What is being done about coronavirus.....

Travelcat2

I need to walk away from this topic for a while as it is beginning to affect me (how can it not when there are so many different opinions, people not being caring about each other and posting every little thing that happens (whether it is true or not)  I am just as guilty as everyone else and this is not someone that I want to be. Unfortunately, it is discussions such as we are having that is creating more panic and more food/supply hoarding.  This is truly not helping anyone.

If I have something that is truly helpful, I will post,  Otherwise, you will hear from me on the joint-blog from Splendor.  I do find it interesting that people currently on cruises seem oblivious to all of this.  Although sticking your head in the sand is not necessarily helpful, that is what I need right now.  Everything at home is prepared so I can leave without worrying too much.  

As I have said before, try to be kind and supportive of one another.  Understand that we live in different states/countries and the news we are seeing/hearing is not necessarily the same (and not necessarily true).  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

I need to walk away from this topic for a while as it is beginning to affect me (how can it not when there are so many different opinions, people not being caring about each other and posting every little thing that happens (whether it is true or not)  I am just as guilty as everyone else and this is not someone that I want to be. Unfortunately, it is discussions such as we are having that is creating more panic and more food/supply hoarding.  This is truly not helping anyone.

this is true, it is time to really wait and see. Some people might be coming to their last payment and having to make a decision, this might be harder. For others - like us - as there is nothing else can be done, we will wait . And try not to read too much! (it is hard - it is everywhere - news, social media, forums1)

9 hours ago, sierrafloridacruiser said:

I really don’t see how the 1918 Pandemic is a useful comparison. Our medical capabilities are vastly different and vastly feels like an understatement. We didn’t even have penicillin then. 

But one has also to balance this with the new ease of travel and movement that easily spreads illness across the globe.

Preparedness is not panic and the two should not be confused. It doesn’t make sense to wait until your community is a hot spot for the virus to stock up on effective hand sanitizers or proper face masks .... or to stop shaking hands. While I am a healthy adult in my early 60s, my 90 year old mother in law has compromised lung function and my daughter is in the early stage of a high risk pregnancy. So yes, we cancelled our May cruise and have stocked up on the afore mentioned items. We all have two decisions to make on each purchase or plan we make ... should we buy it and then should we do it ... and that’s ok! Besides, I’m hard pressed to wrap my head around the jabs about panicking when we are literally on the verge of a global pandemic and each day we learn that what we thought yesterday was wrong. Please let’s be respectful of each other and please wash your hands frequently!

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

If I have something that is truly helpful, I will post,  Otherwise, you will hear from me on the joint-blog from Splendor.  I do find it interesting that people currently on cruises seem oblivious to all of this.  Although sticking your head in the sand is not necessarily helpful, that is what I need right now.  Everything at home is prepared so I can leave without worrying too much.  

As I have said before, try to be kind and supportive of one another.  Understand that we live in different states/countries and the news we are seeing/hearing is not necessarily the same (and not necessarily true).  

Well said! See you soon. Safe travels. 
sheila

3 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Well said! See you soon. Safe travels. 
sheila

I agree with the both of you.  But TC2, keep those wipes out and keep the ship clean as we board after you get off.  Happy sailing.

• Thanks 1

During the past two days there have been interesting comments [TV and print] from our Surgeon General, WHO and CDC exhorting unaffected persons to not purchase masks as they do not prevent contacting the virus. The second admonition to all is to stop purchasing the masks so that supplies remain available to medical personnel who must wear them in the course of treating the ill. 

9 minutes ago, PaulaJK said:

During the past two days there have been interesting comments [TV and print] from our Surgeon General, WHO and CDC exhorting unaffected persons to not purchase masks as they do not prevent contacting the virus. The second admonition to all is to stop purchasing the masks so that supplies remain available to medical personnel who must wear them in the course of treating the ill. 

The problem that I have with these reports is that they claim that they do not prevent contracting the virus.  If this is true, why do medical professionals need useless masks to treat patients?

The reason that we have the approved masks is for when we sail during the winter.  We have become sick several times after being near people coughing and sneezing on buses, in airports and planes.  So, we began using wipes in airplanes about 4 years ago and the masks (although we have not used them yet) are always with us on trips.  It is difficult to not touch your nose, or mouth and the masks will help prevent that (along with 3M protective glasses that insure that you don't touch your eyes.). And, since I believe that they prevent at least some of the virus, I will continue use them.

18 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

If this is true, why do medical professionals need useless masks to treat patients?

The mask is worn by the medic primarily to protect the patient not to protect the medic.

The medic is trained how to wear & dispose of the mask properly and will ensure that the mask is changed frequently before it becomes ineffective.

If the general public carry on buying (& stockpiling) masks then it will put unnecessary pressure on supplies.

Edited by flossie009
  • Like 5

Agree. 

21 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

The mask is worn by the medic primarily to protect the patient not to protect the medic.

