PRINCESS SHIPS & CORONA VIRUS

mcrcruiser

12 minutes ago, GonzoWCS said:

Testing is the key fur sure.  

And therein lies the conundrum:  not enough test kits, personnel to administer and process them, hours long processing times, cost, etc.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, colonialinnkeeper said:

Having staff do the serving in the buffet lines instead of letting every person touch these would go a long way to cutting down on germ passing.

Staff eat/sleep and shower in quarters that are so close, yeah, that helps but if the crew gets it, which the Diamond already proved that will actually be equally a problem.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, colonialinnkeeper said:

Important question of the day! Just how do you sanitize the thongs in the buffet line?

I am not worried about sanitizing the thongs in the buffet line. My wife won't let me touch them regardless.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

How much damage to both Princess & the other cruise lines can not be determined just yet  . Should containment of this virus get out of hand  then it is in the short term the end of cruises  .Who would want to board a ship only to get sick or worse ?

Agree completely.

Hope your post lasts longer than mine (saying much the same thing) did  !

• Like 1

Folks keep a grip!  we have to live period! it is no worse than the flu! Wash your hands! Am I getting on a flight or a cruise ship soon no!  Panic will kill us before the corona virus!  I have more that one auto immune disease so need to look out but not panic!

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Reader0108598 said:

Folks keep a grip!  we have to live period! it is no worse than the flu! Wash your hands! Am I getting on a flight or a cruise ship soon no!  Panic will kill us before the corona virus!  I have more that one auto immune disease so need to look out but not panic!

I don't think anyone is overreacting here.  Those of us who ARE getting on a flight or cruise ship soon (as in march/april) are rightfully concerned about maybe not dropping dead from this thing, but certainly about the potential disruptions to our imminent trips.

Edited by WorkerBee74
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, WorkerBee74 said:

I don't think anyone is overreacting here.  Those of us who ARE getting on a flight or cruise ship soon (as in march/april) are rightfully concerned about maybe not dropping dead from this thing, but certainly about the potential disruptions to our imminent trips.

Maybe that came off harsher then I meant ! What we all need to do is keep it in perspective. Don't recall saying people were overreacting. If you are that worried cancel your flight or cruise. I just canceled a trip to Florida  this morning! That was for our 40th Anniversary!

😞

Edited by Reader0108598

14 minutes ago, Reader0108598 said:

Maybe that came off harsher then I meant ! What we all need to do is keep it in perspective. Don't recall saying people were overreacting. If you are that worried cancel your flight or cruise. I just canceled a trip to Florida  this morning! That was for our 40th Anniversary!

😞

I do understand what you mean at the same time though.  And that's awful about having to cancel your Florida trip 😞  I just know that in the 'abundance of caution', cruise companies are going to worry about flu-like symptoms like never before - that's the reality of it.  Hopefully unnecessary quarantines don't happen, but you never know.  It's too late for us to cancel ourselves, but I also currently have two one-way flights booked so if cruise gets canceled on short notice (like after I've already flown there), I have to figure out how to get back to Canada from Hawaii.  "Stuck in Hawaii" wouldn't be bad, except it would sure be expensive!!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, WorkerBee74 said:

Then just use common sense.....wash hands ALOT!  Don't put your cell phone down on public spaces, avoid self serve dining, eat in the dining room, cough into the inside of your elbow, not your hand.....wear surgical gloves if you are worried about touching handrails, elevator buttons and door handles but most of all.....Remember You Have an Immune System Most people that fall ill already have a compromised health history.   If you do have compromised health, then stay home and don't endanger yourself.  Flu season officially runs thru May.

My background is b/c my daughter had a double-lung transplant.  I have had hundreds of hours of education via medical staff at Duke University Medical Center.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Lovincruisin1321 said:

Then just use common sense.....wash hands ALOT!  Don't put your cell phone down on public spaces, avoid self serve dining, eat in the dining room, cough into the inside of your elbow, not your hand.....wear surgical gloves if you are worried about touching handrails, elevator buttons and door handles but most of all.....Remember You Have an Immune System Most people that fall ill already have a compromised health history.   If you do have compromised health, then stay home and don't endanger yourself.  Flu season officially runs thru May.

My background is b/c my daughter had a double-lung transplant.  I have had hundreds of hours of education via medical staff at Duke University Medical Center.  

I hope your daughter is doing well! 🙂

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WorkerBee74 said:

I do understand what you mean at the same time though.  And that's awful about having to cancel your Florida trip 😞  I just know that in the 'abundance of caution', cruise companies are going to worry about flu-like symptoms like never before - that's the reality of it.  Hopefully unnecessary quarantines don't happen, but you never know.  It's too late for us to cancel ourselves, but I also currently have two one-way flights booked so if cruise gets canceled on short notice (like after I've already flown there), I have to figure out how to get back to Canada from Hawaii.  "Stuck in Hawaii" wouldn't be bad, except it would sure be expensive!!

