Is HAL checking passenger temperatures during embarkation yet?

kangforpres

24 minutes ago, kangforpres said:

We will be boarding the Niew Standendam in 3 weeks. I know you can have no fever or symptoms and still be incubating and contagious. And anyone can lie on their health questionnaire.

Thanks, 

Paul

Here's what I found online. https://www.10news.com/news/local-news/holland-america-cruise-line-takes-coronavirus-precautions-ahead-of-ships-san-diego-arrival-and-departure

• Thanks 1

Holland America said they have implemented these safety measures:

• Guests who have traveled from or through mainland China, Hong Kong, or Macau, or had contact with a suspected or confirmed case of novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) or a person who is under monitoring for coronavirus in the last 14 days prior to sailing will not be permitted to board the ship.
  • Pre-Boarding medical evaluations, including temperature checks, for persons whom, for any reason, appear or identify as symptomatic (respiratory or fever symptoms); and
  • For all guests, our standard pre-boarding health reporting advising of their reporting obligations for any illness or symptoms of an illness.
  • Medical screening for Coronavirus on all guests who visit our onboard Medical Center with symptoms of any respiratory illness.
  • Reporting to local and national health authorities of all cases of fever and respiratory illness, and any patients with suspected Coronavirus infection.
  • Crew members from mainland China will be delayed from joining any ship until further notice. Crew members from other regions of the world who may have been scheduled to connect on flights through China have been rerouted.
  • Additional environmental disinfection onboard will be performed in addition to our regular stringent cleaning and sanitation protocols.

Holland America noted that their implemented measures could change at any time based on “the interests of health and safety of our guests and crew as well as any other requirements that may be imposed by local authorities.”

• Like 1

We're boarding Eurodam next Sunday (2-16) in FLL so we'll be finding out soon enough.  We hope they are not only as thorough as possible at embarkation but we would not be opposed to them implementing Code Orange throughout the duration of the 31 days we're on board.  After we watched upper respiratory illness AND then Noro spread through Noordam during our 40 day cruise this past fall (the Noro was traced to those who boarded in Sydney), we're much in favor of a little inconvenience if it helps keep things at bay.  (Hi, @Iris5383 - hope you guys are doing well!)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, esimon said:

omg    stop the fear mongering --  please stay home if you are that concerned  - LOL

I tend to agree with you as more people die each year in the USA from the common flu' virus.  I would suggest; however, that anyone traveling should always take out cancellation and health insurance.  The insurance is common sense these days.  With billions of folk living on our planet, and so many travelling by air or sea, it is no wonder that unknown viruses spread quite quickly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dunelm said:

I tend to agree with you as more people die each year in the USA from the common flu' virus. 

Do you have any idea what is the fatality rate from he common flu?

The fatality rate from the Wuhan coronavirus appears to be 2-3%. Calculate the death toll in the States alone if the disease is not stopped in its tracks. Fortunately, it's not the MERS disease with a fatality rate of 37%.

I have s short summary here in Post 95...

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2732463-cruises-starting-in-hong-kong-still-offered/?tab=comments#comment-59349717

I hope that none of us have to undergo the Diamond Princess experience. 

I'm not fear mongering. Corona Virus may turn into the pandemic that has been really over due for Humans on Earth since the 1918/19 Spanish flu.

The CDC estimates that 22 Million have had the seasonal flu so far this year. 220k had to be hospitalized and 12k have died. I don't want any of them on my cruise either. 

All over the world, international travelers are being screened to see if they have a fever, I'm just wondering if the cruise industry is doing to try and keep their customers safe.

• Like 1

If a total of 10 million worldwide get Corona we can expect 20-30k deaths. That would be a significant impact on the world's economy, especially travel and tourism. No one has gone to work or school in China for 2 whole weeks, that will change on Monday and we will see if Corona starts to spread faster.

37 minutes ago, kangforpres said:

If a total of 10 million worldwide get Corona we can expect 20-30k deaths. That would be a significant impact on the world's economy, especially travel and tourism. No one has gone to work or school in China for 2 whole weeks, that will change on Monday and we will see if Corona starts to spread faster.

Hmmmm

At a 2-3% fatality rate, 10 million infected would mean 200-300k fatalities. 

1 hour ago, kangforpres said:

Nobody has gone to work in the main area around Wujan...not China wide. China is a very large country.

20-30k deaths would be about the same percentage mortality as for flu in the US...come on people, take a breath. Ships sailing from the US are not being banned from countries. 

And currently, in the US, we have 12 cases...with no new ones for a couple of days, and no deaths. Why should we be taking temperatures for cruisers in US ports...unless they have recently traveled from Asia, or been in close intimate contact with people who have traveled from Asia. Note the only spread in the US is between spouses. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, zelker said:

We're boarding Eurodam next Sunday (2-16) in FLL so we'll be finding out soon enough.  We hope they are not only as thorough as possible at embarkation but we would not be opposed to them implementing Code Orange throughout the duration of the 31 days we're on board.  After we watched upper respiratory illness AND then Noro spread through Noordam during our 40 day cruise this past fall (the Noro was traced to those who boarded in Sydney), we're much in favor of a little inconvenience if it helps keep things at bay.  (Hi, @Iris5383 - hope you guys are doing well!)

