Oceania's Action Plan for Coronavirus

HokiePoq

Just a quick question, originally Oceania were offering a $300 pp for flight changes and I presume that people which changed their departure from HK to Singapore and claimed it quick will get this.

We now have three options for our  unusable flights to HK, change them to a fictitious date next year for $300 each, try to convince KLM to exchange them for flights to Rome for our consolation cruise on Riviera in September with a coupon for the (enormous) difference. Lastly not so good hope HK gets closed or our flights cancelled so we can get a full refund.

So my real question is does anyone know if Oceania will honor their first proposal as I don’t want to start any sort of “change” process if I can’t try to reclaim the $?
Still sad about the cancellation but glad I don’t have to wonder for months what will happen on our cruise and as it had already been altered so much it was no longer the original “cruise of a lifetime” we had originally booked.Still want to visit Asia so maybe next year when/if the Corona finally/hopefully gets sorted. 
A day after booking roundtrip Rome more than 130 people had contacted Corona in Italy hope this cruise will not be a nogo!
Rosalyn

9 hours ago, cruiseaholic78 said:

Just a quick question, originally Oceania were offering a $300 pp for flight changes and I presume that people which changed their departure from HK to Singapore and claimed it quick will get this.

We now have three options for our  unusable flights to HK, change them to a fictitious date next year for $300 each, try to convince KLM to exchange them for flights to Rome for our consolation cruise on Riviera in September with a coupon for the (enormous) difference. Lastly not so good hope HK gets closed or our flights cancelled so we can get a full refund.

So my real question is does anyone know if Oceania will honor their first proposal as I don’t want to start any sort of “change” process if I can’t try to reclaim the $?
Still sad about the cancellation but glad I don’t have to wonder for months what will happen on our cruise and as it had already been altered so much it was no longer the original “cruise of a lifetime” we had originally booked.Still want to visit Asia so maybe next year when/if the Corona finally/hopefully gets sorted. 
A day after booking roundtrip Rome more than 130 people had contacted Corona in Italy hope this cruise will not be a nogo!
Rosalyn

In the cancellation email they said they would reimburse/refund for $300 pp. 

The original mail said OBC for $300pp. 

I plan on asking for both, assuming I cannot get a refund from United.  But like you I am waiting to see if they do waivers of the fees as the virus hits more places.  

8 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

In the cancellation email they said they would reimburse/refund for $300 pp. 

The original mail said OBC for $300pp. 

I plan on asking for both, assuming I cannot get a refund from United.  But like you I am waiting to see if they do waivers of the fees as the virus hits more places.  

I had booked Singapore airline on the direct flight from EWR to Sing in business class using miles and also on United direct from Tokyo to EWR again using miles in business class. Both airlines at first want to charge me cancelation/redeposit fees but after asking for exceptions because of the virus both waived the fees...you really shouldn't have any issues...just be polite and ask.

Edited by eldaradoe
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, excited cruise traveler said:

Clo, obviously you have to book a new cruise for 2020, the cruise from Singapore to Rome is cancelled f. this year, but is on for 2021. Why would you think a 100 % refund for the cancelled cruise and 25 % for a new cruise booking f. 2020 is not generous??

Obviously? Not in my opinion. There are people who have already booked cruises for 2022. Scheduling is the big issue.

3 hours ago, eldaradoe said:

I had booked Singapore airline on the direct flight from EWR to Sing in business class using miles and also on United direct from Tokyo to EWR again using miles in business class. Both airlines at first want to charge me cancelation/redeposit fees but after asking for exceptions because of the virus both waived the fees...you really shouldn't have any issues...just be polite and ask.

Paying with $$$ and using miles are two different things.  Easy to waive redeposit fees, but refunds?

We have a flight from MCO to to SIN and SFO to MCO.  The rule are if you cancel you pay a fee to reuse the ticket. The ticket must be reused one year from the ticket date -- which is July 2020.  Yes we can get the fee waived but the ticket for us is useless and we are not going to travel until end of the year.

3 minutes ago, eldaradoe said:

life is a *****....things happen and you took a chance when you bought the type of ticket you bought....as they say it is what it is!

I know...  🙂  Should have used FF miles instead of a cheap business class fare.   Still have hope since all they have to do is make a change to the flight which grants automatic waiving of the change and refund. Will wait to the last minute to cancel as two can play the game of chicken  🙂

16 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

I know...  🙂  Should have used FF miles instead of a cheap business class fare.   Still have hope since all they have to do is make a change to the flight which grants automatic waiving of the change and refund. Will wait to the last minute to cancel as two can play the game of chicken  🙂

good luck.....as the news is changing so this just may not be the best time to travel overseas.

22 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

So is your “cheap” business class fare non-refundable, non-changeable?  That’s what I booked SFO to SIN on Singapore Airlines.  I purchased the ticket through Chase and they basically said se la vie when I told them my dilemma.  DH’s ticket is using miles so we’re not worried about that one.  We bought my ticket on June 9, 2019 so even if they allowed us to use it one year from date of purchase, we’re still in a dilemma.

