Ventura switching ports?

AndyMichelle

In 2019 on Aurora in Civitavecchia, a massive storm arrived.  The early excursions had already got off and we were told we could not get off the ship.  The gangways had fallen into the water and 2 mooring ropes had parted.  We were held on to the quay for 5 hours by 3 tugs and the passengers who were ashore could not get back on.  The sea crashing over the quay wall was unbelievable and it's a massive wall.  I leave it to the Captain to decide what is safe and what isn't.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Manx buoy said:

BBC forecast for Ijmuiden on Sunday for all the conspiracy theorists

9ABD0E9F-18F9-40C4-A587-1D1A6C74FE08.png

Laughable

Since when is a regular weather forecast relevant to shipping ?!!    What does the actual shipping forecast have to say?

It says the winds expected will be around 30mph occasionally gusting at 50mph.  To put that into cruising perspective its a basic gale force 6-8 which are wind speeds ships cruise in all the time.   The sea swell is predicted to be a mere 1m to 1.5m which is nothing.

Astute readers will do their research and check the port authority website over the weekend and any webcams and check to see if a ship from another cruise line slips in there.

4 minutes ago, KnowTheScore said:

Laughable

Since when is a regular weather forecast relevant to shipping ?!!    What does the actual shipping forecast have to say?

It says the winds expected will be around 30mph occasionally gusting at 50mph.  To put that into cruising perspective its a basic gale force 6-8 which are wind speeds ships cruise in all the time.   The sea swell is predicted to be a mere 1m to 1.5m which is nothing.

Astute readers will do their research and check the port authority website over the weekend and any webcams and check to see if a ship from another cruise line slips in there.

Whereas us less astute fools will just look at the weather forecast

Edited by bee-ess

5 minutes ago, KnowTheScore said:

Laughable

I think you’ll find the actual shipping forecast only covers a period out to 24 hours so if you look again tomorrow it will have Sundays forecast and once again my point is that she won’t be able to get in and out of Ijmuiden safely I’m not doubting she can handle the weather in open waters. Astute readers would read posts correctly in the first place

Edited by Manx buoy
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, KnowTheScore said:

Laughable

Astute readers might understand that the simple fact that another cruise ship had docked is totally irrelevant unless it is of the same design as Ventura. 

• Like 1

Took a look at the port map for Ijmuiden.  As can be seen the ship has an easy glide through the gates but has to make a sharp pirouette into the actual berth which is marked with the Google pointer.   I have to assume they are not confident of being able to make that manoeuvre in strong winds.

Ijmuiden.png

16 minutes ago, KnowTheScore said:

When you do it for a living you look at UKMO forecast not an app on a tablet anyway I give up you’ve obviously far more knowledgeable about everything than a mere mortal like myself I’ll let you get back to the other thread where you sorting out the coronavirus problem

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My earlier post incorrectly stated mph rather than knots but I wasn't able to correct it in time as CC doesn't give you long for that before locking the post in.   The wave heights aren't that relevant in enclosed ports imho.  This will be purely about the wind strength and the fact that Ventura is essentially a tall block of flats which is easily pushed around by side winds.    She has thrusters like all ships but I assume they are just not confident that they will be enough to make that sharp turn into the berth or indeed to get back out of it later.

Weather news is often blown out of proportion, next they will state we have another "beast from the east."

they were discussing to divert the route for days (obviously) they could have given more than 23 hours notice, that is obvious too.

and its just the fact that they refuse CHAPS refunds under exceptional circumstances like that.

they just dont want to risk running late for their 35 day trip that launches the day this one comes back on the 11th feb its really that simple because the weather picks up on return, its obvious their just pulling a fast one, and all we have on here is sympathizers for a company that lies openly to its customers.

8 minutes ago, Merlinz said:

They just dont want to risk running late for their 35 day trip that launches the day this one comes back on the 11th feb its really that simple because the weather picks up on return, its obvious their just pulling a fast one, and all we have on here is sympathizers for a company that lies openly to its customers.

