Get rid of the buffets already!...

klfhngr

Should buffets go away?  

371 members have voted

1. 1. Should buffets go away?

• Yes
    • No

3 hours ago, clo said:

LOL. This has gone so far beyond "whipping a dead horse." It seems that some only want a venue (not going to use the "b" or "c" word) where they get to use utensils or their fingers and put the food on their plate rather than someone else doing it for them. If they can't have it their way then they'll go to a specialty. You and I are perfect; can't speak for the others lol 🙂

I'm far from perfect.  

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I don't care; I'm still going to call it a buffet as opposed to the dining rooms.😘😘

I'm going to call it a multi-faceted eatery.   😄

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, RonOhio said:

We just tell the hostess that we’d like to share our table, there are generally others who want to meet people on a cruise. We don’t do NCL, tried it once, had long waits to be seated at MDR.

Was it harder to find someone who wanted to share on NCL than on other lines? On NCL there are generally very few who wants to share. 

5 hours ago, clo said:

Good heavens, after all these posts do you still not understand that a "buffet" and a "cafeteria" are not the same thing? And if you can have everything served to you that you would want t serve yourself, what IS the problem?

As I said in the post you quoted, and many times before, NO PROBLEM!!!

Why is it so important  for you that I go to the buffet? I really don't understand.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, clo said:

Good heavens, after all these posts do you still not understand that a "buffet" and a "cafeteria" are not the same thing? And if you can have everything served to you that you would want t serve yourself, what IS the problem?

I took some time to read the first pages of the thread.

Reread post number 91 and 92 on page 4. Why have you changed your mind about understanding me? 

Edited by sverigecruiser

Only read a few of the 794 posts on this thread. What is this the 548th different thread about "buffets are gross" or words to that effect? There will probably need to be changes made to the way food is served in the "Buffet" or whatever new term people want to use. Buffets are not gross, it's the few slobs that don't respect themselves or others, that act irresponsibly that are gross.

Wash your hands, wear proper clothes ( don't be wandering in in your dripping swim wear or sweaty workout clothes or pajamas) and use the hand sanitizer that is always available. Don't feel up the food with your hands, all those thing your parents should have taught you by the time you were in Kindergarten.

• Like 2

I thought I would start a new thread since the buffet thread is approaching 800 posts.

When we were on the Maasdam with a buffet with servers, no one called it a cafeteria. There was no listing for cafeteria hours. When DW and I discussed what nights we would eat in the buffet instead of the dining room (she is tired of people serving her and how long it takes), the word cafeteria never came up. When she was on a lounge after swimming and wanted some decaf and maybe something small to eat, she would ask me to go to the buffet to get it for her, not the cafeteria.

Will I ever refer to the buffet as a cafeteria? No, never. I WON'T BACK DOWN. (Tom Petty)

As for those ANNOYING political correct posters who insist on using the term cafeteria, LET IT BE LET IT BE. (the Beatles)

If you keep insisting on calling it a cafeteria, I may have to change from WAIT A MINUTE CHESTER, I'M A PEACEFUL MAN (the Band) to a STREET FIGHTING MAN. (the Rolling Stones.)

As for how we somehow got from a poll get rid of the buffets already that overwhelmingly said keep them to replace them with a cafeteria, WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN. (the Grateful Dead) And I'll let the Grateful Dead have the last word on the subject.

Edited by Host Kat
Threads merged.
  • Haha 1

Words work better when they have meanings.  A buffet is generally and widely held to be  a self-service eating facility.   You might not like the mass- feeding images conjured by the term “cafeteria” :   OK , I do not like it either - but when the food is served by attendants, the place is not a buffet.  Let’s come up with an acceptable term which does not belie what is being discussed.

Those who insist upon calling a place where your food is served a “buffet” remind me of those who unblinkingly referred to the Russian military-occupied,  military dictatorship of East Germany as the “Democratic Republic of Germany”

Edited by navybankerteacher
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Choices are why most of us cruise.  Advocating for the removal of buffets is essentially demeaning those of us who believe buffets offer a better and safer dining experience.  Yes - dining vice eating. Have experienced too many formal 7 course "meals" is my lifetime, too many official functions, and too many formal "cocktail" parties.  That is not dining.  Today much prefer a quiet meal in a nice atmosphere.  That is usually not available on cruise ships, especially not in MDRs and not even in many "specialty" restaurants.  Have encountered many good people and had great conversations during evening buffets.  Social engagement is not limited to a loud, noisy, overcrowded MDR offering limited selections and served cool/cold.  Being served does not make one a social butterfly or connoisseur by any stretch of the imagination.  

In addition, I have been just about knocked over by people going to or leaving an MDR enroute to/from an evening show.  Very disturbing behavior.

I'm not advocating removal of the buffet (or cafeteria if it matters).  I'm also not advocating not allowing those who enjoy one venue for their evening meal be limited only to that venue.

It is unfortunate that you have been treated poorly by those leaving the MDR.  I suspect those same people would be rude in the morning hours if you were at the buffet the same time they were.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Words work better when they have meanings.  A buffet is generally and widely held to be  a self-service eating facility.   You might not like the mass- feeding images conjured by the term “cafeteria” :   OK , I do not like it either - but when the food is served by attendants, the place is not a buffet.  Let’s come up with an acceptable term which does not belie what is being discussed.

Those who insist upon calling a place where your food is served a “buffet” remind me of those who unblinkingly referred to the Russian military-occupied,  military dictatorship of East Germany as the “Democratic Republic of Germany”

It's a buffet, a place you can choose among a lot of different types of food.

