Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

gvre

1 hour ago, BRANDEE said:

Sorry if this is a repeat question.  I have scrolled the last five pages and can not find an answer. 

Is there any information regarding the passengers let off the ship after 14 days who tested negative?  They were given a ride to the train station and a day later told to do a self imposed quarantine. 

Here is the feed of one such person

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, JennAngel9 said:

“Additionally 1 of 11 Israeli citizens (who disembarked and traveled through Japan on commercial flights home) has been found positive for CV. “

The Israelis did not travel on commercial flights home, nor travel through Japan- they were met at the ship,  and came home on a private jet which was chartered by Israeli insurance companies.  Upon upon arrival in Israel, ambulances met them at the airport and immediately took them to hospital isolation units where they will be for at least two weeks. A second Israeli from that group has tested positive.  In addition four other Israelis remain in Japanese hospitals,  testing positive after Japan refused earlier requests by Israel to fly home all citizens.

BTW, Israel is taking strong measures to try to prevent outbreaks of the virus:  

- Only Israeli citizens are allowed to disembark from flights originating in Asia, and they are met by specially trained ambulance teams who transport them home for an imposed two week home quarantine where they are medically monitored. A seven year jail sentence has been announced for anyone who violates that quarantine.

- 200 schoolchildren and their teachers are currently under home quarantine because they were potentially exposed to the virus on school trips by a group of tourists from South Korea on a one week trip to Israel, who were at the same sites at the same time- the gov’t of South Korea notified Israel that several of those tourists tested positive when they returned home to South Korea.

- Israel has put out a travel advisory for Italy and is considering the same mandatory home quarantines for Israelis returning from Italy and several other countries as are currently in place for most Asian countries.

Even with all the measures being taken, the gov’t is preparing for what is seen as an inevitable spread of the virus. 

Edited by happy trailer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It gets worse for our fellow cruisers: Cruises who test postive must leave Travis AFB but have nowhere to go

The problem is that we don't have enough facilities in this country for people with this infection (think about that for a minute) and the feds are trying to put them into an abandoned mental facility.   The people who live next to the facility are objecting, and frankly it does not seem like a good idea to repurpose an old building as a level 4 containment unit without at least a little remodeling.   I think we are coming to the point where our harsh criticisms of how other countries have dealt with this (China, Japan) are about to haunt us.   We may have to ask the Chinese for some of their "Lego" hospitals that can be built in 10 days, soon.   (We should be asking them for their test kits since ours don't work but I digress.)

I don't know if there is any organization that can advocate for both the passengers and the public in this instance, partially because frankly I don't know what to do.   Putting them into a regular hospital is guaranteed to spread the infection, and it sounds like we don't have a lot of containment set up (yet.?)     I really feel for them as they are pariahs through no fault of their own (I see a trend here of 'blame the victim' for acting like normal humans during the ship quarantine) and wish I could think of a magic solution.   The ones who stayed in Japan are probably better off, unfortunately.

This virus is a beast, lets all be kind.

• Like 15

40 minutes ago, happy trailer said:

Happy Trailer-- your corrections to my post showed up in quotes-- thanks for weighing in.  I hadn't seen anything about an Israeli evac flight and I made the incorrect assumption that they flew home commercial.  Unfortunately, I don't think I can delete my older post or I would.

I believe the point still stands that they did complete the ship's standard quarantine and disembark before taking the private flight home-- but please let me know if I'm incorrect on that also.

in the last report it stated a new master for the ship was in a hotel waiting to take over the ship with a volunteer crew.  Anyone heard reports from the Captain recently, assume he is still on the ship along with senior officers.  
He will be ready for a long shore leave after this is all over. 

2 hours ago, kathy49 said:

you are probably correct...i guess it was someone transferred from elsewhere.  IT is hard to keep all of these people straight. Carl sure is taking the whole thing well....guess not much choice.

Jerri (the one In the hospital in Fukushima) is also taking things very well. She just tested positive again so she tests again in 2 days. She needs 2 negatives in a row before they will release her. There is a charter flight out March 4 so they (Princess’ liaison)say that is the soonest she will leave Japan. She is hoping that will happen.  She doesn’t seem to have any symptoms. Her husband is waiting for his most recent test result, thought it would come today but it didn’t. 

This virus has its extremes. So many are symptomless and unless they are caught up in a drag net like Princess Diamond they would never have been tested and would be doing normal stuff. I don’t think we are approaching this correctly. Expect that there will be some very ill people, some may die, others might need a few days rest and others just the sniffles. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BRANDEE said:

Sorry if this is a repeat question.  I have scrolled the last five pages and can not find an answer. 

Is there any information regarding the passengers let off the ship after 14 days who tested negative?  They were given a ride to the train station and a day later told to do a self imposed quarantine. 

