Long time Princess Cruiser trying Celebrity for the 1st time - Line tips please

KristyMisty14

I'm a long time Princess Cruiser 

I was hoping that the Celebrity Community on CC could give us some tips, recommendations or any info you might feel is good for a first timer on Celebrity to enhance our experience. I am excited to try something new and any info is welcomed.  We are travelling on the Eclipse.

Thanks in advance 😃

I'm excited for you! Celebrity has a great product and Eclipse is a wonderful ship. 😊 The main difference I found between Princess and X was the buffet area; we didn't like the way the Princess buffets were set up - found them crowded and somewhat confusing. I really like the layout of the Oceanview Café (buffet) on X. What I do is wander the stations first and get my bearings, and then start my selections. As mentioned, the ice cream bar is incredible - rum and raisin ice cream is to die for. 😋

All in all, there are things I like about both lines, so I am excited for you to try Celebrity and come to your own conclusion. Let us know how things went.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Langley Cruisers said:

I'm excited for you! Celebrity has a great product and Eclipse is a wonderful ship. 😊 The main difference I found between Princess and X was the buffet area; we didn't like the way the Princess buffets were set up - found them crowded and somewhat confusing. I really like the layout of the Oceanview Café (buffet) on X. What I do is wander the stations first and get my bearings, and then start my selections. As mentioned, the ice cream bar is incredible - rum and raisin ice cream is to die for. 😋

All in all, there are things I like about both lines, so I am excited for you to try Celebrity and come to your own conclusion. Let us know how things went.

Thanks, will do for sure!  I agree on the PCL buffet, so this is good to hear!  

• Like 1

The buffet is so much nicer than those I’ve experienced on Princess ships and much more variety. Better spacing of food areas so that you don’t get channeled into narrow spaces. The Pizza is excellent. The style is modern rather than olde world. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 2

Eclipse is a lovely ship, outstanding service. Make sure you get the icecream at the buffet (Ocean View Cafe) it is included in your fare. The gelato bar at Cafe al Baccio is extra cost. If you have the beverage package the beverages at cafe al baccio are include in that. We didn't even go to at least one lounge so make sure you explore the whole ship. Enjoy the cruise I'm pretty sure you will enjoy eclipse. We didn't do any specialty dining on the last cruise but will try them on the next cruise.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KristyMisty14 said:

MMMMmmm my husband loves icecream!!  Rum raisin ice cream sounds amazing!

In my world there are two flavors, chocolate and wrong.  Thankfully they have it almost every day.  The other flavors do rotate so grab the rum raisin when you see it.  Be sure to add the toppings too and grab some cookies while you are there.  

• Like 1

My tip is to make the most of the music being played around the ship.  We go through our daily program and take note of what's on and work out what appeals.  there are also excellent lectures which are very well attended.

Other special treats on Eclipse (I wonder if we're on the same trip - Feb. 2 from Buenos Aires?) are the delightful library on two decks, and the lovely coffee at Al Bacio which also gives a great view o anything going on in the Grand Foyer.

I'm sure you're going to love Eclipse.

• Like 1

I will second many of the above comments . . . Cellar Masters, the ice cream bar in the Oceanview Cafe, and the overall layout of the buffet.  

I love cafe al Bacio as a relatively quiet place to grab an Americano and perhaps a treat (the pastries are complimentary).

We have cruised Princess and Celebrity . . . Overall, I have to give Princess the nod for storage, but storage on Solstice class ships is ok.  On our first cruise on Solstice during her inaugural season, I couldn't decide what could be stored in the over-the-bed cabinets (plus trying to reach it).  Then I saw a video of someone using the collapsible boxes and bought 6; three for my DH and 3 for me.  I bought different colors so I knew which box to pull down.  This photo was taken on the Eclipse, which we loved!

have a wonderful cruise!

image.jpeg

• Like 3

Ah, this thread makes me so happy! I love to see people helping a new X cruiser. 😊 We have always experienced superb service on Celebrity, and our Eclipse cruise last year, my husband enjoyed the rum raisin ice cream the first day, and then never saw it again! He asked the ice cream attendant every single day and they were not making any new rum raisin. Low and behold, on the LAST night of our cruise, she excitedly called him over and presented him with a huge bowl of rum raisin she had kept in the freezer for when we arrived for dinner! So sweet. We still talk about it. 🍨

• Like 6

21 hours ago, KristyMisty14 said:

I'm a long time Princess Cruiser 

I was hoping that the Celebrity Community on CC could give us some tips, recommendations or any info you might feel is good for a first timer on Celebrity to enhance our experience. I am excited to try something new and any info is welcomed.  We are travelling on the Eclipse.

Thanks in advance 😃

We have sailed on the Equinox and Silhouette, and once on the Regal Princess.  While we both enjoyed  The Sanctuary on the Princess; Celebrity has Princess beat when it comes to food selection.  We usually eat in the MDR and we noticed that the selection was lacking on Princess;   Celebrity has more of a variety of food.

