Celebrity App Benefits?

KristyMisty14

New to Celebrity (if you haven't seen my other thread on this board) - wondering what benefits are of having the app on our phone during the cruise.  I saw some write something about dinning reservations and dining menus (MDR) but wondering beyond that.  My husband and usually turn our phones onto airplane mode and throw them in the safe when we go on vacation (cruise, all-inclusive resort etc)  we really unplug.  Are we missing out by not getting this APP for our upcoming adventure on Celebrity?

I find the App very handy in checking out dinner menus on a daily basis, make dining reservations at specialty restaurants, book and/or cancel excursions,  check on-board account, browse the activities on the ship by hour and interest to list just a few.

You can also use your Smart Phone to unlock your door and control many things in the room.    At a minimum you can control the thermostat and lighting and on Edge depending on room can control drapery etc.    If you are traveling with others you can also send messages to each other without the need of a internet package. 

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

By using the Celebrity app I found it really helpful to message my husband on board .  Where are you sitting? Please bring me my forgotten headphones,  etc. It helped by wearing my Apple Watch. I also found it helpful to look at days activities and put them in app calendar. to remind me. I used the app to unlock my door, review my excursion time, appointments, and dining. 

The  app had my xpress pass and booked excursions. . Even though I had them printed it was reassuring. 

My phone was always on airplane mode. Just needed to connect to the general (Limited) complimentary Celebrity WiFi. No need for Internet package. 

• Like 2

In my experience, it is not reliable.  Currently on Equinox.  Times and locations for activities have been wrong, opening/closing hours of restaurants have been wrong, now today they seem to have taken the app down.  I wouldn’t trust anything on the app, to be honest.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2020 at 9:40 AM, cruisestitch said:

In my experience, it is not reliable.  Currently on Equinox.  Times and locations for activities have been wrong, opening/closing hours of restaurants have been wrong, now today they seem to have taken the app down.  I wouldn’t trust anything on the app, to be honest.

Using the similar app on RCL ( sister cruise line) last August 2019  I had the exact same complaint...The advice from the on board IT guy was to totally sign  out of the app & sign back in again....Which totally updated (changed)  the info I was seeing on the app

Worth a try?

The information they have inputted to the app is, in many cases, simply wrong,  and refreshing the app can’t change that.  

examples:

they list Oceanview breakfast as ending at 10.  It goes on until 11:30.

they have omitted any mention of the afternoon tea/snack time altogether

today the app said trivia would be in Sky Lounge.  The Daily said Ensemble. ( The daily was right.)

1 hour ago, cruisestitch said:

The information they have inputted to the app is, in many cases, simply wrong,  and refreshing the app can’t change that.  

examples:

they list Oceanview breakfast as ending at 10.  It goes on until 11:30.

they have omitted any mention of the afternoon tea/snack time altogether

today the app said trivia would be in Sky Lounge.  The Daily said Ensemble. ( The daily was right.)

Good to know, thanks! I won't rely on the app then. Hopefully the chat works! 

Tried to use it on the Constellation on our November 2019 cruise.  It was very good for checking menus in the main dining room.  Tried using the texting between us and our travel partners, but was very confusing and did not work like I would have hoped (could have also been "operator error" LOL).  If we can figure that out, it would be great as we do like to do our own thing now and then before coming back together for drinks or dinner.

We do carry our cell phones all the time as they now function on our camera's, while still in airplane mode.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2020 at 7:18 PM, KristyMisty14 said:

New to Celebrity (if you haven't seen my other thread on this board) - wondering what benefits are of having the app on our phone during the cruise.  I saw some write something about dinning reservations and dining menus (MDR) but wondering beyond that.  My husband and usually turn our phones onto airplane mode and throw them in the safe when we go on vacation (cruise, all-inclusive resort etc)  we really unplug.  Are we missing out by not getting this APP for our upcoming adventure on Celebrity?

The most reliable source of information will be  found in the Celebrity Today.  We were disappointed with the functioning of the Application.  But if you want to walk around with your cell phone, that is up to you.  Personally, I go on vacation to get away from the phone and just want to relax.  

On 2/7/2020 at 3:27 PM, BlackHullSailor said:

Unfortunately, the app won't work on either my tablet or phone.  Requires Android 7.0 or higher and both of mine are Android 6 based technology.  Oh well.....

Well, this gives you a reason to upgrade, if you want.  

Question about the App (not trying to hijack the thread).  It works perfectly on my iPhone but horribly on my iPad.  The iPhone is a work phone and I tend to leave it at home when I travel.  Has anyone gotten the App to work correctly on an iPad?  I've deleted it twice in hopes there was just an issue but each time I run into the same issues which make it unusable on the iPad.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2020 at 5:58 PM, keesar said:

The most reliable source of information will be  found in the Celebrity Today.  We were disappointed with the functioning of the Application.  But if you want to walk around with your cell phone, that is up to you.  Personally, I go on vacation to get away from the phone and just want to relax.  

Thanks for your thoughts on the APP.  As I said we don't normally take our phones and unplug which is why I asked if I would missing out greatly by not downloading it. Cheers

2 hours ago, KristyMisty14 said:

Thanks for your thoughts on the APP.  As I said we don't normally take our phones and unplug which is why I asked if I would missing out greatly by not downloading it. Cheers

I can understand your desire.   Everything you can do on the App you can do manually with the exception of being able to communicate with other family members (a function I have never used).    It's just a convenience for those techno nerds like me who have withdrawal symptoms when not attached.

On 2/5/2020 at 7:09 PM, Jim_Iain said:

I find the App very handy in checking out dinner menus on a daily basis, make dining reservations at specialty restaurants, book and/or cancel excursions,  check on-board account, browse the activities on the ship by hour and interest to list just a few.

You can also use your Smart Phone to unlock your door and control many things in the room.    At a minimum you can control the thermostat and lighting and on Edge depending on room can control drapery etc.    If you are traveling with others you can also send messages to each other without the need of a internet package. 

Jim, do you still leave your phone on airplane mode?  I really don’t want a huge phone bill to come home to