Are there any numbers of these passengers, some Japanese who went home and some others, who went touring Toyko, who have now become sick?  Are they just roaming without any tracking?  I'm more concerned about them, than those who went home to their own countries for an additional 14 day quarantine. Better to become ill in your own country and be taken care of and hopefully protect the rest of the population.  To be given a ride off the ship to do whatever...on day 15 was irresponsible.

Thanks

I don't know what hope there would be for the passengers then. Are they to never be released, or required to remain at home indefinitely? How do they earn a living, for those needing to? 

There was some talk of Monday morning quarterbacking. As I understand it, Japan imposed this quarantine in this manner in the hope of preventing the spread of the virus into Japan, and among the passengers. It does not appear they have been successful on either count, and four people have died. I don't think there is anything wrong with discussing the matter, in the manner advocated by the mods, of course. 

Regarding the balcony dividers: given that those can be opened by crew, I would have to assume that those sharing balcony space were doing so with the permission of the ship and of quarantine authorities, and that they should not be portrayed as reckless. Any responsibility is not on the passengers, but by those who allowed it and who made themselves responsible for confined passengers.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Wehwalt said:

Regarding the balcony dividers: given that those can be opened by crew, I would have to assume that those sharing balcony space were doing so with the permission of the ship and of quarantine authorities, and that they should not be portrayed as reckless. Any responsibility is not on the passengers, but by those who allowed it and who made themselves responsible for confined passengers.

The balcony divider had probably been open from the day those two couples embarked and it was probably overlooked in all the other stuff going on. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The balcony divider had probably been open from the day those two couples embarked and it was probably overlooked in all the other stuff going on. 

More likely (in my view) that as they were traveling in common, they were exposed to each other anyway and it was pointless to send crew in to secure the divider when you can reach around it.

Edited by Wehwalt
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, ar1950 said:

There was a new Youtube video by the son about an hour ago.  Look for David Abel Celebrant Training, Vlog 67. 

Vlog 68 posted tonight an hour or so ago  David himself speaking cheerfully from hospital now hes connected at last:)

• Like 2

19 hours ago, phil the brit said:

I agree completely with you and disagree completely with ncpl.

The agreement by US state officials to take known positive people was a mistake of gigantic proportions. Don't give me that "paperwork was done" crap. It was a stupid mistake that the CDC wanted no part of.

The decision to evacuate the US citizens from the ship was made by the US State Department.  The decision was mainly political.  I have been saying this even before the evacuation was announced.  Some people, both on the off the ship, felt "blindsided" that the quarantine did not prevent new infections among those on board.  That's not surprising for many reasons, including a) the virus had enough time to spread before they even identified "patient zero."  b) the virus apparently has could have a very long incubation time, and c) quarantine was never meant to prevent new infections on the ship.  But most people did not or could not accept these facts.  And people started to panic.  The whole debacle actually exposed more Americans to the virus, and potentially contaminated the busses, Haneda airport, and the ship.  It permanently made the quarantine (which was probably working fairly effective) completely moot.  Only benefit I can see is that the mass evacuations prevented a mutiny situation on the ship.  Despite what Dr. Fauci said, the failure was that of the passenger onboard to tolerate the quarantine, and the failure of those on and off the ship to recognize the global benefit of the quarantine, and the failure of people affected by it to keep themselves from becoming hysterical.  Calling this a failure of the quarantine is an excuse.  And the evacuation did more harm than good, in respect to containment of the virus.

Edited by Psoque
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, seapals2 said:

in the last report it stated a new master for the ship was in a hotel waiting to take over the ship with a volunteer crew.  Anyone heard reports from the Captain recently, assume he is still on the ship along with senior officers.  
He will be ready for a long shore leave after this is all over. 

When this started, Stefano Ravera was the captain.  At some point after that, a FB post that I read referred to an announcement from "Captain Gennaro".  I don't know if that was a mistake or if Captain Ravera left the ship at some point.  Hopefully he is fine!

• Like 1

And the Philippines has successfully taken a large portion of the crew “home”. A total of 451 people from the Philippines (which has to be almost entirely crew as then had only a few guests) left the Diamond Princess. 
If I am reading it correctly that includes 10 that previously were positive but have recovered and tested negative. (Previous report said they had to test negative several times to be released).

This appears, IMO, to be very good news. https://cnnphilippines.com/news/2020/2/25/Filipinos-repatriation-coronavirus-cruise-ship-Japan.html

• Like 3

On 2/24/2020 at 2:17 PM, LauraS said:

Couple of quick things going forward:

• Please keep this discussion cruise related
  • Pleasure ensure that you do not copy and paste entire articles from other sites...instead select a key paragraph (usually the first) and LINK TO the article
  • Keep things polite

The community team will be following this discussion closely, and will remove any posts without notice to the author.

Thank you for your cooperation

As one of the hosts of the Princess boards....

Please see above for Laura's message that she posted yesterday on this thread. Figured I would repost in case anyone hasn't searched back through all the messages from yesterday.

Edited by Host CJSKIDS
  • Like 2