CARNIVAL CORONA VIRUS THREAD

sapphire_407

11 minutes ago, DenaInWyo said:

Okay, I just need a vent here.

Because at least I'm venting somewhere people will get it.

I get that this is a serious disease and I'm not minimizing that..but I honestly feel like my current odds going on a cruise support me a) not catching it at all and b) at my age and health, very likely to recover after feeling pretty crappy for awhile.  

That said..my internal struggle on whether or not to cancel is based ENTIRELY on all the craziness.  I'm now worried my work is going to come up with a 2 week quarantine when I return because unfortunately they knew what my time off was booked for before all this went down.  They haven't mentioned anything yet, but I'm in Wyoming and we so far have no cases.  I'm seeing all over that workplaces are doing that..most without pay.  I've cautioned my travel mates not to talk about it and feel like social media posts of "look at our cool trip" are probably a bad idea.  Someone in my roll call posted about a friend who is getting backlash in their community on their return that they should have to be quarantined.  This is all.  just.  nuts.  It's so unfair that the only large group activity getting actually TESTED when someone gets ill seems to be the cruise lines.  I am 100% convinced there are SO many undiagnosed cases already out there..completely unrelated to cruising.  Hell, I have a strong gut feeling someone I know had it when they returned from a recent trip (they're fine, btw).

Stay away from Youtube, where the general public can comment on corona as related to cruising.  We're all a bunch of complete idiots for considering it, and this illness is entirely the fault of cruiselines.  Someone suggested anyone returning from a cruise right now should be put in prison for their quarantine.  

Scared of getting sick?  Nope.  Scared of the hysteria of our neighbors at home?  Starting to get kinda worried.  Normally I wouldn't give a damn what anyone thought of what I do with my time..but this could have actual consequences.

Still waiting to see what happens.  /end rant.

Actions have consequences, maybe it turns out ok with you, but what if you were infected,  had no outward signs, wasn't tested/quarantined, and you gave it to someone who died, sure, its not likely to happen, but its not always about you either! My little ramble, sorry!-)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DenaInWyo said:

I get that this is a serious disease and I'm not minimizing that..but I honestly feel like my current odds going on a cruise support me a) not catching it at all and b) at my age and health, very likely to recover after feeling pretty crappy for awhile.  

That said..my internal struggle on whether or not to cancel is based ENTIRELY on all the craziness.  I'm now worried my work is going to come up with a 2 week quarantine when I return because unfortunately they knew what my time off was booked for before all this went down.  They haven't mentioned anything yet, but I'm in Wyoming and we so far have no cases.  I'm seeing all over that workplaces are doing that..most without pay.  I've cautioned my travel mates not to talk about it and feel like social media posts of "look at our cool trip" are probably a bad idea.  Someone in my roll call posted about a friend who is getting backlash in their community on their return that they should have to be quarantined.  This is all.  just.  nuts.  It's so unfair that the only large group activity getting actually TESTED when someone gets ill seems to be the cruise lines.  I am 100% convinced there are SO many undiagnosed cases already out there..completely unrelated to cruising.  Hell, I have a strong gut feeling someone I know had it when they returned from a recent trip (they're fine, btw).

Stay away from Youtube, where the general public can comment on corona as related to cruising.  We're all a bunch of complete idiots for considering it, and this illness is entirely the fault of cruiselines.  Someone suggested anyone returning from a cruise right now should be put in prison for their quarantine.  

Scared of getting sick?  Nope.  Scared of the hysteria of our neighbors at home?  Starting to get kinda worried.  Normally I wouldn't give a damn what anyone thought of what I do with my time..but this could have actual consequences.

I understand that you aren’t afraid of the virus, but do you have older grandparents or parents? Please be mindful when you return to stay away from older folks.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, DenaInWyo said:

I think you hit all the salient points.  We have had several clients call and cancel due to work demands regarding quarantine.  Add to that that there are only 5000 in Wyoming 😉 (just kidding, I actually love your state....in the summertime) but I needed a comeback for the Grinch line.  😃

Ha, yep. I guess my point is, they were talking a much higher death rate early on. So it’s nice to get some good news out of today.

