Get rid of the buffets already!...

klfhngr

Should buffets go away?  

371 members have voted

1. 1. Should buffets go away?

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, LizzieB86 said:

You can't have everyone in a food court. Can you say capsize? Too much weight in one place is a no no.

Who says a food court has to be on an upper deck?   Locate it on the lowest deck - probably relocating the underfed ships workers to the upper deck - where their body masses would not compare with that of the obese passengers crowding that lower deck  to fill their faces (and, eventually, bloated bellies) - thereby ensuring greater stability.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Who says a food court has to be on an upper deck?   Locate it on the lowest deck - probably relocating the underfed ships workers to the upper deck - where their body masses would not compare with that of the obese passengers crowding that lower deck  to fill their faces (and, eventually, bloated bellies) - thereby ensuring greater stability.

Say an average size cruise size displaces 150,000 tons empty and holds 2,000 passengers. Assuming the average passenger weights 200lbs (probably error on the heavy side) that is 200 tons of passenger or 0.13% of the weight of the ship. They could all stand on one side and jump up and down in unison without rolling her, although they might rock her a bit which would only make the captain wish he never left container ships where the cargo being unbalanced didn't mean crazy.

4 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

In other words, ballast.  Lol.  

31 minutes ago, RonOhio said:

Say an average size cruise size displaces 150,000 tons empty and holds 2,000 passengers. Assuming the average passenger weights 200lbs (probably error on the heavy side) that is 200 tons of passenger or 0.13% of the weight of the ship. They could all stand on one side and jump up and down in unison without rolling her, although they might rock her a bit which would only make the captain wish he never left container ships where the cargo being unbalanced didn't mean crazy.

Don't underestimate what a little synchronized motion can do.  When they had the Golden Gate bridge celebration and we all piled on and started bouncing on it, we got a good motion going.     I think if we could get all the passengers to one side and get them sychronized you could make something interesting things happen 200 tons, that would be amazing to get it in aligned and moving, can those fat people dance?

4 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

Don't underestimate what a little synchronized motion can do.  When they had the Golden Gate bridge celebration and we all piled on and started bouncing on it, we got a good motion going.     I think if we could get all the passengers to one side and get them sychronized you could make something interesting things happen 200 tons, that would be amazing to get it in aligned and moving, can those fat people dance?

If i recall correctly the 200 to 300 thousand folks on the GG bridge during that celebration caused it to sag several feet.  Crazy to even think about.   Engineers said no real danger of collapse.   Still, I think I'll watch from the shore.   

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ldubs said:

If i recall correctly the 200 to 300 thousand folks on the GG bridge during that celebration caused it to sag several feet.  Crazy to even think about.   Engineers said no real danger of collapse.   Still, I think I'll watch from the shore.   

The sag wasn't what was amazing, we all started bouncing and for a while when we had it all synced it swung more and more and more, gladly we didn't get it going like below the Tacoma bridge, that would have been epic indeed!

57 minutes ago, RonOhio said:

You may or may not be right in your scientific evaluation of my proposal  — I just hope you did not think my offering was serious.

However, I have seen some Lidos where the average weight of the all-you-can-eat people sure seemed well over your 200 lb assumption.

3 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

The sag wasn't what was amazing, we all started bouncing and for a while when we had it all synced it swung more and more and more, gladly we didn't get it going like below the Tacoma bridge, that would have been epic indeed!

haha, and you guys were doing that on purpose for fun!  Oh, to be young again!  😋

I think a lot of good lessons were learned from the Tacoma Narrows bridge disaster.   

5 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

another one 

Le Buffet Ballast   for the masses

Please avoid bridges and skywalks......

Cheers Don

Hmmm, these are weighty matters.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

I wonder what we are all going to say or do if when this is all over they determine that buffets are not a significant CV-19 issue.  🤔

It's probably more a factor for norovirus. If they change it for covid 19 it will probably be more for show like much of airport security than any real effect.

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

I wonder what we are all going to say or do if when this is all over they determine that buffets are not a significant CV-19 issue.  🤔

I have already said it...in a few posts.  Nobody has presented any evidence that buffets are an issue in the spread of COVID-19.  We have looked all over the Internet for a single case that was contact traced back to a buffet and came up empty.  As time has gone on the evidence has continued to increase that surface spread of COVID-19 is, at best, very rare.

The CDC needs to hedge to cover up their previous incompetence and misinformation.  Here is their latest procouncment on this subject:

"The primary and most important mode of transmission for COVID-19 is through close contact from person-to-person. Based on data from lab studies on COVID-19 and what we know about similar respiratory diseases, it may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes, but this isn’t thought to be the main way the virus spreads."

