PRINCESS SHIPS & CORONA VIRUS

mcrcruiser

6 minutes ago, EDVM96 said:

Lying? No. Incorrect information on their website? Yes.

These are the guys who name the virus:
https://talk.ictvonline.org/

Not the WHO.

"severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2" (SARS-CoV-2).

And yet you're the one above who claim the news was giving false information when they reported the WHO was calling it COVID-19

1 hour ago, EDVM96 said:

The official WHO name of the virus itself is Sars-CoV-2 .

That is not what the World Health Organization calls it.

Just now, SharkieRools said:

And yet you're the one above who claim the news was giving false information when they reported the WHO was calling it COVID-19

That is not what the World Health Organization calls it.

CNBC says: "The new coronavirus now has a name: COVID-19."
NOT TRUE. That's about it.

On 1/30/2020 at 5:14 PM, mcrcruiser said:

The World Health Organization  has just declared this Virus a  world wide threat 

The US state Department t has a level 3 alert on   this virus 

The obvious question is what is Princess doing to protect us ,their passengers & their crews 

From  exposure  to the virus ?  A Costa  ship is being held for quarantine with 6000 pax  in port of Rome because of a person with possible Corona virus  .This is Latest news 

Not much anyone or any company can do except prohibit anyone who's been to any part of China in the past 14-21 days and taking people's temps as they embark (and denying boarding to anyone with a fever, etc.).

2 hours ago, CI66774 said:

Not much anyone or any company can do except prohibit anyone who's been to any part of China in the past 14-21 days and taking people's temps as they embark (and denying boarding to anyone with a fever, etc.).

"If only..." 🙁

Apparently some (many?) can be contagious *before* they show any symptoms, presumably including "fever".

So... how many infected-but-still-symptom-free passengers are allowed on board...

... and then... and then...

Not a good situation.

GC

175 infected is bad . I hope they all pull thru .  take them all of the  ship and sink it .. nobody is going to want to board that ship anymore.  or at least change the name of it as they will probably do . that will fool plenty..  but honestly why would anybody want to go cruising on any ship knowing that this is one person away from a disaster on any ship.  better of spending your money in your own country till its either contained around the world  etc.  

6 deg of separation as they say. 

Edited by in rod we trust
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, in rod we trust said:

175 infected is bad .  take them all of the  ship and sink it .. nobody is going to want to board that ship anymore.  or at least change the name of it as they will probably do . that will fool plenty..  but honestly why would anybody want to go cruising on any ship knowing that this is one person away from a disaster on any ship.  better of spending your money in your own country till its either contained around the world  etc.  

6 deg of separation as they say

No need to worry, Japan is now infected a health official caught it on the ship 

I'm sure the ship is a total loss, I can't imagine any cost effective way of decontaminating it, nor can I imagine any government allowing any of their citizens to attempt the job.   But that is what insurance is for, it probably won't even be a blip in the underwriter's accounts.    The people aboard are our concern.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, NorthwestCruiser said:

I'm sure the ship is a total loss, I can't imagine any cost effective way of decontaminating it, nor can I imagine any government allowing any of their citizens to attempt the job.   But that is what insurance is for, it probably won't even be a blip in the underwriter's accounts.    The people aboard are our concern.

What insurance? The cruise line does not insure for income lost from cancelled cruises. They only insure the hull of the ship.

6 minutes ago, NorthwestCruiser said:

1. How will you sanitize the ship once the quarantine is lifted and the  guests  have disembarked? 

A:  Once the quarantine is lifted, the ship will be taken to a special service dock, where it will receive a rigorous Level 3 cleaning and disinfection, like hospital operating rooms, to fully sanitize all stateroom and public venues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

No need to worry, Japan is now infected a health official caught it on the ship 

How do you know that he caught it on the ship? Japan has repatriated a lot of citizens from China. Who’s to say he didn’t contact it from one of them?

2 minutes ago, V_icki_e said:
  1. How will you sanitize the ship once the quarantine is lifted and the  guests  have disembarked? 

A:  Once the quarantine is lifted, the ship will be taken to a special service dock, where it will receive a rigorous Level 3 cleaning and disinfection, like hospital operating rooms, to fully sanitize all stateroom and public venues.

