What is being done about coronavirus.....

Travelcat2

48 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

A very expensive option, and one that usually must be purchased when you book.

Yes, it costs more. and yes, it covers backing out of a trip for any reason. Not every company requires that you buy it when you book and it can cover up to 75%.

I am not trying to sell it...just pointing out that for some people it is a viable option.

I would suggest shopping around for different quotes on travel insurance. They are not all the same.

And like any insurance, they all seem very very expensive until you need it and don't have it.

30 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Yes, it costs more. and yes, it covers backing out of a trip for any reason. Not every company requires that you buy it when you book and it can cover up to 75%.

I am not trying to sell it...just pointing out that for some people it is a viable option.

I would suggest shopping around for different quotes on travel insurance. They are not all the same.

And like any insurance, they all seem very very expensive until you need it and don't have it.

Too true.  Try finding coverage for the cost of a world cruise--can be quite tough.  For me as a Canadian, almost impossible.  Any kind of cancellation insurance.

There was a news article that travel insurance purchased after a date

in late January would no longer cover Coronavirus, apparently in line w it having been labeled a health crisis. ..so check carefully before committing.

Indeed, insurance coverage is very expensive, more so if it includes cancelations.

44 minutes ago, Shippy said:

Our cruise is next week. Although we are only going out of Miami....

I have heard that they now take your temperature before you board an airplane AND before they let you board the ship !

Anyone know if this is so ??

I tried to find the answer but couldn't (did find where ships are required to take your temperature before boarding for the first time).  I did see recommendations of how not to get sick on airplanes.  Of course, they include wiping down food trays and areas around you as well as wearing a mask if anyone around you (within 2 rows) is coughing or sounding as if they may be sick.

An fact came out this past week about the area in the bathroom where you put your used hand-towels after drying your hands.  Apparently they are suppose to be an area in the bathroom with the most germs.  Some people shove diapers into those "slots" (yuck).  So, after washing my hands, I may use a sanitized wipe or put on a glove to dispose of the used towelette and to open the door.  Somehow I will need to get the glove off the dispose of it.   

Somehow I will figure this out before we leave for our cruise 3 weeks from today!

1 hour ago, Shippy said:

Our cruise is next week. Although we are only going out of Miami....

I have heard that they now take your temperature before you board an airplane AND before they let you board the ship !

Anyone know if this is so ??

I flew Thursday afternoon from Colorado to Texas...no temperature taking then. 

As far as I’m concerned, I hope they are checking everyone’s temp before boarding and hope they make this standard procedure. If you are sick, be it Coronavirus, flu, strep, or anything else that can be spread to other guests, you should not be allowed to board.

4 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

I tried to find the answer but couldn't (did find where ships are required to take your temperature before boarding for the first time).  I did see recommendations of how not to get sick on airplanes.  Of course, they include wiping down food trays and areas around you as well as wearing a mask if anyone around you (within 2 rows) is coughing or sounding as if they may be sick.

An fact came out this past week about the area in the bathroom where you put your used hand-towels after drying your hands.  Apparently they are suppose to be an area in the bathroom with the most germs.  Some people shove diapers into those "slots" (yuck).  So, after washing my hands, I may use a sanitized wipe or put on a glove to dispose of the used towelette and to open the door.  Somehow I will need to get the glove off the dispose of it.   

Somehow I will figure this out before we leave for our cruise 3 weeks from today!

How about a hazmat suit?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

"Follow CDC’s recommendations for using a facemask.

• CDC does not recommend that people who are well wear a facemask to protect themselves from respiratory diseases, including COVID-19.
  • Facemasks should be used by people who show symptoms of COVID-19 to help prevent the spread of the disease to  others. The use of facemasks is also crucial for health workers and people who are taking care of someone in close settings (at home or in a health care facility)."

If you look around the bathroom doors in the public areas you will see a button for handicap entry.  Just wave you hand in front of it.  Voila, the door opens.  Exiting works the same way.  No need to touch anything.  The handicap stall has the same system.

20 hours ago, Pcardad said:

I have looked at travel ins. sites and can NOT find one that doesn thave to be purchased NEar booking date.Some 7 to 21 days.

So not good for those of us that need to get ins. right before final payment.

If you know of one,,can you let us know.

Would pay extra for peace of mind,right now.

Must make final decsion by March 2 for this.

Edited by alexandra cruiser

6 minutes ago, alexandra cruiser said:

I have looked at travel ins. sites and can NOT find one that doesn thave to be purchased NEar booking date.Some 7 to 21 days.

Dont believe there are any insurance plans for either or both pre-existing conditions and cancel for any reason you can buy after the 7-21 days post initial payment.

And, if you think the current prices are high for the cancel for any reason, if there were what you want that you could wait for close to final payment, their prices would be astronomical.  The morxe coverage you want and the less time until you travel drive up the risk to the insurance company and thus the cost significantly.  Good luck buty, sincerely doubt you will find anything at this late date.

And the reports about no coverage because of coronavirus at this point, your chances unfortunately are slim to none and slim left the building quite awhile ago.  Sorry to report this but, it is what it is.

I always take the risk and self insure our trips but for the first time ever I purchased "real" cancellation coverage after I booked. Purchased it Jan 27 for our Apr 3 trip and there were no exclusions for Covid19. If our itinerary gets changed I'm fine with that (although it's trans-Atlantic, you can only change it so many ways LOL)

Edited by slidebite

49 minutes ago, alexandra cruiser said:

Check into CSA. You can get pre-existing condition coverage as long as you purchase before final payment. But not cancel for any reason: you're right that they all want purchase at or near booking date.

Edited by wishIweretravelling

It was mentioned in the press that Regent was cancelling somewhere between 7-10 cruises in the AP region. Where are those ships going and might there be some last minute cruises on those ships in another location? I can’t find anything on that. 

9 minutes ago, forgap said:

And now northern Italy has a spike in corvid-19 cases.  Carnevale is cancelled and we leave from Venice in 2.5 months!

Do you know the population of the area of Northern Italy where this has occurred?  It is possible that, as the weather warms in Italy, the virus will begin to subside.  Just wondering the percentage of the population that this has affected.

4 hours ago, alexandra cruiser said:

alexandra cruiser, here is a link to updated information about travel insurance and coronavirus.

https://tripinsurancestore.com/travel-insurance-epidemic-coverage/

This may be a violation of CC policy, and if so, I invite the host to delete this post.  However, the company that I am referencing  has sponsored q and a sessions on CC in the past, so I think it is probably ok.

The article that I referenced is from TripInsuranceStore.com.  They work with many different companies and tailor their recommendations to what they feel will best suit the travelers needs.  If you call them and ask what all of your options are, and ask questions, you are likely to get better info than anyone in this forum can provide.

Bob

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, boblerm said:

alexandra cruiser, here is a link to updated information about travel insurance and coronavirus.

https://tripinsurancestore.com/travel-insurance-epidemic-coverage/

This may be a violation of CC policy, and if so, I invite the host to delete this post.  However, the company that I am referencing  has sponsored q and a sessions on CC in the past, so I think it is probably ok.

The article that I referenced is from TripInsuranceStore.com.  They work with many different companies and tailor their recommendations to what they feel will best suit the travelers needs.  If you call them and ask what all of your options are, and ask questions, you are likely to get better info than anyone in this forum can provide.

Bob

Very good information.  Thank you for posting!

• Like 1