, 145 in Emilia-Romagna, 19 in Liguria, 11 in Piedmont, 8 in Tuscany, 6 nelle Marche, 4 in Sicily, 4 in Campania, 3 in Lazio, 3 in Puglia, 1 in Abruzzo, 1 in Calabria, and 1 in the Province of Bolzano (Alto Adige).

You could also argue that most China cases are in Hubei province, yet everyone includes all of China in travel restrictions.

Worryingly when the Geography is imprecisely applied.

Also today in the UK, there is a serious shortage of wipes, hand sanitizers, liquid soap in most shops. Some cleaning fluids are also running out. Panic buying is also happening with supplies of pasta very low (Italian link? )

I know we have had challenging weather with flooding also but I think there has been an over-reaction so far, with fewer deaths than road accidents in the past month! Nobody suggests do not use the roads !!

5 minutes ago, GrJ Berks said:

Worryingly when the Geography is imprecisely applied.

Also today in the UK, there is a serious shortage of wipes, hand sanitizers, liquid soap in most shops. Some cleaning fluids are also running out. Panic buying is also happening with supplies of pasta very low (Italian link? )

I know we have had challenging weather with flooding also but I think there has been an over-reaction so far, with fewer deaths than road accidents in the past month! Nobody suggests do not use the roads !!

There are shortages of the items that you mentioned in the U.S. as well.  In the U.S., the coronavirus "news" is non-stop so there is no wonder there is panic.  The more that it is talked about, the more people over-buy at the stores.  The news only needs to report facts and those reports should be brief.  Perhaps the reporters can provide a link to the most up-to-date information on the virus worldwide rather than babbling on and on and on about something that we/they know so little about.

Panic buying is not new.  Along with panic purchasing, companies are now gouging with ridiculous prices.  A 6-pack of Germ-X is now $100 on one website.  I typically purchase these for about $3-4 each.  This happens whenever a crisis occurs.  For those old enough to remember, during the Cuban Missile Crisis, the store shelves were almost empty.  Not sure what is next ...... people stealing food from each other?  Stranger things have happened.

I watch and read the news. That’s how I get my information regarding Coronavirus. I don't depend on Regent cruise line for this important information. 
We am leaving in two weeks on a Regent cruise. It’s up to us to decide on whether we fly and sail. We know all the facts. 
I have a compromised immune system and took all recommendations from my doctors.
If we cancel, that’s on me. Not Regent.
I am sure that they will make the best decisions for its passengers, going forward. When the world exploded with the virus, they had to play catch-up, as did everyone. 
Moving ahead, I am sure they will attempt to satisfy their passengers because they are in business to continue sailing after the virus is gone. We are their lifeblood. 
If you are unhappy with their service, find another cruise line, which by the way, were also playing catch-up. 
I am sure that you really don’t expect them to shut down their business around the world until this virus is contained. 
Be safe, be well and look forward to future sailings. 
sheila and Herb

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

There are shortages of the items that you mentioned in the U.S. as well.  In the U.S., the coronavirus "news" is non-stop so there is no wonder there is panic.  The more that it is talked about, the more people over-buy at the stores.  The news only needs to report facts and those reports should be brief.  Perhaps the reporters can provide a link to the most up-to-date information on the virus worldwide rather than babbling on and on and on about something that we/they know so little about.

Panic buying is not new.  Along with panic purchasing, companies are now gouging with ridiculous prices.  A 6-pack of Germ-X is now $100 on one website.  I typically purchase these for about $3-4 each.  This happens whenever a crisis occurs.  For those old enough to remember, during the Cuban Missile Crisis, the store shelves were almost empty.  Not sure what is next ...... people stealing food from each other?  Stranger things have happened.

Agree 100%!
sheila

The latest from the US government: There will be travel restrictions on Iran like the ones on China (14 days). While there are warnings not to travel to Italy and South Korea, no travel restrictions to the US from these countries (as Marc correctly pointed out, it would not work anyway from Italy).

A direct link to the NAJM editorial piece for those who prefer not to link through Breitbart.  I respect much of Dr. Fauci's work, but keep an eye on those he reports to, to say the least.   Even since this opinion was printed, we've apparently got community spread in the US, and, of course, our first known fatality.  