I honestly have not been keeping up with the WHO. Due to info overload, I’ve tried to keep up very very closely with the cdc and local news reports—with national news sprinkled in where I can and talking with people i know and trust with medical knowledge. The Italy numbers are astonishing to me. So when Fauci did nearly a 180 today, it caused me both alarm and confusion. Why now? We’ve known what’s happening in Italy and China for weeks. I’m perplexed why NOW he’s ramped it up so very much. I find it very interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

11 minutes ago, DenaInWyo said:

Thanks Jim, well deserved 😉  And give me SOME credit..there are at least 5,219 people here!

I remember going thru Wyoming, on rt 80 in the early 80's, stopped off to take a break from driving, have a beer in a bar, the floor was 'hardened dirt',,,,,,remember pool tables, dart boards, and cowboy hats!-)) Beer was cold too!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hawkeye93 said:

I honestly have not been keeping up with the WHO. Due to info overload, I’ve tried to keep up very very closely with the cdc and local news reports—with national news sprinkled in where I can and talking with people i know and trust with medical knowledge. The Italy numbers are astonishing to me. So when Fauci did nearly a 180 today, it caused me both alarm and confusion. Why now? We’ve known what’s happening in Italy and China for weeks. I’m perplexed why NOW he’s ramped it up so very much. I find it very interesting.

Last week WHO estimated 3.4%.

Good question on the ramp up. Maybe because we aren’t quite at the tipping point, but getting there? So let’s get more urgency? To me, it’s all about risk. If my cruise sails in 2 weeks, I’ll be on it. I know some think that’s selfish.  But I also work from home and will self-quarantine for a couple of weeks after my cruise just in case. If I couldn’t do that, I probably would reschedule. 

One thing I wish we could do is cut out the politics over this (I don’t  mean anyone specifically). It doesn’t help. You have one side saying it’s Trump’s Katrina trying to score points. On the other hand, you have Trump supporters calling the other side hypocrites when Trump decided to close off travel from China. It’s all silly.

if left and right can’t agree that a freakin virus is bad and work together, we are doomed.

Edited by Hoosierpop

14 minutes ago, Hoosierpop said:

Last week WHO estimated 3.4%.

Good question on the ramp up. Maybe because we aren’t quite at the tipping point, but getting there? So let’s get more urgency? To me, it’s all about risk. If my cruise sails in 2 weeks, I’ll be on it. I know some think that’s selfish.  But I also work from home and will self-quarantine for a couple of weeks after my cruise just in case. If I couldn’t do that, I probably would reschedule. 

One thing I wish we could do is cut out the politics over this (I don’t  mean anyone specifically). It doesn’t help. You have one side saying it’s Trump’s Katrina trying to score points. On the other hand, you have Trump supporters calling the other side hypocrites when Trump decided to close off travel from China. It’s all silly.

if left and right can’t agree that a freakin virus is bad and work together, we are doomed.

Hopefully tonight's address at 9 pm et will do what you said, cause the 'hoax talk' gotta stop!

Most people here just want to know what's required, and we'll do it, no more guessing! Even the cruise lines want to know whats required!

• Like 2

Pretty sure we are doomed then bc that’s exactly where we are.

FWIW, I don’t think you’re selfish for cruising. What’s selfish to me are those who demean others for their decision and those saying they see no reason for anyone to cancel. To me, this is simply very different for each person (which is why I’m so glad the industry is allowing some choices!). If people are ok with potential quarantines (land or sea) and don’t have jobs in high risk categories (or are high risk themselves) I think it’s absolutely fine to make your choice to sail—doesn’t make you selfish at all.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I just cancelled our April 25 cruise on the Breeze. I’m not at all scared of the virus, I think the hype is ridiculous and harmful. My wife and I are in our mid 30s and mostly in good shape. That said... both of us are in careers where we could not risk getting quarantined for any length of time due to this whole mess. Also, we were scheduled to be in Grand Turk the day of our 5 year anniversary, and would have been pretty sad if we were turned away (and yes, I know that could happen anyways without this virus mess). 

I called, sat on hold about 90 minutes, and then had everything switched to our new cruise in about half an hour. She applied the FCC while on the phone and then credited us for what we had already paid to the April cruise. Done and done. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DubNHub said:

I just cancelled our April 25 cruise on the Breeze. I’m not at all scared of the virus, I think the hype is ridiculous and harmful. My wife and I are in our mid 30s and mostly in good shape. That said... both of us are in careers where we could not risk getting quarantined for any length of time due to this whole mess. Also, we were scheduled to be in Grand Turk the day of our 5 year anniversary, and would have been pretty sad if we were turned away (and yes, I know that could happen anyways without this virus mess). 