Hank

Hank

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ldubs said:

But don't they know that they can be a problem for Noro and the like. Still seems like a good idea.

2 hours ago, clo said:

But don't they know that they can be a problem for Noro and the like. Still seems like a good idea.

CDC currently says COVID doesn’t seem to spread through food, the problem in a buffet is the unmasked, utensils and countertops. 

2 minutes ago, RonOhio said:

CDC currently says COVID doesn’t seem to spread through food, the problem in a buffet is the unmasked, utensils and countertops. 

Right. So having staff serve the plates helps enormously.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ldubs said:

8 minutes ago, clo said:

8 minutes ago, clo said:

8 minutes ago, clo said:

A brigade of soldiers (~4,000) famously brought down a suspension bridge in the UK marching in step. But I think that was before dampers were invented.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RonOhio said:

A brigade of soldiers (~4,000) famously brought down a suspension bridge in the UK marching in step. But I think that was before dampers were invented.

I had not heard of that before your post.  I looked that up.  The one I found was the Broughton Suspension Bridge.   They said after the incident there was a universal order for troops to "break step" when crossing a bridge.   

4 hours ago, clo said:

1 hour ago, RonOhio said:

1 hour ago, clo said:

My comment was really intended to be tongue-in-cheek.  You know,  like after 800+ posts we find out it was a non-issue.   I should have used more emoji's.  

Anyway, I have no reason to disagree with what you guys are saying.      

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I have already said it...in a few posts.  Nobody has presented any evidence that buffets are an issue in the spread of COVID-19.  We have looked all over the Internet for a single case that was contact traced back to a buffet and came up empty.  As time has gone on the evidence has continued to increase that surface spread of COVID-19 is, at best, very rare.

The CDC needs to hedge to cover up their previous incompetence and misinformation.  Here is their latest procouncment on this subject:

"The primary and most important mode of transmission for COVID-19 is through close contact from person-to-person. Based on data from lab studies on COVID-19 and what we know about similar respiratory diseases, it may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes, but this isn’t thought to be the main way the virus spreads."

Hank

Thanks Hank.  I was attempting some humor -- see post # 845.  

Anyway, I realize the CDC is saying no self serve for crew serving during this no sail period.  As thing are currently, my guess is they will keep it in place when passenger cruises start again.  I don't think CDC is saying it is the principal cause of spread.  Just another precaution.  I'm sure things will continue to change as more knowledge is gained.   

11 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

Hank

May  be, if, if , and if.  And yet there are posters here who for weeks take that as it is. The same as any possible side effects from anecdotal evidence as taken as proof by the same posters as further consequences of covid 19.

But, I do agree it can be helpful in preventing norovirus. Too often this has been done after the beginning of its spread rather than as a preventive measure.

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

May  be, if, if , and if.  And yet there are posters here who for weeks take that as it is. The same as any possible side effects from anecdotal evidence as taken as proof by the same posters as further consequences of covid 19.

But, I do agree it can be helpful in preventing norovirus. Too often this has been done after the beginning of its spread rather than as a preventive measure.

For quite a few years HAL actually practiced a strict preventative measure.  They would put their ships into "Code Orange" during the first two days after embarkation.  This meant that much of the self-service in the Lido was replaced by crew service.  It was the same procedure they used when there was Noro onboard.  While HAL thought it helped they would still have occasional Noro outbreaks.  About 3 years ago HAL changed their Lido system to something akin to Code Orange which became the new norm.  I do not know if it has been deemed successful but it might be the new standard for most lines in the post Covid-19 world.  As to how well the system works it does have its pros and cons.

Hank

8 hours ago, ldubs said:

Thanks Hank.  I was attempting some humor -- see post # 845.  

Anyway, I realize the CDC is saying no self serve for crew serving during this no sail period.  As thing are currently, my guess is they will keep it in place when passenger cruises start again.  I don't think CDC is saying it is the principal cause of spread.  Just another precaution.  I'm sure things will continue to change as more knowledge is gained.   

I agree. Like many things, a combo of things to do and not do is usually what winds up working.

I'm betting that buffets on land will not or are no longer self-serve.

I would just add that apparently when it comes to the cruise lines the CDC is not saying anything except "No cruise."!  It has been reported that cruise lines are developing their own mediation efforts without much (or any) CDC support.  There have been many times (with this virus) when the CDC does not seem to have it's act together.  What they say today may be changed tomorrow and again the next day, etc etc.  

Hank

• Like 2