To use or not to use public toilets on board.

chabad

33 minutes ago, ducklite said:

I have no problem reminding someone who is leaving a restroom directly from a stall without washing their hands that they "forgot something."

Ā 

I have no problem ignoring comments from self-appointed toilet monitors.Ā Ā 

38 minutes ago, ducklite said:

I have no problem reminding someone who is leaving a restroom directly from a stall without washing their hands that they "forgot something."

Old joke: Ā 

Ā 

Sailor:Ā (to a Marine leaving the head without washing his hands): Ā In the navy we learn to wash our hands after using the urinal.

Ā 

Marine: In the marines we learn not to pee on our hands. Ā šŸ˜€šŸ˜€šŸ˜€

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

What if all the stalls are in use ?

That is a contingency you should have contemplated upon first entering the bathroom - and you should thenĀ put into effect your Plan B - using the supply of paper towels you always carry inĀ your pocket, or Plan C - finding another bathroom.

Ā 

I youĀ cruise unprepared, you must be prepared for problems.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

What if all the stalls are in use ?

Then you are doomed to stand there helplessly drip drying until some good Samaritan opens the door for you. Or someone exits a stall. Whichever comes first.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mom says said:

Then you are doomed to stand there helplessly drip drying until some good Samaritan opens the door for you. Or someone exits a stall. Whichever comes first.

I worked with a guy who never dried his hands.He shook the water off.He felt that the drying of his hands caused damage to his skin .

We all have quirks.

Ā 

Ā 

5 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

How often do they have occasion to bring up the issue in the first place?

Ā 

It hasn't happened so far.Ā  In public toilets I do my business and mind my own business.Ā  Self-appointed toilet monitors should do the same.Ā 

Ā 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

After you wash your hands with soap and water and get them clean you have to shut the faucet which is not clean.

On my last cruise I only went to a public restroom twice ,it was a 14 day cruise.

i bring 3-5 bottles of Purell from home.

when was the last time you saw a faucet on a cruise ship in a public bathroom that wasnā€™t automatic?

Ā 

also purell isnā€™t effective against any virus just FYI.Ā 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steelers0854 said:

when was the last time you saw a faucet on a cruise ship in a public bathroom that wasnā€™t automatic?

Ā 

also purell isnā€™t effective against any virus just FYI.Ā 

In the words of Joe Greene ā€œanything is possible on any given dayā€.

I have not been on every ship on the seas and therefore not in every bathroom.

I have been using Purell on every cruise I have been on since the product became available and I have yet to become sick on a cruise.I also take Purell with me to restaurants,theaters,etc,

We've been off the grid so I'll admit that I've not read all these replies. But I've often wondered if hand washing is to keep the 'hand washer' from transmitting cooties to others rather than the 'hand washer' getting cooties from other. ?

16 minutes ago, clo said:

We've been off the grid so I'll admit that I've not read all these replies. But I've often wondered if hand washing is to keep the 'hand washer' from transmitting cooties to others rather than the 'hand washer' getting cooties from other. ?

I just did a little research and, yes, you're supposed to wash to protect others. That's all that makes sense, right?

7 hours ago, K32682 said:

Ā 

I have no problem ignoring comments from self-appointed toilet monitors.Ā Ā 

Ā 

1 hour ago, K32682 said:

Ā 

It hasn't happened so far.Ā  In public toilets I do my business and mind my own business.Ā  Self-appointed toilet monitors should do the same.Ā 

Ā 

How do you ignore comments which havenā€™t been made?

18 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Ā 

How do you ignore comments which havenā€™t been made?

Ā 

Sufficient experience with bothersome busy bodies in other situations to know what my initial response would be.Ā 

Ā 

When in the toilet are you inclined toward casting furtive glances at other people's hands and correcting anyone who doesn't meet your hygiene standards?Ā Ā 

22 minutes ago, K32682 said:

Ā 

Sufficient experience with bothersome busy bodies in other situations to know what my initial response would be.Ā 

Ā 

When in the toilet are you inclined toward casting furtive glances at other people's hands and correcting anyone who doesn't meet your hygiene standards?Ā Ā 

No ā€œfurtive glancesā€ are required to notice some vulgar slob who fails to observe basic and generally acceptedĀ (not simply mine) hygiene standards. Ā And, anyĀ responsible person will speak up in circumstances where indicated.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

No ā€œfurtive glancesā€ are required to notice some vulgar slob who fails to observe basic and generally acceptedĀ (not simply mine) hygiene standards. Ā And, anyĀ responsible person will speak up in circumstances where indicated.

Ā 

And when you do speak up and are ignored then what?Ā Ā 

Last year was a study done at airports and in airplanes and they found in that usually the cleanest places was the public toilet, probably because they are constantly cleaned. I would think cruise ships clean the public toilets incessantly and if people are deliberately avoiding them then they are most likely the cleaner parts of the shipšŸ˜›. It is a bit like how most people avoid the first stall assuming it is the most used therefore the dirtiest but because everyone trys to avoid using it, it becomes under utilized and therefore the cleanestšŸ˜†.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, K32682 said:

Ā 

And when you do speak up and are ignored then what?Ā Ā 

I have yet to encounter the sort of schlub who was so confidently entrenchedĀ in his slovenliness that he ignored a courteous reminder about the normal, civilized practice of washing his hands after relieving himself in a public bathroom.

Ā 

I suppose, however, that such a dismal person might still be encountered. Ā I might be tempted to follow him out of the bathroom- continuing the reminder so that others present might be aware of the sort of person they were travelling with - Iā€™ll have to see.