19 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

You may want to reread the letter. The FCC is applicable only to cruises that DEPART BEFORE 12/31/20.

Hi Flatbush (and others) - I have a general question about overall cruise line and alternative port "capacity".  Given all the Asian cruises that are now officially cancelled (not just O's), and with all the FCC's that are being issued for alternative near-term use over the next few months (in O's case, before the end of 2020).....are there still enough remaining un-booked and available openings on the other non-Asian itineraries to meet this new possible last minute/short-fused demand?  If all those previous (now cancelled) "Asian cruisers" are now going to be scrambling (on such short notice) to find other new/alternative/non-Asian itineraries to use their FCC's on before the end of the year, do you think there will actually be enough availability to meet the demand?

In O's planning, do you think they will somehow be able to "re-deploy" their "Asian ships" quickly enough to other regions, and be able to come up with enough new itineraries, staterooms, and ports, advertise them, supply them, and fill them (with passengers).....all within the next 10 months to "match" this new and re-directed demand?  And of course, O will be competing for ports with all the other cruise companies that are doing the same thing, as well.

And of course, what happens (certainly not wishing for this) if European, Med, Middle-Eastern, Australian, and Caribbean ports start "closing down", as well when/if the Virus scare spreads?  What a mess that will be for the cruising public and the industry.  Any thoughts?  Just wondering.  Best Regards to all.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Senior Citizen said:

So is your “cheap” business class fare non-refundable, non-changeable?  That’s what I booked SFO to SIN on Singapore Airlines.  I purchased the ticket through Chase and they basically said se la vie when I told them my dilemma.  DH’s ticket is using miles so we’re not worried about that one.  We bought my ticket on June 9, 2019 so even if they allowed us to use it one year from date of purchase, we’re still in a dilemma.

Yes non refundable and changeable with a $450 pp fee.

So far I did get them/UA to agree to a fee waiver.  The agent said you might want to wait, in case they extend the waiver until May and to either Japan or Singapore.  Then they could do a refund.  The other SFO to MCO is only $250 fee and Oceania will pay that charge.

pingpong1 -- yes we had difficulty finding anything that was interesting on short notice.  Those we liked were fully waitlisted.  Others are later in the year.   We picked a Montreal to Miami late fall cruise to use our FCC.   Of note the 25% of the full value cancelled cruise is NOT yet in our account -- so we booked it and our TA is after O to get it calculated.

Edited by PaulMCO

1 hour ago, PaulMCO said:

Yes non refundable and changeable with a $450 pp fee.

So far I did get them/UA to agree to a fee waiver.  The agent said you might want to wait, in case they extend the waiver until May and to either Japan or Singapore.  Then they could do a refund.  The other SFO to MCO is only $250 fee and Oceania will pay that charge.

pingpong1 -- yes we had difficulty finding anything that was interesting on short notice.  Those we liked were fully waitlisted.  Others are later in the year.   We picked a Montreal to Miami late fall cruise to use our FCC.   Of note the 25% of the full value cancelled cruise is NOT yet in our account -- so we booked it and our TA is after O to get it calculated.

Just got a reply to my "how much/when?" from my TA:

We have contacted Oceania regarding your questions and have been advised that in approximately a week, all numbers will be calculated. We have been advised that all refunds are expected to be completed by March 6. We have set a reminder for our Team to follow up on March 3, with Oceania about the specific amounts you are requesting.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Just got a reply to my "how much/when?" from my TA:

We have contacted Oceania regarding your questions and have been advised that in approximately a week, all numbers will be calculated. We have been advised that all refunds are expected to be completed by March 6. We have set a reminder for our Team to follow up on March 3, with Oceania about the specific amounts you are requesting.

Great info and many thanks.

After much persistence, and escalating to the 1K customer service, United relented and refunded both of my tickets to the original credit card.  They did not have to, but thankfully 36 years of being an MP+ member and my 3 million miles flown did have some loyalty benefit.   

After much persistence, and escalating to the 1K customer service, United relented and refunded both of my tickets to the original credit card.  They did not have to, but thankfully 36 years of being an MP+ member and my 3 million miles flown did have some loyalty benefit.   

it's all about how you speak to them....

• Like 1

I must have spoken really well!

It must be our lucky day phoned KLM and they said they had extended cancellation policy to the end of May so that will be credited to our account for the HK flight. Managed to sweet talk them out of charging us the €100 cancellation fee for the miles we used for the return from SF. I am sure I will find an excuse to use the miles next year!

Were you still planning on claiming the $300 or was this excluded when they offered the FCC? by the way does anyone know when the FCC will be in my account, I want to use it for a cruise in September that I have on hold at the moment.

happy planning 

Rosalyn

17 minutes ago, eldaradoe said:

it's all about how you speak to them....

I agree that good negotiating is a key but I also think the 36 years of being a MP+ member (though I dont know what it is but sounds impressive) and having flown 3,000,000 miles on that airline, which I will never obtain, maybe played a wee bit of a role in the outcome.

