Cunard's Coronavirus Cancellations/Refunds (Merged threads)

LittleFish1976

11 minutes ago, siforest65 said:

I agree and working in the travel industry myself fully sympathise and would happily accept a fcc. What I don’t like though are the terms that Cunard are imposing that means I will be significantly worse off (lose $600 OBC from booking onboard straight away).

I agree that not being able to transfer obc seems deeply silly. But, in the general scheme of things, there seems no point being too upset about it. I think getting enraged only makes one feel worse in the long run...

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, siforest65 said:

I agree and working in the travel industry myself fully sympathise and would happily accept a fcc. What I don’t like though are the terms that Cunard are imposing that means I will be significantly worse off (lose $600 OBC from booking onboard straight away).

Ask for the onboard booking deposit converted into a FCD

Who knows?  Worth a try?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IB2 said:

You are missing the point; no-one is asking you to give money to the companies.

It is simply that the companies don't have enough cash flow to refund all their customers in cash right now.  Just as your bank doesn't have enough money for all its customers to withdraw it at once.

If people are patient about refunds or willing to accept future credit, the companies have a better chance of making it through to 2021 when hopefully cruising can resume, if with new restrictions.  If everyone wants their money right away, the companies may collapse and some people could lose their money (certainly future credits become worthless) or, at best, have a long wait while liquidators do their business and governments consider whether to step in.

if they want to keep our money then perhaps they need to look at more incentives. P&O has offered 200% FCC for those who have had their cruises cancelled.  That incentive I would accept.  With the recent changes in exchange rates the £ to $ has dropped by about 10% . I am worse off now than I was when I paid for the cruise. Cunard fares are initially in $ and we then pay in £ based on the exchange rates. If the pound does not bounce back then the cruise costs will go up as well as what I spend on the ship. 

4 minutes ago, KetoCruiser said:

if they want to keep our money then perhaps they need to look at more incentives. P&O has offered 200% FCC for those who have had their cruises cancelled.  That incentive I would accept.  With the recent changes in exchange rates the £ to $ has dropped by about 10% . I am worse off now than I was when I paid for the cruise. Cunard fares are initially in $ and we then pay in £ based on the exchange rates. If the pound does not bounce back then the cruise costs will go up as well as what I spend on the ship. 

I think it's fair to say that everyone is worse off now, in a number of ways, than when they paid for their cruises. That is the nature of the emergency. Unless perhaps they own loo roll factories.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I agree that not being able to transfer obc seems deeply silly. But, in the general scheme of things, there seems no point being too upset about it. I think getting enraged only makes one feel worse in the long run...

No point getting upset. I would probably book a short cruise to get onboard and then book using fcc. In fact we are due on QM2 in November to Bruges so could do that anyway.

14 minutes ago, KetoCruiser said:

if they want to keep our money then perhaps they need to look at more incentives. P&O has offered 200% FCC for those who have had their cruises cancelled.  That incentive I would accept.  

What's your source? P&O's web site says 125% and there's no obvious sign of it being anything else in the conversations on CC's P&O UK forum (or elsewhere).

I believe we all should be entitled to a full refund for service not delivered. 

We can be selective how we exercise this.

I will demand a full refund from carnival  a big corporation that can have access to other sources of funds to keep it alive. Even if Carnival goes into liquidation the ships will not disappear cruise industry will start up up under other owners.

Conversely,  have paid deposits with a couple of small family owned UK hotels for short breaks. I will be happy to accept credit notes from these.

But it must be the consumer's choice depending on individual circumstances 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, kentchris said:

What's your source? P&O's web site says 125% and there's no obvious sign of it being anything else in the conversations on CC's P&O UK forum (or elsewhere).

3 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

I thought P&O had reduced their offer to 110% FCC

I am on roll call for our upcoming cruise around Australia and one of the Australians posted a copy of the offer, perhaps it’s P& O Australia.

Anyway our cruise is due to start on 12 April and Cunard has still not cancelled. What I did receive from them today was new cancellation policy as it’s 16 days to the cruise, if I cancel today I will get 25% refund and 75% fcc, if I cancel tomorrow I get 10% refund and 90% fcc. If I cancel less than48 hours I get nothing.