A cafeteria is what I did everything to avoid in high school.

I think we have all read threads where someone was on a ship with a noro outbreak. And they write that the buffet now had servers. No one has ever wrote that they took the buffet away and replaced it with a cafeteria.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ATC cruiser said:

I vote we just call it the trough. 

Love it.....   or we could call it the eating place with no table service......

or  ""the trough""  a place with no table manners ( no dress code )

Ohhh, wait but drinks can be served to the table.......

Wait   called it food court.........

The place which it not a Dining Room...

reminds me of a movie "'the bed sitting room""

Time for a drink.... or was it popcorn...

Cheers Don

59 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Wouldn't that also pertain to the MDR as well? A buffet is a line where you serve yourself, a cafeteria is a line where someone else serves you. I have no animosity for the word or concept of "cafeteria".

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

AND PUT THE FOOD YOU CHOOSE ON YOUR PLATE.

A cafeteria is what I did everything to avoid in high school.

AND ASK THE SERVER TO PUT THE FOOD YOU CHOOSE ON YOUR PLATE.  

I think we have all read threads where someone was on a ship with a noro outbreak. And they write that the buffet now had servers. No one has ever wrote that they took the buffet away and replaced it with a cafeteria.

THAT IS THE RESULT OF PEOPLE NOT KNOWING THE MEANING OF WORDS. 

Interesting......to me, a cafeteria is where you go to the offered food, and serve yourself from pre-plated or pre-packaged food.  There may be options of food, but definitely no options of size/quantity.   A buffet is where you go to the offered food, and you or someone else will give you the food and quantities that you want.  

Obviously regional (or national) differences in definitions.  My school had a cafeteria, but the only food sold there was already prepared in individual servings.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I thought I would start a new thread since the buffet thread is approaching 800 posts.

When we were on the Maasdam with a buffet with servers, no one called it a cafeteria. There was no listing for cafeteria hours. When DW and I discussed what nights we would eat in the buffet instead of the dining room (she is tired of people serving her and how long it takes), the word cafeteria never came up. When she was on a lounge after swimming and wanted some decaf and maybe something small to eat, she would ask me to go to the buffet to get it for her, not the cafeteria.

Will I ever refer to the buffet as a cafeteria? No, never. I WON'T BACK DOWN. (Tom Petty)

As for those ANNOYING political correct posters who insist on using the term cafeteria, LET IT BE LET IT BE. (the Beatles)

If you keep insisting on calling it a cafeteria, I may have to change from WAIT A MINUTE CHESTER, I'M A PEACEFUL MAN (the Band) to a STREET FIGHTING MAN. (the Rolling Stones.)

As for how we somehow got from a poll get rid of the buffets already that overwhelmingly said keep them to replace them with a cafeteria, WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN. (the Grateful Dead) And I'll let the Grateful Dead have the last word on the subject.

Thanks for the morning laugh. 🤣 

I don't know if this helps😂 but here is the origin of cafeteria:

Perhaps the first self-service restaurant (not necessarily a cafeteria) in the U.S. was the Exchange Buffet in New York City, opened September 4, 1885, which catered to an exclusively male clientele. Food was purchased at a counter and patrons ate standing up.

During the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition in Chigaco, entrepreneur John Kruger built an American version of the smörgåsbords he had seen while traveling in Sweden. Emphasising the simplicity and light fare, he called it the 'Cafeteria' - Spanish for 'coffee shop'. The exposition attracted over 27 million visitors (half the U.S. population at the time) in six months, and it was because of Kruger's operation that America first heard the term and experienced the self-service dining format. 

A mid scale chain Childs Restaurant is credited with the innovation of adding trays and a "tray line" to the self-service format, introduced in 1898 at their 130 Broadway location.

It has been conjectured that the 'cafeteria craze' started in May 1905, when Helen Mosher opened a downtown L.A. restaurant where people chose their food at a long counter and carried their trays to their tables.

And here is the origins of buffet:

The term buffet originally referred to the 16th century French sideboard furniture where the food was placed, but eventually became applied to the serving format. In the 19th century Europe, supper, a lighter meal some hours after the main dinner, was sometimes served as a buffet (and so called), especially late at night at grand balls, where not everyone present would want to eat, or at the same time, or in the same quantity. Even in a very large building, at a large ball there might not be enough space to seat all guests at the same time, or servants to serve them in the manner required by the prevailing customs. A large cooked English breakfast with various choices was also very often routinely served this way, for similar reasons. Even when many servants were on hand, there might be an element of self-service.

At balls, the "buffet" was also where drinks were obtained, either by circulating footmen supplying orders from guests, but often by the male guests. During the Victorian period, it became usual for guests to have to eat standing up. In fact John Conrade Cooke's cookbook Cookery and Confectionery, (London: 1824) says it was already "the present fashion". In a report on a ball in 1904, a departure from "the usual stand-up buffet supper", with parties being able to reserve tables, was praised.

1 hour ago, getting older slowly said:

Love it.....   or we could call it the eating place with no table service......

or  ""the trough""  a place with no table manners ( no dress code )

Ohhh, wait but drinks can be served to the table.......

Wait   called it food court.........

The place which it not a Dining Room...

reminds me of a movie "'the bed sitting room""

Time for a drink.... or was it popcorn...

Cheers Don

Reflecting its purpose and the attitude/conduct of many of its patrons, how about 

Belly Filling Station?

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Reflecting its purpose and the attitude/conduct of many of its patrons, how about 

Belly Filling Station?

I would suggest "Grub Hub", but that might already be trademarked.