PRINCESS SHIPS & CORONA VIRUS

mcrcruiser

4 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

What are you basing this ridiculous comment on?

Are you aware of crew quarters and procedures for crew on Princess?

Are you aware they are inspected on a regular basis.

I would love to hear how you know this.

This is the first I heard that cleanliness is related to the spread of Coronavirus. Sorry if I don’t agree with you. Close proximity of crew members to each...yes... not how clean they keep their room.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, clojacks said:

This is the first I heard that cleanliness is related to the spread of Coronavirus. Sorry if I don’t agree with you. Close proximity of crew members to each...yes... not how clean they keep their room.

I didn't say anything about how clean their rooms are.

19 minutes ago, Just_Westy said:

Ultimately the mortality rate will decrease significantly and I personally believe it sits at about 0.3% given that many millions of Chinese were probably infected and not ever tested. Europe and the USA are still in flu season so probably a lot of citizens are also infected who don't and probably will never know they even had this virus.

Entirely possible, but the problem is the rate at which this disease can spread. If governments are proactive (which, let's face it, they rarely are, and certainly not in this case) then they can slow the spread, which means less of a burden on the health system. If they disease is left to run rampant, say because of lack of testing, then hospitals can quickly be overrun by cases. When the system is overrun the CFR (Case Fatality Rate) will inevitably rise. So the key is to slow the spread. Clearly the containment battle was lost some time ago.

Sure the panic buying is not helping, but it is an entirely understandable human reaction to the evidence that the virus is breaking out in several countries/continents. Antarctica is Covid-19 free as far as we know... every other continent is not. A simple perusal of the following web site reveals that this is clearly a pandemic, bureaucratic weasel speak of the WHO notwithstanding:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Don't radically change your life style by any means, but expect disruptions and plan accordingly. Maintaining good hand hygiene is certainly one of the most useful pieces of advice out there.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, clojacks said:

Poster says that the crew areas are dirty and that is the cause of the virus,.........I didn't say it.

I am not saying crew can't be infected or test positive. Thats not the purpose of my post. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Poster says that the crew areas are dirty and that is the cause of the virus,.........I didn't say it.

I am not saying crew can't be infected or test positive. Thats not the purpose of my post.

Colo...I’m agreeing with you...it’s not the cleanliness of their quarters that would be an issue....

Edited by clojacks
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Just_Westy said:

Ultimately the mortality rate will decrease significantly and I personally believe it sits at about 0.3% given that many millions of Chinese were probably infected and not ever tested. Europe and the USA are still in flu season so probably a lot of citizens are also infected who don't and probably will never know they even had this virus.

What do you base the 0.3%?  I agree it ain't 2-3, you simply saying that 90% of the people get it and don't get tested or realize they have it.   Given the world wide press, hard to believe anyone with a fever / cough ain't seeking testing, and the larger limitation is the testing capability.

Regardless it is clear the transmission is very easy so even 0.3 on a huge world population is simply both tragic and going to be devastating

• Like 2

The crew has had more time to be exposed compared to the passengers onboard currently. The spread likely started during the prior cruise and has now had more time to pass among the crew who live in very tight quarters, some of them four to a cabin. There is no way to adequately quarantine or control the spread of a something like this in that type of environment. Most crew are young and healthy and not likely to get very ill based on what we know about this - some may be positive and not even showing any symptoms. Yet they are still able to to pass it to each other and ultimately the passengers. I think it's likely that is why it continued to spread on the Diamond even though the passengers were confined to their cabins. That isn't really a quarantine really when there are crew serving them multiple times a day who are not undergoing the same levels of isolation. My heart goes out to all onboard and those on the previous cruise who are now turning up with the virus. Dealing with this and potential future outbreaks aboard cruise ships is going to prove a difficult problem for the industry I'm afraid. There isn't really an easy answer since even screening at boarding doesn't help if someone is not symptomatic at that exact moment. It really is going to be a challenge.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

The crew has had more time to be exposed compared to the passengers onboard currently. The spread likely started during the prior cruise and has now had more time to pass among the crew who live in very tight quarters, some of them four to a cabin. There is no way to adequately quarantine or control the spread of a something like this in that type of environment. Most crew are young and healthy and not likely to get very ill based on what we know about this - some may be positive and not even showing any symptoms. Yet they are still able to to pass it to each other and ultimately the passengers. I think it's likely that is why it continued to spread on the Diamond even though the passengers were confined to their cabins. That isn't really a quarantine really when there are crew serving them multiple times a day who are not undergoing the same levels of isolation. My heart goes out to all onboard and those on the previous cruise who are now turning up with the virus. Dealing with this and potential future outbreaks aboard cruise ships is going to prove a difficult problem for the industry I'm afraid. There isn't really an easy answer since even screening at boarding doesn't help if someone is not symptomatic at that exact moment. It really is going to be a challenge.

