Dining..Do you mind having to order everything at once?

Heatherco

I can't remember the last time I ordered dessert on a cruise, so it doesn't impact me at all.  However, all of my typical 6+ fellow cruisers always order dessert and don't mind ordering everything at once.  We've had it both ways and either way is fine with us.  In my experience, it seems like one dessert in particular will excite a person and they would have ordered it anyway whether it was at the beginning or near the end of a meal.

Honestly, I prefer not to handle another menu in the middle of my meal.  It just means that I need to bust out the hand sanitizer again after touching it.  We're pretty careful about that kind of stuff on a cruise.

Dan

• Like 2

I am with the group that do not mind at all. we do not like long dragged out dinners in the MDR.

Its so noisy and cramped in there. The quicker we get out the better and therefore we always do

MTD with a table for two.

Having said that we do enjoy restaurants with a more romantic private setting and will usually

stretch our time there and savor every minute.

• Like 2

On 1/31/2020 at 7:31 AM, suesnake2002 said:

Yes I mind. At the very least dessert should be seperate. Sometimes you just don't know if you will want or have room. So what do you do, you order it take one bite and the rest gets thrown out. More waste. 

Also my last cruise I was served, my soup, salad, and appetizer all at the same time. Yes all three spread out in front of me. Not happy big time!

I have decided for my next cruise in April I am not putting up with it. I am sending stuff back til I am finished with the one item in front of me. I do not care if dinner takes 3 hours. 

I've also found there is more mistakes. I will order 2 of the calamari, and coconut shrimp when on the menu. Between me and hubby something is always forgotten. 

Next time just tell your waiter that you would like ONE thing at a time and for them to bring out the next item when you have finished the other....I find that the waiters are very eager to do what the customer requests!!

On 1/31/2020 at 6:40 AM, kernow said:

Ever since this started I tell my server on the first night that I want to order my dessert separately after my main. Most are very accommodating and will bring me back the menu to order from, one seemed a bit put out so I just took a pic of the menu at the beginning and told him if I wanted something when the main was cleared. 

Ditto!  I simply tell them I don't know yet if I'll be comfortably full and prefer to wait until after the meal.  I also tell them I don't want to waste any food and they seem genuinely delighted to check back with me.  

2 hours ago, SuiteLady said:
On 1/31/2020 at 7:31 AM, suesnake2002 said:

Next time just tell your waiter that you would like ONE thing at a time and for them to bring out the next item when you have finished the other....I find that the waiters are very eager to do what the customer requests!!

I did tell them that, as we settling the issue of them not wanting to serve me Pellegrino. So the next night i had pellegrino and all my food in front of me. It just wasn't worth pursuing. It was noted in detail in my survey. 

34 minutes ago, suesnake2002 said:

I did tell them that, as we settling the issue of them not wanting to serve me Pellegrino. So the next night i had pellegrino and all my food in front of me. It just wasn't worth pursuing. It was noted in detail in my survey. 

Why wouldn’t they serve you Pellegrino? You would think that since they charge for it, it wouldn’t be an issue.

I like it when they bring out multiple apps at once, we have a big family and order apps for the table and share.

Mjkacmom, i had the deluxe bev package. They said they couldn't serve me Pellegrino because all they had were big bottles. When i asked for the matre dee, that was when i got served Pellegrino. It is just me and hubby at the table. So not too much sharing. 

On 1/31/2020 at 7:39 AM, Heatherco said:

Oh yes, the waiters are great.  My question was just if you mind having to do it this way?

I’ve been doing it this way since 1984. 

I never thought about it. 

Since they don’t bring the dessert till after your entree, there’s time to tell your waiter you changed your mind. 

Our upcoming cruise will be our first one since this change has been introduced.  If asked to order everything at once I will let the wait staff know that I prefer to order dessert after my meal.  Sometimes a meal ends up being more filling than anticipated and when that happens I prefer to order a ligher dessert.  

I do not mind making my orders for the entire meal at the beginning.  If after the entre, I do not feel like the dessert, 

I just let the waiter know.  I must admit, I can't remember not having a dessert.  After all, it is vacation.  Hope you enjoy your dining experience.

I don't mind at all. It makes the meal go faster and regardless of what my entree or appetizer was my dessert choice will still be the same. If I decide I don't want it later I can always take it back to the room for a snack or simply not eat it. Easy as that. Since it puts less stress on the waiters and saves time I would never insist of ordering dessert later. I for one hate spending 3 hours for a meal on a ship when there are so many other things to do. It could also be wasting other table mates time if they also want to not linger forever.