Earthquake worries

anykiad

Hi Everyone,

So we're cruising on March 3rd and I'm so excited. But I'm super nervous about the Earthquakes. I know they can cause large waves and I know that I'm most likely being ridiculous. But I can't help but wonder has anyone had any experiences with earthquakes while near the shore or on the ship? 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, anykiad said:

Hi Everyone,

So we're cruising on March 3rd and I'm so excited. But I'm super nervous about the Earthquakes. I know they can cause large waves and I know that I'm most likely being ridiculous. But I can't help but wonder has anyone had any experiences with earthquakes while near the shore or on the ship? 

I think that unless you are onshore during a high magnitude earthquake you have nothing to worry about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, anykiad said:

Hi Everyone,

Ask yourself what can you do about it? If the answer is nothing......Move on

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Or,  stay home in a secured bunker.  Well, unless you live in a earthquake zone.  

The ship itself is a self-sustaining floating mini city, stay onboard and don't take the tender boat, large waves can hit those over and rock it 🙄 .

Buy insurance, just in case. Be sure to update your next of kin for notification purposes 

Seriously, relax and sit back.  We all only live once. 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I bet that an earthquake would have virtually no effect on a ship at sea unless the quake was enormous and created a very large tsunami.   Or unless the sea wasn't very deep and the earthquake shallow and close.

Most of us who live in an earthquake zone and have experienced a large quake don't worry about another one.  If there is one it happens and you can't do anything about it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I read an article recently about an increase in alien abductions of humans from vessels on the high seas.  Not making this up.  My guess is you have as much to fear of a potential earthquake at sea as you do a potential alien abduction.  Since neither are very likely, my advice is to just enjoy the fun of the anticipation of a cruise and then embark and have a fantastic time!

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I read an article recently about an increase in alien abductions of humans from vessels on the high seas.  Not making this up.  My guess is you have as much to fear of a potential earthquake at sea as you do a potential alien abduction.  Since neither are very likely, my advice is to just enjoy the fun of the anticipation of a cruise and then embark and have a fantastic time!

😂😂 OMG my travel insurance doesn't even cover alien abductions 👽

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, anykiad said:

Hi Everyone,

DH & I were on the EPIC January 5 -16 cruise from San Juan.  The EPIC left SJ around midnight (instead the scheduled 8 PM), due to engine maintenance.  The first quake (5.8) occurred as EPIC was approximately 12 Nautical Miles from the Epi-center (according to what we were told later).  We did not have any clue, until we woke in the morning, and saw it on the news, that there had been any earthquake.  We had no problems due to the earthquakes!

The winter-storms in the Atlantic, on the other hand, did cause changes to several of our island stops!

Regardless, we had a great cruise!!!

Edited by ggTexasGal
corrected date and typos
  • Like 1

I was working on the Pride of Aloha when the 2006 earthquake hit.  We were just docking in Honolulu, and the ship gave a slight "wiggle", like when a tug boat strikes the ship, and the streetlights were seen to be waving back and forth.  This was a 6.7 magnitude quake, centered near the Hawaiian Islands.

As for ships at sea, tsunamis are virtually undetectable at sea, they may mot be over 2-3 feet high, it is just when the high velocity water rises in the shallows that the very high waves of a tsunami form.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ggTexasGal said:

DH & I were on the EPIC January 5 -16 cruise from San Juan.  The EPIC left SJ around midnight (instead the scheduled 8 PM), due to engine maintenance.  The first quake (5.8) occurred as EPIC was approximately 12 Nautical Miles from the Epi-center (according to what we were told later).  We did not have any clue, until we woke in the morning, and saw it on the news, that there had been any earthquake.  We had no problems due to the earthquakes!

The winter-storms in the Atlantic, on the other hand, did cause changes to several of our island stops!

Regardless, we had a great cruise!!!

Wow! You guys must've slept right through it. Sounds like you guys had a great time! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MotownVoice said:

Guess where the safest place to be on earth is in the event of the worst earthquake imaginable.

Go on, guess.

We were on The POA in March 2011 when the big earthquake and tsunami hit Japan.  We were on our over-night in Kauai .

knowing what I know about  about :  Tsunamis, and geography-  i knew we were next ...

The captain took the ship out of the harbor and we sat at sea-  still in view of the island-  so not that far.

I stayed awake out on the balcony as I wanted to see if I would be able to detect anything-  and no-  nothing

as our Captain told us-  the safest place to be was on our ship and out at sea.

Thankfully  Hawaii was spared the destruction that they got in Japan,  but got to hear some wild (and panicky) tales from those who were on the islands that night

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Travelers56 said:

We were on The POA in March 2011 when the big earthquake and tsunami hit Japan.  We were on our over-night in Kauai .

knowing what I know about  about :  Tsunamis, and geography-  i knew we were next ...

The captain took the ship out of the harbor and we sat at sea-  still in view of the island-  so not that far.

I stayed awake out on the balcony as I wanted to see if I would be able to detect anything-  and no-  nothing

as our Captain told us-  the safest place to be was on our ship and out at sea.

Thankfully  Hawaii was spared the destruction that they got in Japan,  but got to hear some wild (and panicky) tales from those who were on the islands that night

As well as the Honolulu quake noted above, I was on the Aloha in Hilo when a quake hit near Japan.  While the ship moved a bit at the dock (we had to take in the gangways for an hour or so), the harbor level fluctuated by about 5-8 feet several times.

5 hours ago, anykiad said:

Hi Everyone,

Safest place during any of this is out in sea. You will be fine enjoy your cruise

• Like 2

Ya...scientifically you cannot feel earthquakes at sea, all you would feel is the water level going up and down, if you could feel it atall...unless you’re really close to shore (like, docked) and there’s a tsunami. that’s why They’re called “earth” quakes and not “water quakes” for a reason

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Or,  stay home in a secured bunker.  Well, unless you live in a earthquake zone.  

The ship itself is a self-sustaining floating mini city, stay onboard and don't take the tender boat, large waves can hit those over and rock it 🙄 .

Buy insurance, just in case. Be sure to update your next of kin for notification purposes 

Seriously, relax and sit back.  We all only live once. 🤔

You do not feel earthquakes at sea!