Nope.   They're by no means without their faults .. but in this instance, they're putting the safety and comfort of the ship, the crew and the passengers first.   The T&Cs state quite clearly they reserve the right to cancel or change ports for whatever reason, and as someone stated several comments ago on this thread, you no doubt would have been moaning just as much had you got to The Netherlands and found that the ship couldn't get in, they had shut the port, the captain wouldn't take the risk or the the port authority just said "no".

• Like 2

I hate to disillusion the person above, but the Inshore Water forecast for Lyme Regis to Lands End tomorrow is Gale Force 9 and that's just tomorrow evening.  I imagine the actual for Sunday will be Violent Storm 11.  So stop talking rubbish.  The land forecast is always lower than the sea forecast.

• Wind

Southwesterly 6 or 7, increasing gale 8 or severe gale 9.
  • Sea State

Moderate or rough at first in east, otherwise rough or very rough becoming very rough or high.
  • Weather

Rain or squally showers later.
  • Visibility

Moderate or good, occasionally poor.
Edited by jeanlyon

3 hours ago, KnowTheScore said:

My earlier post incorrectly stated mph rather than knots but I wasn't able to correct it in time as CC doesn't give you long for that before locking the post in.   The wave heights aren't that relevant in enclosed ports imho.  This will be purely about the wind strength and the fact that Ventura is essentially a tall block of flats which is easily pushed around by side winds.    She has thrusters like all ships but I assume they are just not confident that they will be enough to make that sharp turn into the berth or indeed to get back out of it later.

The forecast data I gave was for the sea conditions not the port.

16 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

The forecast data I gave was for the sea conditions not the port.

The ships sail in very adverse conditions all the time.  I've sailed in a force 12 Hurricane twice on P&O and sailed with gale force 10-11s and 8-9s many many times.  Also in very high swells.  Those conditions AT SEA do not stop a ship from sailing.  The issue with the cruise being discussed is the port.  The ship has to be able to safely enter and leave the port and be able to remain at berth whilst there.

Clearly Carnival don't think that will be possible with the expected weather conditions.  I strongly suspect that it could be managed with the aid of tug boats but that creates an additional and sizable expense to the cruise line.   Interestingly the Ocean Terminal at Southampton which is where Ventura often sails to/from equally requires the ship to make a sharp manoeuvre to berth. 

Edited by KnowTheScore

Amazes me how some think they know better and are better qualified than the Captain's of cruise ships and the experts based at Southampton with regards to conditions of which a ship can sail in safely and the docking of cruise ships at ports and the adverse conditions they might have to encounter. The safety of the passengers, the staff and the ship is the main priority of any Captain and those that make these decisions in Southampton and I am sure are not taken lightly. Makes me wonder if some knocking P&O about their actions on the current Ventura cruise have any maritime experience in operating a ship or is the only experience they have is a plastic one in the bath.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Agree totally.  Here is the latest Inshore forecast for South Devon, worse elsewhere

• Wind

South or southwest 4 to 6, increasing 7 to severe gale 9, perhaps storm 10 later.
  • Sea State

Moderate or rough, occasionally slight at first, becoming very rough or high later except in Lyme Bay.
  • Weather

Drizzle, then rain later.
  • Visibility

Moderate or poor, occasionally good at first.

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

Amazes me how some think they know better and are better qualified than the Captain's of cruise ships and the experts based at Southampton with regards to conditions of which a ship can sail in safely and the docking of cruise ships at ports and the adverse conditions they might have to encounter. The safety of the passengers, the staff and the ship is the main priority of any Captain and those that make these decisions in Southampton and I am sure are not taken lightly. Makes me wonder if some knocking P&O about their actions on the current Ventura cruise have any maritime experience in operating a ship or is the only experience they have is a plastic one in the bath.

I agree. I'm sure that if the captain made an announcement that he thought it wasn't safe to dock somewhere but a couple of passengers thought it would be ok so he's decided to give it a try there would be uproar on board.