It is impossible for the cruise to go ahead as Australia is shut down except for essential travel.  The interstate movement requires 14 day isolation period and foreign travellers cannot enter the country. All are pubs and restaurants are closed, so why won’t Cunard do the decent thing and just cancel the cruise.  

9 minutes ago, KetoCruiser said:

I am on roll call for our upcoming cruise around Australia and one of the Australians posted a copy of the offer, perhaps it’s P& O Australia.

Anyway our cruise is due to start on 12 April and Cunard has still not cancelled. What I did receive from them today was new cancellation policy as it’s 16 days to the cruise, if I cancel today I will get 25% refund and 75% fcc, if I cancel tomorrow I get 10% refund and 90% fcc. If I cancel less than48 hours I get nothing.

It is impossible for the cruise to go ahead as Australia is shut down except for essential travel.  The interstate movement requires 14 day isolation period and foreign travellers cannot enter the country. All are pubs and restaurants are closed, so why won’t Cunard do the decent thing and just cancel the cruise.  

That’s scandalous. There is no way they can operate this cruise. Are your flights still available? Even if you could get there you have to self isolate for 14 days.

They want to push you to the limit so they can give you nothing.

So sorry to hear this. Hope they cancel and do the right thing.

Our cruise Cape Town to Southampton was cancelled by Cunard.

Today I received a Cancellation Invoice showing the full amount we had paid. 

There were no details about what we should do. 

Should I contact Cunard to discuss refund or FCC or will they contact us again later to go through our options?

Thanks.

2 hours ago, longton said:

Should I contact Cunard to discuss refund or FCC or will they contact us again later to go through our options?

Thanks.

I was on the same cruise,  and have not recieved the cancellation invoice you mentioned, all I had was the cancellation letter 3 weeks ago that only mentioned FCC .  Never had a link to the refund form from Cunard, but thanks to this forum I filled in the refund form , misleadingly called forfeit of FCC, and asked for a full refund a week ago. If you want a refund just Google cunard forfeit of future cruise credit .

If you want FCC no need to do anything 

On 3/26/2020 at 3:36 PM, exlondoner said:

Ah, someone else in favour of a wider perspective, but I fear we are very much a minority.

I totally agree with forbearance. Unfortunately very little is set out in writing to confirm what has been agreed at different stages of the past two weeks. I have been told via a call to Cunard that I will get a full refund for having to cancel my QV 16 March cruise because of the UK government over 70 cruise ban but something in writing will be reassuring.

Edited by Clagmeister

4 hours ago, longton said:

Thanks.

What date was your cruise supposed to sail?

I did not hear and have not read a transcript of the Carnival CEO's interview on TV last Sunday, but according to a Washington Post article today, he "said that although he hoped the outbreak would not last forever, the company had to plan as if it will continue all year."

Perhaps a US securities regulation expert or stock analyst among us (I'm not one) can keep an eye out for new SEC filings by Carnival, which should tell us what they really think may happen down the road.

1 hour ago, Neuhoftraveler said:

I did not hear and have not read a transcript of the Carnival CEO's interview on TV last Sunday, but according to a Washington Post article today, he "said that although he hoped the outbreak would not last forever, the company had to plan as if it will continue all year."

Perhaps a US securities regulation expert or stock analyst among us (I'm not one) can keep an eye out for new SEC filings by Carnival, which should tell us what they really think may happen down the road.

On 20 March Carnival issued and sold nearly 8 million shares to Bank of Norway no doubt to improve liquidity. They also referred to Covid-19 in their first quarter report to the SEC and indicated that they could not predict the impact of the corona virus on their results at this time, and that many factors were involved. No mention of refunds or future cruise deposits. 

2 hours ago, Neuhoftraveler said:

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/financial-information/sec-filings/all/

Edited by samiam1

Carnival Still Isn’t Sure if It Will Continue Its Cruise Halt

The cruise titan will announce its decision this Friday. Says the Motley Fool investments website.

However, it seems there won't be an update until Monday.

56 minutes ago, Ray66 said:

Carnival Still Isn’t Sure if It Will Continue Its Cruise Halt

The cruise titan will announce its decision this Friday. Says the Motley Fool investments website.

However, it seems there won't be an update until Monday.

Where exactly would they cruise too? China? And remember it is now Fall in the Southern hemisphere and temperatures are dropping which supposedly spread COVID 19.