Operating theatres are already set up for infection control though, such as heavy duty plastics on soft furnishings like bedding, and instrumentation is protected. There is nothing protecting any of the soft furnishings on the ship and I’d dare say it’s pretty impossible to sanitise all the bedding, seating, drapes, cushions and so on. 

13 minutes ago, NorthwestCruiser said:

There’s no way they’re going to abandon a ship worth hundreds of millions of dollars. It’s easy to strip out carpet and furnishings and spray heavy duty disinfectant. The virus doesn’t live forever. This ship will be back in service within a month of the quarantine ending. 

This is of course my opinion. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Kenswing said:

There’s no way they’re going to abandon a ship worth hundreds of millions of dollars. It’s easy to strip out carpet and furnishings and spray heavy duty disinfectant. The virus doesn’t live forever. This ship will be back in service within a month of the quarantine ending. 

I suspect Diamond will have to be pulled from the Asian market. We don't actually know of course but I suspect bookings are deeply suffering for the "plague ship". It might be better to move her to another line and let her sail the Med as the Costa Morbus.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wehwalt said:

I suspect Diamond will have to be pulled from the Asian market. We don't actually know of course but I suspect bookings are deeply suffering for the "plague ship". It might be better to move her to another line and let her sail the Med as the Costa Morbus.

That certainly a possibility. I would imagine that Japanese port cities are a bit apprehensive about letting ships call right now.

as far as bookings suffering, I’m not so sure. We are booked on the 4/2 18 day cruise on Diamond Princess and it is showing sold out. Whether it’s actually sold out or they’re just showing that knowing it will probably be canceled is anyone’s guess. 

26 minutes ago, Kenswing said:

This is also my opinion.

BTW, after the disinfecting etc. I would not hesitate to sail on the Diamond Princess.

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Kenswing said:

That certainly a possibility. I would imagine that Japanese port cities are a bit apprehensive about letting ships call right now.

as far as bookings suffering, I’m not so sure. We are booked on the 4/2 18 day cruise on Diamond Princess and it is showing sold out. Whether it’s actually sold out or they’re just showing that knowing it will probably be canceled is anyone’s guess. 

It’s not showing sold out here in Australia although it did take a couple of refreshes before it became available to book.  There a plenty of cabins available not surprisingly.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Mistylake said:

It’s not showing sold out here in Australia although it did take a couple of refreshes before it became available to book.  There a plenty of cabins available not surprisingly.

Hmm..That's odd.  I still can't get it to show anything but sold out. But if I look at the two 9 -day cruises that make up the 18 day there are certainly plenty of cabins available and at quite a nice discount.

We're still playing it by ear.  If Princess is able to stick with their current plan there will be two cruises before ours.  If they go off without any problems we'll be good to go. 

The situation has changed.   The sewage disposal system and all of the pipes in the toilets are loaded with a BSL-4 biohazard, of the kind that has shut down several large cities in China.    What ever nation that special service dock is located in will not allow plumbers onboard to replace the sewage system, even you could anybody smart enough to know how to  safely use weapons-lab grade safety gear and dumb enough to want the job.    I live near a shipyard, if that thing shows up here the citizens will be out with pitchforks and tar and the union will refuse to work on it -- assuming that the Coast Guard lets it near our shores in the first place.

Think about it, a ship that doesn't even have the virus is being denied entry by several nations, and now you want me to process the S*** from the holding tanks on a ship that has a confirmed large number of infected passengers when the virus is excreted by infected people?     Once you are past that hurdle, you now have a ship that many people (every sane person) will shun.   There is just no business case for restoring an older cruise ship that possibly nobody will want to cruise on.    It is not really that big of a deal overall to the company, ships go onto rocks or catch fire from time to time and the industry deals with it.   The people are the big deal.

• Like 3

here in aus we are coming to the end of summer , and soon to be in the flu season .  don't know about other countries  flu time or season they are in,  are the cruise lines going to say sorry we cannot let you on board because you have the flu . flu and corona virus are almost alike in nature and symptoms .  are the cruise lines now going to say sorry your not permitted on the ship even if you have a flu, as they cant tell if its the flu or coronavirus.. I think this virus now has put a curse of cruising .  spewing a little not much but a little as im trying to hopefully get tickets to the kiss cruise for the misses as a present. 

Edited by in rod we trust