I called, sat on hold about 90 minutes, and then had everything switched to our new cruise in about half an hour. She applied the FCC while on the phone and then credited us for what we had already paid to the April cruise. Done and done. 

So sorry you had to cancel your anniversary trip.  I can hear your disappointment in your post.  We cancelled our April 25th panorama trip for same reason - husband didn't want to risk being quarantined for 2 weeks & miss work.  Said he saw earlier tonight the line to get back on a ship at some island was insane because they were checking people.  Chances of the Breeze not being able to go to GT are high or you would spend the whole trip taking your temp & sanitizing your hands.     

Maybe you can plan something special for your anniversary at home - a little staycation with Margaritas & Caribbean music & start planning your make up cruise & all the future anniversary cruises you will share 😉

• Like 2

I'm not very worried about the cruise itself but rather what we may come back to.  I'm concerned that we may not be permitted to disembark.  If so, and we have to anchor and wait or go to another port how will that work?  If we anchor how will the ship restock (or will they)?  What's currently the situation?  Anybody know?

7 hours ago, RTR 21-0 said:

So sorry you had to cancel your anniversary trip.  I can hear your disappointment in your post.  We cancelled our April 25th panorama trip for same reason - husband didn't want to risk being quarantined for 2 weeks & miss work.  Said he saw earlier tonight the line to get back on a ship at some island was insane because they were checking people.  Chances of the Breeze not being able to go to GT are high or you would spend the whole trip taking your temp & sanitizing your hands.     

Maybe you can plan something special for your anniversary at home - a little staycation with Margaritas & Caribbean music & start planning your make up cruise & all the future anniversary cruises you will share 😉

Thanks for the kind words! We are bummed... but it’s ok! We are looking at doing a short land vacation to make up for it. But we re-booked on the brand new Mardi Gras for Jan 16... which is right in the middle of both our birthdays and will be a nice break after all the holiday craziness. Hopefully the Mardi Gras won’t face any more delays and we won’t have to reschedule that one too! 

Simply stated, this was coming without regard to who sits in the oval office.

That said, I think that most reasonable people would agree that the "curve" that we'll experience will not be as flat as it would have been in the absence of clear cutting  many federal agencies. That only compounded the last couple+ decades of not properly funding them to begin with.

We should care less about the unbounded performance of the stock market at the cost of regulations meant to protect people and the environment (GREED)

These are facts, though in these times, they seem to be ever more "inconvenient".

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

That said, I think that most reasonable people would agree that the "curve" that we'll experience will not be as flat as it would have been in the absence of clear cutting  many federal agencies. That only compounded the last couple+ decades of not properly funding them to begin with.

We should care less about the unbounded performance of the stock market at the cost of regulations meant to protect people and the environment (GREED)

These are facts, though in these times, they seem to be ever more "inconvenient".

Well said, We Floridians hear the 'ying/yang' every hurricane season!

Those who say when a hurricane tracking towards them say,

'I'm outta here', others say 'I'm not going anywhere'!

Sometime the hurricane is devastating, sometimes its nothing, but your decision doesn't affect others, it only affects you! 

With a disease like this, the experts say you can be infected, passing this virus to others 14 days before you'll show signs! So its not just you!

Who wants to cancel a cruise you're looking forward to,,,no one!

We're cruisers, we take at least 30-60 days a year cruising, 2 years ago we spent over 120 days cruising, so backing off right now is a big change for us!

We're also healthy, so yea its tough, but we feel its the responsible thing to do! We have friends and family who are vulnerable!

But we'll overcome our temporary disappointment with the knowledge that there will be future cruises when this virus dies off, and likely at some great prices, so its not all doom and gloom!

We booked a round trip trans Atlantic next year as a reward to ourselves for our patience right now! 

Whatever you decide, 'Hoping You'll All Be Well', 'Keep Those Around You Safe', cruising will survive, and come back stronger then ever! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DubNHub said:

Thanks for the kind words! We are bummed... but it’s ok! We are looking at doing a short land vacation to make up for it. But we re-booked on the brand new Mardi Gras for Jan 16... which is right in the middle of both our birthdays and will be a nice break after all the holiday craziness. Hopefully the Mardi Gras won’t face any more delays and we won’t have to reschedule that one too! 