What's Code Orange?

Let's be cool. Don't be angry with each other.

This is a situation where danger is present. Danger generates fear. People respond to fear in different ways.

For me, I react to danger with analysis. The numbers help me understand the problem. I make rational decisions with this knowledge.

At the other extreme, some will prefer to dismiss the danger. “Its a small problem.” “Not here, not now”. “Don't bother me with it!”

Either approach is viable. In the end, it is in the hands of the gods. Chance decides whether it will be your problem. Infantry soldiers talk about the 'bullet with your name on it'.

On this forum, let's try to do our own thing without antagonizing the other camp. Let's not be overly alarmist. That's not cool. But, we should also not stifle discussion of the situation.

At any time, you can post your comments. Always ask yourself whether your contribution adds value? Or merely adds fire?

Intelligent questions are always welcome.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

And currently, in the US, we have 12 cases...with no new ones for a couple of days, and no deaths. Why should we be taking temperatures for cruisers in US ports...unless they have recently traveled from Asia, or been in close intimate contact with people who have traveled from Asia. Note the only spread in the US is between spouses. 

Actually, there are quite a number of communicable respiratory diseases. I wouldn't mind if they permanently added an additional screening process at embarkation. 

After all, the ship has a doctor and a nurse. They could be stationed to welcome guests on embarkation. For pax, this could be a free quick consultation.

12 hours ago, TeanneTX said:

What's Code Orange?

This is a term that HAL used to describe procedures on the first few days of a cruise. When the Lido was mostly self-serve, it was the most likely way Noro would spread. So for the first few days of a cruise, food in the Lido would all be served to you, reducing the chance of a Noro outbreak from somebody who had boarded during the Noro incubation period. It's the same thing they would do in the Lido for a Code Red. Openings you would reach through to get food would be blocked with plastic wrap. Imagine a buffet line wrapped in Saran wrap and that's what Code Orange was. 

Now there is very little self-serve food at the Lido so they don't do the Code Orange any more. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Actually, there are quite a number of communicable respiratory diseases. I wouldn't mind if they permanently added an additional screening process at embarkation. 

After all, the ship has a doctor and a nurse. They could be stationed to welcome guests on embarkation. For pax, this could be a free quick consultation.

How do you envision this screening taking place? Are they going to look in the nose and throat of every passenger? Take everyone's temperature? 

If it's going to be an option--if you feel ill please step over here--that's not going to work. People will stifle their coughs and walk by.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

How do you envision this screening taking place? Are they going to look in the nose and throat of every passenger? Take everyone's temperature? 

If it's going to be an option--if you feel ill please step over here--that's not going to work. People will stifle their coughs and walk by.

Contactless temperature readings. As well as a visual inspection. Doesn't have to be every cruise. Just for the periods with outbreaks.

It would substantially reduce the mistrust I feel for joining large groups of people.

Edited by HappyInVan

14 hours ago, kangforpres said:

I'm not fear mongering. Corona Virus may turn into the pandemic that has been really over due for Humans on Earth since the 1918/19 Spanish flu.

This statement 'Corona Virus may turn into the pandemic..' is the very definition of fear-mongering.

You are attempting to terrify people with  a hypothetical situation.

22 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

This is a term that HAL used to describe procedures on the first few days of a cruise. When the Lido was mostly self-serve, it was the most likely way Noro would spread. So for the first few days of a cruise, food in the Lido would all be served to you, reducing the chance of a Noro outbreak from somebody who had boarded during the Noro incubation period. It's the same thing they would do in the Lido for a Code Red. Openings you would reach through to get food would be blocked with plastic wrap. Imagine a buffet line wrapped in Saran wrap and that's what Code Orange was. 

Now there is very little self-serve food at the Lido so they don't do the Code Orange any more. 

They may not do it at the beginning of a cruise (unless the ship has just had a noro outbreak) but during our 40 days on Noordam in October/November when we had an insane number of people with upper respiratory ailments and then noro started after we embarked more than half the ship in Australia and infected 25%+ of pax and crew, we had Code Orange and then almost immediately went to Code Red (condiments, tableware/napkins, glasses, etc. were removed from tables, no self-serving beverages, completely Saran Wrapped the Lido stations, stopped putting out the taco bar by the pool, pretty much anything we are used to doing for ourselves when it comes to food and beverage was handled by crew).  And sadly we STILL saw people ignoring it as much as they could get away with anyway.  😞  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, zelker said:

Actually, some already did, in the Caribbean

From the story, that was a singular decision based on passengers being sick. That's not the same as a unilateral decision not to accept any cruise ships, though. So far as I know right now, there is no universal ban on cruise ships from the US in this hemisphere. 

• Like 2