The medic is trained how to wear & dispose of the mask properly and will ensure that the mask is changed frequently before it becomes ineffective.

If the general public carry on buying (& stockpiling) masks then it will put unnecessary pressure on supplies.

Agree. I'm an RN. The mask is worn by medical professionals to avoid transmitting any germs they may have to the patient.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Flgreg said:

Agree. 

Agree. I'm an RN. The mask is worn by medical professionals to avoid transmitting any germs they may have to the patient.

Thank you!  I have asked this question on CC (in at least two places) and on a local board for our city with no response.  One more question....... since many patients are being home quarantined, wouldn't those patients need masks?  And, what about their caretakers .... assume that, without the mask, they could pass on whatever they have to the person with coronavirus (okay - admit that I snuck in an extra question).

On 2/25/2020 at 7:40 PM, Travelcat2 said:

When norovirus was going around the Mariner, I did research and found a peroxide based product from 3M .  It was being used in hospitals and killed the norovirus.  I just received a new supply by Clorox  last week and interestingly, I did not see that it kills Norovirus.  But, even more surprising is that it mentions “Human Coronavirus”.

The product is “Clorox Hydrogen Peroxide Cleaner, Disinfectant Wipes”

It kills so many virus’s and and bacteria that I can only list a few (along with the time it takes to work)

BACTERIA - 30 SECOND CONTACT TIME

Salmonella

Penicillin-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae (not a typo)

BACTERIA - 1 MINUTE CONTACT TIME

CA-MRSA and other Streptococcus not listed above

VIRUSES -30 SECOND CONTACT TIME

Bovine Viral Diarrhea (surrogate or Hepatitis C Virus)

Duck Hepatitis B

Herpes Simplex Type 1 and 2

HUMAN CORONAVIRUS

Influenza A Virus (2009 H1N1)

Influenza B Virus

Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV)

VIRUSES - 1 MINUTE CONTACT TIME

Avian Influenza A (H5N1)

Rhinovirus (type 37)

Rotavirus

There are many more that I did not list as the package is difficult to read and impossible to photograph.

Hope that this helps.

13-5100-caviwipes1-canister_med_lab_supply_1_6.jpg

31 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Thank you!  I have asked this question on CC (in at least two places) and on a local board for our city with no response.  One more question....... since many patients are being home quarantined, wouldn't those patients need masks?  And, what about their caretakers .... assume that, without the mask, they could pass on whatever they have to the person with coronavirus (okay - admit that I snuck in an extra question).

It would be a good idea for masks to be worn by patients and caregivers in a home quarantine situation but this virus is so contagious I`m not certain it would be very effective. 

Always best to follow the primary physician's recommendations.

Lockdown, Alone at home in a mask?....or w caretakers who have been sharing your

quarters for days?.....we are all learning as we go along here....but did you watch or read the communiques of the surgeon general, WHO and CDC officers? I am trying to learn from them and lean on them so to avoid media commentators who seem to inspire panic. Just me...doesn’t need to be anybody else’s view. 
incidentally, Psqoue (? sp) posted an erudite, concise overview.

• Like 2

Surgical masks are to protect the patient. However N95 masks ( that have been around for over 20 years) are to protect the medical staff. They are also used in certain trades and, for that reason, can be bought in some hardware stores. All healthcare workers must be fitted and tested annually with a special hood. Beards are prohibited for those requiring N95 masks. These masks are very thick and breathing takes a real effort. These are the masks the Surgeon General has asked the public not to purchase. As am former NP (and infection control nurse) I always get a kick out of people walking around in public with surgical masks on. They provide little protection to the wearer. If you are that concerned about becoming infected the best policy is to wash your hands and avoid crowds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Here's an interesting site talking about what wipes/sprays may help with COVID-19.  Please note, as mentioned previously on these boards, the Coronavirus some products list IS NOT COVID-19.  I've included the link on the bottom so people can read and evaluate on their own.  They have a nice table of various products and which may be more effective than others, and why.  This is a new virus - we're discovering more info every hour.

From the site, though - a warning about just looking at bottles and seeing the word coronavirus

Generally speaking, most Human Coronavirus strains are part of our everyday lives, mild, and present humans with nothing more than a chest cold or congestion. 

Many incorrectly assume that a product labeled: “kills human coronavirus” means it will be strong enough to kill a deadly, emerging strain like Covid-19. 

What to Look for Instead…

https://whatkillsit.com/virus/what-kills-coronavirus/

Edited by greykitty

2 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

One more question....... since many patients are being home quarantined, wouldn't those patients need masks?  And, what about their caretakers ...

I don't think that the people at home need masks and they don't need caretakers either. Some have no symptoms, some have mild symptoms. If they become really sick, they need to be taken to the isolation rooms of a hospital. At home, food can be delivered, that is no problem nowadays.