• Like 1

On the Silhouette in 2015, my husband fell in love with some white chocolate chip cookies on like day 2.  Everyday we searched the buffet and any where that had cookies looking for these cookies.  On the last sea day we went to the Top Chef contest/cooking demonstration with the head chef.  After the demonstration was over, hubby walked up to the head chef and asked about the cookies and where he could get them.  The chef was like we make them every day, they should be anywhere you can find a cookie.  Hubby told him he'd searched high and low.  The chef took down our room number and later that day we returned to our room to find a room service domed plate of at least two dozen white chocolate cookies waiting for us.  Another example of great service on Celebrity! 

We travel a lot with my parents and Princess is their favored line.  We all agree that the food on Celebrity was consistently the best we've ever had at sea.  My parents aren't buffet people and will chose breakfast and lunch in the MDR normally.  On Celebrity they chose to eat in the buffet for breakfast and lunch daily.  Husband liked the full salad bar and deli sandwich station.  I think he had an egg salad or tuna sandwich every day with a big salad.  He also enjoyed the eggs Benedict station during breakfast as he likes his eggs more done.  We all agreed that Celebrity had the best pizza.  We are very much looking forward to our March 7, 2020 Equinox cruise.  

• Like 2

We are also longtime Princess cruisers; we tried Celebrity once. We highly prefer Princess, but I’ll share the few things we felt Celebrity did well. The shower is a bit bigger. The solarium with thalassotherapy pool was nice. I loved bringing back jelly beans from the ice cream bar every night. There is a good variety of hard packed ice cream. The stir fry station was yummy. The bench seating in the theater was comfy. You’ll be going on a newer ship than we were on, so hopefully you’ll have a better experience. 

• Like 1

We are long time Princess cruisers, and have also been sailing Celebrity for a few years.  The experience is somewhat similar.  As others have said, the food is slightly better on X and the buffet has a better layout.  

The room storage is better on Princess, but the Celebrity bathroom has a shower door and several drawers for storage.

By the way, in general, minsuite perks are way better on Celebrity, but I think the price is more.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Larwos said:

My tip is to make the most of the music being played around the ship.  We go through our daily program and take note of what's on and work out what appeals.  there are also excellent lectures which are very well attended.

Other special treats on Eclipse (I wonder if we're on the same trip - Feb. 2 from Buenos Aires?) are the delightful library on two decks, and the lovely coffee at Al Bacio which also gives a great view o anything going on in the Grand Foyer.

I'm sure you're going to love Eclipse.

Thanks!!  We LOVE music so glad to hear there sounds like many options! 

We are not Feb 2nd sadly!  But who knows maybe one day on the same voyage!  It really is a small world!

1 hour ago, Pushka said:

There is one thing that Princess excels - and that is the afternoon tea patty cakes. Another plus for celebrity - no shower curtains and the balconies don’t have icky blue synthetic carpet stuff. 

Ohhh I dislike the blue synthetic decks on Princess, I always feel like they must hold a lot of germs lol with all the little holes in them.  Is it a wooden or teak (sp) on the balconies?  We are in a 1C 

Just now, KristyMisty14 said:

Ohhh I dislike the blue synthetic decks on Princess, I always feel like they must hold a lot of germs lol with all the little holes in them.  Is it a wooden or teak (sp) on the balconies?  We are in a 1C 

Not wooden which would be nice but I don’t think even Cunard has this, but certainly not the rubber stuff. It is hard and washable and it dries!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bama4cruisin said:

I will second many of the above comments . . . Cellar Masters, the ice cream bar in the Oceanview Cafe, and the overall layout of the buffet.  

I love cafe al Bacio as a relatively quiet place to grab an Americano and perhaps a treat (the pastries are complimentary).

We have cruised Princess and Celebrity . . . Overall, I have to give Princess the nod for storage, but storage on Solstice class ships is ok.  On our first cruise on Solstice during her inaugural season, I couldn't decide what could be stored in the over-the-bed cabinets (plus trying to reach it).  Then I saw a video of someone using the collapsible boxes and bought 6; three for my DH and 3 for me.  I bought different colors so I knew which box to pull down.  This photo was taken on the Eclipse, which we loved!

have a wonderful cruise!

image.jpeg

Thanks for the tips on the storage!  That's a great idea!

Also the Cafe tips, we are travelling with 8 family members and we have some big coffee lovers!  

11 minutes ago, KristyMisty14 said:

Also the Cafe tips, we are travelling with 8 family members and we have some big coffee lovers!  

Café al Bacio is a pay coffee venue, just so we are being clear. The coffee drinks range from probably $3 - $7 approximately, and the pastries and cookies are complimentary at any time. If you order a coffee to stay, they serve it with a little biscotti for dunking.  If you just want a regular cup of coffee, I find the free coffee in the Oceanview Café (buffet) to be quite wonderful (Lavazza brewed), plus they have real cream, not the small non-dairy creamers that you see on other lines.

• Like 1