Possible coronavirus on ship

TorontoSailor

Don't think there is any cause for concern--provided people take the USUAL precautions, including FREQUENT hand washing. Influenza is much more contagious and potentially deadly.

Still, this must be upsetting for the people involved.

Please WASH YOUR HANDS....A LOT! And cough or sneeze into disposable tissues or into your sleeve, if necessary. Don't be careless. Be precautious. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jan/30/6000-passengers-stuck-on-cruise-ship-in-italy-over-coronavirus-fears

• Thanks 2

Good news!

NOT coronavirus!

Confirmed. 

Still, like always, wash your hands, use sanitizer, don’t cough or sneeze into your hands or into the air. I’m shocked at how many people don’t follow these cruise basics. 

Edited by TorontoSailor
More info
  • Like 2

Herein lies the problem.  Celebrity cruises (for one) does not enforce hand sanitation certainly not on our last cruise on the Edge.  We experienced numerous examples of passengers refusing hand sanitation despite significant bronchial sickness on the ship.  Passengers who should have been confined to their cabins were instead allowed to freely wander the ship spreading their infection to other passengers and crew.  Time was when you were not given the option but that common sense seems to have been abandoned in the name, presumably, of not infringing on people's god-given right to spread their sicknesses to others.

• Like 6

Fair enough....but as has been noted here, proper hand sanitation is increasingly a problem on all cruise lines. And since Celebrity has LONG been my line of choice, I’m just not used to going into other threads.

I’ve been on a couple Celebrity cruises that had norovirus—even had it myself—and it is not pleasant.

WAY BETTER to be safe than sorry. 

An ounce of prevention, as they say, is worth a pound of cure! 

My intention. 

• Like 2

Just wish Celebrity would do like HAL and serve people in the buffet rather than let us all touch the same serving spoon. And I always wish I had a paper placemat so I wouldn’t have to set my silverware down on that still damp table that was just wiped down with a rag that’s been used on lots of tables.I’m gonna grab some paper napkins from the bar and use one as my silverware placemat! (Can you guess I worked in a medical lab for 30+ years?)

• Like 12

55 minutes ago, Drwho32 said:

Herein lies the problem.  Celebrity cruises (for one) does not enforce hand sanitation certainly not on our last cruise on the Edge.  We experienced numerous examples of passengers refusing hand sanitation despite significant bronchial sickness on the ship.  Passengers who should have been confined to their cabins were instead allowed to freely wander the ship spreading their infection to other passengers and crew.  Time was when you were not given the option but that common sense seems to have been abandoned in the name, presumably, of not infringing on people's god-given right to spread their sicknesses to others.

Glad to hear you've figured out the problem!

You are making assumptions and judgements.

My skin cannot tolerate the repeated use of the alcohol-based sanitizers so I am one of those judged harshly by others for refusing the sanitizer at the door. I do however practice hand sanitization practices that are probably superior to a squirt on the hand. (There is a great deal of research that concludes hand sanitizer is not the most effective.) Perhaps others were also using the hand-washing stations available? 

How did you judge that certain passengers should have been confined to their cabins?  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sippican said:

Glad to hear you've figured out the problem!

You are making assumptions and judgements.

My skin cannot tolerate the repeated use of the alcohol-based sanitizers so I am one of those judged harshly by others for refusing the sanitizer at the door. I do however practice hand sanitization practices that are probably superior to a squirt on the hand. (There is a great deal of research that concludes hand sanitizer is not the most effective.) Perhaps others were also using the hand-washing stations available? 

How did you judge that certain passengers should have been confined to their cabins?  

Well it is quite simple really.  If you are repeatedly coughing and sneezing into the air or your hand and water is streaming constantly from your eyes, you most likely should not be walking around the ship touching plates, cutlery, hand rails, elevator buttons, etc. thus ensuring that you share your infection with other passengers and crew.  Sensible, considerate people do not do that.  But that's the problem with common sense - it's an oxymoron.

4 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

1. It wasn’t Celebrity, it was Costa

2. It wasn’t corona virus

Nothing to see here folks.  Time to move along.

It was a cruise ship and that’s the relevance. There’s already a mention of this on another Celebrity thread. I think the OP was making an extremely relevant point. It gave us cause to realise that if a case occurred in a cruise ship then it’s not the risk of illness (happens anyway) but the impact of a 14 day quarantine could be catastrophic for those at the end of the cruise that need to get back to work. 

If people can’t generalise from specific to general then that’s surprising 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 9

56 minutes ago, Pushka said:

It was a cruise ship and that’s the relevance.

But not a Celebrity ship. There are countless threads started on this board that relate to cruising but not to Celebrity. Most of those get moved by our thankless mods who try to keep the board on track. While the possibility of the coronavirus being detected on a cruise ship is of interest to all cruise passengers, the Celebrity board really isn't the place to hold the discussion.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

But not a Celebrity ship. There are countless threads started on this board that relate to cruising but not to Celebrity. Most of those get moved by our thankless mods who try to keep the board on track. While the possibility of the coronavirus being detected on a cruise ship is of interest to all cruise passengers, the Celebrity board really isn't the place to hold the discussion.

And it could well have been ANY ship. I’d be very disappointed if it was deleted. If you don’t think this is an issue for any cruise line then not much more to be said. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Pushka said:

And it could well have been ANY ship. I’d be very disappointed if it was deleted. If you don’t think this is an issue for any cruise line then not much more to be said. 

Of course the issue is important for all cruise lines, as would be discussions on norovirus or influenza. But if there's an outbreak of noro on a HAL ship, that's where related discussions should take place.

Just now, Fouremco said:

Of course the issue is important for all cruise lines, as would be discussions on norovirus or influenza. But if there's an outbreak of noro on a HAL ship, that's where related discussions should take place.

I’d totally agree if this was a post about Noro. Noro occurs, anywhere. We’ve experienced the quarantine provisions on Equinox. But this isn’t Noro. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, lizinindy said:

...And I always wish I had a paper placemat so I wouldn’t have to set my silverware down on that still damp table that was just wiped down with a rag that’s been used on lots of tables.I’m gonna grab some paper napkins from the bar and use one as my silverware placemat! (Can you guess I worked in a medical lab for 30+ years?)

That's why I always take 2 sets of silverware.  I discard the silverware from the first set and I use the napkin as my silverware placemat.  I use the silverware from the second set and the napkin as my napkin.  Eliminates a trip back to the bar.

Edited by ipeeinthepool
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

That's why I always take 2 sets of silverware.  I discard the silverware from the first set and I use the napkin as my silverware placemat.  I use the silverware from the second set and the napkin as my napkin.  Eliminates a trip back to the bar.

Great idea, but I'd keep the first set as I always seem to drop a piece on the floor 😁.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I just place the eating sides of silverware along the edge of the plate.

• Like 2

On 1/30/2020 at 11:56 AM, lizinindy said:

Just wish Celebrity would do like HAL and serve people in the buffet rather than let us all touch the same serving spoon. And I always wish I had a paper placemat so I wouldn’t have to set my silverware down on that still damp table that was just wiped down with a rag that’s been used on lots of tables.I’m gonna grab some paper napkins from the bar and use one as my silverware placemat! (Can you guess I worked in a medical lab for 30+ years?)

I just grab two sets of silverware and use the napkin from the set I'm not using.

• Like 1