Well said, thanks.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, clojacks said:

The crew members chip in a few dollars for a steward to clean their cabins, normally 2 crew to a cabin, sharing a bathroom, sometimes 2 crew sometimes 4 crew.   Upper echelon are in single cabins.  I would assume that crew cabins are also subject to inspection by hotel supervisors, like passenger cabins are, so I would expect them to be clean.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Glad to hear they are feeling well.  I couldn't find him on YouTube and I got worried.  I am sure they are anxious to get back home.  Stay well!

Can you imagine the media attention and stardom when they fly into Heathrow or Gatwick.  The Abels live in Northamptonshire, about 1 hour up the M25 and M1 Motorways from Heathrow, it will be a media circus following.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, johnb0529 said:

Results just came in, 21 positive!

https://apple.news/A-VsW1BwZSkq78itdcJYOKg

Oh dear.  Best wishes to all.  But what about 2500 pax who disembarked the previous cruise, they could be walking time bombs across the USA, in particular California.  If all on board... 3500 pax and crew are to be tested as is reported by media, then the ship will be in quarantine for another couple of weeks I suppose, it will take time.

Edited by NSWP

8 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Oh dear.  Best wishes to all.  But what about 2500 pax who disembarked the previous cruise, they could be walking time bombs across the USA, in particular California.  If all on board... 3500 pax and crew are to be tested as is reported by media, then the ship will be in quarantine for another couple of weeks I suppose, it will take time.

That is indeed what is now happening as past passengers are just now coming forward.

1 hour ago, ladymadeline said:

Does it surprise anyone that the majority of positive tests are crew members? Why didn’t they anticipate this and not turn around and go out to Hawaii?

And what that would accomplish?

If they had turned around with no testing being done, they would have no idea of if/who may have been infected

Transit time back to Hawaii would be about 5 days. With people getting sick, only to show up in Hawaii and perhaps overwhelming Hawaii's ability to respond.

Being close to California and eventually making landfall, they have more resources closer by than Hawaii would have

• Like 3

Just wondering, those of you on Princess cruises now, have you noticed a change in prevention of disease control?  What steps is Princess making now to prevent futher spread of the corona virus?

We agree on this!  I am just curious how things have changed.  At this point Princess really can't afford more bad publicity.  I just wondered what steps are being taken on the ship to protect the employees as well as the cruisers.  We have no plans on cancelling our cruise 3 weeks out. 

6 hours ago, ladymadeline said:

Does it surprise anyone that the majority of positive tests are crew members? Why didn’t they anticipate this and not turn around and go out to Hawaii?

What? They didn't do a turn around to Hawaii or anywhere else after people got sick.  All the sick people from the Mexican cruise were after the still current Hawaii cruise sailed on 2/21.

Edited by Cruising Is Bliss
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, NSWP said:

Oh dear.  Best wishes to all.  But what about 2500 pax who disembarked the previous cruise, they could be walking time bombs across the USA, in particular California.

I don't believe there was anything special about these Princess ships. A lot of people on a lot of ships have had "flu-like" symptoms, but since there was a lack of Covid-19 test kits and the CDC required travel to "known" contaminated areas, many people were not tested for Corona Virus. That does not mean they didn't have it, it means that they weren't tested, and therefore could not be diagnosed, and added to the "numbers".

In the case of the Grand Princess, someone who had gotten off the ship recently WAS diagnosed. There was then a Second Person that had recently gotten off the ship diagnosed. That provided a commonality -- the Grand Princess.  It's my understanding that Princess and the CDC waited until the absolutely last minute to tell anyone else that there was a "cluster" from the Grand (social media channels had hints of a problem before info was publicly released).   Once others knew about the Cluster, they are being tested and identified as positive.

But, I believe it's possible that hundreds or thousands of cruisers from a number of ships worldwide could possibly be positive and be carriers and/or have or have had minor symptoms that have cleared up.  At this point so little is known, that anything is possible.

• Like 2

How many staff on the Grand Princess were on the Diamond Princess when they had the virus outbreak? We know that staff move from ship to ship. And have Diamond Princess staff moved to other Princess ships? It is too much of a coincidence that both virus outbreaks were on Princess ships.

• Like 1