Sorry that I read CC reviews about Sirena

tripperva

27 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

I am shocked 😀😀

I am not a sun/pool person so I don’t have that much personal experience. I was referring more to the fact that this did not seem to be as hot a topic of complaints here on CC in the past as it is now.

That made me think that things have changed?

There have always been chair hogs  but in the past 5 yrs  there seem to be more of them

With the mainstream lines cutting back more people are moving up on the cruise ladder  but not upping their manners 😉

4 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

There have always been chair hogs  but in the past 5 yrs  there seem to be more of them

I guess that is the point. If the chair hogs in past would hog 1/3 or even 1/2 of the loungers people would not mind as much. But when the hogs occupy 100% of the loungers, then it’s a problem.

It seems that this is where things stand now much of the time.

Jeeze.  This thread has devolved into a discussion of Chair Hogs, and that has been discussed ad naseaum in various forums for many other cruise lines, as well as OC's.  It's a valid complaint, and Oceania needs to deal with it in a more aggressive fashion, but the Thread Starter asked:

"Cruise Critic reviews for December and January on Sirena were really negative, commenting on engine failures, poor service, food, attitude, etc.

Our previous experience with Oceania was terrific and we have just come off the waitlist for Sirena in an Owners Suite. Can anyone balance the bad reviews with some good comments please ? I hope so."

I don't think Chair Hogs were at the top of the list of concerns.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

I guess that is the point. If the chair hogs in past would hog 1/3 or even 1/2 of the loungers people would not mind as much. But when the hogs occupy 100% of the loungers, then it’s a problem.

It seems that this is where things stand now much of the time.

I'm so glad we hate the sun 🙂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

Jeeze.  This thread has devolved into a discussion of Chair Hogs, and that has been discussed ad naseaum in various forums for many other cruise lines, as well as OC's.  It's a valid complaint, and Oceania needs to deal with it in a more aggressive fashion, but the Thread Starter asked:

"Cruise Critic reviews for December and January on Sirena were really negative, commenting on engine failures, poor service, food, attitude, etc.

Our previous experience with Oceania was terrific and we have just come off the waitlist for Sirena in an Owners Suite. Can anyone balance the bad reviews with some good comments please ? I hope so."

I don't think Chair Hogs were at the top of the list of concerns.

Sorry if I've contributed to the Chair hog talk, I'll say this and then be done. I think the problem is not that there are chairs available, I think it is that "THE" chair is not available. 

• Like 1

As to the OP, in the wine world we have many publications; such as WS, WE, WA, etc,; that rates wide ranges of wine. Even though we may individually question certain ratings, overall they give mostly a fairly accurate assessment of a wine and how it compares with others. If however, one goes to the wineries website they’ll only read how every wine produced is the best ever.

In the travel and cruise industry one finds several of the same type of rating systems employed that provides a larger view of the cruise industry. Condé Nast is an example. If one has overall questions about how an individual line compares and how they are presently doing, that may be a better source of information than coming to a forum such as this. The biases here approach that of the cruise line itself. Just my two cents worth.

Edited by pinotlover

11 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

Jeeze.  This thread has devolved into a discussion of Chair Hogs, and that has been discussed ad naseaum in various forums for many other cruise lines, as well as OC's. 

So when do the threads ever stay on topic ?? LOL

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

So when do the threads ever stay on topic ?? LOL

Never 😊. But that's why it's good to reel the thread back to the topic once in a while...for the OP's sake. (😇 or 😈, take your pick 😁)

• Like 1

I don’t mind the chair-hog discussion.  It seems to be valid. 

I think it is easy for those who do not prefer warm weather cruises to minimize this issue.  There are many who prefer the warm weather, fresh air, cruises.  Often that is the primary desire!   Many times to escape cold Northern Winters.

The number of chairs and the enforcement of policy are crucial.

Yes, I can admit to being one of those “lowly deck people” to be avoided. On my most recent cruises I have been lucky to access the Sanctuary and enjoy ultra-premium space and service.  No caste/status system involved.  (Concierge only...)

