What is being done about coronavirus.....

Travelcat2

30 minutes ago, Caroldoll said:

What would be your preferred sanitary wipe?

Anything which either contains alcohol or non-alcohol medical disinfectants. I attach an example - this particular one comes from medical supplies however pharmacies would be able to offer an over-the-counter alternative.

IMG_1207.jpg

When norovirus was going around the Mariner, I did research and found a peroxide based product from 3M .  It was being used in hospitals and killed the norovirus.  I just received a new supply by Clorox  last week and interestingly, I did not see that it kills Norovirus.  But, even more surprising is that it mentions “Human Coronavirus”.

The product is “Clorox Hydrogen Peroxide Cleaner, Disinfectant Wipes”

It kills so many virus’s and and bacteria that I can only list a few (along with the time it takes to work)

BACTERIA - 30 SECOND CONTACT TIME

Salmonella

Penicillin-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae (not a typo)

BACTERIA - 1 MINUTE CONTACT TIME

CA-MRSA and other Streptococcus not listed above

VIRUSES -30 SECOND CONTACT TIME

Bovine Viral Diarrhea (surrogate or Hepatitis C Virus)

Duck Hepatitis B

Herpes Simplex Type 1 and 2

HUMAN CORONAVIRUS

Influenza A Virus (2009 H1N1)

Influenza B Virus

Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV)

VIRUSES - 1 MINUTE CONTACT TIME

Avian Influenza A (H5N1)

Rhinovirus (type 37)

Rotavirus

There are many more that I did not list as the package is difficult to read and impossible to photograph.

Hope that this helps.

Edited by Travelcat2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The current virus, novel Coronavirus or Covid19, is not the same as the viral strains mentioned on the Clorox product, just in case anyone thought that there was a “cure”. 

No doubt the Clorox product is a good anti-bacterial product but it is not that good, yet.

• Like 2

There were several really informative articles in the Tages Anzeiger (Zürich paper) today.  Switzerland announced its first case of Corona virus yesterday (in the canton Ticino, which borders on Italy).   Here is a link to one about how to wash your hands.  I have to admit I learnt a lot from it!  Imbedded in the article is a WHO video showing step by step what to do AND then saying do not touch the tap afterwards (use paper towel to close it) and open doors etc with the elbow.

https://interaktiv.tagesanzeiger.ch/2020/richtig-haendewaschen/?nosome

12 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Good to hear!  Having people board any ship right now - in any area of the world has risks.  Our concerns are actually more about airlines than cruise ships.  They do not thoroughly clean areas around the seats after each flight and I don't want to think about the bathrooms.  I'll just make sure that I have use a sanitizing wipe to open the door (might use a glove since I just read that people stuff diapers in the trash bin in bathroom ........yuck!)

Be safe and enjoy your cruise.

Handles and surfaces of all kinds that are touched by hands (elevator buttons, salt shakers, chair backs) hold the greatest concentration of germs. A disposable paper towel is preferred over a glove because of the ease of disposable and the lower likelihood of cross contamination. Diapers might be yucky but they have nothing to do with Coronavirus.

26 minutes ago, kjbacon said:

Handles and surfaces of all kinds that are touched by hands (elevator buttons, salt shakers, chair backs) hold the greatest concentration of germs. A disposable paper towel is preferred over a glove because of the ease of disposable and the lower likelihood of cross contamination. Diapers might be yucky but they have nothing to do with Coronavirus.

Handles and surfaces are where to use the wipes.  Opening the door - since you are going to thoroughly wash your hands anyway after using the loo I doubt you need to worry but I DO worry about opening the door to leave the loo and then closing it.  For that I would like to  use a wipe...   but then where do I put it ??  Certainly not in my hand bag!

4 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

Handles and surfaces are where to use the wipes.  Opening the door - since you are going to thoroughly wash your hands anyway after using the loo I doubt you need to worry but I DO worry about opening the door to leave the loo and then closing it.  For that I would like to  use a wipe...   but then where do I put it ??  Certainly not in my hand bag!

Yes, of course, you are right about the wipes but the paper towel that you dry your hands with can be a good sub. If you are positively certain that you will not touch your face or handbag etc after opening the door to enter, you could wait until you are done your business to use that precaution on the door handle. In my line of work, I had to be extra careful and I guess that stuck with me into retirement! And no, right again, do not put that wipe/towel in your handbag ... turn it into itself and throw it out ... without touching the trash bin surface. Sometimes, you have to use an elbow for that.

Spoke to my TA,,when cancelling and she said she "heard",,,,NOT SURE.That Regent was going to take Voyager into drydock early. Perhaps its due to sail in Asia??

Maybe this is what you heard about a ship?

Not meaning to start a rumour,,,just passing along what I heard.

Also,said she was to be on Splendor in March to Bahamas,,or near islands. So that seems to be going alright,,,but reading about Jamaica above..one never knows.

Then saw on news Canary Islands has it and people stuck in hotel there. Great,,,thats just where I changed my tickets too for Oct.....

To answer about if in FL,,,yes,,,would try to just stay home.As much as possible,,,I m older now and not as brave.Also,watch my GGS and would HATE to accidently pass to him.Not sure if the poster was being sincere in asking or subtle put down.Oh well.

If it was just me,,,I probablly would have braved the June cruise,,,that i cancelled.But DH said NO,,,so no choice.

Really pray this thing can be stopped and not become the pandemic,,,they keep mentioning.

All of you that are still going,try to have a good time and we all here ,I m sure,,are hoping you stay safe.