I do understand that is why I canceled!  Hope it works out for you! Besides hubby wants to spend a few more years with this PITA and twisted my arm 🙂

Edited by Reader0108598

1 hour ago, RedIguana said:

I am not worried about sanitizing the thongs in the buffet line. My wife won't let me touch them regardless.

I nearly choked on my orange juice while reading that. Just too much information there!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I feel for people who have recently been on the Grand. We arrived into LA on the Emerald on 1 March, and I have concerns we may still discover there were sick passengers on that cruise. With the Grand also being in California it all feels a bit too close for comfort.

Edited by debsjc
typo

2 hours ago, RedIguana said:

Thank you for injecting a note of humor into this thread...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Honestly, people who say this is just another flu need to stop spreading disinformation. China did not enforce draconian isolation on it's population for the giggles. Covid-19 is a flu type virus, but has a mortality rate much, much higher than flu. Higher than SARS did. Admittedly it is mainly older people with comorbidities that need to be concerned, but I just described a large cohort of cruisers. There is a reason all cruise stocks have cratered, even compared to the market as a baseline.

Don't panic, per se, but realise this is a serious disease. Cruise lines simply relying on questions to clear passengers are being negligent IMO. I am cruising in April on the Bliss, terminating in Seattle... Plus I have to fly from Perth, Australia. The overall cost of the trip for me and the missus doesn't leave much change out of $10k, none of which is refundable at this stage. What incentive would there be for one of us to say 'I do feel a tad warm' when asked at boarding?

But then the cruise industry has huge debt to service, so stopping cruises would be an issue. This is one of those times where government support and intervention may be necessary to slow the spread of disease.

I say this as someone who is fit, healthy and probably below average Cruiser age. This is more than simple flu.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Reader0108598 said:

I wish would stop comparing this with the flu right now. Because no one in this world is treating this like the normal flu and that impact (disruption to every facet of our lives currently) is the fallout we are dealing with. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Pushka said:

I wish would stop comparing this with the flu right now. Because no one in this world is treating this like the normal flu and that impact (disruption to every facet of our lives currently) is the fallout we are dealing with. 

Umm ok the flu can kill me just as quick! I say this as someone who is older and has health isuues no more worried about this than the flu! I did just cancel my 40th anniversary trip this morning so I am walking the walk so to speak! We all have to make our own choice what is best for us.

Edited by Reader0108598

6 minutes ago, Reader0108598 said:

Umm ok the flu can kill me just as quick! I say this as someone who is older and has health isuues no more worried about this than the flu! I did just cancel my 40th anniversary trip this morning so I am walking the walk so to speak!

@Reader0108598 I'm with you. I'm about to take a break from reading not just CC but most online forums for the next week or so. There is SO MUCH hysteria and fear-mongering over this. The "regular" flu has already killed more than 80,000 people this year, FAR more than Covid-19. I am 56 and in excellent health, and I'm frankly getting tired of all of the Chicken Littles out there demanding that I panic. I won't. The only thing I'm concerned about is whether my cruise in May (and the flight to get there) will be canceled. But I have no control over that, so I'm going to stop worrying. If others want to worry, that's their right. But I won't join in on the collective meltdown.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Reader0108598 said:

Umm ok the flu can kill me just as quick! I say this as someone who is older and has health isuues no more worried about this than the flu! I did just cancel my 40th anniversary trip this morning so I am walking the walk so to speak! 

Well yes, on that we agree. I've never had the flu and I don't expect to get this one either - my immune system is a little hyper, so much so I have auto immune health issues. But it is every authorities response to this virus that has me wondering what the heck is happening here! And it is their reaction that has me worried. Not about the virus but being stuck on a ship for 14 days isolation and not being able to get back to home. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Pushka said:

Well yes, on that we agree. I've never had the flu and I don't expect to get this one either - my immune system is a little hyper, so much so I have auto immune health issues. But it is every authorities response to this virus that has me wondering what the heck is happening here! 

Valid point ! 

Cruising on Saturday out of San Pedro to Mexico on the Royal.  I'm not too worried because I feel like there are many more people around than we know with the virus in our communities.   The thing is, most younger people don't run to the doctor or infirmary when they have a fever and a cough.  We just keep going thinking we have a cold and it will go away.  Older people have more of a risk (and probably better insurance!) of getting worse, so if they get sick, they go to the doctor.  So, basically, being careful with hand washing and antibacterial is our only real defense.  We will be doing a lot of that next week while we enjoy our cruise.  This is the first time I have ever wished to get back in 7 days and will not be too bummed to be back on American soil!

BTW:  We will be taking massive amounts of Liposomal Vitamin C and Liposomal Glutathione by Core Meds (available on Amazon).  I was taking both of these last winter.  My whole family came down with the flu.  It was really bad and they were in bed for several days.  I took care of everyone including snotty kid noses but did not get the flu.  We have been taking these for the past week and will up our doses on the ship.

Edited by jp2746
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Pushka said:

But it is every authorities response to this virus that has me wondering what the heck is happening here! And it is their reaction that has me worried. Not about the virus but being stuck on a ship for 14 days isolation and not being able to get back to home. 

THIS right here ^^^

• Like 2