Ventura switching ports?

AndyMichelle

9 hours ago, Merlinz said:

We were booked to go on this cruise too, at last minute gave less then 24 hours notice of port change, feel sickened at their poor service got a refund on the phone offered no compensation telling us we need to wait 7-10 days for our money back.

Don't blame it on poor weather docking etc theirs clearly other reasons why they are diverting.

Good riddance P&O.

Little knowledge is dangerous. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Merlinz said:

Who is it that has little knowledge? do enlighten us.

You’ve obviously no experience of how boats are affected by strong winds at low speeds trying to get in and out of ports they’re far better out at sea with plenty of room to manoeuvre and maintain steerage. Hope this enlightens you sufficiently. Oh and in case you’re wondering how I know these things I used to be a fisherman and lifeboat crew/coxswain for over 20 years so I have a little bit more knowledge than some

• Like 2

Yes as previously stated ive also worked a maritime based job for over 15 years, a ship like the ventura could cut through those waves and wind conditions with ease, plus if your so experienced yourself as you claim then im sure you would have checked the weather conditions yourself, people have left links and information to direct weather information that is updated regularly and as accurate as it can get this day in age, and by what we are seeing the path is perfectly clear to make way for Ijmuiden, so your point is invalid, and if you have as much experience as you claim out at sea then you will know that they didn't need to divert.

not to mention, which i keep bringing up, simply a faster refund atleast would have been more acceptable anyway, its the fact that they are giving 7-10 days on refunds which is the disgusting thing above all.

Whatever you say can't justify anything, i have enough information here to not only suggest but prove that they could have easily made the trip to Ijmuiden and back safely.

Edited by Merlinz
Sorry for wrong quote^ was meant to drag Manx's comment in.

I can't speak for Merlinz Manx Buoy but I myself have over 15 years of cruising experience spanning well over 30 cruises.

I am very well aware of how the wind affects tall cruise ships and what their capabilities are both at sea and using thrusters in port.   With extremely high winds a ship can be pinned to the dock and unable to thrust off safely.   When entering very tight ports such as the entrance to the port of Cadiz the ship has to pirouette which is equally tricky in high winds.

Regardless of this a cruise line always has the option of requesting the assistance of TUG BOATS from the port.  Indeed sometimes the Harbour Master will actually insist on the cruise line using tugs such as has sometimes happened when sailing into Venice.

Of course the use of tug boats comes at additional cost to the cruise line.   So given the choice of keeping the cruise itinerary going for passengers by paying additional costs for tug boat assistance, or simply cancelling the port and having a day at sea with a captive audience to leech more OBR from them, I think I can guess which way cruise lines in general are likely to go . . . . .

5 minutes ago, KnowTheScore said:

Of course the use of tug boats comes at additional cost to the cruise line.   So given the choice of keeping the cruise itinerary going for passengers by paying additional costs for tug boat assistance, or simply cancelling the port and having a day at sea with a captive audience to leech more OBR from them, I think I can guess which way cruise lines in general are likely to go . . . . .

Would the cost of tug boats outweigh what refunding many passengers and losing their onboard spend would cost? 

Andy 

I'm not one who thinks P&O are perfect - especially shoreside - but do believe that they can't win in a situation such as this.  If they had decided to set sail without any changes and the ship could not berth in Ijmuiden (which has a very long, narrow berth similar to berth 46/Ocean Terminal at Southampton) then I don't doubt that they would have had a lot of complaints from people about the missed call and shouts for compensation.

I experienced something similar years ago aboard Oriana in Villefranche.  The wind got up early afternoon and the Harbour Master ordered the captain to leave the anchorage because she was dragging.  There were people complaining that the Captain should have known it was going to get windy and he should have cancelled the call!  I am certain the same people would have been very unhappy if he had just cancelled the call and said "but its not windy now"!

Sadly, with the growth in size of ships, this is something that has increased in ports all around the World these days and we have now seen a number of occasions where the wind has even caused ships to break their lines when moored up - a significant safety issue.

