MDR Changes

Rudy888

We were on the Crown Princess for 28 days ending in Ft. Lauderdale in October. In the everyday section of the menu they no longer off a steak. Not a big deal for me as I don't have steak that often. I have also noticed that the menu selection for deserts is more limited than on the previous cruise. Maybe 1 or 2 new deserts, the rest are the everyday available deserts. No bad but it is a change. By the way, they have offered the Wine Package on the Crown.

• Like 1

We were also on the Crown last Oct and I may be wrong but I recall having a "Cowboy steak" in the DR a few times. It wasn't the best cut of meat but at least they offered it.

btw- it was better than what they had recently on the Regal. 

3 hours ago, Rudy888 said:

We were on the Crown Princess for 28 days ending in Ft. Lauderdale in October. In the everyday section of the menu they no longer off a steak. Not a big deal for me as I don't have steak that often. I have also noticed that the menu selection for deserts is more limited than on the previous cruise. Maybe 1 or 2 new deserts, the rest are the everyday available deserts. No bad but it is a change. By the way, they have offered the Wine Package on the Crown.

Got off 28 day with you, verify that you are right, less meat there, on side with everyday options, THAT has changed also, no steak, hamburger instead and the OTHER options they ALWAYS carried were gone, replaced by basic dishes, plain

• Like 1

I forgot to mention that they now offer an upcharge for a steak. One of my tablemates in December on the CB ordered one. It looked good except for the fact that he ordered it well done. If I had been feeling better on that cruise, I might have opted to do so as well since I was sailing solo. I don't fancy going to the Crown Grill by myself.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rudy888 said:

I have also noticed that the menu selection for deserts is more limited than on the previous cruise.

The ice cream selection on the Sky was limited to chocolate, vanilla & strawberry...no longer a nightly special flavor.  On many nights they had a profiterole with a different flavor of ice cream so I ordered just the ice cream. 😋 🍨

I have found that the steak being replaced with a burger is not that big of a deal. They have a nice beef dish almost every evening. Prime Rib, Roast Beef, Strip steak, Surf and Turf, Beef Wellington, etc etc.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, dznymom said:

Not concerned about the steak or desserts (I sure don't need them!) but very happy to hear they had the wine package available.  Hoping they offer it next month as wine with dinner makes me happy :classic_biggrin:

With enough wine, what is on the menu no longer matters.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

They've even managed to ruin ice cream. My most recent cruise, the ice 'cream' was more like ice 'milk' with lots of crystallization and no cream about it. My go to desert has always been the cruise ships. This time, I walked out with no desert more often than not.

As for food offerings, one night I had salad, soup and bread, and another night bread and soup, finding nothing else appetizing,(had a large salad earlier in the day). The fettuccine with chicken was my go to, but how many times do I want to eat that on a 14 day cruise? Dh must eat in the dining room for his special diet, and therefore I tag along. I found myself grabbing things elsewhere after supper.

I let princess know in the survey how disappointed I am with the current menus and especially the quality. I had one piece of meat that was 80% fat that I did not eat. And if I want hamburger, there are PLENTY of places around home to get one, thanks!

On a positive note, I didn't gain weight this cruise!

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, omc329 said:

I let princess know in the survey how disappointed I am with the current menus and especially the quality. I had one piece of meat that was 80% fat that I did not eat.

So why didn't you send it back for a better piece?

They would have gladly exchanged it in a matter of minutes.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

So why didn't you send it back for a better piece?

They would have gladly exchanged it in a matter of minutes.

I agree those surveys are a joke. They never react to any complaints like no chair in the rooms or menu selections. All those surveys do is target poor service between the passengers and the staff. All surveys are geared that way. If they actually cared what we wanted the balconies would be larger on newer builds and they would add back a promenade deck. If enough people sent back the poor quality food it would send a message.

17 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I agree those surveys are a joke. They never react to any complaints like no chair in the rooms or menu selections. All those surveys do is target poor service between the passengers and the staff. All surveys are geared that way. If they actually cared what we wanted the balconies would be larger on newer builds and they would add back a promenade deck. If enough people sent back the poor quality food it would send a message.

Many have stated that they're perfectly fine with the new sized balconies.  Typical comment: we only use the balcony for quick cup of coffee while we stand at the rail.  Others don't seem to miss the promenade either.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Many have stated that they're perfectly fine with the new sized balconies.  Typical comment: we only use the balcony for quick cup of coffee while we stand at the rail.  Others don't seem to miss the promenade either.

I guess some do and some don't...just like most things on the cruise.

27 minutes ago, omc329 said:

More to the point, should it have been served to begin with?

Probably not.

It doesn't happen very often but sometimes a rushed crew can let something get by them. No big deal as long as it's immediately corrected without having to wait 15 minutes for another item.

I can't recall the last time a waiter didn't check back after serving something that they didn't ask if everything was OK.

The desserts are declining on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean as well. I compare them to Costco and BJ’s bulk stock cakes, pies and pastry. Ice Cream is my fall back desert which I order most of the time. It’s a shame if they can’t get that right either.