From the info info that I have so far it would seem that Oceania really needs to look at this and REALLY up their game. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

From the info info that I have so far it would seem that Oceania really needs to look at this and REALLY up their game. 

it has been going on for years  

but lately the chair hogs are more aggressive if challenged

having a staff member for every  section on the deck would be impossible

they also get drinks, change  the covers on the loungers when people leave  replace the towels  a lot  to do for  a few deck crew  that they have

JMO

Wishing on a Star;

The particular problem of “ chair hogs“ seems to be universal across not only cruise ships but also land based resorts including very high end ones. The practices seem to feed on themselves and only get worst. While I believe that Oceania policing the issue better, as you recommend, would improve matters,  I’m not sure how realistic it is to expect a line that won’t enforce its dress code to enforce a policy in this arena. 

I see the overall issue as being structural with the ships. I have sailed on the Nautica   past Nordkapp into the White Sea in 40 degree F temps and at the equator at 100+. I’ve been on the Marina in the Baltic and in Tahiti and the FP. The size of the pool area and lounger numbers never changes but the demand for such varies tremendously. Particularly on a R ship and somewhat on an O ship, I don’t believe that  supply will ever meet demand for loungers ( either shade or sun) on those warm weather cruises particularly on sea days. The ships aren’t designed that way. 

For us, we have found that the Spa Deck typically remedies thIs problem. Consider that area on your next cruise. Expecting Oceania staff to consistently enforce its policy is truly “ Wishing on a Star”. 🍷

So true to all the above!

And, the way they wrap each lounger that way is demanding.  Necessary???  Hhhhmmmm....

I am not considering a really warm weather cruise.  (Spring port-intensive cruise). But am definitely considering doing whatever we can to access the Spa Terrace on two of the lessor port days.  For the T-Pool as well. Wish one of those were a sea day!

The thing is, IMHO, if they want to make the Spa Terrace exclusive and to cost more,  then it should made to be WORTH it.   I don't know if I am seeing shade, ambience, service, etc...     Compared to some other cruise lines, that seems pretty poor? 

Edited by Wishing on a star

16 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

The thing is, IMHO, if they want to make the Spa Terrace exclusive and to cost more,  then it should made to be WORTH it.   I don't know if I am seeing shade, ambience, service, etc...     Compared to some other cruise lines, that seems pretty poor? 

it is  semi inclusive  only those in Concierge & above go there

We rarely spend much time there  1 hr for us is fine

there is no bar service  or much shade on the O class ships probably due to the location

If you are going to charge extra  for the use  then you need to provide more  amenities to attract the price commanded

JMO

1 hour ago, Wishing on a star said:

So true to all the above!

And, the way they wrap each lounger that way is demanding.  Necessary???  Hhhhmmmm....

I am not considering a really warm weather cruise.  (Spring port-intensive cruise). But am definitely considering doing whatever we can to access the Spa Terrace on two of the lessor port days.  For the T-Pool as well. Wish one of those were a sea day!

I think you're wanting it to be something it's not. It's not really designed to be a "Retreat" or "Sanctuary" like Mass markets ships have for a separate hangout area. It's very telling that there is no bar or food service there. 

On 2/15/2020 at 2:49 PM, ORV said:

I think you're wanting it to be something it's not. It's not really designed to be a "Retreat" or "Sanctuary" like Mass markets ships have for a separate hangout area. It's very telling that there is no bar or food service there. 

+1, and please keep in mind that on this class of ship, the T-Pool is not really a pool at all.

Think glorified hot tub, filled with salt water.

384281463728508.jpg

Certain of the Spa treatments are executed there.

On 2/13/2020 at 6:07 PM, ORV said:

WOw, I guess I've just never traveled on Oceania on these high demand deck days. It's hard to fathom every chair having something on it by 8AM. I'd love to see a picture of that. 

We love Oceania and experienced the same issue with the deck chairs. The deck chair hogs are up early putting towels and stuff to reserve them is an issue on every cruise line. Yes, every line has "rules" but none are ever enforced. We were on Norwegian Bliss and they had the huge screen on the pool deck with the notice about the rules yet it was not enforced either. Most recently , on Holland America, it was the same thing.....reserved by very old people LOL.