2 minutes ago, Floridiana said:

I don't think that the people at home need masks and they don't need caretakers either. Some have no symptoms, some have mild symptoms. If they become really sick, they need to be taken to the isolation rooms of a hospital. At home, food can be delivered, that is no problem nowadays.

That’s always assuming there is an isolation room available at the hospital. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

I do find it interesting that people currently on cruises seem oblivious to all of this.

It may seem that way, but believe me, I think most of us are very much aware of the situation as it has had a major impact on our itineraries and port procedures.  

I'm currently on the Mariner on the 2020 World Cruise.  We had to skip both Samoas due to their respective government decisions to deny us docking, and our entire southeast Asia itinerary segment was eliminated resulting instead in a southern/southwestern Australia itinerary substitute.  Add to this the fact that I'm from WA state which has been in the news over the past couple of days and I'd say I'm concerned -- not panicked, certainly, but concerned.  We went through additional scrutiny on arrival in Sydney for a health check.  I've been down since Feb 23 with a stubborn upper respiratory bug which has morphed into what appears to be strep throat (I'm on meds and recovering nicely).  Having COPD has not helped.  So I, along with several others who had upper respiratory symptoms, had to be cleared specifically by Australia authorities in order to be released from isolation to go through the face-to-face immigration check a couple of days ago.  In addition to impacting the entire ship - guests and crew -- It has impacted several of us personally.

I trust Regent to make the appropriate decisions taking into account information from reliable sources.  I'm satisfied with the medical care available on the ship and their ability to cope and make decisions as needed to deal with this.  For news, I'm focusing on local WA state health professionals plus those other government agencies who have retained some level of independence to speak truthfully about the current situation.  We have access onboard to these sources, and I'm taking advantage of that.  I think most of the people I know on this cruise are doing the same.  

Lana (from Bellingham, WA -- currently in Sydney, Australia, leaving this afternoon heading to Burnie, Tasmania)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

The problem that I have with these reports is that they claim that they do not prevent contracting the virus.  If this is true, why do medical professionals need useless masks to treat patients?

The reason that we have the approved masks is for when we sail during the winter.  We have become sick several times after being near people coughing and sneezing on buses, in airports and planes.  So, we began using wipes in airplanes about 4 years ago and the masks (although we have not used them yet) are always with us on trips.  It is difficult to not touch your nose, or mouth and the masks will help prevent that (along with 3M protective glasses that insure that you don't touch your eyes.). And, since I believe that they prevent at least some of the virus, I will continue use them.

Here is a wonderful and very scientific article about masks.  The charts from the testing are very useful.  It has been very helpful for me to calm my worries as we always have a few N95s around the house for construction projects.

https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/coronavirus-pollution-masks-n95-surgical-mask/

14 hours ago, ArtsyCraftsy said:

Lana (from Bellingham, WA -- currently in Sydney, Australia, leaving this afternoon heading to Burnie, Tasmania)

Hello Lana - I have been following your trip with interest and I'm mindful that you've been coping very well and keeping a positive attitude, despite some of the itinerary changes and your own health issues that you've been dealing with.  Good for you!  The itinerary change that is now taking you "clockwise" around South Australia and up the west coast is actually very "lucky" for you.  You will be seeing parts of that huge country that most travelers to "Oz" unfortunately, most often miss.

When you arrive in Albany, you'll be seeing a "special" little city were my mother and her many siblings (my Aunts & Uncles & cousins) were born.  The beaches, ocean, and surrounding countryside of Albany are stunning.  If Regent provides you with an excursion choice that offers you a small group motor coach ride around the entire area, you might consider that....particularly if it includes a drive up to the top of Mount Clarence for a stop.  You will get the most beautiful views of the Southern and Indian Oceans, along with 50-mile views of beautiful stretches of desolate white sandy beaches.  You'll also have a nice unobstructed view of the entire city of Albany, King George Sound, Emu Point, Middleton Beach, and the entire harbor below.

At the top of Mount Clarence you will also be able to visit the ANZAC War Memorial - a tribute to the Australian and New Zealand soldiers who sailed from Albany (for most, their last view of "home") in a convoy destined for huge casualties during  WWI).  There is also a memorial on the mountain to the US Navy Sailors of WWII (including my Dad) who reached "safety" in Albany after being the last sailors to escape the Philippines at the start of the war.  They later moved north to Fremantle (where you might also be stopping), once a proper military (submarine) base was established there.

Hope you continue to have a great trip.  Wish I was sailing with you! Best Regards

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Best thing I've read lately about the use of masks.  Most important take-away, "...masks are designed to keep droplets in, not keep them out."  So they are designed to keep the wearer from infecting others:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tarahaelle/2020/02/29/no-you-do-not-need-face-masks-for-coronavirus-they-might-increase-your-infection-risk/#ec0897f676ca

• Like 2

I have a few types of masks but most often use the one that is like the Vogmask show. It is rated at N99 with replaceable filters. Buying it doesn't impact the medical community and it works well according to the tests.