Feel sorry for all the workers affected by this.My TA said she was busy cancelling cruises ALL day,,,and United helper said similar.

4 hours ago, Emdee said:

I ask the stewardess to show me where the trash is and throw the wipe I use when exiting the washroom there. It is usually open.

Good idea - thanks!  

In terms of the wipes, it is not known what kills this version of Coronavirus.  The wipes, mask, etc. are just preventative measures.  Remember that the flu is still in high gear and the wipes will likely kill those germs.  

As I mentioned pages back, I did purchase biohazard bags.  They are very thin but are a good place to throw out used Kleenex, masks and wipes (when there is nowhere else to put them ...... like on a bus).  These are not bulky to pack (will lie flat at the bottom of your suitcase).  

Last night I read that Oceania has cancelled Asia cruises through June.  

Just read that re our cruise from Tahiti that anyone who has been through Asia since January 1st this year will have to have a medical certificate of good health to be allowed to board the Navigator. We have not been out the UK this year and fortunately going to the ship via LA from London and in good health, but this will affect some of the passengers.

You wonder what the % of the capacity will be on the ships in the next few weeks?

Covid-19 case in Sao Paulo

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2020/02/26/Brazil-others-confirm-first-COVID-19-infections-as-deaths-decline-in-China/1671582707239/

I believe I read on the RCL board that they're adding additional medical personnel onto their ships, as well as additional cleanings.  Cleanings I'm fine with - got to admit, not knowing what sort of medical staff they're talking about, wondering if it'd be better use of resources for any staff available to be assigned to land-based needs as opposed to cruise ships in general.  Hopefully they can move the medical personnel quickly if/when cruises are cancelled.

1 hour ago, GrJ Berkshire said:

Just read that re our cruise from Tahiti that anyone who has been through Asia since January 1st this year will have to have a medical certificate of good health to be allowed to board the Navigator. We have not been out the UK this year and fortunately going to the ship via LA from London and in good health, but this will affect some of the passengers.

You wonder what the % of the capacity will be on the ships in the next few weeks?

Good to hear that a medical certificate of good health will get you onboard a Regent ship because looking at your passport could be misleading.  For instance, I received my new passport this week so it appears that we have not been anywhere.  I will have my cancelled passport with me when I board Splendor - just in case they would like to see where we have been this year.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BBWC said:

Just to clarify that the medical certificate is required by French Polynesia, not Regent. You will not even be allowed to board a plane to Tahiti if you do not have it.

😞 really makes one think why cruise companies don't adopt a similar policy for a time being. Inconvenience - yes, but what a peace of mind! 

Maybe I shouldn't be reading this board as it is adding to my anxiety!  We are 3 groups on the 5/4 Lisbon - London cruise, including my 86 year old mother.  Noone is talking about this part of Europe/Great Britan.  We chose to 'self-insure' and just use the Chase Sapphire Insurance.  Regent is overwhelmed, I get that, but their information is at least a week old.

Anyone else concerned?  I don't want to travel if I have to become a germ-ophobe...something I am not now and never have been.  I don't want to wipe down EVERYTHING I may touch from the minute I leave my house to the minute I get back.

I'm new to Regent, and have only taken 2 cruises years ago. 

Do we just wait it out and see what happens or what????????????  Thanks in advance for listening to my concerns

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, lesliebe said:

Maybe I shouldn't be reading this board as it is adding to my anxiety!  We are 3 groups on the 5/4 Lisbon - London cruise, including my 86 year old mother.  Noone is talking about this part of Europe/Great Britan.  We chose to 'self-insure' and just use the Chase Sapphire Insurance.  Regent is overwhelmed, I get that, but their information is at least a week old.

Anyone else concerned?  I don't want to travel if I have to become a germ-ophobe...something I am not now and never have been.  I don't want to wipe down EVERYTHING I may touch from the minute I leave my house to the minute I get back.

I'm new to Regent, and have only taken 2 cruises years ago. 

Do we just wait it out and see what happens or what????????????  Thanks in advance for listening to my concerns

I understand what you say that reading these and other boards can add to your anxiety, I'm about to take a sabbatical as I think the situation is getting close to a collective hysteria . I doubt anybody here is better equipped than you to decide what's best for you and your family in terms of safety. You say your 86 mom is in the group, that would certainly give me pause . Have you already made final payment? If not maybe you should consider canceling

I feel your pain.  We leave in early May for Venice to Athens.  We have no intention of cancelling unless regent cancels.  Things may change significantly in the next two months, but until it does we are staying strong.  So, Carpe  Regent!

• Like 1

OK, I am just going to post this here. A couple of days ago I've complained here on CC about RSSC not updating information on their website and one respected member noted that they might not have human resources to do so (I cannot agree with this sentiment though). Anyway, below is current (like very current) updated from another cruise provider. My questions : if RSSC follows the same protocol (e.g. adding other countries, further screening) - why this is not communicated to passengers? even if your cruise is not until a few weeks later, people may still planning to go affected areas. If RSSC is not following the same protocol, then the question is even bigger WHY?

166929666_Xupdate.thumb.JPG.99bbb7c17aa7ecc9c8cb37ee6cd7cf29.JPG

Edited by Kiwifromkiev

40 minutes ago, cruiseluv said:

I understand what you say that reading these and other boards can add to your anxiety, I'm about to take a sabbatical as I think the situation is getting close to a collective hysteria . I doubt anybody here is better equipped than you to decide what's best for you and your family in terms of safety. You say your 86 mom is in the group, that would certainly give me pause . Have you already made final payment? If not maybe you should consider canceling

Yes, final payment was due February 4th, before this got crazy