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2002387?query=RP

I don't think we know enough to compare it to the flu, or, if we want to do that comparison, harking back to 1918 might be useful as well.

I really do think the travel industry, which is of course taking a huge hit already on this, should step up and, for recreational, nonessential travel, really start offering much more expansive cancellation/rescheduling terms, not only to assist potential travelers, but, for some cruise ship ports in particular, alleviate concerns about adversely affecting what might be an already struggling medical infrastructure.  

Edited by greykitty
  • Like 1

Well, I am in a quandry.  We have a 7 day cruise from LA scheduled March 8.  I am not worried at all as it just goes to Mexico and they are not involved YET.  However, today during his CPAC speech, there was ONE MOMENT where our President referred to closing the Southern Border as well.  I wouldn't mind being stuck in a huge suite, but my husband has serious surgery scheduled for when we return.  I need to get back.

Then there is a huge trip, not until October, but mostly Italy.  All over the country and a cruise as well.  I really wanted to see Venice one time more before I meet Saint Peter, but between this year's tides/floods, cancelling Carnivale, etc., I am afraid they will be seriously compromised.  

Just in a pickle.  I do have insurance for the fall.  I usually don't get insurance, but somehow I did it this time.  Weird.  

Two cases reported in Mexico.  That's the thing - while I really feel that the corona virus will be, or is already, pandemic, I don't think it's going to be the zombie apocalypse either for most folks.  That said, until more is known, I really think it's risky to risk either contracting the disease away from home (and let's face, most folks on a cruise line, especially at a level like Regent's, are squarely in the higher risk group), or, more likely get caught with travel restrictions/limitations while on the trip.  

I've been in quarantine (for mumps as an adult a few years back).  So much nicer to be at home, with access to my usual medical providers.  

And, IMO, we simply don't know enough about this particular virus and its development to use apples to apples comparison to influenza

44 minutes ago, greykitty said:

A direct link to the NAJM editorial piece for those who prefer not to link through Breitbart.  I respect much of Dr. Fauci's work, but keep an eye on those he reports to, to say the least.   Even since this opinion was printed, we've apparently got community spread in the US, and, of course, our first known fatality.  

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2002387?query=RP

I don't think we know enough to compare it to the flu, or, if we want to do that comparison, harking back to 1918 might be useful as well.

I really do think the travel industry, which is of course taking a huge hit already on this, should step up and, for recreational, nonessential travel, really start offering much more expansive cancellation/rescheduling terms, not only to assist potential travelers, but, for some cruise ship ports in particular, alleviate concerns about adversely affecting what might be an already struggling medical infrastructure.  

Perhaps if you saw a link from CNN you’d be happy — except CNN would never link this story.  You’ve gotta search for balance these days.

—Retired curmudgeon journalist disgusted with the decline of his profession.  Covered NEJM as a news reporter before fake news. 

• Like 1

1918 had war-time governments, ah, fibbing about the flu, to keep morale up.  That's how it got the name Spanish influenza, although, of course, it was a deadly, global epidemic.  

Close contact within the military, and the military's use of then modern transportation systems allowed the disease to be spread, well, just so easily.   Yep, we have a better medical infrastructure now, but there are serious concerns about still being overwhelmed.  That's why I'm a believer that it's risky at best, downright dangerous at most, for the general population to take easily avoided risks in confined conditions.

Wow - so many varying opinions.  I understand that this thread (and other related ones) likely will not change anyone’s mind.  

All that I know as a fact is that our March 14th Splendor cruise is still fully booked.  And, we have no plans to change any of our plans.  

What works for one person obviously does not work for another.  The only thing that I personally find disturbing is the panic.  It is causing a lot of problems in many countries (buying out needed supplies, food, etc.). in my opinion, this is more dangerous than traveling as once you get home, there may not be any preventative items left to purchase.

Agree that what happened over 100 years ago has no relationship to now.  The closest one can come to a dangerous situation was the H1N1 virus in 2009 (and the wipes that I use kill that virus in one minute!

P.S.  As mentioned previously, both my husband and I are high risk and one other passenger that we know is at an even higher risk of dying if we get Coronavirus.  We are still happily going on our cruise.  Whatever is meant to happen will happen.  

Edited by Travelcat2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1