You're young, there's plenty of time for some great future cruises!

Congrats, and be well!

Morning everyone!  I've been reading the posts on here the past couple of days.  We are cruising on the Magic May 9th and have no plans of cancelling.  We have been planning this cruise for well over a year to celebrate our 30th anniversary (which was in Feb).  It was posted on our social media roll call that Princess was "pausing" its operations for 60 days.  Does anyone this that Carnival will follow suit?

3 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Well said Tom

2 minutes ago, Terab85 said:

Morning everyone!  I've been reading the posts on here the past couple of days.  We are cruising on the Magic May 9th and have no plans of cancelling.  We have been planning this cruise for well over a year to celebrate our 30th anniversary (which was in Feb).  It was posted on our social media roll call that Princess was "pausing" its operations for 60 days.  Does anyone this that Carnival will follow suit?

As of yesterday I would have said absolutely not, today...who knows.  Very fluid situation, if they do suspend, it has dire consequences.  Royal is extraordinarily quiet lately.  

1 hour ago, AmBear said:

Well said, We Floridians hear the 'ying/yang' every hurricane season!

Those who say when a hurricane tracking towards them say,

'I'm outta here', others say 'I'm not going anywhere'!

Sometime the hurricane is devastating, sometimes its nothing, but your decision doesn't affect others, it only affects you! 

With a disease like this, the experts say you can be infected, passing this virus to others 14 days before you'll show signs! So its not just you!

Who wants to cancel a cruise you're looking forward to,,,no one!

We're cruisers, we take at least 30-60 days a year cruising, 2 years ago we spent over 120 days cruising, so backing off right now is a big change for us!

We're also healthy, so yea its tough, but we feel its the responsible thing to do! We have friends and family who are vulnerable!

But we'll overcome our temporary disappointment with the knowledge that there will be future cruises when this virus dies off, and likely at some great prices, so its not all doom and gloom!

We booked a round trip trans Atlantic next year as a reward to ourselves for our patience right now! 

Whatever you decide, 'Hoping You'll All Be Well', 'Keep Those Around You Safe', cruising will survive, and come back stronger then ever! 

I hear ya, I lived in Florida 26 years and have my future retirement home there. It’s always a tough decision whether to evacuate for a hurricane. I do think some of the differences regarding whether to go on the cruise have to do with our different perspectives and lifestyles (talking from a virus POV, not quarantine). I live in the DC area, work at the Pentagon. I am always around international folks and large groups (30,000 of us at the Pentagon use the same CVS, go to the same Popeyes/Starbucks/etc.) Costco is always a mad house and definitely an international scene. I don’t feel my exposure would be that much different, and that will likely be the case for all of the U.S. very soon if not already. I think we should be more focused on protecting those most at risk of serious illness vs. a one size fits all approach that could diminish the protection of those most vulnerable. Here a few good articles I found (yes, I’m sure we are all finding articles that confirm our biases!) :

https://slate.com/technology/2020/03/coronavirus-mortality-rate-lower-than-we-think.html

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2002387

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HxFx said:

...Here a few good articles I found (yes, I’m sure we are all finding articles that confirm our biases!) :

I'm all in for "better" news. 

I have a quick round trip flight up to DC next weekend. I've been watching seat availability on that flight for the last couple of weeks. In first class, I'm now the only seat booked out of 20. There were a few more booked, but I guess they've cancelled. If I thought I'd have all that space open around me, that would be ideal - but I'm sure that there are plenty of folks in coach chomping at the bit for those other 19 seats!

I wonder if airlines are making any efforts, especially with less crowded flights, to space people out when possible?

Tom

35 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

As of yesterday I would have said absolutely not, today...who knows.  Very fluid situation, if they do suspend, it has dire consequences.  Royal is extraordinarily quiet lately.  

I'm wondering if Princess is suspending their cruises for 60 years because they cater more to the "mature" cruisers?  I worry about the staff on those ships.  I know they rely on gratuities for income.  All the hotels that people book at before/after their cruises.  This is going to suck for the hospitality industry.