To use or not to use public toilets on board.

chabad

Here's what I occasionally see in the public bathrooms:

1)  Saw an Asian woman coughing up phlegm into the sink and spitting it into the sink.  She then took a paper towel and wiped up the phlegm then wiped the counter and faucet off with the phlegm paper towel.  I asked her W T F are you doing?  I reported it to a steward in the buffet.  The public restroom was located right outside the buffet.

2)  Watch who comes out of the toilet stall and bypasses the sink and goes right out into the public venues.

This isn't public restroom, but should be treated like it was - the buffet.  Sit and watch how many are licking their fingers then they go back into the buffet touching the serving spoons, salt and pepper shakers, etc.  Watch people eating in the buffet line while serving themselves and licking their fingers along the way.  BTW, sit with strangers at a table in the MDR and see who licks their fingers at the table.  /just saying

Edited by elliair
clarity

We sail on small ships and it's never more than a couple minutes to our cabin, so I go back there.

As others have said, I'm more worried about Norovirus  than Corona when it comes to toilets.  I wash my hands for a full 60 seconds, including lathering twice and cleaning under nails.  I've had Noro once and believe it came from a restaurant worker improperly handling food or utensils.  

The best thing you can do to avoid Corona is to stay at least an arms length from other people and to complete avoid anyone with symptoms of respiratory illness.

I have never had a problem using the public restrooms on any cruise that I have taken.  Yes, I am obssessive about washing my hands when we are on a cruise

Also, on our most recent cruise, I had plenty of incentive to use the public restrooms for about 15 hours because the toilet in our cabin stopped working.  It is, probably, no surprise to veteran cruisers to hear that 20-30 additional cabins adjacent to ours had a similar problem.  Apparently, many people who use a product called personal wipes believe that the fact that these things are purported to be "disposable" means they can flush them down their cabin toilet.  Well, maybe that gets them out of sight, but these wipes, then, clog up the ship's plumbing.  The next day, our steward left a "tent" notice in our cabin's bathroom reiterating the only things that can be flushed (specifically, #1, #2, and ship-supplied T.P.) and what should, absolutely, not be flushed--wipes were emphsized.  I first learned about this problem with the wipes a couple years ago when I went on a Princess Ultimate Ship's Tour and the Chief Engineer railed about this being one of the major repetitive problems that his staff had to contend with.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

I have never had a problem using the public restrooms on any cruise that I have taken.  Yes, I am obssessive about washing my hands when we are on a cruise

Also, on our most recent cruise, I had plenty of incentive to use the public restrooms for about 15 hours because the toilet in our cabin stopped working.  It is, probably, no surprise to veteran cruisers to hear that 20-30 additional cabins adjacent to ours had a similar problem.  Apparently, many people who use a product called personal wipes believe that the fact that these things are purported to be "disposable" means they can flush them down their cabin toilet.  Well, maybe that gets them out of sight, but these wipes, then, clog up the ship's plumbing.  The next day, our steward left a "tent" notice in our cabin's bathroom reiterating the only things that can be flushed (specifically, #1, #2, and ship-supplied T.P.) and what should, absolutely, not be flushed--wipes were emphsized.  I first learned about this problem with the wipes a couple years ago when I went on a Princess Ultimate Ship's Tour and the Chief Engineer railed about this being one of the major repetitive problems that his staff had to contend with.

And for those who have a medical need for wet wipes or females with personal needs to dispose of hygiene items, the steward will happily provide your with plastic sanitary bags for this purpose.  You can also use disposable diaper bags if you don't want to ask.  The trash gets emptied twice daily, so you don't need to worry about odor.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, chabad said:

Could be. But what is wrong with using the Purell. The main ingredient is alcohol. Nothing wrong with that.

I see in the reports that Purell is not effective against this virus.

Edited by JMorris271
spelling

9 hours ago, chabad said:

Having a random family discussion and would love to hear everyone's thoughts on would you or would you not use public toilets based off of what's going on with this coronavirus?

OMG can't believe you are even asking this !!!

No No no no no no !

People are absolutely disgusting with their hygiene esp many of the "old boys"

We always go back to cabin no matter where we happen to be on the ship, no matter what time.  No question.

This has nothing at all to do with Coronavirus either.

Whilst there are lots of ways of picking up bugs like Norovirus, touching handrails, lift buttons etc, visiting public toilets and using the "Smash 'N' Grab" buffet area are probably the worse 2 risks.

Yes you should wash your hands very well and often regardless but no, I don't recommend ever using public toilets.

I rarely use public bathrooms on a cruise ship

but I'm not afraid or reluctant to do so.

Then again, I'm a man so I'm less fussy, scornful, etc.

Use your head, wash your hands,

and use paper on the door handle on the way out, if need be.

Just heed the sign!

!Just Wash yer hands.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KnowTheScore said:

No No no no no no !

We always go back to cabin no matter where we happen to be on the ship, no matter what time.  No question.

Whilst there are lots of ways of picking up bugs like Norovirus, touching handrails, lift buttons etc, visiting public toilets and using the "Smash 'N' Grab" buffet area are probably the worse 2 risks.

Yes you should wash your hands very well and often regardless but no, I don't recommend ever using public toilets.

Now I understand all your other posts!

Our hygiene habits are exactly the same on a cruise or any vacation as they are at home or work. Use whatever bathroom is convenient—sometimes that is a port-a-potty—and then wash your hands. Wash hands when preparing food or after working in the garden. I have never hesitated to use a handrail, push an elevator button, eat at a buffet, or open a door with my hands. And I worked for 45 years in a hospital. Haven’t been sick in at least 20 years.

• Like 2

On my first two cruises in 1972 I had no choice but to use public toilets;  there was a sink in my cabin, but no toilet or shower.  The next year it was a luxury to sail on Oceanic and have an en-suite bath...  EM

If I could manage to survive the public toilets in India, I think I can manage at least as well with the public toilets which are cleaned multiple times per day on the ship. Common sense personal hygiene is all that I've ever needed, and I've never gotten sick on a cruise. But if it makes people think they are safer to scuttle all the way back  to their cabins, then they should do just that. Oh, and don't even think about drinking anything before or during any shore excursions.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Steelers0854 said:

I’m much more worried about the norovirus than the coronavirus.  

Why? 

How many norovirus fatalaties have have you heard of?

I got norovirus once - two days - one of which I spent on or near the toilet;  not pleasant, but certainly capable of being handled.

5 hours ago, KnowTheScore said:

No No no no no no !

Out of curiosity - do you (or did you) work and use the office restroom?  Do you ever use the restroom in restaurants, airports, gas stations, stores, etc.?  Because you can get noro from offices, restaurants, airports/planes, gas stations, stores, etc.

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Why? 

How many norovirus fatalaties have have you heard of?

I got norovirus once - two days - one of which I spent on or near the toilet;  not pleasant, but certainly capable of being handled.

Plenty of diseases out there that can kill you, but none as prevalent on a cruise ship as norovirus, which is probably the most likely thing you will catch onboard. So by deduction, if you’re taking steps not to catch noro you likely aren’t going to catch corona. 

There are relatively few people on the planet that have the coronavirus at this moment so statistically a pretty low chance in catching it. So yes, I’m more concerned about noro.