Well done , Paul. Looks like it took a lot of work to get that - hearing that I don't hold out much hope for mine but not unhappy with whatever happens. Would prefer to just go on the trip and will try to minimize loses if I can't go but  there are a lot of things not in my control. Wait and see

21 minutes ago, cruiseaholic78 said:

It must be our lucky day phoned KLM and they said they had extended cancellation policy to the end of May so that will be credited to our account for the HK flight. Managed to sweet talk them out of charging us the €100 cancellation fee for the miles we used for the return from SF. I am sure I will find an excuse to use the miles next year!

Were you still planning on claiming the $300 or was this excluded when they offered the FCC? by the way does anyone know when the FCC will be in my account, I want to use it for a cruise in September that I have on hold at the moment.

happy planning 

Rosalyn

Well done for you, too. Waiting to hear what will be is frustrating for us but g;lad it is working out for others

Congratulations on getting your tickets refunded.  I’m not expecting such a wonderful outcome with Singapore Airlines since we have never flown with them before and have zero clout.  People on a Singapore Airlines thread have said good luck to everyone in this position because their customer service is pretty bad in contrast to their great onboard experience.

So what’s happening to the Nautica after the passengers debark on March 4?  I don’t see an itinerary listed on Oceania’s website.

4 minutes ago, Senior Citizen said:

Congratulations on getting your tickets refunded.  I’m not expecting such a wonderful outcome with Singapore Airlines since we have never flown with them before and have zero clout.  People on a Singapore Airlines thread have said good luck to everyone in this position because their customer service is pretty bad in contrast to their great onboard experience.

So what’s happening to the Nautica after the passengers debark on March 4?  I don’t see an itinerary listed on Oceania’s website.

i had great experience with Singapore on multiple occasions....they are very good.

3 hours ago, cruiseaholic78 said:

happy planning 

Rosalyn

Great to see.  UA had no fees on either ticket to SIN or from SFO to home...  

The only claim I have is for the change fees for my original MIA to HKG on Virgin.   There I have a $100 redeposit fee for miles.  That claim was already sent to O when they made the switch to Singapore.

According to FlatbushFlyer -- (see post #538)  "We have contacted Oceania regarding your questions and have been advised that in approximately a week, all numbers will be calculated. We have been advised that all refunds are expected to be completed by March 6. We have set a reminder for our Team to follow up on March 3, with Oceania about the specific amounts you are requesting."

We also have a replacement booked.  Oceania credited the change of port FCC and not the cancellation FCC.  So next week my TA will have is Oceania representative check with accounting for the new number.  But we have something booked and likely it will be close to a no charge cruise.

9 hours ago, cruiseaholic78 said:

.....Were you still planning on claiming the $300 or was this excluded when they offered the FCC? by the way does anyone know when the FCC will be in my account, I want to use it for a cruise in September.

The $300 pp is an offer of reimbursement for actual payment of change fees (and not pocketable).

See my earlier post about FCC dates (at least for the current Nautica cruise ending March 4.

Questions for those "in the know" - this is not about whether the virus is dangerous or spreading... I'm mostly interested in how Oceania is handling things, and what we may expect in the coming weeks:

1. Our older party of 6 leaves end of March on a crossing, scheduled to dock in Rome, Italy mid April

It seems pretty reasonable to think given the 2 week period, that in 2 weeks, Italy could (or maybe not) be in the throes of a full outbreak. Other ports are having flare-ups (Barcelona, Valencia, have new cases)

2. How soon before embarkation has Oceania been informing their guests of itinerary changes or outright canceling cruises?

are there any cruises already in the med ports ? I would imagine lots of crossings coming up for people.

I'm not particularly concerned about being on the ship, or the ports ... my concern is the possibility of how the USA and Italy may handle people who then visit these countries - ending up stuck in Italy or that the ship cannot dock safely (see recent examples)

If any person exhibits symptoms of the flu (it's FLU SEASON), it seems very likely that entire ships are getting blacklisted.

Thanks for any thoughts/insight. This market is like a triple whammy (stock market correction, health scare potential, and the measures by countries to control the panic even WORSE than the virus)

Travelbug:  Great questions!  I am on the Riviera out of Rome at the end of April and closely looking at your TA crossing to see if Oceania sends it out, changes the ports, etc.

I'm hoping that if our cruise is cancelled Oceania refunds all our monies that we have already paid to them as they did for the cancelled Asian cruises. Not too interested in a FCC at this point.  I would imagine that at the very least my cruise ports will change, ports will deny docking, planes will deny boarding, etc.  Really don't want to be on a cruise with this situation brewing.

My TA said she'll let me now if things change.  She also reminded me of the cancellation penalties.  I am NOT canceling this cruise.  I"m waiting if Oceania does. I imagine Oceania is having a lot of meetings about this.  I hope that we are not cancelled right before the cruise.  I'd rather know sooner or later. 

Edited by bbtondo