I truly believe that chair hogs is the most complained about issue (well, maybe it is food?)

OMG!!!

That sounds interesting.   I would be interested to see that one!!!

I do hope, that unlike other lines, Oceania continues to have fresh berries and fruit, other than the standard unripe melons and pineapple.  I have even seen bananas being held behind the line, only upon request. (uggghhhh!!!)

I have read recent posts by a regular expert here where he mentions the croissants and fresh berries!

This reminds me of the 'butter' threads on the Princess forum.

Ohhh,  yes I was forgetting for a moment that this thread was more specific to Sirena!

Kind of went to discussion about chair hogs and deck space.

I do fully understand exactly what the Spa Terrace actually is.  Wanting something be better, and believing it could and should be better, is not making it out to be something that it simply is not.   

Perhaps Oceania continues to believe that their passenger demographic would not appreciate such a space.

Not sure how they can justify additional cost for an area with no shade, no drinks, no ambiance, no service?

Edited by Wishing on a star

11 hours ago, StanandJim said:

+1, and please keep in mind that on this class of ship, the T-Pool is not really a pool at all.

Think glorified hot tub, filled with salt water.

384281463728508.jpg

Certain of the Spa treatments are executed there.

I love the T-Pool and use it every chance I can.   To the point the chair people find me annoying when I use it on windy and wavy days when it splashes.    My aching joints benefit from the mineralized ocean water.  Luckily the chair people can't cover the pool with towels.  Ha hA

• Haha 1

Currently on Sirena and can report from my perspective things are good. Yes, as this is a Caribbean cruise, All deck chairs were occupied on sea days!

Service has been excellent in Waves, the Terrace, Grand Dining Room and Red Ginger.

The Terrace breakfast is much as I remember it- great choices, wonderful fresh fruit and outstanding pastries!

Our only dinner so far in the GDR was only so so but Red Ginger was exceptional.

Tea seems to be less extravagant- the cookies look store-bought and fewer savory choices. Wonderful classical music though.

The presentation today of future cruise booking did not give us any 2022 itinerary but the indicated there will be lots of new ones as well as new ports. They will be available to view our n their website tomorrow.

Overall I’m pleased so far but can definitely see they are cutting some corners.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

4 minutes ago, 4Lakes Lady said:

Overall I’m pleased so far but can definitely see they are cutting some corners.

That is the impression I am getting from reading here.

Will be on Marina in a May - have to see how many "corners" they are cutting and how big they are 😊

4 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

That is the impression I am getting from reading here.

Will be on Marina in a May - have to see how many "corners" they are cutting and how big they are 😊

I will see in one week when we board Riviera for two weeks in the Caribbean but certainly our experience last May on Marina in the western Mediterranean was a huge improvement from our previous year’s Oceania cruise, particularly in terms of service and food quality.  (However, IMO the entertainment in the main theater, misnamed a lounge, seems to be trending the other way.)

4 minutes ago, CintiPam said:

I will see in one week when we board Riviera for two weeks in the Caribbean but certainly our experience last May on Marina in the western Mediterranean was a huge improvement from our previous year’s Oceania cruise, particularly in terms of service and food quality.  (However, IMO the entertainment in the main theater, misnamed a lounge, seems to be trending the other way.)

Pam - keep in mind that Carib cruises are not always typical of cruises in other regions of the world for many reasons (true for most cruise lines).

That said, I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

2 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Pam - keep in mind that Carib cruises are not always typical of cruises in other regions of the world for many reasons (true for most cruise lines).

That said, I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

That has not been our experience at all.  The passenger demographic is very very different indeed (and as a result how that affects the chair hog situation and imbibing atmosphere, among other things) but the service, food quality and entertainment have been the same.  

Of course, since my spouse fell in love with Marina in 2011, the only two Oceania ships on which we have sailed since then are Marina and Riviera.

Thanks for your good wishes.