• Like 3

You take a gamble on any cruise that any port might be missed for varying reasons but common sense tells you that if you book one in winter months sailing from Southampton the chances are increased considerably due to weather and its a chance you have to take.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Merlinz said:

Yes as previously stated ive also worked a maritime based job for over 15 years, a ship like the ventura could cut through those waves and wind conditions with ease, plus if your so experienced yourself as you claim then im sure you would have checked the weather conditions yourself, people have left links and information to direct weather information that is updated regularly and as accurate as it can get this day in age, and by what we are seeing the path is perfectly clear to make way for Ijmuiden, so your point is invalid, and if you have as much experience as you claim out at sea then you will know that they didn't need to divert.

not to mention, which i keep bringing up, simply a faster refund atleast would have been more acceptable anyway, its the fact that they are giving 7-10 days on refunds which is the disgusting thing above all.

Whatever you say can't justify anything, i have enough information here to not only suggest but prove that they could have easily made the trip to Ijmuiden and back safely.

If you read my post I’m not arguing the fact that she can sail in those conditions it’s the getting in and out of ports and holding her alongside that’s the problem I know where I’d rather be on something that size and that’s bobbing round on the open sea with plenty of sea room in case anything goes wrong. In your maritime based job have you ever experienced ropes parting pulling mooring cleats out of the deck and whistling past your ear well I have and I’ve no wish to see it again or anybody else have it happen to them. 
Know The Score there comes a stage when no matter how many tugs are available a ship that size can’t be controlled so they have to draw the line somewhere I’m guessing ports have wind limits on ships entering/leaving, I know Heysham where our ferry sails to has these and they’re rigidly enforced. Having been on her one day when a squall got hold of her and carried her into another ship causing lots of damage it’s not pretty. 
Anyway enough of this I’m of to cut the grass before Ciara arrives enjoy your weekend👍

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

You take a gamble on any cruise that any port might be missed for varying reasons but common sense tells you that if you book one in winter months sailing from Southampton the chances are increased considerably due to weather and its a chance you have to take.

I totally agree with you. November 2015 we did a 18 nights Mediterranean on Adonia. We left Alicante? I think it was, on our way to Naples when Captain Cook informed us that 'the pesky mistral' his words, was coming from the north. It got very windy but the following afternoon a gale blew up and at lunch in the MDR the ship lurched and everything slid off the tables. We were told by captain he had to do quick turn into wind and to stay where we were and brace our selves. One broken stabiliser and one missed port later we we're safely in Livorno. The rest of the cruise was completed as per itinerary. This event was totally unexpected but Captain Cook handled it perfectly. Whatever P&O need to do to make sure passengers and crew are safe must be done surely? I don't think that you can be too careful when dealing with the unpredictable weather and a thousand plus lives.

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

I totally agree with you. November 2015 we did a 18 nights Mediterranean on Adonia. We left Alicante? I think it was, on our way to Naples when Captain Cook informed us that 'the pesky mistral' his words, was coming from the north. It got very windy but the following afternoon a gale blew up and at lunch in the MDR the ship lurched and everything slid off the tables. We were told by captain he had to do quick turn into wind and to stay where we were and brace our selves. One broken stabiliser and one missed port later we we're safely in Livorno. The rest of the cruise was completed as per itinerary. This event was totally unexpected but Captain Cook handled it perfectly. Whatever P&O need to do to make sure passengers and crew are safe must be done surely? I don't think that you can be too careful when dealing with the unpredictable weather and a thousand plus lives.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Would the cost of tug boats outweigh what refunding many passengers and losing their onboard spend would cost? 

Andy 

What refunding of passengers???   If you miss ports due to weather then you don't get compensated.   You only get compensated for ports missed due to technical issues.

7 minutes ago, bee-ess said:

I think P&O made the right call don't you

100% I’d love to see the experts trying to get her out of there in that😂. It wouldn’t be safe to be ashore even in that there’ll be lots of roofs flying around I’d be thinking

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

For us Southerners... 

Don't go out, batten down the hatches. 

For you Northerners... 

You might need a coat... 😊

Andy 

And for those of us who are Midlanders born and bred???😏

12 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

For us Southerners... 

Don't go out, batten down the hatches. 

For you Northerners... 

You might need a coat... 😊

Andy 

And for those of us even further north, shorts on for a walk in fine fresh day 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Manx buoy said:

You’ve obviously no experience of how boats are affected by strong winds at low speeds trying to get in and out of ports they’re far better out at sea with plenty of room to manoeuvre and maintain steerage. Hope this enlightens you sufficiently. Oh and in case you’re wondering how I know these things I used to be a fisherman and lifeboat crew/coxswain for over 20 years so I have a little bit more knowledge than some

Spot on!  I work with all the lifeboat team in Salcombe.  Some ports are a lot easier than others in strong winds.