Luggage cruise tags

ToyFoxFan

We are flying in to Miami day of cruise with Princess EZair. 1st flight ever. Do we attach our cruise tags when we initially boar or wait till we get to Miami. We are also using Princess transfer. Any tips or advice is appreciated. Feeling a little apprehensive. Our flight arrives in Miami at 9:30 am

They’re not designed to hold up the baggage handling of airlines. Attached them after arriving at arrival airlport. We’ve purchased (online) plastic sleeves, that look kind of like luggage tags, that they slip into. Very convenient. It you don’t have those, pack a small stapler into your carry-on.

• Like 1

You'll find the cruise luggage tags to be of a quite temporary nature.

Think about it, you can print them out on your home printer.  So you're actually attaching regular printing paper to a piece of luggage versus say a tyvek like material that most airlines use for example.

We've put them on ourselves and by the time we've gotten to port the ink is rubbing off and it's been wrinkled and worn to the point of falling off.

Edited by MotownVoice

OK, I’ll be the contrarian.  When flying in the Day Of the cruise it is better to have the tags attached before you fly.  And in that case,  the plastic sleeve or packing tape does make them sturdier.  This way your bags are more easily identified by Princess personnel in case there is an airline delay and Princess has to forward your bags.  Print extra tags just in case they do get mangled by the airlines.

If flying in early to the port city, just attach them in the morning before you head to the port.  Tape, zip tie, sleeve or hotel front desk stapler all work.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ToyFoxFan said:

We are flying in to Miami day of cruise with Princess EZair. 1st flight ever. Do we attach our cruise tags when we initially boar or wait till we get to Miami. We are also using Princess transfer. Any tips or advice is appreciated. Feeling a little apprehensive. Our flight arrives in Miami at 9:30 am

Wait until you retrieve your luggage off the carousel in Miami. Since you have a Princess transfer just have your luggage tags handy and there will be “ Princess reps” somewhere in the baggage claim area ( they will have a sign)and they will assist you with securing your baggage tags. They have tape and Or a stapler.

Since it’s your first flight ever ,pack your patience and allow plenty of time. Your 9:30 am  arrival flight is great. I am assuming Miami transfer to FT. Lauderdale/ Port Everglades.

Enjoy.

Julie

Edited by arizonaperson
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, arizonaperson said:

Wait until you retrieve your luggage off the carousel in Miami. Since you have a Princess transfer just have your luggage tags handy and there will be “ Princess reps” somewhere in the baggage claim area ( they will have a sign)and they will assist you with securing your baggage tags. They have tape and Or a stapler.

Since it’s your first flight ever ,pack your patience and allow plenty of time. Your 9:30 am  arrival flight is great. I am assuming Miami transfer to FT. Lauderdale/ Port Everglades.

Enjoy.

Julie

Thank you

5 hours ago, ToyFoxFan said:

If we fly in a day or more early we wait and put them on boarding day.

If we fly in the day of we always put them on before our flight departs in case the get lost.

(Especially since you are going to Miami and have a Princess transfer. This helps them identify your luggage on the carousel if need be by the Princess reps there in bag claim).

If one of your bags is delayed arriving in MIA then you will most likely be told to go on to the ship and the reps will take care of forwarding it to the ship once it arrives.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WisCruiser2 said:

We always use clear packing tape. Put a strip around the entire tag (lengthwise), then tape the ends together around your bag handle. And yes, wait until you get your bags at the airport to do so.

This is what we used to do before the plastic sleeves.  The tape idea works great!

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Debate said:

Should I order the plastic sleeves they sell on Amazon for cruise luggage tags?  Any particular ones you like? 

I use these, but, many are good.  One other thing we do when we travel, I include a printed copy of our itinerary, with contact info,  in the outside upper sleeve of all of our suitcases, and, take a photo of the luggage in case the airline loses them.

The plastic sleeves sold on amazon are great. Be sure to order the correct size!  The description will say Princess, Carnival, etc.  Princess sleeves are wider than the RCCL thin ones. And they last forever!  Have used the same ones for the past 4 cruises!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, turquoisesea said:

The plastic sleeves sold on amazon are great. Be sure to order the correct size!  The description will say Princess, Carnival, etc.  Princess sleeves are wider than the RCCL thin ones. And they last forever!  Have used the same ones for the past 4 cruises!

Good catch, I just did a quick search & ended up on the Royal Caribbean, Yes - get the correct sizes. My bad!

6 hours ago, Debate said:

Should I order the plastic sleeves they sell on Amazon for cruise luggage tags?  Any particular ones you like? 

Another suggestion is to get the plastic sleeves with the wired screw on attachments. The first ones i ordered gad the plastic loop attachments that do wear out and can be pulled off. The wired or cable looking ones are more secure. 

• Like 1

If you have time, order the plastic sleeves from Amazon, they have wires to attach.  Be sure to look for ones that say they are for Princess because they have different sizes.  
Otherwise, only because you are flying in the day of the cruise, I would (and have) use the clear shipping tape method and put them on before you leave.  And print off a couple extras just in case.   Enjoy your cruise!  

Another recommendation from travel companions who flew on embarkation day and used a cruiseline transfer from the airport to the ship: They recommended attaching the luggage tags before departing on their flight to help make things a little less hectic once they landed, but took along an extra set of luggage tags in their carry-on in case something happened to them in transit with the airline.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

I use Cruise Critic plastic sleeve luggage tags. I hade them for years love them. 
Tony

I'm assuming you mean the ones located HERE

We use similar items that were purchased on another site that can't be mentioned here on CC. I have the extra long loops as they are easier to use. I initially had the shorter ones but bought a package of longer loops - way more than I need. Love the tag holders. On a B2B I fold the second tag inside the first one and put them both inside the holder. After the first cruise I simply pull that one out and I'm ready to go for the next cruise.

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

I'm assuming you mean the ones located HERE

We use similar items that were purchased on another site that can't be mentioned here on CC. I have the extra long loops as they are easier to use. I initially had the shorter ones but bought a package of longer loops - way more than I need. Love the tag holders. On a B2B I fold the second tag inside the first one and put them both inside the holder. After the first cruise I simply pull that one out and I'm ready to go for the next cruise.

Hi Thrak,

This is a photo of one of my luggage tags. 
The Captain of The Rowboat 

Tony

B154253D-B885-4B14-98C3-2DCACA9EA9E1.jpeg

On 2/15/2020 at 8:27 PM, 13cheermom said:

Another suggestion is to get the plastic sleeves with the wired screw on attachments. The first ones i ordered gad the plastic loop attachments that do wear out and can be pulled off. The wired or cable looking ones are more secure. 

I agree with you!  We have had both kinds as well and while the plastic loop ones didn't really wear out or break, they are a lot harder to get on the baggage than the steel loop screw type.

4 hours ago, kitty2264 said:

I agree with you!  We have had both kinds as well and while the plastic loop ones didn't really wear out or break, they are a lot harder to get on the baggage than the steel loop screw type.

That's why I bought the longer loops. Makes it easy to put the tags on and off. I agree that the shorter ones were a pain in the neck.